Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Liver
May 4, 2009

Sync is the best musical track in the game, bar none.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Valgaav posted:

I assume that flight is disabled in there? Or were you just giving it a fair shake?

He was giving it a fair shake. It's also what you'd need to do to get that anticube on NG. (The only ones that require NG+ - or a guide or previous playthrough to know the solutions without seeing them - are the ones that require first person view.)

But no, flight absolutely works. It's how I got through there.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

John Liver posted:

Sync is the best musical track in the game, bar none.

Sync/Glitch, get it right :v:. Both are the best track.

Also! Fun little fact about the game for y'all! Glitch is composed of bits and pieces from every other track in the game, according to the composer, Disasterpeace.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Interesting, so the first ending was zooming in on Gomez and seeing his 'atoms', the second was zooming out, seeing that the world is a cube, one of many, which exist in a hypercube, one of many. Sort of a multiverse thing.

Anyway, don't tease us like that, show us what secrets lie behind that 64-cube door.

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.
Your editing is masterful! Good job!

CaptQuick
Apr 30, 2009

Vil posted:

He was giving it a fair shake. It's also what you'd need to do to get that anticube on NG. (The only ones that require NG+ - or a guide or previous playthrough to know the solutions without seeing them - are the ones that require first person view.)

But no, flight absolutely works. It's how I got through there.

I had no idea about the flight till the video where he showed it off. I wish I'd known about it before I did my second run through the game. I would have enjoyed trivializing the foundry.

Regarding the video. Fez IS available on Gog.com and I think the only way to find out about the achievement anticube in that version is to read a walkthrough.

Also love the puns. Puns are the best.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I was going from memory on that claim, and the assumption that Phil and Renaud would have taken that cube into consideration. Tempted to redo the commentary now.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Well, now i get why people complain about the ending.

That was some great editing on that last anticube, that part has always been my favorite.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Did I miss it or did you not cover deciphering the language? I can't remember if they are useful for solving any puzzles or not either.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Did I miss it or did you not cover deciphering the language? I can't remember if they are useful for solving any puzzles or not either.

I think it's just flavor. It works that way, imo.

That was an amazing penultimate video, frozen. Lots of great editing, and some really great stuff you showed off.

But I'm not wrong in assuming this is the penultimate video, right? You still haven't shown us what's behind the 64 cube door in the back of the pyramid.

e: I was thinking about the glitch room contextually, in relation to what we know of the world, and I'm not really finding an answer. If we think if it in terms of the computer motif, is it bad memory? Maybe the core dump area? As neat as it is, it's weird.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

The worst room in the game (made much better by puns) immediately followed by the best room in the game. It is good.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

The glitch room reminds me of that glitched mario land 2 TAS where mario is just literally running through the game's programming code being outputed as level data, resulting in just a jumble of level blocks.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Sync is amazing, but the version heard in-game isn't on the soundtrack for the game because part of the beat is sound effects from the platforms rather than the background music. Good choice to present those rooms without commentary.

What's the name of the song you added for the beginning of the video?

Next time: pure and utter bullshit.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

frozentreasure posted:

Observatory. I'll give you that one for free.

Oh, drat it, fine. Okay, without having seen the last episode (so sorry if I repeat what the last video just did), here's my guesses:

text outside the observatory: THE POINTS CONSTELLATE / CONSPIRE TO CREATE SHAPES / SHAPES TO TESSELLATE

So each view of the telescope has two symbols picked out. They're the same symbols as the wall of lights (picked out here, the rotated versions) and going off the actions you did to make everything light up the symbols are pretty easy to tie to buttons.

Assuming we're going right-to-left, the symbols picked out in order of the observatory video (too lazy to make screenshots at the moment) are right jump jump rotate-right rotate-right left rotate-right right.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure I've seen you do the purple obelisks yet, so they might need doing by rotating the strip of codes according to the blackboard shot and then entering the button commands where -| pieces correspond to a direction, the square corresponds to jump, and the s and z pieces to rotation.

e: Well, dicks, got beaten to it. I'd plotted it out a while but didn't write it up properly.

e: Looking at the video, I got the order wrong. Huh. Seems odd that the writing would be right-to-left but the codes are left-to-right.

The map node for the observatory hasn't gone gold yet, but I couldn't spot anything else in there.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Stelas posted:

The map node for the observatory hasn't gone gold yet, but I couldn't spot anything else in there.

Watch at 720p fullscreen; if you still can't see anything, don't worry.

Paracelsus posted:

What's the name of the song you added for the beginning of the video?

