Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

SedanChair posted:

He said play jazz, not haltingly make your way through the head of a few popular tunes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alv7N6Ynm1Y

This is a man on the stage with every drat jazz musician worth a drat ever.

And they made him play.

He did all right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So, Jessie Jackson's other son is back in town. Wonder if someone has their eyes on a Senate seat, or is willing to settle for Congress.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
A Cassidy internal poll (the most reliable kind) has Landrieu down 56-40 in the runoff. Cassidy has been promised a seat on the Energy committee if he wins and Landrieu is trying to push through a bill with her name on it to approve the Keystone pipeline in the lame duck session.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Landrieu would be the ranking member on the Energy commitee should she win (she won't). The two of them are basically indistinguishable.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CubsWoo posted:

A Cassidy internal poll (the most reliable kind) has Landrieu down 56-40 in the runoff. Cassidy has been promised a seat on the Energy committee if he wins and Landrieu is trying to push through a bill with her name on it to approve the Keystone pipeline in the lame duck session.

The democrats are also pretty much openly saying Landrieu has no viable path to victory.

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012
Tammy Duckworth (and her people) are starting to feel out a run against Mark Kirk in 2016. Also a nice little mention of Durbin's future at the end.

quote:

Rep. Tammy Duckworth, D-Ill., is interested in a 2016 Senate run against Sen. Mark Kirk, R-Ill., but for now is focused on the impending birth of her daughter, who is due any day.

A member of Duckworth’s team — who is familiar with how Duckworth is approaching the possibility of a 2016 run — confirmed that Duckworth is “interested, open and curious” about a Senate bid and is receptive to having conversations about the race.

Duckworth is putting off looking at the race more seriously until she has her baby and knows everyone is healthy. Duckworth announced she was pregnant on Labor Day.

Sen. Dick Durbin, D-Ill., who turns 70 on Nov. 21, is Duckworth’s political godfather. I figure this may be his last term. If Duckworth takes a 2016 pass, in six years she is Durbin’s heir apparent.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

She'll pass. No woman in her right mind is going to run for public office with a two year old.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Ehh, lots of pols are helicopter parents, her running wouldn't surprise me. This isn't like Gabby Giffords where she physically was not capable of running due to her not-yet complete recovery, Tammy Duckworth is just a nanny away from never having to deal with the kid.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Nameless_Steve posted:

Highly popular governor Jay Nixon (D-Missouri) is term limited in 2016. If he runs for Senate, he will almost certainly crush unpopular incumbent Roy Blunt (R), whose approval rating was at 37/36 (+1) in 2012.
Harry Reid has survived very low approval ratings for several terms. If he pulls one out again, good for him. If he loses, Dems will find someone better. It's win-win, unless Republicans retain the Senate.

Yeah, Nixon's kinda got a massive millstone called "Ferguson" around his neck. So much so that black Dems from NoCO allied themselves around the GOP candidate for STL County Exec (who lost, but it's going to a recount so who knows) in the recent elections because at least he promised to do something about getting justice for Mike Brown, and he's already had a diss track written about him by one of the main protest leaders that takes him to task (it's available here: https://soundcloud.com/tef-poe/war-cry-produced-by-dj-smitty-jay-nixon-diss-record).

So, despite the fact that Missouri has a fairly deep Dem bench (the AG and SoS are both Dems who won with popular programs like "justice for all" and "let everyone, including soldiers like myself, vote" respectively, if Nixon runs it might be an own-goal of Andres Escobar proportions.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Warcabbit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alv7N6Ynm1Y

This is a man on the stage with every drat jazz musician worth a drat ever.

And they made him play.

He did all right.

Look at that man schmooze holy poo poo it's beautiful.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

"There are fair questions about shooting non-lethally at retreating civilian combatants."

Troy Queef posted:

Yeah, Nixon's kinda got a massive millstone called "Ferguson" around his neck. So much so that black Dems from NoCO allied themselves around the GOP candidate for STL County Exec (who lost, but it's going to a recount so who knows) in the recent elections because at least he promised to do something about getting justice for Mike Brown, and he's already had a diss track written about him by one of the main protest leaders that takes him to task (it's available here: https://soundcloud.com/tef-poe/war-cry-produced-by-dj-smitty-jay-nixon-diss-record).

