Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
If you can't appreciate GATE then you're probably too busy crying into your tie-dye shirts over Bernie Sanders losing to articulate your complaints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

It's kind of funny to see a competent SDF since they are a bunch of terrible jobbers in pretty much all Japanese media I see.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

And they only needed to use helicopter gunships and main battle tanks against medieval infantry to do it.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

AirborneNinja posted:

And they only needed to use helicopter gunships and main battle tanks against medieval infantry to do it.
To be honest, I'd say hovering an AH1 within throwing distance of anything before pulling the trigger might be considered pretty loving negligent.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Didn't that Cobra also use a TOW on a wooden ballista?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Now I'm seeing where the right wing stuff is kicking in. The whole world wants a piece of japan's catgirl pie.

[e] I'm no geopolitican but with japan being in the UN wouldn't a bunch of counties have a legitimate reason to send teams to investigate a whole other world? I don't think you can go "naw dog, this portal and literally every thing in it is ours forever" without the entire world cutting you off. You can't Bogart all the elves japan.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

DrManiac posted:

Now I'm seeing where the right wing stuff is kicking in. The whole world wants a piece of japan's catgirl pie.

[e] I'm no geopolitican but with japan being in the UN wouldn't a bunch of counties have a legitimate reason to send teams to investigate a whole other world? I don't think you can go "naw dog, this portal and literally every thing in it is ours forever" without the entire world cutting you off. You can't Bogart all the elves japan.

Gate: Japan Stockpiles Bunnygirl Butts

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Gate: Japan Stockpiles Bunnygirl Butts

I want to write a sequel set in America where we get a gate to a sci-fi world filled with different colored ladies and japan doesn't get any.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

DrManiac posted:

don't

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

I was gonna write up a serious reply, but I think this is a better idea.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Nipponophile posted:

I was gonna write up a serious reply, but I think this is a better idea.

I'd like to read that reply.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

drilldo squirt posted:

I'd like to read that reply.

me too

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

So, was that soldier getting hit by an arrow the first japanese casualty in this war or what?

It's a shame, because they are not really fighting a medieval army; they are fighting a medieval fantasy army. Having weaponized magic on the empire's side would have leveled the playing field, but the show refuses to be interesting.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Kinda sad to see Pina reduced to a damsel in distress for Itami to rescue. :sigh:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

jng2058 posted:

Kinda sad to see Pina reduced to a damsel in distress for Itami to rescue. :sigh:

You can't possibly be surprised

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Rodyle posted:

You can't possibly be surprised

Well, no, but I was hoping they'd impress me. They did not.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I would like a series revolving around small CQC girl just punching and shooting people

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I am so glad that I watched Gate: Thus the JSDF Fought There!: The Anime so that I could experience with my own eyes those faux-romans getting totally owned by superior modern technology and superior magic and superior having a loving demigod on your side. Hopefully that was just an anime original ending so that I can keep getting low-effort anachronistic poo poo delivered straight into my gaping mouth.

Falken posted:

I would like a series revolving around small CQC girl just punching and shooting people

:hfive:

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I wonder how much the prince paid for that ogre.

Okay, the series is over for the time being. Please shut the thread down again so we don't have to watch a bunch of people pretend that they're too good for the show they won't stop watching.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Command Ant posted:

Okay, the series is over for the time being. Please shut the thread down again so we don't have to watch a bunch of people pretend that they're too good for the show they won't stop watching.

Whoa whoa whoa, hey now, just because GATE is abhorrent trash, that doesn't mean I'm too good for it

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Rexides posted:

I am so glad that I watched Gate: Thus the JSDF Fought There!: The Anime so that I could experience with my own eyes those faux-romans getting totally owned by superior modern technology and superior magic and superior having a loving demigod on your side. Hopefully that was just an anime original ending so that I can keep getting low-effort anachronistic poo poo delivered straight into my gaping mouth.

There's 5 novels and my limited knowledge of them suggests that the anime has only covered 3.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

wow, it reads like a 4koma.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
Before we close it, I'd like you to all know that I think the choreography of the throne room fight was bad.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Falken posted:

:agreed:

Rexides posted:

Hopefully that was just an anime original ending so that I can keep getting low-effort anachronistic poo poo delivered straight into my gaping mouth.

Rodyle posted:

There's 5 novels and my limited knowledge of them suggests that the anime has only covered 3.

There's also like 5 more gaiden novels and a new series of books coming out later this year which this anime was made to promote. No word yet on a second season though.

Apparently, according to the /a/ Gate threads, a large chunk of the second half of the episode was anime original poo poo, and they're blaming A1 Pictures for rushing the ending and leaving out a ton of details and poo poo.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Adelheid posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, hey now, just because GATE is abhorrent trash, that doesn't mean I'm too good for it

Yeah. I dunno why Command Ant has to make it personal, but my own failings in no way lessen GATE's.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Actually, holding a critical opinion of GATE is my single redeeming quality as literal human trash.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Just because we're all literal trash that watches literal garbage doesn't mean we can't have an opinion on the flavor of our garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The ironic self-deprecation levels in this thread have grown too strong.

See you, space cowboys.

• Locked thread