Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

What is Fez? Fez is a game that looks like this:

But it really looks like THIS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZfnxKB9HCM

(And it sounds like this)

It's a really good-looking game with a really immersive, relaxing atmosphere. It's the kind of game you put on at the end of the day to calm down and just go. Something you look up from and realise that two hours have gone by while you play, and that you've explored so much that you're twenty rooms away from where you started. There's lots of nooks and crannies with secrets to find, some good puzzles, some great music; and one of the most infamous development histories behind it.

But we're not going to focus on that. We're going to focus on the "relaxing" part of the game. And so I only have a couple of rules for the thread:

1) DO NOT TALK ABOUT PHIL FISH - I'm not saying we can't say anything bad; I'm going to say bad things about the game when they come up, because the game is by no means perfect, but since the odds are pretty high that nobody here actually knows Phil as a person, I don't want to hear any discussion on the kind of guy he may or may not be based on any interviews or tweets you may have seen. Separate art from artist and appreciate the work that went into this.

2) DO NOT SPOIL ANYTHING - You might be aware that Fez has some pretty deep puzzles, whether by word-of-mouth or playing the game yourself. That is true, but I'm LPing the game in two halves. The first half is EXPLORATION MODE, where I'm going to explore every inch of the map that has cubes and cube bits in it. Once we've collected all 32 cubes and ascended to New Game Plus, we'll begin PUZZLE MODE, where I'll cover all of the proper puzzles in the game. If you know about the puzzles and their solutions, please don't say anything until I cover them. If you haven't played the game and this is all new to you, you might be able to piece together some solutions in Exploration Mode. Feel free to discuss puzzles if you're new to the game and genuinely haven't seen them before, I encourage you to collaborate with other people in the thread who haven't seen the puzzles, if there are enough of you. Collaborative puzzle solving is, in fact, completely intended as part of the game's design.

3) DO NOT DWELL - Like I said, I'm not going to heap praise upon every aspect of the game, but try not to get caught up on the bad stuff. There isn't enough of it in the game that it should be ruining your fun with it.

4) WATCH IN HIGH DEFINITION AT 60 FRAMES PER SECOND - This is more of a suggestion, but since YouTube allows for 60fps videos, I recorded the game that way, and it looks really good at 720p 60fps, so I do encourage you to watch that way if you can.

And now, unless I'm forgetting something important, let's all take a deep breath…

…and exhale. Let's begin.

NEW GAME - EXPLORATION MODE ACTIVATE!

Part 01: Chilling And Crashing
Part 02: Crate Expectations
Part 03: Neon Genesis Evan-bell-ion
Part 04: Mine Your Manners
Part 05: Welcome To The (Light)House Of Fun
Part 06: Wind(mill) Me Up And Watch Me Go
Part 07: Dizzying Heights
Part 08: Industrial Revolutions
Part 09: Application of Rotation Theory
Part 10: The Other Kind Of Chilling
Part 11: Throne Into New Experiences
Part 12: Let Me Lens You A Hand
Part 13: Time, Space, Continuum

NEW GAME PLUS - PUZZLE MODE GO!

Part 14: The First-Person You Think Of
Part 15: Reflect On These Lessons
Part 16: Owl Do The Talking
Part 17: That Syncing Feeling
Part 18: Don't Go Rotatin' My Heart

APPENDICES

Appendix A: The Endings of Fez
Appendix B: The Music of Fez
Appendix C: The Puzzles of Fez

PHOTO ALBUM - GOMEZ'S SUMMER MEMORIES

This is from that one time I looked at a reverse sunset.

This is from that one time I looked at a forward sunset.

This is from that one time I jumped into some water.

This is from that one time I was in some water.

This is from that one time I looked at this really cool neon sign.

This is from that one time I sat on this spinny thing.

This is from that one time I looked at the top of this really cool neon sign.

This is from that one time I danced at an underground rave.

This is from that one time I looked at a tree.

This is from that one time I looked at a stream of water.