So, despite the fact that Missouri has a fairly deep Dem bench (the AG and SoS are both Dems who won with popular programs like "justice for all" and "let everyone, including soldiers like myself, vote" respectively, if Nixon runs it might be an own-goal of Andres Escobar proportions.

Ah, yes, the well-worn double-edged sword of campaign promises that obviously violate separation of powers. In this case, a promise to prevent the massive impending failure of the judicial branch.
I don't know much about Missouri state law, regarding the relationship between the governor's mansion and local law enforcement, but would a call from the governor get a killer cop fired directly or indirectly? What could and should Nixon have done, realistically?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Nameless_Steve posted:

Ah, yes, the well-worn double-edged sword of campaign promises that obviously violate separation of powers. In this case, a promise to prevent the massive impending failure of the judicial branch.
I don't know much about Missouri state law, regarding the relationship between the governor's mansion and local law enforcement, but would a call from the governor get a killer cop fired directly or indirectly? What could and should Nixon have done, realistically?

Not called in the National Guard, during the state of emergency he declared pulled the STL County prosecutor and appointed a special prosecutor, barred use of teargas/milsurp vehicles, actually go to Ferguson and speak with protest leaders quicker than he did, and so forth.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

"There are fair questions about shooting non-lethally at retreating civilian combatants."
You mean an elected Democrat asked himself the question "how will doing the right thing be misinterpreted by racist morons?" and bumbled and missed the opportunity?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Antti posted:

I'm sad John Quincy Adamsing it up didn't become a trend. Nowadays the speaking circuit is too much money to resist.

Jimmy Cartering is an acceptable alternative to be sure.

Edit: Of course in the fifty years you've had mitigating circumstances: JFK got shot; LBJ had had enough of everything and Vietnam was a disaster; Nixon managed to slowly rehabilitate himself but could never run for office again; Reagan had no mind left while still in office...

Clinton could have done it.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

sugar free jazz posted:

Look at that man schmooze holy poo poo it's beautiful.

4 more years!

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

Imagine if Clinton had FDR'd and been reelected President for the rest of his life. The country would be in a much better place, and would have stopped caring after the ninth or tenth intern he had sexual relations with.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Nameless_Steve posted:

Imagine if Clinton had FDR'd and been reelected President for the rest of his life. The country would be in a much better place, and would have stopped caring after the ninth or tenth intern he had sexual relations with.

People didn't even care the first time, Clinton's approval rating peaked during the Lewinsky scandal.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Amused to Death posted:

People didn't even care the first time, Clinton's approval rating peaked during the Lewinsky scandal.

At the peak of the tech bubble he could have come out as a Satanist and not taken a hit to his approval.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Nameless_Steve posted:

2008 still would have happened and we'd either be in McCain's 2nd term or Obama's first. Maybe Iraq doesn't happen, but I'm not sure what other history-changing events would have been prevented. If we got health care reform, it probably ends up looking the same. Or it doesn't happen at all if Clinton never wins back the house there's a GOP president. Then again, maybe the GOP doesn't move so far right and wins with the 2000 McCain rather than 2008's version?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Beyond Iraq, I don't know what would be that different (I guess you could say Syria was influenced by Iraq, but it very well most likely would have happened). Clinton's attitudes toward financial regulation was pretty much the same as the GOP anyway.

Yeah and we would have ended up with Gay marriage and some version of the ACA anyway. We would still also be fighting brush fires in the Middle East, and relations with Russia would have still been frigid.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

De Nomolos posted:

2008 still would have happened and we'd either be in McCain's 2nd term or Obama's first. Maybe Iraq doesn't happen, but I'm not sure what other history-changing events would have been prevented. If we got health care reform, it probably ends up looking the same. Or it doesn't happen at all if Clinton never wins back the house there's a GOP president. Then again, maybe the GOP doesn't move so far right and wins with the 2000 McCain rather than 2008's version?

