Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

For the record I can't play this game because my graphics card is 5 years old and can't run directx 11. CoD can infact run though on an xbox 360 which was released 9 years ago.

Say what you will about #gamergate, but it really was an indication that the gaming industry is becoming infested with people that don't actually care about gaming and are committed to its destruction. Obviously #gamergate has nothing directly to do with lovely PC support for the new CoD, it is just the canary in the mine with regards to this stuff.

So basically gently caress this gay earth. There is no logical reason why this game should not be able to be played on older graphics cards. I can understand low frame rates, or maybe some graphical glitches, but to simply just straight up not being able to run is just not right.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

dreffen posted:

Actually it's about ethics, zwdzk.

No its about a bunch of assholes on both sides of the "debate" acting like children and trying to destroy an industry. Like I said, it is just the canary in the mine. I'm sure there are a bunch of rear end in a top hat lazy programmers that don't feel like coding in lower levels of directx support in the new CoD, or people being pressured by executives to make older cards obsolete.

The real word is "corruption" and it has nothing to do with gaming journalism or feminism or whatever. The gaming industry because of its high level of technical sophistication has largely been immune to a lot of issues regarding corruption, but as it becomes larger and takes in more and more revenue it is bound to attract people that don't really care about it and are either there simply for the money or see it as an easy target to cause problems for people and ruin things.

Apthous fucked around with this message at Nov 7, 2014 around 08:26

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

icantfindaname posted:

Is being an unironic gamergater seriously not bannable?

The shits I give about #lamergate is below zero. The shits I give about not being able to play the new CoD on my 5 year old graphics card is somewhat high.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Knifegrab posted:

It seems like, overall, you are giving too many shits. Besides the world is doing you a favor by not letting you play Advanced fartfare.

16 years since the release of Starsiege: Tribes and still not a single FPS that even is worthy the lick the boots of that game.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

MoaM posted:

Technical sophistication can abate the evils of corruption for only so long; now cracks a noble industry...

What it really comes down to is that most evil people are lazy, and when something requires a lot of effort and talent to master the chances of it attracting evil people are lower.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

MoaM posted:

Apthous, I think you should compare Hannah Arendt's text "Eichmann in Jerusalem..." to Advanced Warmongering's multiplayer development cycle in a 2000 word essay-post. I believe we will all understand your grievances upon the posting of that post; we are not there yet.

I'll compare #lamergate to a bunch of teenagers trying to shoot up a gun show.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Hollenhammer posted:

ha ha ha look at this grandpa

go upgrade your card dummy

I'm thinking about it. I've been playing MW3 for the past 2-3 years and usually get a 7-1 kill ratio if no one is hacking.

For all the people that act like stomping pubs is no big deal, I really disagree. Going like 26-4 every game takes a lot of skill.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Twerk from Home posted:

Which 5 year old GPU is this? Stuff is still running fine on my 5850, which is from mid 2009.

GTX 260, so its actually 6 years old, but still.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Knifegrab posted:

Dude its time to upgrade holy poo poo.

I can run MW3, BF3 silky smooth. I also ran the bf4 beta silky smooth as well.

And I think I have a higher RAM version of the gtx260, which from my understanding gives me better performance in Maya. So I'm not even sure upgrading my graphics card just to run dx11 would even improve Maya viewport speed because I remember reading when I was purchasing my computer a few years ago that its totally dependent on GPU RAM or some poo poo like that.

Apthous fucked around with this message at Nov 7, 2014 around 22:13

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

dreffen posted:

MW3 came out in like 2011 or some poo poo please stop complaining about a new video game not being able to run on your old rear end computer.

It used to be that when your computer got old newer games would just run slowly. The last time I encountered a game that simply couldn't run because of hardware was back around 2000 (or before or whenever that was) when you first started needing dedicated GPUs to play games. I can understand that somewhat, but like I said the fact that AW can run on a loving Xbox 360 which came out in 2005 makes me mad as gently caress that it can't run on my graphics card which came out in late 2008. And there is no loving way that there has been such a loving advancement in graphics from dx9 to dx11 that requires some massive change in hardware. AW looks arguably worse than loving bf3 in some places.

The fact that there is requirement for the game to run on dx11 and nothing else tells me that either the developers were too loving lazy to code in support for lower versions of dx (civ 5 gave you the option of running the game in lower versions of dx), or someone stands to make money from forcing people to buy new video cards.

Yes I know I could just spring the money for a new card that supports dx11, but its the principle of the loving thing at this point. I don't like being jerked around and told what to do by either lazy programmers or corrupt businessmen.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

zwdzk posted:

You sound very out of touch and I'm sorry

Oh ok. Since you put it that way...

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

So I finally pieced together all the drama with Sledgehammer, Respawn, and Infinity Ward. These loving people are literally worse than rappers with all of their loving drama and beef. Is it possible to make a loving game without acting like a loving child who causes a scene because someone disrespected them or smudged their Puma's or something?

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Sappo569 posted:

Well don't leave me in suspense.

I didn't even know there was drama, isn't it just make game, release game, profit?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infini...enior_employees
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respaw...ainment#History

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

For all the people that were concerned in this thread I bought a new video card so I can play this game. Are the cinematics just high quality renders from in game assets or are they pre rendered?

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

hopterque posted:

Did you actually buy a new graphics card for this loving terrible game are you seriously that stupid.

Someone in this thread told me to buy a new graphics card and called me granpda and I always do what somethingawful tells me to do.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

AW is like Tribes with the dick chopped off. The next DLC is just going to be a copy of the 1998 version of Tribes and you can fly around with a jetpack to your heart's content.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Any chance CoD returns to the WW2 setting or are we all stuck with shooting non-white people and aliens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

dreffen posted:

Next game focuses on killing gamergate supporters. Please look forward to it.

I want to kill both sides but CoD doesn't allow friendly fire.

• Locked thread