This is from that one time I stared into the infinite vastness of space.

This is from that one time I forgot what time it was.

This is from that one time I remembered I'm actually Phil Collins.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Roro posted:

Does the passage of time in game have any effect on gameplay?

I was just joking around in the tutorial; you can spend ages talking to people and it'll still be Special Day. If anything, it shows, again, how the intro has some pacing issues.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I hate games that offer you pretty much no hints whatsoever, so while it's great to get lost in exploring Fez's world, it's frustrating to find some block puzzle and spend an hour doing combinations for what feels like an obvious solution only to know nothing more about it than you did when you started.

While I disagree with the notion that it gives you no hints whatsoever (it really is like Dark Souls in the amount of information you have to be paying attention for), I will grant you that the exploration and the puzzle solving come at odds and can result in frustration. It happened to me when I first played the game; I was expecting some puzzles and some platforming, but the extent of the puzzles wasn't what I was ready for and I didn't know where to start paying attention and writing things down, what I should be writing down, and so on. Same thing happened with La Mulana, in fact.

Anyway, here's a super punctual update to get us into the real part of Fez, as well as open up some discussion on the lore of the world of Fez.

Part 02: Crate Expectations

I forgot to duck the audio at some of the louder segments. If it's too hard to listen to, let me know and I'll fix it.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

ViggyNash posted:

Sounds fine. Great lp btw, though you intentionally skipping those shortcuts is annoying me. My inner explorer is crying out.

If I took the little gate I ignored, all that would have accomplished would have been needing to backtrack to where I was. We learned what they do later on, so we know what would have happened.

Unless you mean the other thing.

Aishlinn posted:

I think our next stop should be the Bell Tower For no particular reason. (we are voting on this, right?)

If it makes you feel better, sure. In truth, because I know what directions lead to dead-ends and what ones lead to new areas, I've got my path through the game pretty much all planned out. While letting the thread decide where to go would be a fun idea and fit in with the exploration, I need to have some predefined structure to help me explore everywhere without wasting everyone's time.

Having said that, the bell tower is actually next.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm wondering if anyone has ever finished this game without a walkthrough or hints of some sort. I ask because there is one puzzle in particular that is so needlessly obscure, I can't see how anyone would have figured it out.

It would depend on what you mean by "finished" and "puzzle". Since you said "one puzzle", I have an inkling of which one you mean, and if I'm right, it's not that obscure. All in due time, though.

Part 03: Neon Genesis Evan-bell-ion

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Waltzing Along posted:

E: I'm waiting for the OP to explicitly point something out before commenting, though some LPers would have mentioned it by now.

PM me, I can't think of what I would have said already that I'm not because I'm avoiding talking about puzzles.

Also, if your gripe is with a puzzle, you're gonna have to deal with not saying anything for awhile, 'cause we're not getting to those for awhile and your posts are starting to follow a trend.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Karate Bastard posted:

...sorry. I get excited about stuff.

Wow, dude, one of the only rules I had and you still broke it.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Yeah, okay, I'm sorry, that was unnecessary on my part.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Karate Bastard posted:

This seems like a nice game. Does it remain nice, or does it become dark / menacing / violent at some point?

It's not violent, but a young child may see one or two areas as a little scary. He won't have to go to them if he doesn't want, though.

Part 04: Mine Your Manners

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 22, 2014

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Valgaav, none of what you've said has happened in the game and you're tipping your hand that you've played the game before. Stop talking (and please edit your post), you'll have your chance to discuss stuff later.

Viggy, you've also played the game.

I get wanting to talk about the game, and I'm sorry if I'm coming across as super controlling about this, but I want to give people a chance to discover things without being told the answers.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 22, 2014

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Valgaav posted:

I haven't, actually, but post edited anyway I guess?

Okay, I'm sorry; nothing to do with owls has happened in the game and it sounded like you had seen later parts of the game. I think I just realised that by telling people off for seemingly saying things that are spoilers, I'm spoiling points of interest even more. I'll stop doing that, 'cause I don't want to discourage people from saying anything at all.

