Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Look, I'm like the rest of AI. I do all my own work, always.

The girlfriend drives a 2010 elantra with 50k miles. It's never even needed brake pads, and the dealer changes her oil and rotates the tires for free, so aside from an air filter I've never put my hands on it.

A few months ago I noticed when driving it that it seemed to disconnect between 2nd and 3rd gear. Called the dealer, had them check it out, sure enough, needs a transmission. drat you, automatics. :argh: But wahoo, warranty :dance:

So she drops it off, they put a transmission in it, and they give her the typical BS list of crap that it 'needs' to have done asap.

Typical. But then she says,

:v: "Oh they also said a few studs are stripped on the wheel"
:confused: What?
:v: "Yeah, they said it might have been overtorqued?"
:confused: Yeah no poo poo, probably gunned it down too tight. Did they fix it?
:v: "No, they want $90 for it"
:confused: For what? But they'll give it back to you? No way they'd give it back to you unsafe to drive.

Sure enough, they hand her the keys to go home. And then she sends me this pic:

I didn't notice the pic for about 5 minutes. I've never called somebody so fast. STOP DRIVING NOW

Luckily she had gotten home OK. But she sure as hell isn't going anywhere like that.

I called the guy who wrote the work order:

:mad: Hello, I would like to talk to the person who took care of invoice XYZ
:q: That would be me!
:mad: Ok, this is my girlfriends car, I understand something was wrong with the wheel studs?
:q: Yep, we recommended that they be replaced
:mad: Why?
:q: There was some damage to them, probably overtorqued.
:mad: So how bad is it? It's not missing lug nuts is it?
:q: Oh of course not. But she should have it replaced. Maybe has some ugly threading on it.
:mad: I'm looking at a picture of 2 broken studs...

Here he started backtracking hard. Insisted she wanted to drive the car home despite them insisting that it be fixed. Yeah, bull poo poo. Nevermind that their dealership had been doing the tire rotations for 4 years...

So. Any advice on how to move forward here? At the very least the car needs to be picked up, towed back to the dealer, and all 20 studs replaced. If they're torquing them that tight I don't trust any of the other studs.

Blaise fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Bring all your maintenance paperwork to them, this should be enough proof that their dumb assess are the only ones who hosed with this car.

Good luck, and prepare for a long fight.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Call corporate if they balk and get them involved.

3 out of 5 isn't good, but really it isn't like its a miracle she made it home OK. As long as she isn't autocrossing her auto elantra she could probably drive it just fine*

*Do not do this

Ask me about the time I was stupid and poor and drove on 2 out 4 studs on my 280ZX for weeks. :haw:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

"Hey, we broke your wheel studs, that will be $$$ to fix."

They probably get away with it so much it's second nature to charge customers for their fuckups.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

leica posted:

They probably get away with it so much it's second nature to charge customers for their fuckups.

My impression and experience with dealers in a nutshell. So used to loving people that their moral compass is continually pointing to "Ambiguous, do whatever you want."

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Bring all your paperwork and bitch in person.

If service writer bitches out, go up the food chain. If dealer isn't helpful, call corporate.

They need to replace all of them because they are dumb.

This is pretty open and shut.

It is going to be a waste of your time, but you'll most likely come out even.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Just came in to chime that 3 lugs is fine (in an emergency) as is 2 lugs on a 4 lug car (in a super emergency, or trip to the junkyard).

I don't recommend freeway travel though.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

^ pretty much, don't take no for an answer and you'll have to bitch to anyone who has an ear, you almost have to be unreasonable to get a fair result. It's all a huge waste of time.

If we buy a new car again I'm seriously going to choose the dealership based on how comfy the chairs are and how nice the cappuccino station is.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Bajaha posted:

If we buy a new car again I'm seriously going to choose the dealership based on how comfy the chairs are and how nice the cappuccino station is.

Hmmm, that's a pretty good OTD price for the car, but do you have cable with HD sports pack in the waiting room?

*yes*

SOLD

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
and this is why I get a child-like grin on my face as I jam a prybar through bubbly rust on inner rocker panels and fail cars for structural damage at the auction during post sale inspections

skylineboy08
Nov 12, 2010
This is my only complaint about Hyundai. I love my genesis but I've been in the dealership 3 times now for a drive train wobble that they can't loving diagnose. When I first felt it I was like "drat that feels like a bad center support bearing." Having driven my fair share of beaters, I called the dealership and talked to my service manager who made the mistake of telling me that they've put driveshafts in genesis sedans with as little as 5000 miles due to a manufacturing fault and a little bit of internet research confirmed this. After the third time I decided that when the driveshaft wobble tears the rear seal out of the transmission they can replace it after it pukes the fluid out going down the freeway and locks up. I'm sure something will go horribly wrong by 2021 :v:

By the way this story is about their incompetence, they had the loving balls to tell me it has a 1 piece driveshaft. This is after working on it for 3 days, doing a ROAD FORCE BALANCE and then giving it back to me with the shudder. (I've been under it, it has a center support bearing and a two piece driveshaft.)

