Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

"Hey, we broke your wheel studs, that will be $$$ to fix."

They probably get away with it so much it's second nature to charge customers for their fuckups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Bajaha posted:

If we buy a new car again I'm seriously going to choose the dealership based on how comfy the chairs are and how nice the cappuccino station is.

Hmmm, that's a pretty good OTD price for the car, but do you have cable with HD sports pack in the waiting room?

*yes*

SOLD

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Warranty work is the worst on both ends, nobody wins really. The customer gets hosed by having their time wasted, techs get hosed because of lovely warranty flat rate, and the service writers are encouraged to be sleaze bags to try and bail the dealership out of the work.

gently caress new cars.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Dealership techs don't make a very good living because of warranty work and flat rate in general, I was effectively talked out of getting an ASE cert by a bunch of mechanics on a forum call FlatRateTech. Not one guy in the entire forum encouraged me to get into the industry so I took it as a sign and forgot about it. I did eventually end up working for a dealership in the parts department and saw everything they talked about first hand. Service writers are scum of the earth, and 3/4 of techs don't know what the gently caress they're doing to begin with.

NEVER take your car to a dealer.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Das Volk posted:

The last time I brought the car home I heard loud rattling, after the dealership had ordered parts for the transmission. Apparently there's a known issue with the TR-6060 reverse hub assembly. I start looking around for the source of the rattle and it's the passenger seat. The bolts holding the passenger seat rails on were finger tight, and the tech had just left them that way without even completing the recall. I thought you have got to be loving kidding me, there is no way I'm letting these cocksuckers touch my car again. I look at the RO from the previous repair attempt, and despite being explicit about the subs being bad, THEY REPLACED THE FRONT SPEAKERS. WELL NO poo poo SHERLOCK NO WONDER IT DIDN'T SOUND ANY BETTER. christ.

lol. When I worked for a Mazda dealer I made the mistake of having the techs do some routine maintenance on my Crown Vic since I was working lots of hours and didn't have the time, and also because I got a nice discount on the labor and parts. Luckily for me one of the smart techs that was looking out for me, informed me half the poo poo I paid to get done wasn't done because the tech that had my car was a lazy fucktard and apparently didn't feel like doing the work properly. So even if you work for a dealer it doesn't mean you're safe from poo poo work.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Blaise posted:

And of course the guy who gave her the work order insisted that she have the timing belt done today because it was in bad shape. He kept telling her over and over, he was really concerned about it.

The car has 55k miles. Hyundai recommends the service done at 90k. And you don't inspect the timing belt while replacing a transmission.

I'm pretty sure it's a requirement to be a sociopath to get a job as a service writer. They must foam at the mouth when they see old ladies come in for an oil change, then send them home with a $1200 bill for poo poo the poor old women on a fixed income didn't need. How the gently caress can people live with themselves doing poo poo like that is beyond me.

What's funny too is the service writers that might actually try to do good get fired because they aren't "motivated" to get bigger numbers.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ASE cert really doesn't mean poo poo but you still need one to get a job usually.

Back in the day when I had a bitchin' Corolla I took it to a shop to have some TRD springs installed. The idiots ordered the wrong springs but still tried to charge me for labor after they took all the struts out and had to put them back in when they realized they hosed up. First time I ever told a shop manager to go gently caress himself.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

A buddy of mine was a Ford tech and I used to stop by the shop and just hang out with him and work on my cars if he wasn't busy. One day I go in after we had a torrential downpour and there were a bunch of cars in that had stalled out in deep water, he had brand new a ZX2 (this was in the 90's), pulled the plugs out and turned the motor spraying water everywhere. Put new plugs in it, changed the oil and it fired right up. He was super psyched he got it to run because apparently it doesn't happen much.

Just as we were high fiving each other, the service writer comes over and says "What the gently caress are you doing, that was an insurance job and we were going to make *insert $$ amount* off of replacing the motor! That motor needs to stop running!" My buddy says what the gently caress, do you want me to grenade it? and he says "I don't care what you do, just make sure it's not running" and walked away. So my buddy takes the plugs back out, fills the cylinders with water and cranks the motor until it hydro locks. Motor not running!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Service writers are so used to lying it's like second nature to them. Doesn't surprise me at all.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus, thank christ I have a mid 90's Toyota with cheaper than dirt parts availability, I would go insane dealing with new car issues and dealerships.

Sometimes it seems like used cars are less of a hassle than new cars.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Godholio posted:

Repairs are usually cheaper, but come up more often.