Waltzing Along posted:

I dunno how I feel about this LP.

Yes, the videos aren't overly long, and I said they wouldn't be that long at the start; this is because, like a lot of games, it's not that long when you go through it in an organised fashion. If I did videos lasting 30-60 minutes, we'd be at the ending by the next update. I don't do anything at the end for the same reason I don't say a whole lot: I'm trying to let the atmosphere of the game come through. And yes, I'm ignoring quite a lot of stuff; we're in Exploration Mode. If I'm ignoring it, you can assume it's to do with a puzzle that I don't need to solve to beat New Game.

As for chill…I'll cut that down, if not out. I've been falling into that trap of forcing catchphrases and I should know better. It was mostly to set up for the crash at the start of the game.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I wasn't that pleased with the commentary when I first recorded it, but I'd wanted to get an update out before the end of the week. So I went and redid part four. Previous links have been updated as well.

IGgy IGsen posted:

This LP kinda makes me want to give the game another shot.

What made you stop playing it initially?

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 22, 2014

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

IGgy IGsen posted:

So I went into it with the wrong mentality.

I have words to project out of my face hole about this once we reach NG+. For now I'll say that you and Zoig are really only half-right.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Waltzing Along posted:

I think this is the problem. The attitude that there have to be a lot of videos to make a good LP.

That's not my attitude, but okay.

quote:

It doesn't matter as long as you present the content completely.

Glad we agree.

Zoig posted:

I cant rush you mind, and frankly the videos are great, but I will admit it kills me a little waiting 3-5 or so days for a 10-15 minute video.

It kills me as well, frankly. Between work, trying to set up my own business, and finding moments where I can actually record without obnoxious background noise, the days just end up passing by pretty quickly.

Everyone who's bored with the ending of the videos: I would cut the endings off a little sooner than I am if the day/night cycle was a little quicker; I've been mostly doing it to give people something to look at and make GIFs out of if they wanted, so I usually want it to be long enough for the scenery to actually change noticeably. I'm sorry if that's a bit annoying; having said that, I'm not going to get rid of it completely (maybe tone it down a little), because I don't see the harm in it. I'll promise this now: every video in Exploration Mode ends this way. If you see me move the camera to stare into the scenery, you can safely assume there's nothing else that's going to happen in the video, so you can either tune out and listen to the music for a minute or two, or just close the video, I don't mind.

Oh, and here you go.

Part 05: Welcome To The (Light)House Of Fun

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Nov 24, 2014

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Waltzing Along posted:

Did I miss it or have you completely ignored the map so far?

I jumped in and out of it in the first few videos when I couldn't remember if I'd gotten everything in the areas I'd been through; and also to show how the eight cube door was a stub. For the most part, I don't really need to look at it when I'm just exploring around; and most people when they play the game for the first time don't seem to use it either. I got Scruffy to record an hour of the game (which I'll post when we hit NG+, since there's some spoilers in there), and he never checked the map while he was in there, despite going to quite a lot of different screens. When I start solving the puzzles I'll be using it a lot more as sort of a checklist.

Posting another update now, 'cause I'm gonna be quite busy the rest of the week. The industrial zone has about the most difficult platforming overall that we'll see through the game, for anyone wondering if they should avoid playing because of that.

Next update I get to be excited about lore and worldbuilding; the depth of the narrative of the game is really spectacular when you start thinking about it, and I'd love to hear other people's opinions of the areas we've been through so far (bearing story spoilers in mind, people who've played).

Part 06: Wind(mill) Me Up And Watch Me Go

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 28, 2014

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Zoig posted:

Rather the delay between the videos is the problem.

Does anyone else think this about the first few videos, or am I wasting my energy trying to push these out every other day?

Part 07: Dizzying Heights

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Zoig posted:

With that being said, if its possible to keep this update rate up without any trouble and you don't mind it then go ahead and keep it up.