The whole experience is why I, too, don't let dealerships touch my cars. Also the oil slathered all over the underbody where the stupid rear end techs changed it.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
You can absolutely get them to pay for it, and they should. Bitch enough and start moving up the food chain and it'll get done. Don't be hesitant to talk about bad CSI surveys and that will get someone moving on it quick too

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

How do you overtorque a wheel stud so much that it loving sheers in half :stonk:

Hate dealership service departments with a deep burning passion.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

1500quidporsche posted:

How do you overtorque a wheel stud so much that it loving sheers in half :stonk:

Hate dealership service departments with a deep burning passion.

Use a rattle gun at full power because its 30 seconds faster than putting a torque stick on it, or god forbid get an actual torque wrench out.

Although its rare I take my cars to the dealership (ie only for warranty work), I make it extremely explicit that they are not to take the wheels off.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Brigdh posted:

god forbid get an actual torque wrench out.

Remember there was somebody from around where I live that brought their car into the dealership to get spark plugs changed and found a torque wrench sitting under the hood when they got home....

The dealership had the balls to ask for it back.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Warranty work is the worst on both ends, nobody wins really. The customer gets hosed by having their time wasted, techs get hosed because of lovely warranty flat rate, and the service writers are encouraged to be sleaze bags to try and bail the dealership out of the work.

gently caress new cars.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Last time my girlfriend took her Prius to the dealer for a normal service interval, they talked her into $1100 for new Toyo tires and put a tablespoon-sized dent in the frame directly above the passenger window (I suspect taking it too high into something on the lift).

I couldn't do poo poo about the tires because her dad bought them and he is $$$$$$x$$$$$$, but I took the car back and raised a stink about the dent. They fixed it free of charge the next week, but were pretty blase about it. If I hadn't been there to casually mention "possible frame damage" I am certain they would have talked my GF out the door.

Jerks, all of them.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

leica posted:

Warranty work is the worst on both ends, nobody wins really. The customer gets hosed by having their time wasted, techs get hosed because of lovely warranty flat rate, and the service writers are encouraged to be sleaze bags to try and bail the dealership out of the work.

gently caress new cars.

I always wondered about the 10 year 100k mile from a technician perspective. Warranty hours always paying less, but every (Korean) car having it's work done on warranty hours. Does the dealership increase their overall flat rate pay, or just recruit technicians that were turned away from other shops and underpay them?

Also, it's always worth the time to start lug nuts by hand. Hitting it with air before it's been threaded is asking to gently caress it up.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Dealership techs don't make a very good living because of warranty work and flat rate in general, I was effectively talked out of getting an ASE cert by a bunch of mechanics on a forum call FlatRateTech. Not one guy in the entire forum encouraged me to get into the industry so I took it as a sign and forgot about it. I did eventually end up working for a dealership in the parts department and saw everything they talked about first hand. Service writers are scum of the earth, and 3/4 of techs don't know what the gently caress they're doing to begin with.

NEVER take your car to a dealer.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

1500quidporsche posted:

Usually they chew up the threads tightening it so that it galls and seizes. Then removing it with the rattle gun the next time snaps it off.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I've certainly learned the right dealership makes all the difference. The Viper had sat for ages in a showroom and the moron salespeople blew the subs using it as a personal stereo. It also started grinding into reverse, and needed a seat rail sensor recall done. I take it in twice for the speakers, twice for the reversing. I start thinking "oh gently caress, here we go again" and wondering if the American car curse has returned.

The last time I brought the car home I heard loud rattling, after the dealership had ordered parts for the transmission. Apparently there's a known issue with the TR-6060 reverse hub assembly. I start looking around for the source of the rattle and it's the passenger seat. The bolts holding the passenger seat rails on were finger tight, and the tech had just left them that way without even completing the recall. I thought you have got to be loving kidding me, there is no way I'm letting these cocksuckers touch my car again. I look at the RO from the previous repair attempt, and despite being explicit about the subs being bad, THEY REPLACED THE FRONT SPEAKERS. WELL NO poo poo SHERLOCK NO WONDER IT DIDN'T SOUND ANY BETTER. christ.

