Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Good evening fellow Personal Computer owners! It's been over one full year since I last churned out a lovely thread for PC COD players so they could have a somewhat contained place to find "Voice Over Internet Protocol" information and Steam groups, and it's with a heavy heart that I must now make another one because apparently some people are still buying Call of Duty on PC for some loving reason.

Also, here's another PC COD thread in the Imp Zone that has an active Steam group and probably other neato stuff: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3679321&perpage=40

If you are on the fence about buying Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare for your mouse- and keyboard-enabled personal computing device, here's the "skinny" or "run-down" on what you should know:
  • Multiplayer impressions generally range from "terrible" to merely "not worth $60"
  • The singleplayer is apparently good?
  • People are having hardware issues but I honestly haven't been paying enough attention to determine if they're widespread or standard PC Gaming(TM) poo poo

Here are some testimonials about how awesome COD:Root Beer is for PC:

quote:

they really hosed something up with matchmaking, nothing but being unable to consistently get our group in game for hours. This is on PC.

quote:

How the gently caress do these guys get away with refusing to launch the game on a dual-core? I had to download a patched .exe and big surprise my G3258 with GTX 970 does 1080p60 with 4x supersampling. Oh but I'm sure Activision knows better than me what my system can play. Morons.

quote:

Umm what else, the input lag in the menu. I was told this was a PC game, it is not.

quote:

The game runs at 70 fps and then loses 10 frames every time I turn a few degrees. NEAT
If there is some easy way to fix this, let me know. I am pretty sure my 660ti can handle this.

quote:

So this is unplayable on PC for me. I've got an i5-2300 and HD7850, but the stuttering means I can't play at all, even if I turn my resolution down and put graphics on minimum.

Some posters have even compared this game to the original Doom in its revolutionary take on FPS graphics:

Sappo569 posted:

So I played an hour or so last night of this (on pc)

Are the textures supposed to be super washed out and blurry?

Like looking at the spinning character in the menu screens, some of his textures are really sharp, and some are from Doom era early 90's

I have everything cranked to max, maybe it's just console'd?

Got Haggis? posted:

yeah, same thing for me....for example the golf course that you run across at camp david...it looks terrible, something out of 90's doom (or at least did for me). someone sent me this link, i'm about to try these settings out to see if they make a difference: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/2l8jlu/call_of_duty_advanced_warfare_fixes_tweaks/

Here's some information about Steam groups:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/blOOPS_sux
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/AdvancedGoonfare

Here's some information about Mumble or Teamspeak or Ventrilo or Skype or whatever loving retarded poo poo you heathens are using this month:

dreffen posted:

PC players come join mumble and play!

Reticulated Splines
vx38.commandchannel.com
Port 31463

Here are some solutions to issues that people have posted:

INSUFFICIENTLY TACTICAL GRAPHICS FOR A TIER ONE EXO OPERATOR

r0ck0 posted:

Please add to the OP.

To fix texture blur turn off Cache (Sun,Spot) Shadow Maps under advanced video settings.

Example of texture blur:

Woohoo posted:

Holy poo poo, totally by accident turned off VSync (I have it on basically everywhere due tearing) and game suddenly started to feel... acceptable.

"Normal" textures still look worse than what I can create with a piece of toilet paper after a lunch of spoiled tacos, but at least it doesn't feel like cursor is covered with wood glue in menus anymore.
Turns out Vertical sync is buggy in this game. Or perhaps it caps frame rate to something lower than 60. Like 8.

EDIT: Improvement after turning off Vsync is so incredible (and strangely, this is one of few rare games that doesn't really require it on my machine) that it should be in OP, I think. I can now bump up all other settings and it's still smooth.

MOUSE ISSUES

quote:

In your config_mp.cfg located at "\Steam\SteamApps\common\Call of Duty Advanced Warfare\players2" make sure the following values are set as:

seta cl_mouseAccel "0"
seta r_elevatedPriority "0"
seta in_mouse "2" <-- This allows raw input

Reduce mouse polling rate to 125/250Mhz via your mouse's software

Set launch options with -noforcemaccel, -noforcemparms in steam

snodig posted:

I fixed the weird PC mouse lag by slamming my GS400s really hard after someone killed my CoD operator. My mouse wheel can only scroll downwards now, but the lag is gone.

AUDIO ISSUES

The Iron Rose posted:

Anyway to unfuck the audio desync in cutscenes on PC?

Knifegrab posted:

Currently, as far as I'm aware, no. What I did is as soon as a cutscene started I brought up my steam overlay. This pauses the game as soon as the cutscene ends. Then I save and quit to the main menu, and I click "resume game" and it starts the mission again but this time with the audio synced correctly.

Here is how "#gamergate" is much like the canary in the mine with regards to this stuff

Apthous posted:

For the record I can't play this game because my graphics card is 5 years old and can't run directx 11. CoD can infact run though on an xbox 360 which was released 9 years ago.

Say what you will about #gamergate, but it really was an indication that the gaming industry is becoming infested with people that don't actually care about gaming and are committed to its destruction. Obviously #gamergate has nothing directly to do with lovely PC support for the new CoD, it is just the canary in the mine with regards to this stuff.

So basically gently caress this gay earth. There is no logical reason why this game should not be able to be played on older graphics cards. I can understand low frame rates, or maybe some graphical glitches, but to simply just straight up not being able to run is just not right.

Here's a picture of a dog wearing rabbit ears with a carrot in its mouth:

And here, of course, is actual, uncensored hard data about Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, a game which I own, play frequently, and am a huge fan of:

More hard data to come when I feel like it, enjoy your chipset chat safe zone nerds

Stubear St. Pierre fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

This thread has already exceeded my expectations

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Apthous posted:

So I finally pieced together all the drama with Sledgehammer, Respawn, and Infinity Ward. These loving people are literally worse than rappers with all of their loving drama and beef. Is it possible to make a loving game without acting like a loving child who causes a scene because someone disrespected them or smudged their Puma's or something?

It's hardly 2pac vs Biggie... Activision was trying to stiff IW out of millions of dollars in royalties, so all the talented people from IW quit, sued the poo poo out of ATVI and formed a new studio. The end.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Widestancer posted:

There is a PC clan in Imp Zone. Just post in the imp zone thread and maybe PM Zen death Robot

link that thread and I'll put it in the op

• Locked thread