It's a busy time of the year for a lot of things. If I get a long enough period of silence around the house, I can at least try recording a batch of commentary and stagger things out a little.

In the meantime, I'm curious of people's opinions: those of you who haven't played through the game, what do you think of the owls?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Before I get to anything else.

Part 08: Industrial Revolutions

Cannot believe I nearly went through the whole industrial area without using that pun.

Roro posted:

Does the fez wearing old man in the foreign village not speak "English", or is he a plot point that I need to edit this out for?

There are two fez wearers in that village. Neither of them speak English, no. No one in the village speaks English.

Waltzing Along posted:

I say do the updates whenever, but actually do the LP as if you were someone playing the game, rather than someone who has played it and wants to show it off.

Okay, knowing full-well the risk I take here, here's why I'm not doing that.

1) I've already recorded all of NG.
2) That LP already exists on SA, as has been mentioned, and it exists hundreds of times over on YouTube itself.
3) Every single blind LP of a puzzle game is atrocious. All of them. It is impossible to LP a puzzle game without upsetting at least one person, because the LPer is guaranteed to, at at least one point, spend too long on one puzzle, boring someone who has already figured it out, or go too quickly, irritating people who weren't able to solve it as quickly as you.

It also skews the LPer and the viewer's opinion of the game if the LPer just gets stuck on a puzzle that they might not have been looking at with the right frame of mind, or without the necessary information; like Dark Souls, not understanding the game completely can lead to an unfair assessment of it.

I admit that this, quite clearly, isn't a perfect solution, but the beauty of Fez is that it is literally half a puzzle game and half a platformer; you don't need to solve a single puzzle to beat the game1, and that's what I'm trying to show people. I can't think how I could have made it clearer in the OP that puzzle solving was not going to be the focus until NG+.

Puzzle solving is not going to be the focus until NG+. Maybe that'll do it.

I want to show what Phil Fish successfully tricked people into thinking through the whole of Fez's development: that there is an entire, complete game here that is just about perspective-shifting platforming through a richly detailed world.

If people haven't played Fez, I want this LP to be an opportunity to see the game and experience the world. They can get a look at the game without having puzzles ruined for them; and if they're dying to know what solving some of them will lead to and figured the solutions out already, they can go ahead and buy the game for themselves. It's worth buying. If people have played Fez, I want this LP to be an opportunity to remind them of the world that it takes place in and give them a chance to just relax in it, and see a new perspective (ahaha) on the game.

Separate point: I know you really want me to point out a certain something in the game so you can talk about what a bad design decision you think it is; that's not going to happen right now, and if I was playing this as if I was just playing it then the thought wouldn't even occur to me, as it didn't when I first played the game. Even if I wouldn't be spoiling it for people by pointing it out, you talking about the design decision would definitely be spoiling for people. If you're itching to talk about it so much, I'm sorry; deal with it *shades descend from heaven. I don't even own shades, but there they are*. It's not like you'll never have your chance to talk about it; we're going to be seeing and doing everything, just…

chill.

Valgaav posted:

they can look around without The Fez

The new batch of villagers also could operate in all four perspectives without the use of a fez.

Zoig posted:

(which is 75% off on steam right now, by the way. only 2.50$)

Thank the hexahedron I remembered the sale before buying a copy last week(I'll be giving away a copy of the game later in the thread).

1. Technically a lie, but I'll get to that later

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 14, 2014

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Completing puzzles can supplement collecting cubes. If you do enough of them it doesn't matter how many cubes you collect.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Let's see how many of those endorsements for the way I've chosen to play stick around after this video.

Part 09: Application of Rotation Theory

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I gradually leaned closer and closer to my mic while recording this, and I tried adjusting levels to compensate. There might be some points where it gets too loud or quiet.

Part 10: The Other Kind Of Chilling

Roro posted:

You are super excited about this one part, aren't you? It's literally all you talk about. frozentreasure, you should do a co-commentate when the time arrives.

