Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Anand Win a Game?
This poll is closed.
Yes 11 22.45%
No 4 8.16%
Hell No 1 2.04%
Hahaha No 11 22.45%
Putin has managed to become a threat to both Russia and World Peace because Obama is not a strong leader like Ronald Reagan 22 44.90%
Total: 49 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
I agree with him. I don't play slow time control tournaments or watch them live; my enjoyment is limited to post-game recaps. A change like that would be great news to me. I'd prefer 30+5 to 15+5 however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

If people want to watch near perfect chess, they can always watch two computers go at it.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Candidates are set. Aronian, Anand, Nakamura, Caruana, Karjakin, Topalov, Svidler, Giri.

gret posted:

If people want to watch near perfect chess, they can always watch two computers go at it.

It's not just about the best moves but the best that people can play. Time controls are already getting short enough so as to get in the way of proper (not even ideal) endgame play, we don't need to cut more away to the point that the professional level is just glorified rapid.

If you want a more interesting broadcast, then have larger tournaments (so that there's always action going on somewhere) and, more importantly, have broadcast crews better than Yasser Seirawan and Jen Shahade.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
I far preferred the tiebreak days in the recent World Cup. Even on the early days with 64 or 32 boards going at once the classic time controls just made it too hard (and time-consuming) to follow the thread of games from start to finish. On the other hand, I found some of the tiebreak matches (Karjakin-Mamedyarov and Svidler-Karjakin spring to mind, and Wei Yi did some cool stuff) absolutely thrilling. Who cares that it wasn't perfect play, it was the kind of sporting drama that is going to hook people into chess far more than technical endgame play. It's okay for players to make errors.

That's my opinion, anyways.

Hand Knit posted:

glorified rapid
has a lot going for it.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
No Grischuk?

xIlluminatusx
Mar 4, 2012

King Pawn posted:

I far preferred the tiebreak days in the recent World Cup. Even on the early days with 64 or 32 boards going at once the classic time controls just made it too hard (and time-consuming) to follow the thread of games from start to finish. On the other hand, I found some of the tiebreak matches (Karjakin-Mamedyarov and Svidler-Karjakin spring to mind, and Wei Yi did some cool stuff) absolutely thrilling. Who cares that it wasn't perfect play, it was the kind of sporting drama that is going to hook people into chess far more than technical endgame play. It's okay for players to make errors.

That's my opinion, anyways.

has a lot going for it.

But doesn't this limit enjoyment of the game? I can't speak for everyone, but I love sitting down and watching chess because it takes awhile and there's plenty strategy and ideas/tricks involved. Enjoying the depth of the game, basically. By just making it rapid and faster means people mess up more and don't have time to really think about everything. It's just blindly moving pieces around to see who comes out on top. To me that's not an enjoyable way to play chess. I play chess because I like to form a strategy and take my time. It's a game of patience, not "MAKE A MOVE FAST!" to me.

Then again, I'm like 1200. So maybe it's more interesting to me because I don't really understand every single best possible move to make in X circumstance like grandmasters and computers can. But fast games and draws midway through the game never appealed to me. It seems to take out all the fun in playing and makes it so fast that it becomes less of a game about strategy and out thinking your opponent and more about just making fast moves and hoping your opponent makes an easily found blunder you can exploit.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

xIlluminatusx posted:

It's just blindly moving pieces around to see who comes out on top.

Sorry but that's just utter nonsense. Nobody's talking about making the time control 1 0 (although even that absurdly quick the best players tend to be GMs..), 45 minutes plus increment is absolutely ample time to play a real game of chess.

Okay so they don't get half-hour thinks for a single move any more. This is OK by me as a spectator because those are loving boring!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

King Pawn posted:

45 minutes plus increment is absolutely ample time to play a real game of chess.

Okay so they don't get half-hour thinks for a single move any more. This is OK by me as a spectator because those are loving boring!

