Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Yeah... dunno what happened with yours.

In the vid, frozentreasure said something like "I don't know if this glitching out has to do with this area or is caused by the loss of the hexahedron". That was what I was referring to. It's not glitching, it's lightning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I think it very explicitly is supposed to be a "glitch" within the world. We have the starry sky occasionally swapped out for a daylight sky.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah no, that most certainly is not lightning, its the sky "glitching". its not a glitch, its a actual visual effect, but its supposed to seem like a glitch.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
This seems like a nice game. Does it remain nice, or does it become dark / menacing / violent at some point?

I'm considering getting this for a toughtful toddler I know for Christmas. He likes Knytt stories (or anything by Nifflas), Minecraft and the Portal games, so this seems like something he'd be into.

e: vvvvvvv he doesn't care about "difficulty" or "beating levels" if that's what you're after. He plays everything like it's a sandbox game. As long as there's no emotional penalty for failure (like there doesn't seem to be here) he just keeps trucking along. For example, he got upset by the sad fruit when you fail a level in that fruit juicer game on android, but he's completely unfazed by things that have adults rip their hair out screaming obscenities, like late game portal maps, and whatever tomdickery nifflas' fanbase concoct in their sadist circlejerk competeition to make the most punishing knytt stories extension. He plays that with a simle. He stone cold crazy that boy.

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 16, 2014

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It stays the same all the way throughout. The things that aren't nice are game design decisions that are coming up.

Unless he is an autist, I'd not give it to a kid. You'll see why.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Waltzing Along posted:

It stays the same all the way throughout. The things that aren't nice are game design decisions that are coming up.

Unless he is an autist, I'd not give it to a kid. You'll see why.

I'm an autist and I did not like it later on either.

The Milkman Cometh
Sep 13, 2007
Bookmarked!

I've been hoping for a complete Fez LP for a while now.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The Milkman Cometh posted:

Bookmarked!

I've been hoping for a complete Fez LP for a while now.

Great user name.

No Gravitas posted:

I'm an autist and I did not like it later on either.

I just mean that in order to finish the game, the amount of really stupid poo poo you have to do is off the charts. Every puzzle does make its own internal sense but yeah. One of these updates will show, what I think, is the biggest flaw to the game, and then I will go in depth.

E: I'm waiting for the OP to explicitly point something out before commenting, though some LPers would have mentioned it by now.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 16, 2014

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Waltzing Along posted:

E: I'm waiting for the OP to explicitly point something out before commenting, though some LPers would have mentioned it by now.

PM me, I can't think of what I would have said already that I'm not because I'm avoiding talking about puzzles.

Also, if your gripe is with a puzzle, you're gonna have to deal with not saying anything for awhile, 'cause we're not getting to those for awhile and your posts are starting to follow a trend.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
((Spoiler stuff removed)) -Geop

...sorry. I get excited about stuff.

e: woah crikey I didn't mean to actually spoil anything. I have zero idea about this game and just called it like I saw it. Sorry!

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 18, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Karate Bastard posted:

((Spoiler stuff removed)) -Geop

I had the same reaction when I was playing. I just never figured out how to get in there.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 18, 2014

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Karate Bastard posted:

Wow, dude, one of the only rules I had and you still broke it.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

frozentreasure posted:

Welcome to LP Nofriendo Entertainment System.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

frozentreasure posted:

He didn't say anything that was particularly spoilery unless you knew what he was talking about already. Dunno if that makes sense.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
e: nothing to see here, see above comment about the spoilers!

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 18, 2014

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
But this is a chill LP in like 50 chill parts.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

He didn't say anything that was particularly spoilery unless you knew what he was talking about already. Dunno if that makes sense.

I don't think it was much of a spoiler at all. The shape of the underwater bit was pretty obvious, and differed enough from other areas that lots of people must have thought the same. Not unlike how we've seen a few very obvious puzzle rooms.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Yeah, okay, I'm sorry, that was unnecessary on my part.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Karate Bastard posted:

This seems like a nice game. Does it remain nice, or does it become dark / menacing / violent at some point?

I'm considering getting this for a toughtful toddler I know for Christmas. He likes Knytt stories (or anything by Nifflas), Minecraft and the Portal games, so this seems like something he'd be into.

e: vvvvvvv he doesn't care about "difficulty" or "beating levels" if that's what you're after. He plays everything like it's a sandbox game. As long as there's no emotional penalty for failure (like there doesn't seem to be here) he just keeps trucking along. For example, he got upset by the sad fruit when you fail a level in that fruit juicer game on android, but he's completely unfazed by things that have adults rip their hair out screaming obscenities, like late game portal maps, and whatever tomdickery nifflas' fanbase concoct in their sadist circlejerk competeition to make the most punishing knytt stories extension. He plays that with a simle. He stone cold crazy that boy.

If he doesn't care about 100% completion, hell yes, he'll love it.

If he does care about 100% completion, no, he's too young.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

frozentreasure posted:

Yeah, okay, I'm sorry, that was unnecessary on my part.

No worries mate, we cool. Love your LP, man :)

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Karate Bastard posted:

It's not violent, but a young child may see one or two areas as a little scary. He won't have to go to them if he doesn't want, though.

