Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

scandinavia.jpg

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Top City Homo posted:

still trying to figure out the difference between norway sweden finland, estonia, denmark netherlands and belgium

Norway, Sweden and to a lesser extent, Denmark - The Real Scandinavia

The rest - Garbage

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Sweden used to own Finland back in the good old days. We used to own Norway too, but we gave it back. Norway turned out alright but Finland... Well, Finland lost her way

Anyway, Scandinavia should join hands and become a united states of scandinavia

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I hope you guys wanted to learn this information:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
the word bear on that map shows us just how close culturally Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Iceland is, while Finland is just in another ballpark altogether

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
stockholm already is the capital of scandinavia

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
:smug:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Are fins slavs?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
:sweden::sweden:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

quote:

Is it true? Yes. The Swedish police recorded the highest number of sexual offences - about 63 per 100,000 inhabitants - of any force in Europe, in 2010. The second-highest in the world.

This was three times higher than the number of cases in the same year in Sweden's next-door neighbour, Norway, and twice the rate in the United States and the UK. It was more than 30 times the number in India, which recorded about two offences per 100,000 people.

On the face of it, it would seem Sweden is a much more dangerous place than these other countries.

But that is a misconception, according to Klara Selin, a sociologist at the National Council for Crime Prevention in Stockholm. She says you cannot compare countries' records, because police procedures and legal definitions vary widely.

"In Sweden there has been this ambition explicitly to record every case of sexual violence separately, to make it visible in the statistics," she says.

"So, for instance, when a woman comes to the police and she says my husband or my fiance raped me almost every day during the last year, the police have to record each of these events, which might be more than 300 events. In many other countries it would just be one record - one victim, one type of crime, one record."

The thing is, the number of reported rapes has been going up in Sweden - it's almost trebled in just the last seven years. In 2003, about 2,200 offences were reported by the police, compared to nearly 6,000 in 2010.

But Klara Selin says the statistics don't represent a major crime epidemic, rather a shift in attitudes. The public debate about this sort of crime in Sweden over the past two decades has had the effect of raising awareness, she says, and encouraging women to go to the police if they have been attacked.

Still, I choose to believe the viking raper spirit still lives in all swedes

• Locked thread