For what it's worth, the prevailing attitude at top levels is something of the sort that "150 minutes is not enough time to play a real game of chess." One of the central pieces of this sentiment is that there isn't enough time to play endgames correctly, and shortened time controls would just exacerbate that.

As for spectating being boring, I don't think there's going to be much of a difference between a game not moving for 30 minutes and a game not moving for 5 minutes if the commentary is trash. And if the commentary is good, then half an hour isn't so hard to fill. It's worth underlining that this is also only a particular problem when there is only one game going and when that is the case you're dealing with a match where you really want to tilt things in favour of best human play (Knockouts Final, World Championship match). For most top level tournaments, like candidates, the grand prix, or the new Sinquefield thing, you've got 6 games going at any given time, so any one game sitting for half an hour isn't such a big deal since other games are still moving. (I'm also putting aside that covering six games at rapid time control does not work very well, even with good commentary.)

And, as a side note where I'll try to not be too snarky, but "boringness" in chess is almost always a function of a lack of understanding. The way to obviate this, then, isn't to make the games quicker but to get better broadcast crews.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Would both parties be happy with shorter time controls, but also fewer moves until the time control is abandoned? So, this leads to more dynamic openings and tactical midgames, but still leaves time for a well-played end game.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

For what it's worth, the prevailing attitude at top levels is something of the sort that "150 minutes is not enough time to play a real game of chess." One of the central pieces of this sentiment is that there isn't enough time to play endgames correctly, and shortened time controls would just exacerbate that.

As for spectating being boring, I don't think there's going to be much of a difference between a game not moving for 30 minutes and a game not moving for 5 minutes if the commentary is trash. And if the commentary is good, then half an hour isn't so hard to fill. It's worth underlining that this is also only a particular problem when there is only one game going and when that is the case you're dealing with a match where you really want to tilt things in favour of best human play (Knockouts Final, World Championship match). For most top level tournaments, like candidates, the grand prix, or the new Sinquefield thing, you've got 6 games going at any given time, so any one game sitting for half an hour isn't such a big deal since other games are still moving. (I'm also putting aside that covering six games at rapid time control does not work very well, even with good commentary.)

And, as a side note where I'll try to not be too snarky, but "boringness" in chess is almost always a function of a lack of understanding. The way to obviate this, then, isn't to make the games quicker but to get better broadcast crews.

I'm not disputing that you can play better chess with more time. This is obvious. I just dispute the principle that the point of a chess tournament is to produce perfect play. If that's what you want I'd recommend correspondence chess or TCEC.

As a spectator, what I watch for is in large part sporting drama and excitement. If the trade-off is that players lose a few dozen ELO of objective strength that most spectators could hardly detect without Stockfish I'm perfectly fine with that.

And as for the last point, there are legitimate reasons to not want to sit down and watch people play chess for six loving hours that don't involve my being a clueless patzer, although you are right that having a few games in tandem helps.

Anyways, it looks like there are actually some high level rapid events coming - the Zurich Chess Challenge will be played at 40+10 apparently. Personally, I'm looking forward to it.

xIlluminatusx
Mar 4, 2012

King Pawn posted:

I'm not disputing that you can play better chess with more time. This is obvious. I just dispute the principle that the point of a chess tournament is to produce perfect play. If that's what you want I'd recommend correspondence chess or TCEC.

As a spectator, what I watch for is in large part sporting drama and excitement.

The goal isn't to have perfect play. I doubt even computers have "perfect" play. The goal is to just give these grandmasters enough time to sort through everything they need to before making a move. Why the focus on sporting drama and excitement anyway? This is chess; it's not E! TV. It's not football. Chess is a thinking game. Obviously a lot of the fun as a spectator comes in from wondering what move they'll make or who will win. Do we really need to make chess all about drama and action when it's a game based on patience and strategy? Come on. If you want that there's wrestling and tons of other games full of excitement and drama. Chess isn't that kind of game, so why do we need that kind of play here? And that's not an insult. I love football and love a good bit of excitement, but chess has always been a slower paced game based on out thinking the opponent and picking the best strategy you can and hoping to outwit your opponent. I don't think it's meant to be this fast paced and drama filled game like other sports where there's something happening every second.