2008 might not have happen. Would Clinton in his third or fourth term allowed all the crazy poo poo bush did that lead to the crash?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pillowpants posted:

2008 might not have happen. Would Clinton in his third or fourth term allowed all the crazy poo poo bush did that lead to the crash?

You really should read up more about financial regulation under Clinton, especially the CFMA and the Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

De Nomolos posted:

Alito and Roberts would have been Democratic appointments instead. That's a lot of change.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Ardennes posted:

Beyond Iraq, I don't know what would be that different (I guess you could say Syria was influenced by Iraq, but it very well most likely would have happened). Clinton's attitudes toward financial regulation was pretty much the same as the GOP anyway.

Yeah and we would have ended up with Gay marriage and some version of the ACA anyway. We would still also be fighting brush fires in the Middle East, and relations with Russia would have still been frigid.

Would Clinton have been completely asleep at the wheel though as the housing bubble built up, with no effort to do anything? Would he have let AT&T reform (and other mergers)? Clinton at least had some semblance of anti-trust going. There's also FCC decisions.

We certainly wouldn't have ended up with a massive deficit and debt buildup, since Republicans are always about the balanced budget when they aren't in the white house.

There's also the whole Rehnquist thing - Clinton being able to swing SCOTUS would have been huge and kept the CRA alive among other things.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pervis posted:

Would he have let AT&T reform (and other mergers)?

This hasn't happened, you realize that right? When you're making hypotheticals it's best not to predicate them on a things that haven't happened in our reality.

Pervis posted:

There's also FCC decisions.

Communications regulations in the Bush II and Obama administrations have been following the same lines as Clinton administration regulations did.

Nintendo Kid has issued a correction as of 20:15 on Nov 16, 2014

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pervis posted:

Would Clinton have been completely asleep at the wheel though as the housing bubble built up, with no effort to do anything? Would he have let AT&T reform (and other mergers)? Clinton at least had some semblance of anti-trust going. There's also FCC decisions.

We certainly wouldn't have ended up with a massive deficit and debt buildup, since Republicans are always about the balanced budget when they aren't in the white house.

There's also the whole Rehnquist thing - Clinton being able to swing SCOTUS would have been huge and kept the CRA alive among other things.

I doubt Clinton would have done much to stop them especially as he got use to being in office, and Clinton regulation of the FCC wasn't that different.

You know Clinton got a balanced budget from constrained spending right? We would have a lower debt level...and thats about it. If anything I wouldn't have been surprised if Clinton ultimately would have cut more than Bush did over the years.
(The US debt level even right now isn't an issue)

The Supreme Court is pretty much the last defense of any Democratic president, yeah he would have but beyond Iraq that might have been the most major difference.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

De Nomolos posted:

I honestly believe 9/11 wouldn't have happened. Bush received "Bin Laden determined to strike in the US" and thought it was routine; Clinton would have had the hindsight to know it was not.

Even if 9/11 had occurred under a Democrat, there would have been no Iraq War and no Bush tax cuts, so by the time the housing and financial bubbles popped, there wouldn't have been a deficit and the national debt would have been much lower. The Recession would have been much easier to fix with a budget surplus going into it.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Nameless_Steve posted:

Even if 9/11 had occurred under a Democrat, there would have been no Iraq War and no Bush tax cuts, so by the time the housing and financial bubbles popped, there wouldn't have been a deficit and the national debt would have been much lower. The Recession would have been much easier to fix with a budget surplus going into it.

In any real sense budget deficit wasn't the primary factor holding back stimulus though and who knows what the optics would have looked like after a 16 year Clinton presidency that ended into a second recession.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Gyges posted:

Alito and Roberts would have been Democratic appointments instead. That's a lot of change.

Maybe O'Connor stays on, but the replacement for Rehnquist is a big deal. Forgot about that.

There's no proof that the Clinton regulatory regimen would have been any different. His record tells me it would have been pretty similar.