Someone reminded me of some good advice recently - if you are having a car worked on, especially something unique or complicated, meet your tech. Know who is working on your car. I did that with the M3 and I don't know why I didn't do it this time. I took the car to a much better rated dealership that's closer to home and the tech was a BMW guy, obviously quite smart, and while the diag work will have to be re-done it's worth the wait, because he's clearly methodical, knew parts off the top of his head and the like.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

slidebite posted:

3 out of 5 isn't good, but really it isn't like its a miracle she made it home OK.

To you and everybody else who said this:

No.

No.

You know why? Because the two lugs were tightened so hard they broke the studs, which means there's a drat good chance that the remaining three are to the point where they are yielding, all while holding a lot more load than they would see normally.

Let's just say showing that photo to the stress analysts at work (I'm in aircraft design) got some VERY concerned looks.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

Remember there was somebody from around where I live that brought their car into the dealership to get spark plugs changed and found a torque wrench sitting under the hood when they got home....

The dealership had the balls to ask for it back.

Perfectly reasonable - aside from the fact that it is the dealership's torque wrench, it suggests they actually used a torque wrench for something.

e: counterpoint, I had a non-dealership mechanic tighten the nuts on a wheel so hard that when I had to put the spare on that corner of the car, the factory stud wrench shattered at the head. A second place just didn't tighten them. I noticed when I went to investigate a clunking noise and found I only had 3/5 nuts left on one wheel, all loose.

Saga fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 7, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Das Volk posted:

The last time I brought the car home I heard loud rattling, after the dealership had ordered parts for the transmission. Apparently there's a known issue with the TR-6060 reverse hub assembly. I start looking around for the source of the rattle and it's the passenger seat. The bolts holding the passenger seat rails on were finger tight, and the tech had just left them that way without even completing the recall. I thought you have got to be loving kidding me, there is no way I'm letting these cocksuckers touch my car again. I look at the RO from the previous repair attempt, and despite being explicit about the subs being bad, THEY REPLACED THE FRONT SPEAKERS. WELL NO poo poo SHERLOCK NO WONDER IT DIDN'T SOUND ANY BETTER. christ.

lol. When I worked for a Mazda dealer I made the mistake of having the techs do some routine maintenance on my Crown Vic since I was working lots of hours and didn't have the time, and also because I got a nice discount on the labor and parts. Luckily for me one of the smart techs that was looking out for me, informed me half the poo poo I paid to get done wasn't done because the tech that had my car was a lazy fucktard and apparently didn't feel like doing the work properly. So even if you work for a dealer it doesn't mean you're safe from poo poo work.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I feel your pain Blaise, don't let the fuckers get away with it. Make them fix the studs for free if they're the only ones that touch the car

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
If any one saw my rant about the dealer saying "coolant loss is normal" in the October chat thread... Well tech is a moron. I finally found the leak. Just a small weep by a hose, I just ordered the hose and will do it myself.

Or the dealer that says my moms 3 year old Subaru outback has a wiring issue in the headlights. It was a burnt out bulb that was just more of a pain in the rear end than usual to replace but nothing unmanageable.

loving tards.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

aventari posted:

I feel your pain Blaise, don't let the fuckers get away with it. Make them fix the studs for free if they're the only ones that touch the car

I'm really pissed for so many reasons. I'd never let anybody touch my cars or hers because its not their safety on the lines. But in this case, no way I was gonna put a transmission in it for her. Surely they could get it right?

Nope.

And of course the guy who gave her the work order insisted that she have the timing belt done today because it was in bad shape. He kept telling her over and over, he was really concerned about it.

The car has 55k miles. Hyundai recommends the service done at 90k. And you don't inspect the timing belt while replacing a transmission.

All that talk about a timing belt and barely a mention of you know, the studs being BROKEN.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
I can't believe chucklefucks are breaking off studs. I get my pickup done at el cheapo tires, they torque them down, I get a loving tire done on the side of the road and 95% of the time, they finish off with the loving huge torque wrench.

The other 5% I'm at a company shop and it's pretty much this:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

InterceptorV8 posted:

I can't believe chucklefucks are breaking off studs. I get my pickup done at el cheapo tires, they torque them down, I get a loving tire done on the side of the road and 95% of the time, they finish off with the loving huge torque wrench.

My favorite was when I went to a tire shop and asked them if they used a torque wrench for the lugs, and they assured me that they did.

I watched and... they didn't lie.

The guy took a rattle gun and blasted the gently caress out of the lug nuts, then went around with a torque wrench... assuring that it was at (OR WAY ABOVE) the set point.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
b-b-b-but I seen it on NASCAR!

