Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Naturally Selected posted:

Can we all agree that 5th/6th-gen Outbacks are bloated as gently caress, at least? Subaru should stop feeding everything a nonstop diet of Big Macs. 2009 was the last good Legacy year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

kastein posted:

I briefly considered SASing a mazda mpv since they came in 4x4 5 speed but then I realized the name sounds like an STD and all I would get out of it was an ugly mazda cherokee with a lovely loving engine, the same fuel economy, less power, and a sliding door. Pass.

You also wouldn't get a sliding door as that would have made sense.
I grew up with one of those mpv's and they had a giant normal door to smash into cars parked beside us.
Sorry other people.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

dissss posted:

Outback
Audi Allroad, or the lifted version of the Impreza Subaru

all of those are station wagons with slight off-road oriented modifications (body cladding, more ground clearance.) is the 4g legacy wagon a crossover? no. then why would lifting it 3" and putting body cladding on it make it a SUV-lite? its a wagon with a modified suspension and body trim. not to speak heresay, but would it fit your definition of crossover if I put lowering springs on it? I guess you could call it a crossover if you really wanted to, but it's just about the most crossover-lite crossover possible. to me part of being a crossover is emulating the SUV-look on a car frame, something none of those cars do.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 12, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
This is the worst loving argument and I can't believe you spergs are having it.

blindjoe posted:

You also wouldn't get a sliding door as that would have made sense.
I grew up with one of those mpv's and they had a giant normal door to smash into cars parked beside us.
Sorry other people.

Huh. Not sure how I didn't notice that, guess I was too busy ogling the ford 8.8 out back, transfer case, mantrans, etc :v:

(Saw one in the junkyard)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hey guys an SUV is just a station wagon on a truck frame (instead of a car frame back when those had ladder chassis too), if we're willing to make that distinction then Crossover/Wagon is just as simultaneously valid and meaningless.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
IIRC, in the 70s and 80s Suburbans were considered wagons, because the concept of the SUV had not yet reared its ugly head. So call your cars whatever the gently caress you want.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

leica posted:

So you're saying that raising a wagon a few inches turns it into a crossover. Gotcha. :ms:

What's a Holden overlander? Still a holden wagon?
e: http://theamazoeffect.blogspot.com.au/2011/09/holden-hz-overlander.html

I'm not arguing with you or anyone in this stupid debate, just using it as an excuse to post an overlander.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 12, 2015

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

A beautiful wagon that I would lovingly restore and drive every day, yes.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tetrapyloctomy posted:

IIRC, in the 70s and 80s Suburbans were considered wagons, because the concept of the SUV had not yet reared its ugly head. So call your cars whatever the gently caress you want.

They're still listed that way as "body type" on PA registrations.

(I'm pretty sure they are still using the same computer system from the 70s TBH)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

They're issued Truck plates here.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Let's just throw hatchbacks in there and make it a free for all. I like this idea. Hyundai Tuscon.... hatchback :getin:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Godholio posted:

I call crossovers minivans and it pisses people off.

This is the single good thing to come out of this dumb discussion. I'm stealing this.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I do that to people with SUV's too. "Yeah that is a pretty sweet ride but I'm just not that big on minivans tbh"

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Adiabatic posted:

This is the single good thing to come out of this dumb discussion. I'm stealing this.

Crossovers are high-sitting hatchbacks or minivans, SUVs are high-sitting wagons. Take off the high cladding around the wheel wells and bottom of the chassis found on many models and it becomes even more apparently.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Sigma X posted:

Crossovers are high-sitting hatchbacks or minivans, SUVs are high-sitting wagons. Take off the high cladding around the wheel wells and bottom of the chassis found on many models and it becomes even more apparently.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
30 new posts? Let's see what's going on in here!

:yikes:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

GramCracker posted:

30 new posts? Let's see what's going on in here!

:yikes:

You've crossed over into something awful

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

OSU_Matthew posted:

You've crossed over into something awful

This doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of what the F1 thread is.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

GramCracker posted:

I've been lurking that thread for years. What a disaster

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Not on my car persay (I've been extremely fortunate and have been able to fix everything myself on my vehicles) but I don't think I'll ever trust a dealer to so much as change my tires anymore.

I thought it'd be a snap to change the tube/tyre on my motorcycle, because hey, I've done that plenty of times on my bicycle. Well, four hours and three pinched tubes later, I said gently caress it and took the wheels into Iron Pony to have them slip some new tubes in. Keep in mind I'd already done 93% of the work--the tires were already dismounted, new tires half on, plenty of talc lube left in the wheel.

