Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

You don't even need a sniper rifle, the semi-auto assault rifle with a scope and suppressor is enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
sniper was nice for the heavies. it was a little ridiculous that you could silence every weapon, but i hope they do it again because it was awesome.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh yeah...heavies. I remember now that I didn't much like fighting them. Any sign of 4 having them?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh yeah...heavies. I remember now that I didn't much like fighting them. Any sign of 4 having them?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
drat. Can you at least injure them on the non-armored parts of their body this time?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Great Joe posted:

You don't even need a sniper rifle, the semi-auto assault rifle with a scope and suppressor is enough.

You can dismantle any camp just by throwing distraction rocks forever

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Flame 'em. Flame everything, in fact. Everything melts eventually.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
Yeah, Far Cry 3 definitely was all about a white guy coming to terms with his latent arsonist tendencies and lighting the third world on fire to solve all of it's problems.

Seriously when not required to do anything else I was all about the flame arrows and flare gun.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I played FC3 until I got to burning the marijuana fields, from which point I just kinda lost interest in continuing. Same thing with AC4. How do people manage to finish Ubisoft titles? It's like you kinda get your fill of whatever experience the game offers, and then the only thing left to do is repeat that thing 100 more times.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

I played FC3 until I got to burning the marijuana fields, from which point I just kinda lost interest in continuing. Same thing with AC4. How do people manage to finish Ubisoft titles? It's like you kinda get your fill of whatever experience the game offers, and then the only thing left to do is repeat that thing 100 more times.
I dunno, but taking over every single fort in FC3 was as fun for me as the first one, so it definitely had something.

It wasn't expressed in the story missions though. It never is for me in open world games.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

That was a very insightful part of the game for me. The main character proclaiming "This is loving awesome!" made me, as the player, go "No, it isnt. Jason stop. Jason go save your brother and stop this at once."

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i just hate how everything is on the map in ubisoft games so you never are exploring you're just walking to a waypoint and looking around.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Samurai Sanders posted:

I dunno, but taking over every single fort in FC3 was as fun for me as the first one, so it definitely had something.

It wasn't expressed in the story missions though. It never is for me in open world games.

I'm pretty much the opposite. If I don't have some kind of strong framing story it's super easy for me to lose interest or forget why I'm even there and what I'm doing. Like, Tomb Raider came out around the same time and was awesome for me because the story was tight and it always felt like there was some new plot twist or impetus to keep momentum. Even though there was obvious combat filler as there is in FC3, the pacing was just excellent and each setpiece upped the ante in a huge way. I'll probably eventually get around to playing more Far Cry but I wish these "open world" games would be less padded out and have more focus. I got through Tomb Raider in a week last year and it's probably the last game I've actually finished.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

I'm pretty much the opposite. If I don't have some kind of strong framing story it's super easy for me to lose interest or forget why I'm even there and what I'm doing. Like, Tomb Raider came out around the same time and was awesome for me because the story was tight and it always felt like there was some new plot twist or impetus to keep momentum. Even though there was obvious combat filler as there is in FC3, the pacing was just excellent and each setpiece upped the ante in a huge way. I'll probably eventually get around to playing more Far Cry but I wish these "open world" games would be less padded out and have more focus.
Well, the game kind of had two goals: rescue your friends and brother, and remove the pirates from the island, i.e. take over all the forts. The former was what the story missions were about and everything about that was dumb as hell, but killing all the pirates is something I can get behind 100 percent.

edit: this stands in stark contrast to the story missions in Just Cause 2, which were all perfectly in line with what I wanted to do with the game anyway. It's one of the few world games I have played yet that is like that.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 10, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

exquisite tea posted:

Are you serious? How does your brain work? After that part, I couldn't stop playing because I wanted to do more cool stuff. If you didn't stick through to the end when you have to fight your way out of that giant base, fight your way to the airfield, and then ride in the helicopter with your brother while everyone is chasing you and trying to kill you, you missed out big time.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

If "suddenly Skrillex" didn't make you love FC3 there and then I don't know what to tell you. And I don't even really like dubstep.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm replaying FC3 and not crafting anything (except the mandatory loot bag you have to craft for the tutorial mission). Totally changes the game when you don't have a ridiculous pile of resources. Having to choose very carefully what your one weapon should be (hint: the flare gun) is fun, especially when you're limited to $1000 in your wallet and thus locked out of a lot of powerful weapons.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm replaying FC3 and not crafting anything (except the mandatory loot bag you have to craft for the tutorial mission). Totally changes the game when you don't have a ridiculous pile of resources. Having to choose very carefully what your one weapon should be (hint: the flare gun) is fun, especially when you're limited to $1000 in your wallet and thus locked out of a lot of powerful weapons.

That sounds like a fun way to do a playthrough. Jason's ability to carry 50 pounds of weapons with him while still moving silently and being able to leap around like a cat is Doomguy level insanity. Which isn't a bad thing but it kind of ruins My Immersion.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bilal posted:

That sounds like a fun way to do a playthrough. Jason's ability to carry 50 pounds of weapons with him while still moving silently and being able to leap around like a cat is Doomguy level insanity. Which isn't a bad thing but it kind of ruins My Immersion.