The only drama comes from theorizing about which player wins. Will Vishy win? Carlsen? And why? Who's gonna be world chess champ? Will X move be enough to force a win? If so, why? As a spectator a lot of the fun comes in trying to figure out the logic behind the strategy and moves of the grandmasters. Because we don't know the game as well as them so why would they make X move? Is that gonna be a blunder or will it become one of the moves we all try at the local club? That's the drama and fun. It's all mental. It's not like Carlsen is gonna take a steel chair to the latest contender for world chess champ and call him names on a mic. I don't know what drama and excitement you really expect from a game that is inherently mental in nature.

And lowering the time limits just ensures they don't play their best and has them gently caress up a lot. That doesn't make the game more exciting. At least to me that makes the game less exciting because I know it's practically a coin toss between who wins rather than the guy who truly came with the best strategy possible. I'm not asking for perfection, I'm just asking to see the best possible game these guys can play. And playing the best you can isn't demanding perfection or anything of the sort. Because even your best game that beats X guy can probably be countered at some point by someone else in the future.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Yes a 2 hour game of chess is nothing but a pro wrestling style coin-flipping circus, that's a superb argument.

I'm just speaking to what I want to watch as a (potentially) paying spectator. Getting rid of stupid poo poo like adjournments didn't ruin chess, neither would this. And honestly I'm fine with the world championship circuit staying as is for the purists, and maybe the increasing use of rapid chess for tiebreaks and side tournaments will do for me. Different strokes and all :)

By the way go watch one of those tiebreak matches I mentioned a few posts back and tell me those weren't gripping as hell.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

One of my favorite time quotes is Ben Finegold's "if a player takes a half hour to make a move, it's probably a bad one"

Also the St. Louis chess club has a ton of Ben Finegold videos. They're pretty great.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
If only there were a way to have a variety of events, some of which are at shorter time controls than others!

I get where Shahade came from in his piece, but I think he seriously underestimates how much some people enjoy and care about long chess games. I enjoy everything from 1 0 to correspondence chess for different reasons, and I can't possibly be alone.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Hey chess people. Anyone got any good chess books they'd recommend? Looking for both an introduction to chess (nothing too basic though; no 'chess for dumbies') and an interest chess-oriented read.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Carlsen, Kramnik, So, Karjakin and Giri all playing the Qatar Masters this week. Carlsen already dropped four ELO points for a draw against an IM!

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

V for Vegas posted:

Carlsen, Kramnik, So, Karjakin and Giri all playing the Qatar Masters this week. Carlsen already dropped four ELO points for a draw against an IM!

woohoo chess drama best drama!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

V for Vegas posted:

It was the first time he'd played someone <2500 in close to 10 years.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hou Yifan is going well at Wijk aan Zee. First female to 2800?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

V for Vegas posted:

Hou Yifan is going well at Wijk aan Zee. First female to 2800?

That's a strong ask but she'll probably pass Polgar's rating record eventually.

Also, last round goes tomorrow. The top 3 right now is Carlsen at 8.5, Caruana at 8, and Ding Liren at 7.5. Then you have a bunch at 6.5. Because of the matchups, first in the tournament is still up in the air: Carlsen and Ding play, with Carlsen having the white pieces. Caruana has black, but against Tomashevsky who has not played very well this tournament.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Carlsen and Ding drew which, since Caruana is in line to lose, leaves Carlsen as clear winner by a full point. There are only two games still going (Hou is beating Giri and Tomashevsky is beating Caruana), but it's still worth tuning in to the chess24 stream because Svidler and Gustafsson are becoming increasingly unhinged. Right now one is talking about the UK nuclear arms stockpile, while the other is talking about chewing gum.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Are there any tournaments where they invite the top ranked players, like 1-14?