He's going to be waiting awhile. Quite awhile. Also: nah.

bobbertoriley posted:

Yes, let's share Gomez's photo album: "What I did on Summer vacation"

Thank you. Added to the OP, with a couple of Gomez's notes.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Now if only they were a bit bigger (like 1920x1080.)

Even though I'm pretty sure YouTube still converts 1080p footage back down to 720, then upscales that to 1080, I would absolutely be recording in 1080 if I could get 1080 at 60fps.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Dec 4, 2014

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Zoig posted:

I probably should have put those in spoiler tags in the first place.

No, you should have not said anything, because that's what I asked for. Either of you. And by "anything" I meant "anything". And one person talking about what is and isn't a puzzle or a spoiler isn't an invitation for you to respond with what you think is and isn't a spoiler.

If you're both having this much difficulty not saying anything, just don't look at the thread for maybe another week, and NG will be done by the time you come back.

Let's be clear: yes, if there was a room that looked like it had things to do in it and I didn't do anything in it, you can safely assume that it's a puzzle of some sort. Did I ask you to not say anything only if the puzzle wasn't obvious, or did I just ask you to not say anything anything if you know the solutions to puzzles? If not talking about puzzles means you can't think of anything to say in response to an update, then just don't post for that update.

Think of the endorphin rush that comes from solving a puzzle. Now imagine being robbed of that. Which feeling would you rather people get to experience?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

RickVoid posted:

I like Geop and all, but I miss the days when LP was ruled by Slowbeef and his Iron, Yet Caring Fist.

Geop hasn't been doing anything in this thread because I haven't been asking him to, aside from the one post that didn't even have spoilers in it that I overreacted to early in the thread. Everything here has seemed so minor since then that I didn't want to be bugging him constantly about it.

Zoig posted:

Its kinda ironic how despite the relaxing nature of the videos we get all stressed in the thread.

You're the ones making the choice to get stressed, not me.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
La-Mulana took up basically my whole weekend. Anywho.

Part 11: Throne Into New Environments

I'm a bit worried my tone is a little more down than usual; I think the heat got to me while I was recording today.

Alrighty, guess that's the LP over; thanks for joining me, everyone.

Now then, another question for those of you who haven't played the game to ponder across now and the next few videos:

What do you think the backstory and narrative of Fez is?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
To make up for that longer wait through the weekend, and to get us ever closer to NG+, have the next video…mm…right now.

Part 12: Let Me Lens You A Hand

Paul.Power posted:

The Sewers being behind a locked door slowed up finding them the most.

More than that, if you observe where you get each key, where each door is and where locked doors are, it's set up in a really ingenious manner so that the player will most likely be out of keys when they make it to that specific door unless they did basically what I did in the videos.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Guys, we're so close to NG+ now, please keep it together. Someone figuring some stuff out doesn't change anything.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I would get upset at Waltzing Along's position that his opinion of one Let's Play cancels out other people's opinions of an entirely different Let's Play, among other things, if I didn't know that I was going to get the last laugh on him in this next video.

Now then, before the actual link, let me preemptively say:

Some of you who've played the game, or played through one or two specific puzzles, may notice something in this video. In spite of the fact that those things relate to puzzles and I've already asked that you not talk about them…

Please do not say anything.

Is there anyone who is unclear or thinks I'm kidding about this? Nothing in spoiler tags, nothing out of spoiler tags, no pseudo-hints, nothing. I genuinely don't care how badly you want to say something about it; I've had this planned out for weeks, I know what I'm doing, the thread isn't going to get closed before you get your chance to say what you want to say.

For those of you who have not played the game before, if you haven't been watching the videos full screen, I highly recommend doing so for this one.

Part 13: Time, Space, Continuum

I have a little announcement to make, but I'll be giving it a few hours to a full day before I make it, to give people a chance to watch the video.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Valgaav posted:

The nega-cubes or anti-cubes or whatever they were, the blue ones that took up half the hexahedron

Take another look; you're just seeing the cubes we collected with the colours inverted.

quote:

That was a suspiciously long jump there at the end.