But nope, they managed to do the most halfassed mounting job where they didn't even bother lining up the mark on the lightest part on the tyre with the valve stem, making things a bitch to balance, and charged me seventy bucks for at most five minutes of work

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
The only person I trust to mount tubes and tires on my old motorcycles is a strange bearded man at a local cycle salvage place who removed my old tire and put the new one on with tube in less than 10 minutes by bracing it between his legs and going to town with a shitload of tire levers. After that he balanced it and it was perfect. Dude is an artist.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

two_beer_bishes posted:

I've been lurking that thread for years. What a disaster

It's the worst, but I love everything about it. :allears:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

GramCracker posted:

Why did I go look at that thread? Why!?! They are arguing over how to address someone with a knighthood, no one cares.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

8ender posted:

The only person I trust to mount tubes and tires on my old motorcycles is a strange bearded man at a local cycle salvage place who removed my old tire and put the new one on with tube in less than 10 minutes by bracing it between his legs and going to town with a shitload of tire levers. After that he balanced it and it was perfect. Dude is an artist.

Sounds like you found a wizard.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

GramCracker posted:

It's the worst, but I love everything about it. :allears:

I keep going back

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Sigma X posted:

The Mercedes-Benz GLA-class is a compact SUV, unless you get the GLA45 AMG, which is so low it's actually considered a station wagon.

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Don't be fooled into replying, I am either a lesson in Poe's Law or incredibly fucking stupid, or both. Also I can't read charts and graphs and think image macros about Paul Ryan's genius are fun and exciting! Run me over with Biden's Trans-Am!
poo poo I'm looking at a used car from this dealership, and they are offering me a lifetime warranty on the powertrain and pretty much anything else. It's a $100 deductible but all I have to do is keep it routinely serviced at whatever dealership I like. After reading this thread and how service centers treat warranties, I'm starting to have second thoughts now.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Yinzer posted:

poo poo I'm looking at a used car from this dealership, and they are offering me a lifetime warranty on the powertrain and pretty much anything else. It's a $100 deductible but all I have to do is keep it routinely serviced at whatever dealership I like. After reading this thread and how service centers treat warranties, I'm starting to have second thoughts now.

I'm remembering a story where a guy tried to claim a failing clutch slave cylinder on Nissan's powertrain warranty. Nissan refused on the grounds that the slave cylinder isn't part of the transmission or drivetrain, since it was outside of the transmission, and thus an accessory... except Nissan had put it inside the bellhousing, which then turned a simple repair just one step above a brake job into an ordeal requiring dropping the trans.

We can't read all of the fine print on the warranty you're talking about, but on it's face, it sounds like you'll be paying now for the pleasure of spending money to jump through hoops, for the chance you might save more money in the future than you're guaranteed to spend immediately & down the line.

NoWake fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 15, 2015

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Read every word of the warranty if you don't want to be really pissed later. Most warranties make you pay for diagnosis, exclude a ton of things you'd expect to be covered, only pay up to a certain amount of labor per hour, only use aftermarket parts, etc.

I work at a service department in a dealership and see daily that the salesmen lie through their teeth when selling these warranties.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

NoWake posted:

except Nissan had put it inside the bellhousing, which then turned a simple repair just one step above a brake job into an ordeal requiring dropping the trans.

This level of incompetent engineering makes me literally nauseous.

I remember changing a water pump on a 94 Bonneville (3800 V6) and the center bolt was too long to remove without removing a motor mount and jacking the engine a few degrees.

Special place in hell for those assholes.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yinzer posted:

Remember that the dealership is going to make money off of this by a long shot. In this case, they're expecting less profit up front and more on the long run by charging you for every bit of maintenance.

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Don't be fooled into replying, I am either a lesson in Poe's Law or incredibly fucking stupid, or both. Also I can't read charts and graphs and think image macros about Paul Ryan's genius are fun and exciting! Run me over with Biden's Trans-Am!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Remember that the dealership is going to make money off of this by a long shot. In this case, they're expecting less profit up front and more on the long run by charging you for every bit of maintenance.

Just curious how would the dealership, who would be selling me the warranty (they are underwriting it also), getting more profit down the road cause I do not plan on going to this dealer for service since they are out of state.

Looking at $2k for the warranty but like I said I could take it wherever I'd like to.

Just to be clear, the powertrain covers the life of my ownership and extra insurance goes through 100k miles which will be "forever" to me. So basically maintenance then $100 copay for anything else, it covers a fuckton.

It just sounds too good to be true honestly.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That's what the salesman said, isn't it? Read the whole warranty including the fine print.

Oh wait... that custom title. OK, do whatever you were gonna do in the first place.

LeeMajors posted:

This level of incompetent engineering makes me literally nauseous.

I remember changing a water pump on a 94 Bonneville (3800 V6) and the center bolt was too long to remove without removing a motor mount and jacking the engine a few degrees.

Special place in hell for those assholes.