That's basically every game with guns though. Let me just pull this RPG out of my front pocket.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Far Cry 3 became immensely more fun when I found a mod that increased the amount of pirates on the island. Suddenly instead of just driving around and base hopping from outpost to outpost, you had to stealthily make your way there while a bunch of patrols rove around in their jeeps.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

exquisite tea posted:

I played FC3 until I got to burning the marijuana fields, from which point I just kinda lost interest in continuing.

I was literally the exact opposite. I was kind of bored, although I loved taking forts, then I burned the pot fields and Jason was like "gently caress yeah" and I was like "you know what, yes, I concur, gently caress to the yeah" and then I smoked weed and Jason smoked weed and we killed a lot of people

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I liked FC3 because it was, in my opinion, the perfect marriage of the original's tropical setting and FC2's (which I loved) open-world gameplay. The characters I could do without, and yeah Jason's awesome rad magical tattoos! was just out there, but the gameplay was solid enough and enjoyable. Just the sheer amount of stuff you could do running around the islands exploring and doing stunts was great. I'd pick up FC4 ASAP, but I just can't afford to :cry:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Farcry 3 was improved by the addition of ninjas and daft punk robots.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I never understood why people around the launch of Far Cry 3 kept going on about how scary and dangerous the tigers and Cassowarys and whatnot were. Until I learned they *weren't* playing it like a rich douchey white guy simulator.

Like, I don't think I died to a single animal at all in my first playthrough. Tiger nearby? Run it over with a jeep. Run it over a couple more times just to be sure. Hunt bears with land mines. Throw grenades into every pool that might look like it has a shark or a croc just to be sure.

Run down whole herds of animals in a car and only harvest a single pelt.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I never understood why people around the launch of Far Cry 3 kept going on about how scary and dangerous the tigers and Cassowarys and whatnot were. Until I learned they *weren't* playing it like a rich douchey white guy simulator.

Like, I don't think I died to a single animal at all in my first playthrough. Tiger nearby? Run it over with a jeep. Run it over a couple more times just to be sure. Hunt bears with land mines. Throw grenades into every pool that might look like it has a shark or a croc just to be sure.

Run down whole herds of animals in a car and only harvest a single pelt.

You're supposed to run around with reckless abandon like a dipshit, not be all cold and calculating. If you aren't on top of 6 leopards when you notice the first one, you're doing it wrong.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Volkerball posted:

You're supposed to run around with reckless abandon like a dipshit, not be all cold and calculating. If you aren't on top of 6 leopards when you notice the first one, you're doing it wrong.

Yeah pretty much this. I reinstalled it yesterday and added the Wingsuit From The Start patch and have just been driving around the island having shootouts and watching dudes get eaten by packs of komodo dragons.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Burn everything, salt the earth.
http://www.pcgamer.com/far-cry-3-blood-dragon-wont-be-getting-a-follow-up/

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm totally ok with that. Same as that guy says, part of the reason Blood Dragon was so great is because it was a one-time April fool's joke come to life. Ubisoft should make some other ridiculous concept spinoff of one of their games, but something else next time.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm totally ok with that. Same as that guy says, part of the reason Blood Dragon was so great is because it was a one-time April fool's joke come to life. Ubisoft should make some other ridiculous concept spinoff of one of their games, but something else next time.

instead of 80's post apocalypse, 50's future science.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I wanted a 90's themed Blood Dragon :(

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

When it came to FC3's writing there are much bigger gripes, but I hope to god the encyclopedia descriptions won't be a bunch of lol in-laws amirite? jokes this time around. That poo poo was awkward.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Brick Shipment posted:

When it came to FC3's writing there are much bigger gripes, but I hope to god the encyclopedia descriptions won't be a bunch of lol in-laws amirite? jokes this time around. That poo poo was awkward.
The equivalent stuff in Assassin's Creed is the same, so maybe Ubisoft doesn't know how to do them in a non-awkward way. Or maybe it is some French or French-Canadian kind of humor I am not familiar with?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Roobanguy posted:

instead of 80's post apocalypse, 50's future science.

Fallout already exists

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Fallout already exists

i mean more jetsons than fallout. they already have those helicopters you can shoot from, all they would have to do is make them hover cars and than you can have fly by's.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Roobanguy posted:

i mean more jetsons than fallout
Now you're talking! Where are the games set in a world like that, anyway?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Croccers posted:

I wanted a 90's themed Blood Dragon :(

What would a 90s era blood dragon even be like?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

exquisite tea posted:

I agree and it's why I only buy Ubisoft open world games when they're discounted to like $15 or $20. So far I've played Far Cry 3, AC1, and AC2 and I always feel like I've seen everything the game has to offer after 10-15 hours, and the story or the characters have never been captivating enough to keep me playing either. All of them have been very polished AAA games, but they just seem to lack some... character to keep me interested. It's like every design decision was made by a focus group.

I did eventually finish FC3, but it was so samey that it felt like a waste of time afterwards.

Smol fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Nov 10, 2014

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Sammus posted:

Goosebumps.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Sammus posted:

Johnny Mnemonic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Total Recall.

• Locked thread