People, he means the jump Gomez did off the drums, which was really just for effect and shouldn't be taken too seriously.

quote:

It can't be easy keeping all this under your hat, especially while seeming perky and interested in every new thing despite the fact you must have seen it many times before.

I think you'd be surprised at how many times I'd played the game before doing this LP.

monster on a stick posted:

it's entirely possible to beat the game just exploring

Is it?

Yes it did.

All right, a fair number of you have now had some time to watch the latest video.

Now the challenge is on!

Partially because it's going to take a little bit to put together the video, and partially because I need to focus on things that actually involve my income, I'll be taking maybe a week or two off from the LP. In that time, those of you who haven't played Fez? Here's your chance to solve the puzzles ahead of me.

Every single actual puzzle in the game I've made a point of either not touching or not even encountering; some very obviously, some less so. However I've given you all the information you need to solve all but a few things. You can't solve the treasure maps, 'cause I never showed you them, you can't solve the locked door in the cemetery, 'cause I never went in there, and you can't solve a few other things. You can solve most things, though; and if you manage to solve everything that can currently be solved before anyone else, I've got a free copy of Fez with your name on it!

So go back to school, commune with nature, study the celestial signs; whatever you need to do to divine the answers, get to it, 'cause I won't be pausing to let you work things out when Puzzle Mode begins. Remember to put answers in spoiler blocks and have fun!

And those of you who have played Fez and feel like you'd be twiddling your thumbs in the meantime, since I know you must love the sound of my voice occasionally laid over predominately down-tempo music with accompanying, soothing visuals, and because I do love to plug my work where I can, why not pass the time with my Pid LP I did for Dectilon's hard games thread? It was a similar attempt to keep things relaxed, at least until the points of the game where the tempo picked up. I think the thread's even still kicking around with the archives issue.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
It's interesting that you call that "low-hanging fruit" when everything it "unlocks" is just easter eggs.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
On top of being wrong, wow, you're good at the whole "following rules" thing.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

I will take issue that it is a bad ending.

I think Cheez means "bad ending" as in "an ending which is undesirable", rather than "a poor ending".

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I've gotten the video edited and just need to do commentary, but is nobody but Stelas interested in the puzzles? I get wanting to talk about the ending, but I would've thought there'd be a bit more talk of the puzzles, with how obvious some of them are. At the moment, you would only need to figure out two puzzles to win, too.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

You've been skipping over everything relating to puzzles to such an extent that people might be wary of assuming something you just ran past might be a puzzle since they don't have the opportunity to poke around with it.

Fair enough. Have this for a starting point, then.

Think of every room that I went in where it was pretty clear that there was more to do with, yet I walked out. You've mentioned two of them so far. That you have seen in the videos, there are a total of five, one in three areas, two in one area, and none in the industrial zone. Everything you need for those rooms is right there, I really don't think they're too obscure.

For anyone who wants to try their hand at something more advanced, take a good, long look at the bell.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

A Frosty Beverage posted:

I bet you have to switch faces so the hands rotate until they point in the right axis and it does a thing.

That would have been way cooler than what we got.

Agent355 posted:

Sure, the platforming definitely wasn't meant to be difficult. Which has the side effect of making it not very compelling.

Fez is too easy, Hell Temple is too hard; just no pleasing some people.

Several people posted:

Something along the lines of the puzzles not being clear and you skipped over them too much so we don't know what we could even do and it's all so confusing, etc.

It's come across in the thread to me like the people who've played through the game have been feeding a misconception many people who haven't played the game have: that the game's puzzles are all really obtuse and require a certification in cryptology to decode, involving paying attention to the most minute details, a la La-Mulana (in particular, the Chamber of Birth and Gate of Illusion, both of which we will never speak of again).

