Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
I've bought myself a domain name - through namecheap - but I now need a web host. Unfortunately this seems to be a lot more difficult to decide on than I thought it would be - there's a huge amount of hosts out there, and it looks like almost every single one I read about has a whole bunch of reviews that say "they used to be good, now it sucks". People at work all said "anyone but GoDaddy", which also doesn't really help. I'm really not sure what to go for.

For now, the main purpose of the site is to host a forum with (probably) a smallish audience, though I might expand the purposes of the site a bit later.

I'm hoping for all the usual things: reliablity, good backup processes, decent price, good support, ease of use... basically, a good all-round web host. If the initial setup of a forum is made easy for me that would be a big plus.

Any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

Hostgator

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

That was going to be my initial choice until, until I saw how often it gets brought up as "it used to be good, now it sucks". Number of reviews mention how good they used to be but how their service (particularly customer service) has declined (http://www.whoishostingthis.com/hosting-reviews/hostgator/). Apparently this is related to them having been acquired by EIG.

Do you have first-hand experience with them/other webhosts?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Use the goon in the hosting thread

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

god bless

Bob Morales posted:

Use the goon in the hosting thread

Thanks, have taken my query there to see what people think.

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe

Soul Reaver posted:

That was going to be my initial choice until, until I saw how often it gets brought up as "it used to be good, now it sucks". Number of reviews mention how good they used to be but how their service (particularly customer service) has declined (http://www.whoishostingthis.com/hosting-reviews/hostgator/). Apparently this is related to them having been acquired by EIG.

Do you have first-hand experience with them/other webhosts?

I've used Hostgator for years and they've been fantastic... just was on with customer service the other day and they were fine.

either them or one of the goon hosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

god bless
I signed up with a goon host (Lithium). Went fine so far, but pretty early on of course. Thanks for the testimonial though. :)

• Locked thread