Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
warcake
Apr 10, 2010
I work at a Volvo truck dealership and I see these sorts of things on a daily basis.
Yesterday I spent 5 hours on the phone with a guy from technical trying to unfuck a truck after someone had botched a software update by not reading the TSB properly.

Another truck came back with a rattling noise from the top end after we had serviced it and carried out a valve adjustment. Turns out the guy didn't do up a shim bolt so that had promptly ejected itself and the rocker arm was just smacking against the exhaust valve calliper with an extra 4mm clearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcake
Apr 10, 2010
We use tap water at the dealership i work at to mix with coolant, and fill up trucks with. In fact the repair manuals all say tap water is fine if it meets certain standards (which it does) :confused:

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

blk posted:

What's the penalty for driving like that in the UK?

Normally over 100mph = ban in the UK

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

spog posted:

Friend of mine was charged £8.40 on a service for his Volkswagen to refill the screenwash bottle.

Apart from the excessive cost, he was doubly-pissed because he had filled it up the night before to make sure he wouldn't get charged.

That was 15 years ago and I have always remembered that whenever I have driven past a VW dealer.

Because truck drivers can't change their own headlight bulbs, they call our breakdown service out which can end up costing over £200 to change one bulb.

I think our "genuine" washer fluid is about £6 a bottle, and if you get charged 0.1 hours to top it up at £100 an hour it gets stupid really quickly.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

How the hell does a steering column go bad? Isn't it just a piece of metal?

Because it has a universal joint at either one end or both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Nodoze posted:

I can say with certainty that they do. Just as an example for our cars you'd have to go through a bunch of test plans and then call in and get a case number and then go through some more testing and then they'll give you the green light if you still need to keep moving forward

Thats weird to me, we are given pretty much free reign over warranty jobs. We have to use "guided diagnostics" on the laptop and follow the steps but if i find something broke I don't have to ask anyones permission to replace it.

Except a bus with <1000km on it with a dropped valve, I thought i better ask permission for that one. They didn't want us to repair it and straight up sent out a factory new engine (circa £25-30k) They were even nice enough to follow up and let me know what had failed after it got sent back and torn down.

I think our dealership must be one of the nice ones, we hand out any service info to anyone who asks, lend out our manufacturer special tools and try and get the customers goodwill from headoffice on anything out of warranty on big jobs. I have never seen a tech or service guy upsell anything.

• Locked thread