Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Tobermory posted:

Also when he compared homosexuals to murderers. Or when he explained that gay marriage is a Marxist conspiracy to impose the New World Order. Or when he said that Obama might be guilty of treason. Or when he blamed Ferguson on Women's Lib.

The man is a joke, and I'm glad he's running for office.

A link to some of his classic lines: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/11/15/top-10-quotes-that-prove-neurosurgeon-ben-carson-doesnt-have-the-brain-to-be-president/

quote:

“So if there were a container of contaminated urine, and somehow it managed to find its way to someplace a lot of damage could be done. Someone comes up to a lab worker. He knows he’s got the urine. ‘How would you like to have a million dollars?’ … Such things have been known to happen.”

And here's just from this weekend:

quote:

ossible Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson suggested over the weekend that religion was necessary for testing scientific theories because the science could be “propaganda.”

On Sunday, NBC’s Chuck Todd asked Carson, a former neurosurgeon, how science could coexist with his conservative Christian principles.

“A person’s religious beliefs are the things that make them who they are, gives them a direction in their life,” Carson opined. “But I do not believe that religious beliefs should dictate one’s public policies and stances.”

“I find, a very good measure of correlation between my religious beliefs and my scientific beliefs — people say, how can you be a scientist, how can you be a surgeon if you don’t believe in certain things?” he continued. “Maybe those things aren’t scientific. Maybe it’s just propaganda.”

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/ben-carson-religion-is-needed-to-interpret-science-because-maybe-its-just-propaganda/

He's pretty amazing. Ben Carson being in a primary debate would be basically like setting up a speaker that blares out random WND articles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Karnegal posted:

Looping back to the "how will they go after Hillary" question, there's an interesting article on The Atlantic (http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2015/02/among-the-hillary-haters/384976/) that goes into how various scandals/attacks have affected Hillary's popularity over the years before turning to examine the attack strategy from the right (it's actually kind of crazy).

It's a long read, but it's also a good sign of how hosed up politics are.

Am I shallow in this being the most interesting piece of the article to me:

quote:

Robert Todd Lincoln gave the painting to his great-great-grandfather Patrick D. Tyrrell for his role in uncovering a crime boss’s plot to steal the president’s corpse and hold it for ransom.

WTF. Off to wikipedia I go!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Catching up on the news this morning, and the email thing is relatively unimportant, but it does solidify my belief in the incompetence of the Hillary Clinton machine. Its been pretty clear up to now anyway, and bring real doubt to her ability to either a) win the 2016 election, and if so b) govern at all effectively.

EDIT: Why is Obama more in front of this than Hillary again?

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 9, 2015

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

There is a difference between a cabinet level position and being the POTUS, relying on popularity and being subjected to a much higher standard of scrutiny and judgement. I'm not saying that she WON'T govern effectively, but there's a pattern present for several decades of circles of confidants shielding and enshrouding Clinton to the her detriment, from Whitewater to the 2008 election.

EDIT: ^^^ I was led to believe there are physical copies of the emails, which were turned over weeks ago.

EDIT 2: Dug up an old article talking about Clinton's State record: http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/139110/michael-hirsh/the-clinton-legacy

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 9, 2015

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Karnegal posted:

I don't know. The dems are doing well to start making women's issues that aren't bogged down by religious bullshit (abortion) into political issues. Obama giving nods to equal pay and childcare are things that Hillary could build on to chip away at the white, female republican vote. I mean, there is a limit to how much the GOP can thumb their noses at women's rights before they start bleeding votes.

Isn't this what Mark Udall tried in Colorodo, and subsequently got creamed?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Delta-Wye posted:

Apparently the Venn diagram between people who would consider voting for Hilary and people who think this is pretty suspect and worth discussing has no overlap. The idea that an elected official could do this and then go 'welp, phones are hard, whatja gonna do?' and get vehemently defended in such absolutist terms boggles my mind.