9/11 might have been different, but aside from that summer 2001 notice maybe being treated differently, I doubt terrorist cells would have behaved differently. This was in the works long before 2001.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Nintendo Kid posted:

This hasn't happened, you realize that right? When you're making hypotheticals it's best not to predicate them on a things that haven't happened in our reality.

Communications regulations in the Bush II and Obama administrations have been following the same lines as Clinton administration regulations did.

Sorry, SBC buying up most of the other baby bells and the remnants of AT&T, as well as other mergers back in to a handful of companies. It's not a hypothetical that it largely hosed up the telco world and anyone who does business with them (suppliers, companies engaging in telco services) as it greatly reduced whatever competition was there previously. End-user services may not have been visibly hosed up, but it's a world of difference attempting to sell services or equipment to a variety of variably-sized companies and then suddenly only have 2 or 3 that have 90%+ of the market, all very large.

I'm not sure if the Clinton FCC would have eventually let key portions of the Telecommunications act of 1996 get effectively overturned leading to a fairly large reduction in CLEC options, but I highly doubt that he would've suddenly up and decided that warrant-less wiretapping was OK, either.

Ardennes posted:

I doubt Clinton would have done much to stop them especially as he got use to being in office, and Clinton regulation of the FCC wasn't that different.

You know Clinton got a balanced budget from constrained spending right? We would have a lower debt level...and thats about it. If anything I wouldn't have been surprised if Clinton ultimately would have cut more than Bush did over the years.
(The US debt level even right now isn't an issue)

The Supreme Court is pretty much the last defense of any Democratic president, yeah he would have but beyond Iraq that might have been the most major difference.

I know why he had the balanced budget, but there's something to be said about not dumping 500B/year in to interest payments in the middle of a near-depression while having the "responsible party" bitch about the debt, and have that actually have traction. I don't particularly care about the debt itself, but it's ridiculous that as a country we were fine with spending like drunken sailors during relatively OK years and suddenly now have to balance the budget because of some debt figure. The debt itself is a lever to kill off actual useful policy like food stamps, unemployment, R&D, etc, to a degree that seems appalling.

The other notable difference AFAIK was the faith-based initiatives and general use of graduates from some of the crazier religious colleges.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pervis posted:

Sorry, SBC buying up most of the other baby bells and the remnants of AT&T, as well as other mergers back in to a handful of companies. It's not a hypothetical that it largely hosed up the telco world and anyone who does business with them (suppliers, companies engaging in telco services) as it greatly reduced whatever competition was there previously. End-user services may not have been visibly hosed up, but it's a world of difference attempting to sell services or equipment to a variety of variably-sized companies and then suddenly only have 2 or 3 that have 90%+ of the market, all very large.

I'm not sure if the Clinton FCC would have eventually let key portions of the Telecommunications act of 1996 get effectively overturned leading to a fairly large reduction in CLEC options, but I highly doubt that he would've suddenly up and decided that warrant-less wiretapping was OK, either.

After the breakup there were 7 Baby Bells. Today there are 4 big time landline providers (AT&T, Verizon, CenturyLink, Frontier) and 4 major mobile providers (Verizon Wireless, AT&T Wireless, Sprint (non baby bell), T-Mobile (very not baby bell)). Effectively, we have 6 indpendent major phone companies as compared to the initial 7. You know dude we started with a handful of companies to begin with, and we have a handful now, and further we have significant portions of the actual telephone market owned by companies almost entirely derived from non-former-Baby-Bell parents. None of these companies hold more than about 40% share in landlines (it's probably less, since both Verizon and AT&T have sold off assloads of areas and lines to Frontier and others for being low-profit), and none of these companies holds more than 35% of mobile share. Hell just recently Verizon sold nearly all of its landline business in West Virginia to Frontier! And in 2013, both AT&T and Verizon high ups were quoted as saying they wanted to remove the copper landline business from themselves by about 2025, all by moving people over to fiber and fiber-lite services like FIOS and U-Verse, or simply selling off true copper landline areas to other companies.