singe
Aug 24, 2008

I want to ride my bicycle.
I think it happens fairly frequently, Sinquefield cup, Norway Chess, Candidates Tournament to name a few.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Yifan Hou is playing a match against some <2500 I've never heard of, and just won a hysterical game.

http://chess-db.com/public/game.jsp?id=8602980.3409350.14856448.29114

singe
Aug 24, 2008

I want to ride my bicycle.
What the heck is black doing? Moving all his pieces to the last rank doesn't make any sense, and it wasn't like they were being rerouted to new squares. It's games like this which make me come to the false illusion that I have a chance of defeating an IM/GM when s/he is having an off day.

edit: Decent analysis of the game on chess24: https://chess24.com/en/read/news/hou-yifan-gives-henriquez-no-chance

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

https://vimeo.com/149875793

Maurice Ashley goes undercover to thrash a hustler in Washington Square Park.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Hand Knit posted:

https://vimeo.com/149875793

Maurice Ashley goes undercover to thrash a hustler in Washington Square Park.

The guy even tried, not just to move twice and take two pieces, but he moved Ashley's knight 1 square backwards to do it, too. drat, the balls.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Women's world championship starts tomorrow

http://www.lviv2016.fide.com/

10 game match. Hou should win by game 7 or 8 I would think.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

The location for the next World Title match has been announced... and it's NYC.

https://www.fide.com/component/content/article/1-fide-news/9471-the-world-chess-championship-comes-to-new-york-city-.html

quote:

NEW YORK, March 1, 2016: The 2016 FIDE World Chess Championship, the pinnacle of the global sport played by more than 600 million people, is to take place in New York.

The month-long contest will take place in November between Norwegian Magnus Carlsen - the reigning champion and the highest ranked player in history - and the winner of the forthcoming Candidates Tournament, which will take place in Moscow in the next few weeks.

The 12 round match will take place between 11-30 November and is expected to attract a global online and TV audience of more than 1 billion fans. The two Grandmasters will compete for a prize fund of at least 1 million euros ($1.1m).

Official site here

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!
Hello again chess thread. Come play my neural network chess engine: http://spawk.fish/play

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Nippashish posted:

Hello again chess thread. Come play my neural network chess engine: http://spawk.fish/play

Yay I beat it. :3:

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

silvergoose posted:

Yay I beat it. :3:

Yes, it still needs some work to be actually good :) It's better than I thought it would be at this stage though!

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
This is neat - a data visualisation of 2 million chess games

http://blog.ebemunk.com/a-visual-look-at-2-million-chess-games/

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Hand Knit posted:

The location for the next World Title match has been announced... and it's NYC.

https://www.fide.com/component/content/article/1-fide-news/9471-the-world-chess-championship-comes-to-new-york-city-.html

Official site here

Looking forward to this! Easy commute into the city for me, and hopefully I can get credentialed for bonus access.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Only problem with the Candidates is Svidler is playing not commentating.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Why is the Candidates website such a piece of poo poo? I can't find any information about schedules or anything.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Why is the Candidates website such a piece of poo poo? I can't find any information about schedules or anything.

Are you looking at the AGON website or the worldchess one? The schedule is on the worldchess one under the "visit" tab for some reason. Links to watch the most up to date cast are also there (AGON is delaying retransmission for, you know, proprietary reasons).

Anand was the only winner today, beating Topalov in a game that seemed to be pretty easy for him. It would be pretty funny if he won candidates again. And, I mean, he can't be any more of a longshot than last time, can he?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

Anand was the only winner today, beating Topalov in a game that seemed to be pretty easy for him. It would be pretty funny if he won candidates again. And, I mean, he can't be any more of a longshot than last time, can he?
Please don't joke about that. Nobody wants to see Carlsen-Anand 3.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Please don't joke about that. Nobody wants to see Carlsen-Anand 3.

Anand winning candidates might spur FIDE to end the championship match format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

Anand winning candidates might spur FIDE to end the championship match format.
Do we... want that? Are people pushing for a round robin style tournament to decide the world champion?

• Locked thread