In comparison to some new cars, not really. It's mostly simple maintenance and wear item replacement. And I don't have to deal with idiots/liars at the dealership arguing with me that whatever the issue is with my BRAND NEW CAR is my fault.

I know people that have more issues with their new car than I have with both my mid 90's cars put together. There is literally no incentive for me to go into debt for a new car.

Powershift posted:

It's even worse with heavy trucks. Guaranteed any warranty issue on a truck is a week. A week down could be $10 grand. Do you pay $500 for the part and do it yourself, or let the truck sit for a week?

Even worse, with recalled parts, they won't sell you the upgraded part, they have to install it.

My neighbor has a landscaping business and goes through it a lot. First it was a Ford Powerstroke (what a loving joke of a truck that was) and now his brand new Chevy gasser has issues. New car/truck ownership YAY.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 8, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Aren't you able to get your money back through lemon laws or something if the car is a piece of poo poo?

Yes but that's not the point. I just think it's pretty sad sometimes that people go into debt for a new car thinking they'll be free of used car hassles and end up in an almost worse situation. The car has nagging issues, but you can't take it anywhere but the dealer, and the dealers primary goal is to jerk you around and avoid warranty repairs at all costs. And unless you're the type of person that stands up for yourself you're hosed, and probably would have been better off paying cash for a used car and just dealing with any issues that may happen at a local indy shop.

And even if you stand up for yourself and fight the rear end in a top hat service writers, the process is loving draining and wastes hours of your life that you can never get back. Never mind the soul sucking process to get a car taken back on the lemon law, that in itself is an experience no one should ever have to go through.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 8, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Bajaha posted:

In theory it should be that a new car would be trouble free and that the warranty will quickly take care of problems. But god help you if think that actually happens in most cases.

That's just it. I convinced a co worker who is pregnant against buying new and going into debt because she has around 8k and can get a really nice used car for cash. Her mother was trying to convince her that a used car would have too many problems. Imagine the amount of people that believe this, going into debt thinking they're doing the best thing for them and their family. Hopefully they choose the right new car that doesn't have issues, but how can you know? It's like a flipping a coin, you could get one with no issues or you could get a lemon, and then how many people have the intestinal fortitude it takes to got through the lemon law process? I wonder how many people are in crushing debt and under water for a new car that is basically worthless.

My co worker decided on getting a used Prius. I like to think I prevented at least one person from possibly making a big mistake.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You still have to qualify for low or 0% though, and not a whole lot of people can qualify.

I'm not saying buying new is bad per se, but it is in certain situations where people go into debt for no reason because they believe that used cars are not dependable. Also like you said earlier, just don't expect new car ownership to be trouble and hassle free and you're way ahead of the curve.

All that being said if I had the CASH I would buy a new FiST today :3:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've always used Tousley Ford for online dealer parts and never had an issue with anything not being in stock. Great customer service too, if you call just be sure to tell them you're an online customer and you get a decent discount. Sockington actually recommended them to me years ago and I have been using them ever since for Ford parts.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

howling_mad posted:

Are you local to MN? They're the only dealership that has any knowledge of the ST models as well. I've had good experiences.

I live in Florida :v: at first I thought why bother but I'm glad I did.

Best dealer parts department in general I've ever dealt with.

jamal posted:

Headgaskets put in with rtv sealant.

Haha holy poo poo. Never heard of anyone doing that before.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

This is basically my rationale: If I'm going to buy a questionable used car, at least on Craigslist I have the option of negotiating the price far easier than with a dealer, most of the cars I like and want I know will have issues, and I'd rather not be paying a dealer premium for a car I already know is broken.

And most of the time private owners know the maintenance history of the vehicle, opposed to dealers that have no clue so you have to do everything just to make sure it's done.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol. When I worked at a Mazda dealer some of the lifers there told me about when the FD first came out and how a bunch of them got wrapped around poles/trees by techs. Way to lose your jobs, fucktards.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

poo poo like labor for air filters and filling wash bottles should be customary to show appreciation. Like when I bartend, if you have a decent tab going I throw in a couple free drinks on the house, or if you're a regular you get a free beer now and then. It's nice to show some loving appreciation but dealerships are the opposite and TRY to make you feel like you're a sucker or get you mad enough to want to kill somebody. A little appreciation would go a long way, but they're all too stupid and busy nickle and diming everyone to figure it out.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Maybe if I lived out in BFE it would be a worthwhile investment, otherwise it's a waste of money.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

When one of my buddies was a Ford tech I used to hear all kinds of cool stories, like the time the rookie grease monkey forgot to fill the brand new F150 full of oil after he drained it for it's first oil change, and brand new cars/trucks falling off lifts. He would always tell me DO NOT take your car to a dealer because 75% of the techs are idiots.

