Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Ultimate Mango posted:

Don't brine the bird. Salt it for sure, maybe inject it if you are into that kind of thing.

Don't go low and slow with turkey. The skin doesn't end up as nice and there isn't the kind of connective tissue in Turkey that needs low and slow cooking to break down. Smoke it hot. Will take less time, will have an awesome dark mahogany skin, and will taste awesome.

This is a pretty good place to start: http://virtualweberbullet.com/turkey7.html

I would pull at 140-145 personally, pulling at 160 is a recipe for dry turkey.

Sweet, looks like less work than a wet brine even. I usually stuff the cavity with some citrus with cloves stuck in their skins - anything that would be better suited to smoking than that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

door Door door posted:

Sweet, looks like less work than a wet brine even. I usually stuff the cavity with some citrus with cloves stuck in their skins - anything that would be better suited to smoking than that?

Smoking is such a low temp thing I don't know if you would get much from that technique. Maybe add some orange zest and ground fennel seed to the dry brine

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
Ran into a dilemma. I'm thawing a turkey now, and I don't have time to dry brine it for 3-4 days. Will it be a huge mistake to dry-brine overnight?

I have read some things that say overnight will be just fine, but others that say the process of the salt absorbing the water and the redistributing it takes more than a day.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Thanksgiving is 8 days away. When are you planning on cooking it?

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

d3rt posted:

Thanksgiving is 8 days away. When are you planning on cooking it?

tomorrow

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

justasmile posted:

I would recommend butternut squash risotto (use vegan butter and no cheese) or stuffed acorn squash. This may also give you some ideas: http://mydarlingvegan.com/2014/11/vegan-thanksgiving-meal-round-up/

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Something we've always done in my family is green beans with toasted slivered almonds. Doesn't require much effort and is definitely vegan.

These are both great ideas and I will probably do all of them! Thanks everyone.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Has anyone tried Gordon Ramsay's roast turkey, and if so, how was it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5PFXhdfVT8

lu lu lu
Jul 27, 2007
I've got some apples

You might consider doing mashed sweet potatoes with coconut milk. Non-vegan guests would probably eat them too, so it's more of another side that happens to be vegan.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

lu lu lu posted:

You might consider doing mashed sweet potatoes with coconut milk. Non-vegan guests would probably eat them too, so it's more of another side that happens to be vegan.

I did this for a normal potato / celeriac mash for some vegan guests a couple years ago, and they are still talking about it today. white pepper and salt and you're done.

Empathetic
Aug 29, 2004
Was not around any family last year due to other obligations so making it a big one this year.

Champagne Mustard Cheese Ball with Crackers
Brown Sugar Glazed Ham
Turkey
Sauteed Green Beans
Sweet Potato Casserole (not with marshmallows, we do a pecan topping)
Deviled Eggs
Homemade Parker House Rolls
Homemade Cranberry Sauce with Orange
Mashed Potatoes
Turkey Stock Gravy
Cornbread Dressing

From Scratch
Pecan Pie
Apple Pie
Pumpkin Pie

I plan on doing a lot of the prep work/pies Wednesday to save myself some headache on Thursday.

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004
Making chicken stock and Peter Reinhart's pain de mie for stuffing this weekend that I'll cube and dry out on convection.

I'll shape a tray of parker house rolls and throw them in the fridge Weds. For pies I'm gonna do some old school single crust, maybe pumpkin and something like chocolate creme. Dry brine the turkey over night.

Really simple menu for Thursday

Roast turkey
Giblet gravy
Buttermilk mashed
Bread stuffing
Sauteed shredded brussels
Cranberry sauce

Bread service will be Jim Lahey's no-knead and Reinhart's pain de mie + extra butter for rolls

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Ishamael posted:

So we are having 12 people at our house for Thanksgiving and I have a menu that I am happy with.

The wrinkle is: 2 of the people are vegan. They eat honey and don't freak out if things are "made in a facility" that processes milk or eggs, but otherwise they are full-on vegans. Any idea for vegan-friendly dishes? Here's what I have so far:

-mashed potatoes with fake butter instead of real
-roasted root vegetables with balsamic reduction
-vegan dessert from whole foods

That's all so far. Any ideas would be super helpful!