Furthermore, the Baby Bells never competed in a meaningful way as their own selves. You didn't have much of an option to get NYNEX service in Pennslyvania, or BellSouth service in Illinois, or USWest service in Texas. Let's be frank: the AT&T breakup was all a big scam as far as "competition" goes. It was Reagan era "competition" where seven companies got to be near absolute monopolies on a regional basis while also being free to sell off unprofitable areas and lines to suckers who'd pay for them. A facade of competition that masked ongoing corporate profits and ability to gently caress over consumers.

No parts of the Telecommunications Act of 1996 have been effectively overturned, at least not when you consider Clinton-era precedent. Also, Clinton's NSA et al were undoubtedly wiretapping phones and monitoring the internet, we know they were from various Snowden leaks as well as prior existing information!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pervis posted:

I know why he had the balanced budget, but there's something to be said about not dumping 500B/year in to interest payments in the middle of a near-depression while having the "responsible party" bitch about the debt, and have that actually have traction. I don't particularly care about the debt itself, but it's ridiculous that as a country we were fine with spending like drunken sailors during relatively OK years and suddenly now have to balance the budget because of some debt figure. The debt itself is a lever to kill off actual useful policy like food stamps, unemployment, R&D, etc, to a degree that seems appalling.

The other notable difference AFAIK was the faith-based initiatives and general use of graduates from some of the crazier religious colleges.

That is the issue though, I never bought that Clinton was constrained by the GOP, rather he was doing what he wanted for the most part. Remember back at the 2012 when Clinton gave that speech at the convention about how much he was still proud about gutting welfare?

Even if the GOP were to blame, I doubt they would change their mind with a stable budget. Our budget right now is rapidly stabilizing and the rhetoric really hasn't fundamentally shifted.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ardennes posted:

That is the issue though, I never bought that Clinton was constrained by the GOP, rather he was doing what he wanted for the most part. Remember back at the 2012 when Clinton gave that speech at the convention about how much he was still proud about gutting welfare?

Even if the GOP were to blame, I doubt they would change their mind with a stable budget. Our budget right now is rapidly stabilizing and the rhetoric really hasn't fundamentally shifted.

Clinton had exactly one big issue where he was constrained by Republicans and half of his own party, and that was gay rights.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Nintendo Kid posted:

After the breakup there were 7 Baby Bells. Today there are 4 big time landline providers (AT&T, Verizon, CenturyLink, Frontier) and 4 major mobile providers (Verizon Wireless, AT&T Wireless, Sprint (non baby bell), T-Mobile (very not baby bell)). Effectively, we have 6 indpendent major phone companies as compared to the initial 7. You know dude we started with a handful of companies to begin with, and we have a handful now, and further we have significant portions of the actual telephone market owned by companies almost entirely derived from non-former-Baby-Bell parents. None of these companies hold more than about 40% share in landlines (it's probably less, since both Verizon and AT&T have sold off assloads of areas and lines to Frontier and others for being low-profit), and none of these companies holds more than 35% of mobile share. Hell just recently Verizon sold nearly all of its landline business in West Virginia to Frontier! And in 2013, both AT&T and Verizon high ups were quoted as saying they wanted to remove the copper landline business from themselves by about 2025, all by moving people over to fiber and fiber-lite services like FIOS and U-Verse, or simply selling off true copper landline areas to other companies.

Furthermore, the Baby Bells never competed in a meaningful way as their own selves. You didn't have much of an option to get NYNEX service in Pennslyvania, or BellSouth service in Illinois, or USWest service in Texas. Let's be frank: the AT&T breakup was all a big scam as far as "competition" goes. It was Reagan era "competition" where seven companies got to be near absolute monopolies on a regional basis while also being free to sell off unprofitable areas and lines to suckers who'd pay for them. A facade of competition that masked ongoing corporate profits and ability to gently caress over consumers.

They didn't compete on the consumer side directly, but they did to an extent on the supplier/business side. Old landline/copper is fairly low profit margin, highly regulated, and has high capital expenditures, so yeah they're moving off of it and focusing on their markets that have higher margins and less regulation. Oddly enough I actually had good experience from Frontier, who bought up my local rural telco monopoly (one of those cheap areas cast off from pacbell).