That's the case for exactly one puzzle, and I think you're all getting the obtuse nature of that confused with the rest of the game. And two or three easter eggs. Most of the puzzles in the game are still very straightforward and clear, and I don't just say that as someone who's beaten the game. I looked up the answers for all of the easter eggs and several of the harder puzzles on my first playthrough of the game when it came out, but I got most of the cubes on my own steam. There really isn't a lot you can do to mess around with the puzzles to try things out, save for two puzzles that involve picking up and rearranging blocks, both of which are going to be solved in this video; just looking at any given room or area from all four sides gives you most, if not all of the information you need to solve its puzzle.

What I will admit is that by almost never checking the map, none of you who aren't already aware will know what rooms do and don't have puzzles, and in that case it can be annoying to be asked to solve puzzles when you don't know where they are; failing on my part. For the most part, if you look at something and think "that looks a bit out-of-place, what's that?" or "hey, I've seen that before", chances are good that there's a puzzle there. Or if I looked at it, went "hmm…anyway", and walked off.

Honestly, I guess I'm just surprised that after the 12th video, no one had anything to say about the very conspicuous room I spent a good couple of minutes in.

In any case, merry Christmas and happy holidays! As my gift to you, it's time to get started with…

NEW GAME PLUS - PUZZLE MODE GO!

I might redo the commentary, but I'm not sure. Also, sorry if the relaxing nature of the LP kind of…stops at this point.

And yes, I'm going to cut out most, if not all of the travel between destinations following this video. The point here was to show just how quickly you can get around in NG+.

Part 14: The First-Person You Think Of

I rewatched the other Fez LP and was bummed that they made a Future's So Bright reference; I honestly thought I'd be able to say it. To make me feel better, if someone makes an appropriate Deal With It GIF, I'll buy you an avatar for Christmas.

See y'all in the new year.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Paul.Power posted:

I don't think that's a spoiler

We haven't seen it, so it is, but it hardly matters, and the treasure maps are next episode anyway. QR map is found in one of the chests that another map leads you to.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
To be clear, just because I haven't said whether I think puzzles are poorly designed or not doesn't necessarily mean that I don't think they are. I have more to say about each puzzle than the time I spend on them allows, and I'll be doing some supplemental videos to make up for that.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I remember Braid had a puzzle that required 2 hours to complete.

For a bonus star that was entirely optional and intended to not be easy or enjoyable to collect. It required two hours to complete, but the game didn't require the puzzle to be completed itself.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

and most people are going to stumble across one of the anticubes.

As a few people have said, I most definitely did not play through the game the way it was intended; everyone who plays this for themselves is going to stumble across an anticube before they get to 32 cubes.

Manuel Calavera posted:

frozentreasure! I wanted to say this the first time you got to the tuning fork but held off for fear of spoilers.

Huh? No it's not, I went there in Part 09.

suddenly cats posted:

Uhh guys? Last I checked, there was still a rule about no spoilers. I know we're in NG+ now, but that's not an excuse to go blabbing about the other ending(s).

whitehelm is talking about the endings of Braid, in which you discover that Tim is not a hero and that the princess has a several hundred kiloton yield.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 23, 2014

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Manuel Calavera posted:

I knew it was there. I just wanted to comment about it *then*, but thought better about drawing attention to that little audio cue. DOes that make sense?

Oh, I read "this is the first time", not "this the first time". I mean I just thought the audio cue was super apparent anyway; even if you're not wearing headphones or earphones, the music completely drops out and there's a rumbling sound. Exactly what it means without headphones might be a bit harder to place, but still.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
EDIT: Actually, nah.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Dec 23, 2014

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Some of you are getting too excited at the appearance of puzzles and need to chill out until the next update. So relax with this documentary and reflect on how you've now ruined the chance for anyone else to say anything in the thread. Happy holidays.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I had more free time than I expected; surprise, it's another update before the end of the year!

Part 15: Reflect On These Lessons

How's the new mic sound?

I really didn't plan getting this gift, but it sure is a nice coincidence: https://twitter.com/frozentreasure/status/548429647516418050

Oh, and for bonus points: who can tell me exactly what audio effect I used on my voice in a certain part of the video?

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 28, 2014

• Locked thread