You could stuff acorn or butternut squash halves with walnut-wild rice stuffing to serve as an entree.

Walnut-Wild Rice stuffing

4 oz mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon dry dill weed
4 green onions, chopped
3 cups of cooked wild rice
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
salt and pepper to taste

Saute mushrooms, garlic, and dill in oil 1 minute. Add onions, rice, walnuts and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Stuff into cooked squash halves and return to a 350 oven for 15 to 20 minutes.

This recipe calls for two beaten eggs to hold the stuffing together. You could always make the hollowed out seed cavity in your squash bigger and blend the cooked squash with the stuffing to work as a binder. I actually prefer the stuffing without eggs.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Well, since my family is coming and 3/4 of them are diabetic...I have been requested to make a lower carb sugar free Thanksgiving this year. Works out well for me, so I can actually enjoy it since I was diagnosed with diabetes earlier this year, and therefore have to watch my carbs and sugars.

Menu will be:

Turkey with giblet gravy
Dressing with pecans and giblets (I make a lower carb bread and use that for the cubes...its not bad actually)
Rolls (lc)
Sugar free apple pie
Sugar free praline crusted pumpkin pie
Coconut roasted Brussels/celeriac/carrots
Sugar free/LC cranberry relish
Butternut squash/pumpkin mash
Green salad
Celeriac/Cauliflower mash with parmesan cheese (AWESOME recipe by the way! See below)

***I take one lg bag of frozen cauliflower (or a big head of fresh) and steam it. I then throw it in the food processor, and add 1 cup of heavy cream, a large handful of shredded Parmesan, a good amt of black pepper and a good pinch of kosher salt, and 4-5 oz of full fat cream cheese, and a few cloves of roasted garlic. To this I add a large celeriac that is already cooked in some fashion...boiled or roasted, just chop it and and toss it in as well. Pulse till it is to your desired level of mash chunkiness, (we prefer a smoother mash here with a few small lumps for texture) and then stir in some tarragon and parsley (be free with the herbs), then put into a greased baking dish. Sometimes I will mix in sauteed mushrooms as well. Then, throw another good handful of cheese on top, it doesn't matter really what kind. I use Parmesan/Romano/3 cheese blend type of thing...whatever cheese you like, then add more fresh pepper. Drizzle a little olive oil/truffle oil on if you want. Bake at 400 for about 1/2 hour or so till it is nice and crispy on the top. Serves 6.

It's really a forgiving recipe...you can play with it so many different ways and pretty much make it taste amazing. The original recipe (from Reddit) didn't call for celeriac, but my husband loves that veggie so I added it to see how it went and it was fantastic. This is a favorite of my husband...he wants me to make it a lot. He likes it more than potatoes I think :)

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 20, 2014

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Reading about adding baking powder to a dry brine. Apparently it helps crisp skin. Something about micro skin bubbles and stuff. I know baking soda is added to some meats in stir frying to increase the ph and therefore induce more maillard and caramelization reactions (also great for caramelizing onions in 5 min and pressure caramelizing things) but to a roast's skin is a new one. May try it. Any experiences?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

Reading about adding baking powder to a dry brine. Apparently it helps crisp skin. Something about micro skin bubbles and stuff. I know baking soda is added to some meats in stir frying to increase the ph and therefore induce more maillard and caramelization reactions (also great for caramelizing onions in 5 min and pressure caramelizing things) but to a roast's skin is a new one. May try it. Any experiences?

They just talked about this today on America's Test Kitchen

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I add it to corn starch for tossing oven baked wings in. It gives a little texture and crunchiness.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I'm in a bit of a conundrum this year for thanksgiving. We'll be guests at a family event which will be super traditional. Well, we'll end up in the kitchen the whole time, because that's how conscription works, bit we have no influence on the primary menu or cooking styles. What we ARE doing is bringing the pre-meal relish tray, the egg nog, and "a side dish". But I know kitchen space will be at a premium, so any side dish will need to either be cold or be able to be kept in a crock pot all afternoon until serving time. Does anybody have any ideas?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I'm a huge nerd

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

How are you making your gravy tomorrow? Are you not using drippings?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Crusty Nutsack posted:

How are you making your gravy tomorrow? Are you not using drippings?

bought some assorted parts and trimmings from store. gonna roast them specifically for that. drippings may go into it or into the sausage dressing, havent decided.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

GrAviTy84 posted:

bought some assorted parts and trimmings from store. gonna roast them specifically for that. drippings may go into it or into the sausage dressing, havent decided.