That's almost certainly because the motor was designed for the 1961 model year (wow, I had no idea - the same basic block was used from 61 till 08!) for a much larger, more spacious chassis, and also the engineer who designed the motor and its cooling system didn't have any info on what was going around it yet. Then someone shoehorned it into a smaller car 31 years later (your Bonneville) with a different motor mount configuration that interferes and said gently caress it whatever not our problem, management said to use this stupid motor, the motor package shows up completely assembled anyways, it won't affect assembly times.

e: the funniest part is that GM sold the Buick 3800 design to Kaiser Jeep in '67, after only 6 years of production, and then bought it back about a decade later from AMC when the fuel crisis hit. Then kept building the drat thing until 2008. 47 years isn't a bad run for an engine design, I guess.

Same thing is how oil filters get impossible to access, crank position sensors are uniformly located in The Worst loving Spot God drat Whoever Designed This poo poo, etc. Subaru oil filters that live in "the ring of fire" and XJ/ZJ oil filters that are sideways right below the oil pressure sensor and next to the uninsulated starter motor wiring (because they would have interfered with the frame rail if mounted the same way they were originally, so a perennially leaking adaptor casting gets bolted on with the worlds largest banjo bolt) are perfect examples, the motors are based on designs decades older from when engine compartments were significantly less cluttered and compact.

kastein fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 15, 2015

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Because of the actuarial basics of warranties.

They aren't selling you a warranty for $2k and expecting you to be able to get $2k worth of work out of it. They have every intention of fine printing you to death over bullshit and paying out somewhere between $500 and $0 over the life of the contract.

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

kastein posted:

That's what the salesman said, isn't it? Read the whole warranty including the fine print.

Oh wait... that custom title. OK, do whatever you were gonna do in the first place.
Yeah I hear you, I have the brochure. The salesman seemed like a very open guy.

And as far as my custom title, I'm a conservative and there was a lot of back and forth here during the '12 Prez election.

I've always been wary of dealers and the service they provide, but with this warranty and they'd give me a loaner at the dealer I have to really think about it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yinzer posted:

It just sounds too good to be true honestly.

Like I said before, it is. There are tons of loopholes built into these warranties, and "powertrain" does not cover nearly the amount of components that you probably think it does.

I had a customer come in with a "bumper to bumper" warranty from some crappy company and it was sad how little it covered.

His A/C was blowing warm. They made him pay for the diagnosis. We found the condenser leaking. Not covered.

His power lift gate wasn't working. Again, they made him pay for diagnosis. We found the liftgate switch was bad. Not covered.

He had two window switches that needed to be replaced. Not covered.

Tie Rod ends and some other suspension/steering issues. All not covered.

His front differential was internally destroyed. They made him pay to dissassemble the entire thing to find the point of failure. After they confirmed it was a covered item. They told him they were putting in a used differential from a junkyard. They only pay $60 per hour though, (we charge $120). We put the used differential in, and it was just as destroyed as the one we took out. They made him pay to remove and disassemble THAT one. Then pay the $60 an hour that they didn't cover to put in the second used differential. (Which was on it's way out, but not broken so they left it in).

They also only paid for 3 days of a rental, when the car was in the shop for over 3 weeks. (You don't get a loaner until the vehicle is fully diagnosed, and then confirmed that a covered item is needed.) They don't pay for a loaner during the time it takes to order parts, etc.

This is a bumper to bumper warranty, or so they said. If you buy that warranty, read every single word of the fine print. Don't skim.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 15, 2015

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

That's loving awful, its sad to know there are many people being taken advantage of because they don't know any better, not their fault you know?

But yeah I'll read the fine print for sure. But that story of the Hyundai voiding the warranty cause they only put a qt of oil in has caused me some anxiety. Not that I'm getting a Hyundai but still.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

What shop takes 3 weeks to replace a differential twice and can't tell a bad one from a not bad one yet still charges $120 an hour? Oh probably a dealership.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

What shop takes 3 weeks to replace a differential twice and can't tell a bad one from a not bad one yet still charges $120 an hour? Oh probably a dealership.

We knew it was bad the second it showed up. It doesn't matter. The extended warranty company won't do poo poo until you install it and test drive it, THEN disassemble it on the customers dime. The car was in the shop for a myriad of reasons and it took 5-7 days to get the differential to our shop each time due to the warranty company dragging their feet purposely about locating and shipping the differential. The $120 an hour is completely normal for our area. All the dealerships within 50 miles charge within about the same per hour.

I was trying to help the dude out but thanks for just blindly being a dick about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Was that a third party warranty? I've been told that all third party warranties are scams. Anything from the manufacturer send okay. I had good luck with my warranty on my cpo Altima. Warranty was through Nissan themselves.

• Locked thread