A remix of the Puzzle theme, available on FZ: Side F, one of two remix albums available for the Fez soundtrack.

Paracelsus posted:

Sync is amazing, but the version heard in-game isn't on the soundtrack for the game

It's on Side F, though.

Valgaav posted:

i now understand everything.

If you say so.

Anyway, I have to unfortunately mention that it'll probably be a little while before the next video (despite this last one taking a couple of weeks alone). This video took a lot a lot a lot of work, and I don't know yet how long it's going to take to record and edit everything for the next one. Meanwhile, things are getting busy with starting my business up, so I need to devote more of my attention towards it in the next little while, until I've got my business plan finished and things are up and running. I'd like to say that the wait will be totally worth it, and that the next one will blow this one out of the water, but I also consider this video probably the best I've done, so who knows. Should be interesting to watch one way or another.

In any case, see y'all in a few weeks. Hopefully not too long.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 27, 2015

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

frozentreasure posted:

Watch at 720p fullscreen; if you still can't see anything, don't worry.

Ah, yeah, that'd do it. For the moment I'm relegated to a crappy old travel laptop.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Amazing job with Glitch - a perfect cap to everything we've seen in the LP (so far!)

The four identical first person puzzles with those "eye" statues are one of my niggles with the game - it feels a bit lazy to do the exact same thing four times, especially when other parts of the game (like the alphabet) go underused. They could at least have made it so that each thing you need to read off the floor was a slightly different puzzle, rather than four more rows of tetrimino code symbols. I have a similar problem with the four clock tower anticubes and the four thrumming stones (although at least three of them have the nice link of being in "super-retro" areas). Okay, sets of four fit neatly with the whole powers-of-two thing the game does, but it still feels wasteful.

Speaking of super-retro areas, echoing the love for Sync. I remember someone hinting at it with "the purple room" earlier in the LP, but to me it seems less purple and more of a reference to CGA Palette 1. Goes nicely with the Game Boy stylings of the Sewers and the Virtual Boy stylings of the Foundry (nice job on that, I just ended up flying through it when I played).

e: oh right, one more thing. For people who were wondering earlier how you could miss entire hub areas before reaching 32 cubes, you can see how working out the tetrimino code early opens up quite a few anticubes.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 27, 2015

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
My favorite sign reads "Trapped in a Fez factory please send help"

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Valgaav posted:

Well, that bit with the error was cool as hell.

What are you talking about? There is no error.

ViggyNash posted:

I was thinking about the glitch room

What are you talking about? There are no glitches.

Tengames posted:

The glitch room

Paul.Power posted:

Amazing job with Glitch

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.
I'm going to point out that, if my math is correct from when I went through this game, over half (17) of the anticubes are "dancing" puzzles - they rely on specific key presses, usually in specific places, and 10 of those specifically key into the tetrominoes.

This is probably my most significant issue with Fez - for a game with a lot of neat playing around with concepts and messing around with view, too many of the puzzles boil down to one specific way to unlock them, whereas one-off puzzles that possibly could have been given more space/room to stretch languish. Even despite this, though, I rather enjoyed the game and I'm glad I played it - and really glad this LP convinced me to give it a rotate.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I heard around 13:35 that the Foundary is one of 3 special platforming challenges. Assuming one other is that "glitch" level, what's the last one?

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Sync, that level with the timed blocks.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Throwing this out there: during that totally not at all glitchy sequence, Youtube decided to poo poo itself briefly and had to actually pause and buffer the video for me. I thought it was an intentional editing effect until I moused over and checked that, no, it was Youtube being lovely.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I'm digging the Night Vale-y vibes and general presentation and editing. I knew most of these puzzles already, from previous LPs and my own time with the game, but this is still a fantastic watch.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?
Wow. That whole episode was really something.

It just sort of cuts out from 30:50 to 33:25, but it was otherwise really well edited.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

liquidypoo posted:

Throwing this out there: during that totally not at all glitchy sequence, Youtube decided to poo poo itself briefly and had to actually pause and buffer the video for me. I thought it was an intentional editing effect until I moused over and checked that, no, it was Youtube being lovely.

Yeah my internet was being dumb during that part and it scaled through a bunch of different resolutions while playing that part. It was neat.

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.
+1 for YouTube weirdness during that part. Probably just because it was so visually busy, but still, great effect. :)

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Sorry to keep you waiting.

Part 18: Don't Go Rotatin' My Heart

I feel like I could have done some things better in this video, but I was only able to record one take of a certain part in the last month and I didn't want to spend another month waiting for the opportunity.