Graphic wise, I'm thinking of this: http://subjunctive.net/klog/2008/12/graphical_history_of/ Some of it was the telco bubble, obviously.

quote:

No parts of the Telecommunications Act of 1996 have been effectively overturned, at least not when you consider Clinton-era precedent. Also, Clinton's NSA et al were undoubtedly wiretapping phones and monitoring the internet, we know they were from various Snowden leaks as well as prior existing information!

The CLEC leasing of ILEC equipment at reasonable costs in particular http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Competitive_local_exchange_carrier

quote:

In December 2004, the FCC released another set of rules which phase out, over a year, all CLEC leasing of ILEC local switching, while preserving access to most copper local loops and some interoffice facilities.

The NSA was or has been always up to.. something. The Patriot Act was almost certainly taking a mix of Law Enforcement wishlists and then-current grey/black area practices and legalizing them, so yeah Clinton (and all the way back to Reagan, at a minimum) would have continued what was already there. Warrant-less wiretapping took what the NSA was doing and pushed it down to being available to other agencies, directly, rather than having some sort of sharing or "anonymous tip", and without the warrant paper trail that existing law dictated. It's never been clear exactly what the justification of the program was, or the actual intention, or why judicial oversight was such a burden.

The other programs, especially the ones related to economic espionage, would have continued obviously. I'd bet we've been doing that forever.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pervis posted:

They didn't compete on the consumer side directly, but they did to an extent on the supplier/business side. Old landline/copper is fairly low profit margin, highly regulated, and has high capital expenditures, so yeah they're moving off of it and focusing on their markets that have higher margins and less regulation. Oddly enough I actually had good experience from Frontier, who bought up my local rural telco monopoly (one of those cheap areas cast off from pacbell).

Graphic wise, I'm thinking of this: http://subjunctive.net/klog/2008/12/graphical_history_of/ Some of it was the telco bubble, obviously.

Yes there was minimal competition for businesses, but it was again, minimal. Throughout the history since the breakup, nearly everyone stuck with their designated regional monopoly provider

And what I'm telling you is that graphic essentially lies. It completely ignores all of the ongoing sell-off of quite massive amounts of lines to other companies, and tries to overstate things further by displaying just baby-bell derived end point mobile carriers while ignoring non baby bell derived end companies and Frontier's purchases of landlines in particular.

It also tries to imply AT&T and AT&T wireless are way bigger than they really are (somewhere south of 40% of landlines even when the graphic was made, and also under 30% of wireless when the graphic was made). Particularly egregious is how it breaks out the subdivisions of Ameritech for no reason only to portray it as if they then were remerged. It doesn't do this with say BellAtlantic's former subsidiaries, or NYNEX's or any other ones except for three divisions of USWEST that immediately display as remerged (again, why? they weren't independent at all!).

An accurate version of that graphic would have displayed everyone that wasn't built from a Baby Bell and wouldn't provide needless clutter from arbitrarily pointing out a business had 7 subsidiaries or whatever. It's crap as it is.

Pervis posted:

The CLEC leasing of ILEC equipment at reasonable costs in particular http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Competitive_local_exchange_carrier

The NSA was or has been always up to.. something. The Patriot Act was almost certainly taking a mix of Law Enforcement wishlists and then-current grey/black area practices and legalizing them, so yeah Clinton (and all the way back to Reagan, at a minimum) would have continued what was already there. Warrant-less wiretapping took what the NSA was doing and pushed it down to being available to other agencies, directly, rather than having some sort of sharing or "anonymous tip", and without the warrant paper trail that existing law dictated. It's never been clear exactly what the justification of the program was, or the actual intention, or why judicial oversight was such a burden.

The other programs, especially the ones related to economic espionage, would have continued obviously. I'd bet we've been doing that forever.

But that's under Clinton-era telecommunications guidance itself.

And yeah about the only thing Bush did with that was make it slightly more public.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

De Nomolos posted:

Maybe O'Connor stays on, but the replacement for Rehnquist is a big deal. Forgot about that.

