Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

I was once 12, too.

Don't game shame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

mr.capps posted:

aww poo poo this first person shooter is too much like a first person shooter because my guns shoot other guns
- you, contra calculus
it's true, i said this :smith:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I mean, mobas suck for a lot of reasons. And I don't see "there are many different heroes in overwatch" mean that this game will have all the shitiness that mobas have.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

I was once 12, too.
I'm an adult.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
Your video game company tastes say different, buster

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I mean, mobas suck for a lot of reasons. And I don't see "there are many different heroes in overwatch" mean that this game will have all the shitiness that mobas have.

moba was probably a bad way to put it

what i probably should have said was it seemed to have a lot of moba features and moba gameplay elements only in the form of an FPS like you have three or four powers or whatever and they have low, medium, and long cooldown and gently caress ive already said too many words about this.

idk. if the game's good, it's good. everyone wins.

Contra Calculus fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 11, 2014

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Blizzard makes good games don't game shame please

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

I was once 12, too.

You still are.

Dec 26, 2012

I was once 12, too.

you suck dude

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

butts are cool

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Is bionic commando in yet

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

I don't really feel this game is that MOBA-y. Like, it's maps are straight out of an FPS, with CTF, Payload, Control Points. You look at other games like MNC and they still haves lanes and creeps, and shooting a headshot doesn't mean poo poo if they're 12 levels higher than you.

Really, it's more a "hero-based shooter", cus the only MOBA thing form it is that you play a hero/champ instead of a class. Like you still have a loadout, but you just have primary fire, secondary fire, movement ability and then an ult you fill up, and they said they plan to have a ton of different heroes to chose. Outside of that it really feels and plays like an FPS with really no MOBA elements in the actual gameplay. Your loadout is static after selection, no leveling, no upgrading, no shop. Only thing is the ult meter.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Don't let facts ruin a good narrative please, it's my fetish.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

the thread in the blizzard forum we have... is filled with AIDS

It's a bit funny how Blizzard looked at TF2 and its cartoony artstyle and misunderstood the point completely.

TF2 looks cartoonishly silly, but once you actually play the game, you realize it's full of gory murder and every character is an insane sociopath. The point kinda being that you can't have both a happy funtime cartoon world and have people kill each other in it at the same time. TF2 takes those two conflicting ideas and uses them as the basis of its dark humor. At first sight, the soldier is a silly caricature who loves war, but he's living in an existential nightmare where his only purpose is to kill people and die, only to be born again to kill and die more.

Overwatch looks cartoonishly silly and is also trying to be cartoonishly silly, and the cinematic trailer looks like something made by Pixar with all its child characters and stuff, but there's also people dying horrible, pointless deaths like in TF2? I know it's completely unlike Blizzard, but I almost expected the kids to get horribly killed since I'm so used to TF2's dark humor and I really couldn't think of another way they could play a role in a trailer for a game like this. "Cheers love, the cavalry is here!" says Tracer to the kids. This same young woman who has most likely killed hundreds of people is somehow supposed to be a role model for the kids.

It almost makes me think someone at Valve thought "Wait we can't make a funny cartoony game with murder, that doesn't make sense" and someone else thought "You're right, it doesn't. Let's make the game revolve around that".

And then Blizzard had neither of those guys.

Blizzard is basically making a game that TF2 is a parody of.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Soldier's existential nightmare

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Weird got again!

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

RottenK posted:

Soldier's existential nightmare

I didn't read your other post...

DOMINATED, PRIVATE TWINKLE-TOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I looked at the character lineup art they showed really quick and for a second the dwarf guy's beard looked like a butt.

hehehe

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Bauxite posted:

Blizzard makes good games don't game shame please

Made

lmao

is this the simp zone

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Made

lmao

is this the simp zone
Dozens of posts in the Blizzard subforum.
\

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
Didn't answer my query.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
CONGA TIME

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Join in Mr Facts!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Hoenstly I think if Overwatch doesn't take off Blizzard might straight up make a regular console game.

I noticed that the Blizzcon banner had Diablo and Arthas take up a huuuuuuuuuuuuge section of it. Arthas hasn't been relevant in years but he's still popular so they might just make a regular game based around him. Diablo 3 on consoles did better than expected twice already.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

Hoenstly I think if Overwatch doesn't take off Blizzard might straight up make a regular console game.