Anyway, stay tuned for some supplemental videos in the coming weeks.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Well of COURSE it's seven. Heart cubes only have seven pieces, rather than the usual eight.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
The mysteries reach such a scope that to turn around one could still not gaze upon their horizon.

I wonder how many puzzles require sifting through the code in Hex.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
To be honest, I thought it was a down arrow pointing at the geyser at first...

Jesus christ, though. This game goes HARD after you get past the first cubes. I can't imagine what kind of mind would even think up the binary puzzle, much less actually solve it. And that last one!

Also, Gomez, the gently caress'd you do?!

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Oh man, that final puzzle can go to hell and die.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I fully admit to looking up the solutions to every single thing in this video.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
I personally found the spelling puzzle pretty easy, up until the actual part of rearranging the letters. Then it was just wasting my time.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Valgaav posted:

I can't imagine what kind of mind would even think up the binary puzzle, much less actually solve it. And that last one!

Herein lies my biggest problem with the game: Thinking up these puzzles? Child's play.

These later puzzles all take so much dedication, ingenuity, and sharp instinct to solve that proportionately every puzzle must be some masterpiece of game design from the mind of a genius, right?But no, they're not. In the same way that encryption algorithms are cheap in design and yet nigh impossible to crack, all of these puzzles are cheap, pretentious knockoffs of true genius that take minimal effort to make, but your whole being to solve.

Think I'm full of poo poo? Let me make one up right now.

Suppose a character in the game says something suggestive of a puzzle like... oh, I don't know, "I think the frogs speak in code, but it might just be my imagination," and suppose there are some subtle environmental details to back that up. Then suppose that the movement of every frog in the game - of which there are... let's say 5 - move in a specific and unique pattern of in which they turn from left to right, right to left, or jump. Then the player must interpret those movements as a sequence of inputs to be performed in that level to receive a cube.

I just pulled that poo poo out of my rear end and it's not all that different from any of the more complex puzzles in the game. I could even remove certain steps in that sequence and suddenly it's exponentially more difficult to solve, no brain cells needed.

What I'm getting at is that I'd rather ignore all of the game after the first ending and treat Fez like a relaxing and beautiful platforming/exploration game, and have the language and number system as fun side details, because the majority of the rest of the game, for me, utterly ruins what already made the game so great.

e: To counter all that negativity, I must say that I really liked that riddle puzzle. It's the perfect place to put a post-end-game puzzle. The solution is kinda silly, but I liked the puzzle at least.

VV See? He gets what I'm saying. Actually, I have no idea what that says, or if it says anything at all.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 5, 2015

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ViggyNash posted:

In the same way that encryption algorithms are cheap in design and yet nigh impossible to crack, all of these puzzles are cheap, pretentious knockoffs of true genius that take minimal effort to make, but your whole being to solve.

Think I'm full of poo poo? Let me make one up right now.

zgpcvvzllqqyxvbwhlgavrxzswlvhlqnqljzhmwlzlrziilgyvdqwaqcvevclqhqievzncgljvchlztylqvukiqcglzqs

EDIT: Yes, this is actually saying something and I made sure it can be solved. Good luck. No cheating.

No Gravitas fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Mar 5, 2015

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
frozentreasure, I salute you for the suffering you must have gone through to make this LP this far. It's been marvellous, even though the puzzles quickly got ridiculous and eventually turned to absolute bullshit.

I wonder if someone will ever come out and confirm/deny that monolith's 'logic'. Probably not.

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 5, 2015

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

the puzzles would be a lot neater if most of them didnt just boil down to "input a button code to make a cube spawn somewhere", It seems like such a disappointing payoff , especially compared to the ones that actually show you some special places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

ViggyNash posted:

Thinking up these puzzles? Child's play.

Let me make one up right now.

Except you didn't make up that puzzle. You made up a similar puzzle, from earlier in the game, but this is a false equivalency. I'm not going to say that every puzzle is perfect, well-designed or genius, because that's not true, but there are better ways to criticise the game than how you have done in literally every one of your posts. For all your efforts to insist that you really do like the game for its exploration, you keep on ignoring what the exploration actually does for the puzzle solving.

No Gravitas posted:

zgpcvvzllqqyxvbwhlgavrxzswlvhlqnqljzhmwlzlrziilgyvdqwaqcvevclqhqievzncgljvchlztylqvukiqcglzqs

This also is a false equivalency. It's certainly easy to whip something up in a cipher, throw it at someone, tell them to solve it, and have them be stumped for ten times as long as it took to create it, but that's not what this game did, and acting like it is is incredibly reductive.

• Locked thread