Even if O'Connor stays on, my understanding is that's a big deal when compared with Alito.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I put together a little graph that shines a bit of light on the 2012 elections:

There are three Senate classes, which each get elected each six years. But because every other one of these is a Presidential election, which changes turnout, senate elections basically follow a 12-year cycle. Years that Class 2 Senators get reelected in a mid-term election have the lowest turnout. (That is the election that we just saw, and that we saw previously in 2002). When Class 1 and Class 3 Senators have elections in a presidential election year, those are the years with the highest turnout. 2016 will be Class 3 in an election year, something we last saw in 2004 and 1992, and something which has had big Democratic margins.

Of course, a lot of those margins are in New York and California, but I still think that the pattern means it will be a good year for Democrats.

Edit: notice and gnash your teeth at how a 10,000,000 vote popular margin for Democrats in 2012 translated into a 2 seat gain, while a 1,000,000 vote popular margin for Republicans in 2014 translated into an eight seat gain.

glowing-fish has issued a correction as of 22:13 on Nov 16, 2014

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

There's more to the impact of a president than just legislative policy changes. Even if there wouldn't be much change in legislation were Clinton to have stayed on in 2000, the extent of the 2008 crash may have been mitigated. Bush packed a lot of senior positions with vaguely qualified people mostly chosen on conservative credentials. People in an agency take direction from the top, and if the person running the show relates to people who may not even want the agency to exist there will be a difference in morale. And it wasn't just at the cabinet level where you would expect political appointees, remember the whole thing about the DOJ pushing out lawyers based on politics?

Would the financial crash have been as bad if some of the outright fraud that contributed to the resulting mess was prosecuted on some level? What about more IRS or SEC enforcement? Who knows, and certainly addressing the underlying fundamental issues was never on the table, but the degree may not have been the same.

On top of that, the tax cuts from early in W's first term cost a solid trillion and a half. I don't think anything Clinton would have signed anything on that scale. Those cuts were also very top-heavy, and the resulting redistribution of income up only destabilized the economy further - needing a Democratic signature on the bill would have resulted in something that looked very different. Having that additional borrowing capacity going into the financial crash would have allowed for a stronger stimulus and less austerity. Just because the broad strokes are more or less the same doesn't make the two parties equivalent.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

glowing-fish posted:

I put together a little graph that shines a bit of light on the 2012 elections:

There are three Senate classes, which each get elected each six years. But because every other one of these is a Presidential election, which changes turnout, senate elections basically follow a 12-year cycle. Years that Class 2 Senators get reelected in a mid-term election have the lowest turnout. (That is the election that we just saw, and that we saw previously in 2002). When Class 1 and Class 3 Senators have elections in a presidential election year, those are the years with the highest turnout. 2016 will be Class 3 in an election year, something we last saw in 2004 and 1992, and something which has had big Democratic margins.

Of course, a lot of those margins are in New York and California, but I still think that the pattern means it will be a good year for Democrats.

Edit: notice and gnash your teeth at how a 10,000,000 vote popular margin for Democrats in 2012 translated into a 2 seat gain, while a 1,000,000 vote popular margin for Republicans in 2014 translated into an eight seat gain.

How much of the turnout difference between Class 1/3 and Class 2 comes from NY and CA? Is there a significant difference in turnout as a fraction of population?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

James Garfield posted:

How much of the turnout difference between Class 1/3 and Class 2 comes from NY and CA? Is there a significant difference in turnout as a fraction of population?

Just checking for the most recent year where California and New York voted, they were together responsible for 6 million of the 11 million Democratic popular vote margin.

But in 2012, Florida had a million vote margin for the Democratic candidate. Pennsylvania had a half million vote margin, Ohio had 350,000 and Wisconsin had a little bit below 200,000. In 2008, the which was the last year that Illinois had a senatorial race during a presidential election year, Dick Durbin won by a 2 million vote margin in Illinois.

Of course, people don't always vote by party, candidate quality and incumbency still do matter. But in the last presidential election year in Illinois, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, New Hampshire and Wisconsin,the Democratic senatorial candidates performed the same way that the president did there.

• Locked thread