I would prefer that elected officials use the proper channels for their official communications. This is like corporate world 1st day mandatory training stuff. It looks shady as hell and I wouldn't be happy with someone like Cheney self-censoring what he thought should be turned over after getting asked, no matter how technologically inept he claims to be.

Was listening to All Things Considered yesterday, and they were reporting the results of a State Dept. watchgroup's audit, showing that of the millions of emails sent around government servers. Something like only 61,000 were saved. Crazy numbers. The whole thing is hosed. How do we know what any of these people are doing?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

A pretty interesting article on Hillary's capability:

Hillary isn't running opposed. She's crushing the opposition.

quote:

Bernstein's argument is related to the "invisible primary" theory of presidential elections. Hillary Clinton, he says, "has earned the support of the bulk of Democratic party actors, and gained the acquiescence of other Democrats who aren’t as enthusiastic about her." The result is that the Democratic Party's "perfectly viable other candidates either dropped out or never seriously considered the race."

Perhaps a slightly clearer way to put it is this: in the invisible primary, when the contest is as much a draft as it is a campaign, Clinton is "opposed" by essentially every Democrat fit for the presidency. If the party's powerbrokers didn't want to support Clinton and instead really wanted Sen. Michael Bennet to run, or Gov. Andrew Cuomo to lead the field, they would be working toward that outcome. Instead, they're lining up behind Clinton. In this telling, Clinton isn't winning by default. She's winning by winning. The absence of competition is the product of Clinton's strong, successful campaign to win over Democratic Party elites.

Hillary's strength is evident in public polling, too. Gallup has a useful favorability-familiarity index, the upshot of which is that Clinton is both better known than anyone else in the race and viewed more favorably than almost anyone else in the race (Ben Carson is viewed very favorably too, but as he becomes better known among Democrats, my guess is that his negatives will rise quickly):

http://www.vox.com/2015/3/13/8203605/hillary-clinton-isn-t-running-unopposed-she-s-just-crushing-the

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

From the nytimes profile on Carson posted a few pages back, this caught my eye.

quote:

(When we spoke, he suggested that the government should cut off assistance to would-be unwed mothers, but only after warning them that it would do so within a certain amount of time, say five years. “I bet you’d see a dramatic decrease in unwed motherhood.”)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

JEB is much more conservative than Romney ever was. Don't underestimate him.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

What is it with *young* Republicans and constantly talking about obsessively working out?

Lifting weights sporadically: a destined to fail effort meant only to work on glamour muscles, while being as loud and domineering as possible while being at least ineffective to substantive goals.

Yeah, I don't know why either.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

This is from the article on not rich enough fundraisers Meg posted earlier, and I think this paragraph needs to stand alone:

quote:

But there is a palpable angst among mid-level fundraisers and donors that their rank has been permanently downgraded. One longtime bundler recently fielded a call from a dispirited executive on his yacht, who complained, “We just don’t count anymore.”

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So is there a legal place to bet on the presidential election this season? Just curious, I guess.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

EDIT: ^^^^ A little harsh?

I just answered my own question. Guess I'm being a dumbass today.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Haha, I thought you meant that I would be banned for talking about gambling. Continuing to be a dumbass.

Arkane used Intrade, I think, which was dismantled. All in all, it's just too much risk for too little reward, at least to me.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Joementum posted:

Sean Trende is about as honest an analyst as it gets on the right. Here's his take.

Trende tends to hold that the demographic swing seen in the last two elections was the result of a unique Obama coalition of unusually large minority and youth voters (combined with a mysterious drought of white, middle class voters) that will be difficult to replicate and 2016 will look more like 2004 than 2012. It's possible that he's correct about this and we'll need to wait for the exit polls on election night to find out. It's also possible that he's incorrect and there is a lasting demographic advantage for the Democratic party that will make it impossible for Republicans to win the Presidency without a major ideological shift. Likely, the truth is somewhere.... in the middle.

