Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Anand Win a Game?
This poll is closed.
Yes 11 22.45%
No 4 8.16%
Hell No 1 2.04%
Hahaha No 11 22.45%
Putin has managed to become a threat to both Russia and World Peace because Obama is not a strong leader like Ronald Reagan 22 44.90%
Total: 49 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Now everyone's tied with 3.5/7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

When I posted that link above, I didn't know this had already started! Any place to see (play through) the completed games?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Try chess24: https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/ultimate-blitz-challenge-garry-kasparov/

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Here we go again!

https://www.twitch.tv/saintlouischessclub

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Wow Wesley.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Huh, speaking of blitz chess, did you guys know that apparently Carlsen and Nakamura played a 40-game blitz match (3+1) in the middle of the night in Moscow in 2010?

Background:
http://www.uschess.org/content/view/10889/611

Results:
http://www.thechessmind.net/blog/2011/1/5/the-carlsen-nakamura-match-results.html
Carlsen 24.5-15.5

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 4, 2016

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
I had heard that, and it seems reasonably likely they could play another blitz match in the chess.com tournament going on. One of the quarter-finals (Nakamura-Harikrishna) is starting in a few hours, I believe.

I'm glad that major blitz and rapid events seem to be gaining popularity. Screw purism, it's more fun that way.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
lmao

https://www.facebook.com/chess/videos/10154267742909571/

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
The new season's Grand Chess Tour is starting up today with a rapid/blitz tournament in Paris. Games/coverage here.

First round is in the books. Carlsen lost to So on time despite being up a queen, and Caruana beat Topalov quite soundly. Also the US feed has Kasparov kicking around.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Is this for real, that Magnus just dropped his Queen for nothing?!

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

So Nakamura drops the first 3 games in a row today, but he'll probably consider today a success because he beat Carlsen.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

MrMojok posted:

Is this for real, that Magnus just dropped his Queen for nothing?!

More or less embarrassing than when he flagged against So while up a queen?

e: This has not stopped him from clinching Leuven with three whole rounds to go. Dude is for real, I guess.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 20, 2016

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1826191

From Dortmund just now. Kramnik sacrifices a piece, then another piece, then his queen. All on speculation.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Naka just beat Carlsen in a game of chess at classical time controls! And with black! :woop: :woop:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So wins Sinquefield.

Current standings of the "Grand Chess Tour" (is this a new thing?)

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I'll make a new thread in November, in time for the Carlsen-Karjakin match.

V for Vegas posted:

Current standings of the "Grand Chess Tour" (is this a new thing?)

Last year was the first one. Last year was all classical chess, but they added blitz and rapid this year. There's only the London Classic left on it this year, so catching So will be pretty hard — Only Lev and Naka can do it, and that would require them winning the tournament while So finishes no higher than third last.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

The Olympiad starts today. It's an interesting year for Canada, which is putting forwards its strongest team yet thanks to recently converted Evgeny Bareev. The team isn't without controversy, though, as the CFC decided to pick Alexandre LeSiege as the fifth player. LeSiege is a GM, but he's been almost entirely inactive for the past seven years. He showed up to the Quebec Open this year and didn't completely embarrass himself, so he was appointed to the team probably under the hope that this would keep him playing. That has to be the reason — otherwise picking him over Preotu is just baffling.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Great day at the Olympiad today. Wild game between Shirov and Rapport, but I'm more a fan of the pawn endgame between Kovalyov and Bruzon.

Rxa5 bxa5 and now white will queen with check on c8.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Hey, the US is playing Canada in the last round of the Olympiad for a chance to win the gold medal.

e: the US has the chance to win the gold medal, that is.

gret fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 12, 2016

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

gret posted:

Hey, the US is playing Canada in the last round of the Olympiad for a chance to win the gold medal.

e: the US has the chance to win the gold medal, that is.

Yes. They're currently tied with Ukraine, but hold the tiebreaker.

I'm not entirely sure how Canada is fourth right now. Kovalyov is playing well, but nobody is having an especially miraculous tournament. But they've been in every game, and even their losses are matches they could have won. I guess they have gotten somewhat lucky on pairings to now, missing some top teams (India, Russia), and having other theoretically top teams turn out terrible tournaments (looking at you, France).

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Yeah I was really surprised when Bareev popped up on first board for Canada. That's a blast from the past. Also haven't heard about Lesiege for a while.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

gret posted:

Yeah I was really surprised when Bareev popped up on first board for Canada. That's a blast from the past. Also haven't heard about Lesiege for a while.

Him being on the team was, uh, "controversial."

singe
Aug 24, 2008

I want to ride my bicycle.
Why is Eric Hansen board 4?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

singe posted:

Why is Eric Hansen board 4?

Probably a strategic decision along the lines of "have LeSiege hold the draw on board 3 while Hansen plays for a win on board 4." See also Russia's board order, with Kramnik sitting below Karjakin, and Grischuk theoretically being the fifth board, but being higher rated than both Tomashevsky and Nepomniachtchi and also playing every game.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

This is pretty maddening waiting for tiebreaks to resolve itself based on how your past opponents are doing this round.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

gret posted:

This is pretty maddening waiting for tiebreaks to resolve itself based on how your past opponents are doing this round.

US wins. Kinda want to make fun of LeSiège for punting the last game, but he would've been in tough to hold it anyway, and Nakamura probably could have pressed on against Kovalyov.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Yo Magnus, we may have an opening on board 4 for you to fill in 2018, that is if Jeffery Xiong isn't 2800 by then.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

lol

Given that even Shankland was talking like he was unhappy with Caruana and So fed switching, I wonder how much poo poo they got for it.

vyshka
Aug 10, 2010
I'm a bit behind on my chess news reading it seems, as I just found out today about Mark Dvoretsky passing away last month. Sad year with both him and Korchnoi passing away. Everyone ready for the match in November?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I would say yes, but I haven't made the new thread yet. I'm not expecting the match to be so close, even if Magnus isn't at his best.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
What makes you say that? At least yesterday Magnus was in a great form during the blitz battle against Quackamura.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Pretty sure he's saying Magnus will beat Karjakin comfortably. Which seems the most likely result, but Karjakin is no joke and 12 matches isn't all that long, so who knows?

And yeah, I'm looking forward to it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

To be fair, is there anyone who really has a chance to beat Magnus in Bo12?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Maybe Caruana if he gets into the form he showed at last year's Sinquefield Cup? So is also still very young and has made a significant step up this year, so maybe him for the next cycle.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

To be fair, is there anyone who really has a chance to beat Magnus in Bo12?

I think there's a few people who have a chance to do it. I mean, Anand could have conceivably won the last match. But Carlsen most likely holds the title at least until Wei Yi comes through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3797706

new thread honk honk

• Locked thread