I helped him put a SBC in an old CJ Wrangler during his down time at the dealer and it was without a doubt the scariest vehicle I have ever ridden in.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You tighten by hand though, right? Doing it by hand and with an impact is two different things, these days I can tell by hand when I have enough torque on caliper bolts and poo poo like that, I'd never use my impact to tighten poo poo back up, I just use it to take poo poo off.

Except for lug nuts, gotta torque stick for those :smug:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

But then again I don't start out by putting the nut in the socket on an impact and blasting it on at full bap-bap whether it threaded on straight or not. I always thread things in with my fingers, then switch to a wrench once I'm sure they're going in right.

Haha yeah, have been burned by that method before (Tire Kingdom you loving idiots). I ALWAYS start them by hand.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

dissss posted:

Dunno, that would require being wrong

You're wrong dude, just because it's lifted a couple of inches doesn't make it a crossover SUV, it's still a station wagon.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

dissss posted:

No - the Legacy wagon is the station wagon. The Outback is the Legacy wagon (somewhat lazily) turned into a crossover.

So you're saying that raising a wagon a few inches turns it into a crossover. Gotcha. :ms:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yinzer posted:

Yeah I hear you, I have a Crown Vic that's about to hit 200k but a relative is buying it from me. I just love driving those cars.

Well I guess that will save me the $600 dollars I was going to spend at a dealership. I've never bought a used vehicle under 100k miles before and wanted to take as many precatuions as I can.

Pretty sure 60k service on a Panther is just spark plugs and fluids, take it to your mechanic and don't even worry about it. Panthers are so easy to maintain my 7 yr old could do it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

How the gently caress can techs not have a spark plug socket? Don't tell me there's a special plug socket for Fits.

Sounds like the typical incompetent service department with rear end in a top hat service writer to me.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

RCarr posted:

There's probably a better chance that the service writer had no idea what was actually being done. You'd be surprised how often the mechanics won't explain what's happening to the writer, or will flat out lie about it.

Also keep in mind that the majority of a service writer's day is getting screamed at by customers for things they A) Are not involved in B) Have no control over

Bullshit, service writers know exactly what the gently caress is going on at all times, it's what they get paid to do. If they don't know what's going on it's their fault, not the techs. If a tech can mislead a service writer that just means he's an idiot and it doesn't excuse it.

I've worked at dealerships and have friends that are techs. Service writers are more often than not scumbags because you have to be a scumbag to do the job the way the dealership wants it to be done. It takes a certain type of individual to be a service writer, and it's not the moral and unselfish type.

From my experience working for a Mazda dealership, the service writer is the puppet master and the techs are the puppets. If he needs them to play dumb that's what they do, if he needs them to make up a bullshit problem that's what they do, and if they can't figure one out he does it for them. Techs that can't roll with it get fired, service writers call the shots, period.

[edit] tl;dr don't ever trust a service writer.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 16, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

RCarr posted:

The dealership I work at has the exact opposite writer/tech relationship as you had. The techs are all in the union. They are untouchable.

Yeah big difference here, no unions (Florida) so the techs are pretty much at the mercy of the service writer, so it's a revolving door with very few long term techs.

Good on you that you try to do things right, but you're the exception to the rule tbh, especially down here. I've never met a service writer that wasn't a loving snake in the grass.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My bad, I meant dealership service writers, I know some good indy shops with good people running them.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Coredump posted:

Well my friend who is a mechanic at a local Dodge dealership tells me that Dodge only pays 8/10 to 5/10 the hour rating of warranty jobs and other fuckery. Maybe he's referring to that. Friend says he loses his rear end doing warranty work.

Yep, and it's a constant battle with techs about who does and doesn't do it. The old timers obviously don't have to because seniority and being busy with the big jobs, and the grease monkeys can't do it, so it's the guys in the middle that get hosed. That's why working flat rate at a dealer is so loving horrible, you lose your rear end on warranty work just trying to get ahead until the old timers retire and good luck with that because some of them work until they loving croak in the garage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well sure it pays off if you can finish the job fast, but fast isn't always good for obvious reasons. Another reason why flat rate has a bad rap, techs should be taking their time and doing the job right instead of worrying about book times and how many hours they have into a job.

• Locked thread