Ahh makes sense then.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Just my wife and my parents for Turkey day.
Menu is:

- Fresh green bean casserole from scratch.
- Sage, onion, apple stuffing.
- Mashed potatoes, a vessel for:
- Caramelized onion, brandy, and veal stock 'gravy'
- Cider brined Turkey tenderloins (four people do not require a whole bird).

For the tenderloins, I'm planning on pan searing them, but as of RIGHT NOW (WOW!!) I've got a pair of them, brined, wrapped in apple smoked bacon, in my Bradley electric with apple pucks. I'm experimenting to see if I like the smoked better than the pan seared. My folks are the 'bland midwestern' type, and I don't want to overly rock the boat if the smoked version is too 'out there' for them.

edit: Oh, also to add, for snacks I have:

- homemade duck prosciutto (bay leaf and black pepper)
- sweet gherkins, spicy gherkins, pretzel crackers, whole wheat crackers, excellent mustard
- Fancy cheeses
- veggie tray, chips, and dip

Time Lapsed Edit: Well it turns out the brined, bacon wrapped, smoked tenders are god's gift to turkey, so we'll be having those. Damnation those are good.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 23, 2014

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Ohey, Holiday thread I almost missed you. I rebel against traditional Thanksgiving foods and it's been pretty much tradition for me to do Peking Duck. So for a small family gathering of 8, I'm making:

1) Peking Duck (Making 4 ducks for the first time)
2) Szechuan Fried Green Beans
3) Roasted Cauliflower and Red Pepper Puree
4) Sweet/Sticky Rice Stuffing with Oyster/Shiitake Mushrooms, Water Chestnuts, and Chinese Sausage

For Dessert: Persimmon and White Chocolate Mousse Cake

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Turns out the grocery store only has two kinds of turkeys: "May contain up to 4% absorbed water" and "contains up to 8% of a solution to enhance juiciness and tenderness." Now, the latter is obviously pre-brined, but the first one should be fine to dry brine, right?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'm in a bit of a conundrum this year for thanksgiving. We'll be guests at a family event which will be super traditional. Well, we'll end up in the kitchen the whole time, because that's how conscription works, bit we have no influence on the primary menu or cooking styles. What we ARE doing is bringing the pre-meal relish tray, the egg nog, and "a side dish". But I know kitchen space will be at a premium, so any side dish will need to either be cold or be able to be kept in a crock pot all afternoon until serving time. Does anybody have any ideas?

Nothing? Anybody?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Nothing? Anybody?

collard/turnip/mustard greens in a crockpot?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

poo poo yeah that might be just the ticket. Don't know why I didn't think of that.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Is what you're all referring to as Sweet Potato actually yams?

I notice that Americans tend to refer to sweet potato's as yams, and it throws me of in recipes. I made a breakfast hash that called for sweet potato's, and after making it, I realized the flavour palette didn't work right. Tried it with yams and it was excellent.

My holiday cooking must all be dairy and gluten free due to significant family allergies. This year my sister roasted butternut squash, added chopped bacon, walnuts, and a light brown sugar sauce. It was delicious.

It really drives me nuts when my parents invite a guest to our dinner, said guest offers to bring a dish, knowing full well that my dad and 3 of his daughters are gluten and dairy intolerant, and make no effort to bring a dish everyone can enjoy.

This year at Canadian Thanksgiving my aunt brought a pumpkin pie that only like 4 people could eat. I REALLY WANTED PUMPKIN PIE.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Probably 99% of westerners have never had a true yam. They're all sweet potatoes here but we call them yams even though they're not.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Yams is orange. Sweet potatoes is white.

Yes?

Edit:

Echeveria fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 24, 2014

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Echeveria posted:

Yes?

Edit:

nope, those are all different cultivars of sweet potato.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yam_%28vegetable%29#Description

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Echeveria posted:

Yes?

No, they are both different varieties of sweet potatoes.