Part 04: Mine Your Manners

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 22, 2014

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Fez was a little tooooo chill for me to get very far into it; I guess at the time I needed something more grabby to distract me. I am hella enjoying these videos though.

Your opening line on this one is pretty much me right now, except swap in a black manhattan for the hot chocolate.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I like the fox and dog visual pun in the mush-room.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
Edit: Apparently I shouldn't be saying things.

Valgaav fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Nov 22, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
e: That seemed like something anyone could have seen whether or not they played the game, but that I just happened to miss. Not really a spoiler, as far as I know.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 22, 2014

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Valgaav, none of what you've said has happened in the game and you're tipping your hand that you've played the game before. Stop talking (and please edit your post), you'll have your chance to discuss stuff later.

Viggy, you've also played the game.

I get wanting to talk about the game, and I'm sorry if I'm coming across as super controlling about this, but I want to give people a chance to discover things without being told the answers.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 22, 2014

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

frozentreasure posted:

Valgaav, none of what you've said has happened in the game and you're tipping your hand that you've played the game before. Stop talking (and please edit your post), you'll have your chance to discuss stuff later.

I haven't, actually, but post edited anyway I guess?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I dunno how I feel about this LP.

OP, you are posting short vids that are made even shorter by spending the last 20% of them doing nothing. You say chill a lot. And you ignore things on the screen that a viewer would/should notice. Do you have a plan or are you just kinda winging it?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Valgaav posted:

I haven't, actually, but post edited anyway I guess?

Okay, I'm sorry; nothing to do with owls has happened in the game and it sounded like you had seen later parts of the game. I think I just realised that by telling people off for seemingly saying things that are spoilers, I'm spoiling points of interest even more. I'll stop doing that, 'cause I don't want to discourage people from saying anything at all.

Waltzing Along posted:

I dunno how I feel about this LP.

Yes, the videos aren't overly long, and I said they wouldn't be that long at the start; this is because, like a lot of games, it's not that long when you go through it in an organised fashion. If I did videos lasting 30-60 minutes, we'd be at the ending by the next update. I don't do anything at the end for the same reason I don't say a whole lot: I'm trying to let the atmosphere of the game come through. And yes, I'm ignoring quite a lot of stuff; we're in Exploration Mode. If I'm ignoring it, you can assume it's to do with a puzzle that I don't need to solve to beat New Game.

As for chill…I'll cut that down, if not out. I've been falling into that trap of forcing catchphrases and I should know better. It was mostly to set up for the crash at the start of the game.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

frozentreasure posted:

If I'm ignoring it, you can assume it's to do with a puzzle that I don't need to solve to beat New Game.

There's ignoring stuff you don't need for this version of the game (Whatever's going on with that tetris puzzle) and then there's blatantly not commenting on things that most people would notice. I found myself wondering why you weren't trying to go through the 'two cube' doors, that turned out to be infinity doors, for example, and in the room with the infinite scrolling you could see the 'I'm over here!' outline of the Cube from below you and also saw it as you jumped to your death.

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

It seems tricky when you're doing a puzzle game or plot-twisty game to allow supposition and discussion while restricting spoilers. I mean, inevitably, someone IS going to guess the puzzle correctly, even if they (like myself) have never played the game before. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless someone guesses a bunch of them in a row without discussing and hashing them out in the thread.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the LP! I should probably try to play through it myself before you get past Exploration mode and into Puzzle mode, since it's just sitting there in my Steam library, gathering dust.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

This is a great and relaxing LP. Please keep glossing over or subtly lampshading things, rather than bluntly pointing them out to take all the fun out of it. Combined with the ambience of the game I'm absolutely certain it works out much better this way, leaving stuff up to the viewer.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

You don't actually need to move away from the bombs! Just like Batman, Gomez is immune to explosions that he causes.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

This LP kinda makes me want to give the game another shot. It seems like the kind of game that is more fun to discover for oneself. Much like a Shadow of the Colossus, La-Mulana or Dark Souls because the world of those games tell a very interesting story that CAN be experience vicariously, but it doesn't strike me as the ideal way to experience it.

If I try the game again I'll try to keep up with this thread at least so I can follow the LP.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I wasn't that pleased with the commentary when I first recorded it, but I'd wanted to get an update out before the end of the week. So I went and redid part four. Previous links have been updated as well.

IGgy IGsen posted:

This LP kinda makes me want to give the game another shot.

What made you stop playing it initially?

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 22, 2014

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

I actually preferred the first version...

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

frozentreasure posted:

What made you stop playing it initially?

I found it very boring. But that may have been my mistake because I went at it looking for more of a platforming/gameplay challenge but I realized now that this doesn't appear the be the focus of the game. So I went into it with the wrong mentality.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah, the main draw is the puzzles, the perspective based platforming, despite being used as a main selling point, isn't really the strong point of the game. At this rate we are going now, It's gonna be a while before we get to the puzzles, but when we do we are gonna have plenty to talk about.

Also I didn't say it before but yeah, Bit of overuse of chill there.

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

Did you say "drainage valve" in the recut? I think I know what will give us cause to come back to the room with the big submerged pyramid later, then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

IGgy IGsen posted:

So I went into it with the wrong mentality.

I have words to project out of my face hole about this once we reach NG+. For now I'll say that you and Zoig are really only half-right.

• Locked thread