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007
God I really didn't need to read this right now while my car is at the dealer for warranty work. I never take my cars to the dealer, outside of my wife's Outback for the free oil changes. I think it just got its last freebie though.

Since this is somewhat on topic of the thread being all about snapped lugs and lovely dealers, are the Snap-On torque sticks the real deal? I have been eyeing picking up a few for my impact but haven't yet.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Similar story: My brother had a local shop do the brakes on his Accord. When I went to put his winter wheels on about a month later, one of the front studs was crossthreaded and snapped off when I tried to remove the lugnut with a breaker bar.

He has the receipt and told me he watched them put all the lugnuts back on with an impact, but does he have any actual recourse with them? He's driving around town on 3/4 lugnuts on one of his front wheels right now.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
No recourse. Just throw a new stud on there and don't let them touch it again.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Blaise posted:

And of course the guy who gave her the work order insisted that she have the timing belt done today because it was in bad shape. He kept telling her over and over, he was really concerned about it.

The car has 55k miles. Hyundai recommends the service done at 90k. And you don't inspect the timing belt while replacing a transmission.

I'm pretty sure it's a requirement to be a sociopath to get a job as a service writer. They must foam at the mouth when they see old ladies come in for an oil change, then send them home with a $1200 bill for poo poo the poor old women on a fixed income didn't need. How the gently caress can people live with themselves doing poo poo like that is beyond me.

What's funny too is the service writers that might actually try to do good get fired because they aren't "motivated" to get bigger numbers.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 257 days!)

I ended up buying my first breaker bar extension (pipe) just to get enough leverage to get the drat lugs off of a vehicle that was just in the stealership before I bought it.

I don't have the receipt (or the car) anymore, but the comments section was amazing. They screwed the guy by telling him he really really really needed to replace timing chain (gasket was leaking - they all do that eventually with this model, car was under 50k since last replacement), talked him into a new SAAB-style ignition coil because it was brought in and "starts rough in the cold" - which was not even related to that, new tires, and of course they put the old style metal clips on to balance the alloys - years after the self-applying ones were available, and scraped the poo poo out of them. I can't remember the rest, but it ended up costing nearly the cars' net worth.

E: Had someone try to play the "tires so bald I can't legally let you leave" on a female relations' car when there was at least 5/16ths left with no under/overinflation or cupping issues. Needless to say they lost any future business and managed to magically find they were talking about the wrong vehicle after a call to corporate.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 7, 2014

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I lost my beater '91 New Yorker to dealer fuckery like this 10 years ago. It was in to have a recall fixed, and they offered me a free oil change while they were at it. I shrugged, said sure... then some chucklefuck either crossthreaded the filter or just plain didn't tighten it down. I take it on the freeway the first time, stomp the gas a little to get up to speed, and the filter blows off. Hot oil onto hot exhaust manifold, nice little engine compartment fire.

Ended up taking $1200 from my insurance company to total it, because they didn't think they could fight the dealer on it since they didn't put the oil change on the bill. I was young, dumb, and too drat broke to fight it myself.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I took my car to the dealer for a warranty issue, and the service writer started his sentence off "Well even though you don't use us for your regular service..." Dude, really?

My dad had a Le Car back in the day. He took it to the dealer because the headgasket blew after a few thousand miles. They fixed it under warranty, but stole the horn. They literally took the horn and removed it from the car.

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

First car I ever owned was a 68 Dodge Coronet. Took it to a tire shop and they ended up breaking a stud by tightening the ever loving gently caress out of it with a breaker bar trying to get the wheel OFF. The idiots didn't notice that the studs were stamped "L" on the end. That little "L" means left hand thread. :argh:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

LloydDobler posted:

Usually they chew up the threads tightening it so that it galls and seizes. Then removing it with the rattle gun the next time snaps it off.

Either what Lloyd said, or manage to cross-thread it. I've snapped two studs in half by hand as a result of that.

In one case on the GMC... there's still enough stud left for the lug to grab and torque down on, and it's a six-lug truck. In the other on my NB Miata, while I was pretty sure the shop was at fault for it, it was quicker and easier to replace the stud myself than deal with those fucksticks again. They had managed to put the directional tires on backwards, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Rivethead posted:

First car I ever owned was a 68 Dodge Coronet. Took it to a tire shop and they ended up breaking a stud by tightening the ever loving gently caress out of it with a breaker bar trying to get the wheel OFF. The idiots didn't notice that the studs were stamped "L" on the end. That little "L" means left hand thread. :argh:

They did that to Slung Blade's 66 when we brought it in for an out of province inspection, then failed it for having broken studs.

• Locked thread