Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
My fun story: My dad took in his 2010 VW TDI in to have the timing belt done at 100k.

He gets home and says he hears something funny, I take a look and they'd forgotten to tighten down the tensioner, he was lucky it didn't jump time on the highway, and I re-tightened it and checked the timing again and he was still spot on.

He still uses them :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

n0tqu1tesane posted:

There's this: https://www.ase.com/Home.aspx

But it's not exactly mandatory.

It also is not a guarantee. Plenty of moronic or lazy ASE holders.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

What about MCSEs?

Bachelors in a Can

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Then I always remember that it would be a loving fight convincing them that I want diesel synthetic oil put in.

I had a VW dealer argue that it was wrong to put diesel synthetic in my TDI. I pointed out that outside of the OEM oil, diesel specific oil is the only one that actually meets VW specs.

He got a little flustered and said I'd kill my car.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

some texas redneck posted:

i went to a chain car wash/lube place. They called my name while I was in the waiting room, and a very grim faced "tech" comes out holding a transmission dipstick with burnt fluid. He said I really needed a flush, badly.

Me: "That's not from my car" :colbert:
Him: "Yes it is"
Me: "No, I'm pretty sure it's not".
Him: "I assure you it is"
Me: "I don't think I know where it goes, why don't we go out and you can show me exactly where it goes?"
Him: "Sure"
Me (very loudly, enough that the whole waiting area heard): "By the way, my Honda has a manual transmission. Honda manual transmissions of that year don't have transmission fluid dipsticks, and there's no way to flush them, so cut the bullshit okay? I don't want you touching my car anymore, get someone else to finish the oil change."
Him: "..... I must have mixed up the cars, sorry."

Not word for word, as it's been about 10 years, but pretty drat close. I ripped the manager a new rear end in a top hat over it, but they're still famous for doing that poo poo. I'm half tempted to go there for my next oil change just so I can knock them down when they try to pull the transmission flush or power steering flush on me, but I know they probably won't bother changing the oil filter.

It was in a sealed box. Opened it at the counter, said "wrong color", they said "too bad".

If it were me today, I would have raised a huge stink. This was several years ago though.

Have you seen this poo poo yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c95oR7rN3H4

It reeks of scam, I cannot find a single detail on how the system works.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CountOfNowhere posted:

Looks like an O2 sensor setup like a dyno uses...

You are missing the giant sensor they put over your engine to detect ignition.

Oh, and the parts of the video that emphasize the 'Upsell of fuel system work'

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

NoWake posted:

*THIS* is why I'll never buy a used car from a dealer. Well, at least "As Is, No Warranty"

I've seen this '05 Jetta GLI sitting on the verge at a dealer near my work for the last couple weeks, and I decided today to go over and kick the tires over lunch. My current car runs fine right now so I don't necessarily need something new, but it's approaching 25 years old and 250k miles, so I'm looking around. I gave myself a hard limit of $6,000 out the door - anything more I'm not going to consider.

Right off, the sticker says $9,500. I can certainly do better, especially on a 10 year old car with 136,000 miles. Heck, I remember paying $950 for a 10 year old Jetta GLI back in 2000... I was tossed the keys anyway so I took it for a spin around the block.

3rd gear made a lot of noise on decel. At least one shock in the rear was blown. Lots of condensation inside the gauge cluster. Reverse lights wouldn't come on (either (both?) the bulbs are out or (more likely) the switch on the transmission went bad). One headlight burnt out. Driver's window wouldn't go down. Didn't check the oil or belts or anything mechanical, as it's ten degrees out and I'm definitely not considering it at this point.

Back at the dealer, the sales guy met me at the curb and I dropped the keys in his hand. I'd explained at the start that I wasn't exactly -desperate- for something new, but if I could find one for less than $5,000 I'd consider it. He brought the $9,500 sticker price to $7,500 for me. I said 'no thanks' and listed all of the things I'd noted on the drive, and that as long as it was being sold AS-IS, I might as well go private party and save another $2,500. Sales guy seemed pretty defeated but was cool about it, didn't take it personally at least.

Just as I'm turning my back to head to my car, sales guy #2 hollers at us from an open door 30 yards away with a phone up to his ear. "HEY IS THAT JETTA STILL FOR SALE? I'VE GOT A CALLER ON THE LINE HERE LOOKING TO BUY IT NOW"

Sure you do, bud. Sure you do.

This is basically my rationale: If I'm going to buy a questionable used car, at least on Craigslist I have the option of negotiating the price far easier than with a dealer, most of the cars I like and want I know will have issues, and I'd rather not be paying a dealer premium for a car I already know is broken.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

leica posted:

And most of the time private owners know the maintenance history of the vehicle, opposed to dealers that have no clue so you have to do everything just to make sure it's done.

Yup. Even when you are buying from some high school kid, then tend to be more informed than even a veteran dealer.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Elviscat posted:

I think that it's the tech's responsibility to ensure the car runs properly under all operating conditions, what if that new bearing starts wobbling at 117MPH?

What, while fleeing from police?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Please tell me this is mere hyperbole about the useless crap pants-on-head retarded automakers add to their cars these days... Please.

Man, I remember being excited when my new Audi had cupholders. CUPHOLDERS!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
If its something going into an aluminum block or part, I use a torque wrench. Generally I pull the torque wrench out to be careful anyways. Better safe than sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Naturally Selected posted:

Can we all agree that 5th/6th-gen Outbacks are bloated as gently caress, at least? Subaru should stop feeding everything a nonstop diet of Big Macs. 2009 was the last good Legacy year.

• Locked thread