True yams:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yam_(vegetable)

edit: :argh:

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Ok I see. So what we Canadians are calling Yams are actually a variety of sweet potato. Because here, you find "yams" that are orange and nice and soft, and "sweet potatoes" that are white inside and starchier.

So when you Americans are referring to sweet potatoes in your recipe, are you referring to the white, starchy bland one or the delicious orange one?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Delicious orange. Always delicious orange.

edit: Both sweet potato and yam is generally used by americans to mean the orange sweet potato.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Excellent. Thanks for clearing that up for me, guys!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I'm going to try a dry brine and spatchcocking the turkey this year. I do a sort of bonus thanksgiving for friends the day after the actual day, and it's nice for being experimental and fancy. My family's kinda boring in the food department.

Anyway, I can't find any time guidelines based on the size of the bird. I'm fine with pulling it out based on temp, I just want a rough idea of when to out it in so we don't end up eating dinner at 1pm or having to reheat.

It's an 18 lb bird...

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I'll be helping butcher these guys tomorrow. Farm raised Broad Breasted White turkeys. These are very happy torks that get lots of treats, space to roam, and engaging activities.

Would anyone be interested in a thread detailing the butchering, processing, and cooking? Mine will be spatchcocked with a dry salt and rosemary rub, which I've used successfully in the past on spatchcock chicken.

Sides will be Sweet Potato Knot Rolls, Saute Green Beans over Sweet Potato Mash, Roast Root Veg, and Stovetop Stuffing, which is demanded by my parents.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

Would anyone be interested in a thread detailing the butchering, processing, and cooking?

yeah! do it!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I made a little bit of gravy

Since shakerpenguin (I refuse to call you the other thing :P ) asked about how I do gravy without drippings, here's my method

Many grocers sell backs, necks, and legs for around a buck a pound. I get a few.

The backs come with a shitton of tail area fat so I cut it out and minced it up and rendered it out on low heat. This will be for the roux instead of butter.

I want to maximize the surface area of the stuff being roasted so I debone the thighs and splay out the meat as well as I can, I also take a cleaver to the backs and turn them in to manageable bits.

Roast the bits with mirepoix, bay leaves, thyme, sage, star anise, a bit of whole cinnamon stick (not too much), and whole peppercorns. You can coat the meat in dehydrated milk powder if you want. It's a Heston Blumenthal trick to increase the amount of caramelizable sugars. I didn't this time because I didn't have any on hand.

Transfer all the stuff to a pressure cooker or large stock pot. I had some smoked turkey bones I had that I picked the meat off of for a pot of beans a month ago and I froze figuring I'd use it now so I added them to the mix. Deglaze the roasting pan to get all the awesome brown bits and fill the pot with water. Pressure cook for an hour or simmer in stock pot for 4 hours.

Strain out the bits and then refill the pot with fresh water (just a bit to reach the top of the bones) to remouillage. I like to use a potato masher to break up the vertebrae and tender meat and really let the water get into all the crevices and stuff. I'm not trying to crush the bones or whatever just break up the cartilage and stuff. Then re-strain the remouillage and add to the stock.

Bought a small tub of chicken hearts and gizzards in addition to the turkey parts (no livers, they can be bitter in gravies):

Fried them up for more fond in the rendered turkey fat, then deglazed then transferred to pressure cooker again and cooked for 30 min.

when thats done strain out the giblets, and then mince them and add them to the stock

Make a roux with the turkey fat and mix into the stock (general rule: 2 tbsp fat:2tbsp of flour will thicken 1 cup of liquid to gravy consistency) I like the nuttiness of a darker roux but that might not be everyone's thing, darker rouxs also have less thickening power so you may need more. bring to boil and add some fish sauce or worcestershire sauce (for umami, you don't need much) then taste for salt (you'll need a lot). Remember gravies should be aggressively salty because they go on bland things like mashed potatoes so salt to the point where you think it tastes good (what I like to call "soup salty" as it's a comfortable level for a bowl of soup), then salt a bit more.

yay gravy

edit: I still have a shitton of turkey schmaltz idk what to do with.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Nov 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

GrAviTy84 posted:

I made a little bit of gravy

Since shakerpenguin (I refuse to call you the other thing :P ) asked about how I do gravy without drippings, here's my method

You had me at tail fat. :h:

If you made this tonight, then you're a day behind schedule!

• Locked thread