I noticed that the Blizzcon banner had Diablo and Arthas take up a huuuuuuuuuuuuge section of it. Arthas hasn't been relevant in years but he's still popular so they might just make a regular game based around him. Diablo 3 on consoles did better than expected twice already.

a 3d action game as arthas about him meeting diablo would be pretty cool

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Honestly I'd like to see Blizzard try and one up Obsidian or Bethesda.

create an open world game that uses a bright color palette.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

RottenK posted:

It's a bit funny how Blizzard looked at TF2 and its cartoony artstyle and misunderstood the point completely.

TF2 looks cartoonishly silly, but once you actually play the game, you realize it's full of gory murder and every character is an insane sociopath. The point kinda being that you can't have both a happy funtime cartoon world and have people kill each other in it at the same time. TF2 takes those two conflicting ideas and uses them as the basis of its dark humor. At first sight, the soldier is a silly caricature who loves war, but he's living in an existential nightmare where his only purpose is to kill people and die, only to be born again to kill and die more.

Overwatch looks cartoonishly silly and is also trying to be cartoonishly silly, and the cinematic trailer looks like something made by Pixar with all its child characters and stuff, but there's also people dying horrible, pointless deaths like in TF2? I know it's completely unlike Blizzard, but I almost expected the kids to get horribly killed since I'm so used to TF2's dark humor and I really couldn't think of another way they could play a role in a trailer for a game like this. "Cheers love, the cavalry is here!" says Tracer to the kids. This same young woman who has most likely killed hundreds of people is somehow supposed to be a role model for the kids.

It almost makes me think someone at Valve thought "Wait we can't make a funny cartoony game with murder, that doesn't make sense" and someone else thought "You're right, it doesn't. Let's make the game revolve around that".

Oh word?

Dec 26, 2012

RottenK posted:

hmm yes i see

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Minorkos posted:

This doesn't really make sense though because as far as the game itself is concerned the heroes only fight amongst themselves. There are no scenes of people slaughtering innocent civilians or whatever. They just chase each other around as mercenaries and shoot at each other and respawn endlessly and no innocent bystanders get hurt and that's the end of it. I mean no one even got shot in the cinematic trailer, which is a thing that people are also complaining about? So like, which should it be?

There's certainly some backstory with some more mature themes, like Widowmaker's, but that's all pretty limited and separate from the game itself, which is probably the ideal way to handle it. I mean this is the way most "hero-based" games handle this so I'm not sure why it's suddenly an issue. LoL has plenty of wacky bullshit going on and silly characters alongside darker/edgier stuff and no one really has an issue with it. It's pretty much the same case here.

I really think you're overthinking it a bit too much.

I just think it's weird that the cinematic trailer plays out like a Pixar movie with all the child protagonists and childlike innocence and whatnot when the game is about mercenaries and vigilantes with guns or whatever. Maybe it's just me but I don't think war and child protagonists you're apparently supposed to identify with mix very well outside satire. Or I don't know why else they would put them in the trailer. Is it a parody of a Pixar movie? Is the game for kids? I don't get it. It kinda just looks like Blizzard is just doing weird Blizzard things again.

I would find it similarily weird if the Incredibles video game had Mr. Incredible executing criminals with a minigun or something. Bloodless gun violence is pretty normal for a T-rated game, but I find the Pixar kids in the trailer to kinda clash with the overall theme of the game. Obviously, it's just me though.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

01011001 posted:

hmm yes i see

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
Lol who gives a gently caress? Gibs are awesome.

Dec 26, 2012

Psycobladder posted:

Lol who gives a gently caress?

forumid=44

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

01011001 posted:

forumid=44

Actually, it's forumid=259.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

PleasingFungus posted:

I really think you're overthinking it a bit too much.

no no, i too wonder where the dead children, disembodied limbs and burnt bodies are. i wonder this because i'm an idiot. a real fuckhead. because these are fuckhead things to wonder about.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I was warned, but I tried reading that thread anyways, and now I have AIDS.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

I hate the post because it's dumb, but more because it wants me to think it's very smart.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Do people really take the lore and characters in TF2 seriously? Honestly can't tell which posts are trolls or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

Do people really take the lore and characters in TF2 seriously? Honestly can't tell which posts are trolls or not.

people are REALLY into the "tf2 expanded universe"

• Locked thread