This is probably the most prudent analysis I've seen in a while of the likelihood of either party controlling all three branches. A higher likelihood of the Presidency held by a Democrat, yes, but the other two branches being held by the other party, even more likely. In essence, this frozen, dysfunctional system of governance we are experiencing is unlikely to change, going past 2020 and more. 2008-2010 was a freak occurance, destined to occur only every several decades or so.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gyges posted:

As long as the Democrats hold the white house for that extended period of time, it's only a matter of time until they control 2 of the 3 branches. Didn't Reed get a whole lot of Obama judges confirmed, somewhat alleviating our backlog of vacancies?

Yes, that session is responsible for 2/3rds of Obama's judicial nominees that were confirmed. The vacancy rate is about 5% currently.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Willie Tomg posted:

HOLY poo poo they use dip-to-white transitions when cutting into a shot of Cruz because you can see the poster frames spazz out in the shadows of Cruz against a dark background, readjusting the chroma compression as the flash algorithm throws up its hands and screams "WHAT THE *gently caress* AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH THIS NOISE? WHAT SHAPE AM I EVEN LOOKING AT. CHRIST!"

The Cruz team literally has prostproduction strategies in place to address the challenges imposed upon them by his radioactive pallor.

This 30 second spot is a masterpiece. I am enjoying this more than I've enjoyed any film in the last three months. I am not making a joke.

He does have the healthy pallor of a corpse in a open casket funeral.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

BI notes that the offices are located next to the Tillary and Clinton intersection.

Yup, my workplace is kind of ground zero on that map. Looks like I'll be the thread's on the ground reporter for the Hillary campaign I guess.

EDIT: BREAKING NEWS Hillary Clinton aide goes to that Starbucks. No, not that one. That one.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Rand Paul is announcing his new seat on the board of directors for Coca-Cola?

Naw what you're thinking of is an Ipod commercial. All that's missing is a U2 song.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dolash posted:

I don't know enough about how Obama rose to defeat Hillary in 2008, particularly how he got his early start. I suppose I'm curious if anyone on the Republican side could have that kind of meteoric ascent that we'd be somehow deaf to due to ideological differences. I sometimes get the impression with the Tea Party/Libertarian candidates that they're hoping to catch that kind of Hope and Change style fire and ride it up and over the establishment.

What would an effective insurgent campaign against Bush look like? At a guess I'd say a narrower field would make a big difference, since then the anti-establishment money and votes could rally around a single candidate faster. Bush might have to deal with Walker, but I'd assume being the establishment choice probably leads a lot more solidifying of support especially since he's importing the entire Bush family network and machine.

Obama is a one in a generation campaigner. But he wasn't exactly anti-establishment. One of the people to initially encourage him as a presidential challenger (that he was already building towards, though) was freaking Harry Reid.

Being liked by the establishment has been a necessary quotient of successful presidential elections since, I don't know, Goldwater? And even then, that assertion can be seen as shaky.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nonsense posted:

Reminder Fiorina is one of the worst CEOs of all time.

Worse than DeLorean.

Reading the wiki article about her, and its hilariously understated.

quote:

Fiorina presented herself as a realist regarding the effects of globalization. She has been a strong proponent, along with other technology executives, of the expansion of the H-1B visa program.[42] In January 2004, at a meeting to "head off rising protectionist sentiment in Congress," Fiorina said: "There is no job that is America's God-given right anymore. We have to compete for jobs as a nation."[43][44][45] While Fiorina argued that the only way to "protect U.S. high-tech jobs over the long haul was to become more competitive [in the United States]," her comments prompted "strong reactions" from some technology workers who argued that lower wages outside the United States encouraged the offshoring of American jobs.[46] Fiorina responded against protectionism in an editorial in the Wall Street Journal, writing that while "America is the most innovative country," it would not remain so if the country were to "run away from the reality of the global economy."[47]

In early January 2005, the Hewlett-Packard board of directors discussed with Fiorina a list of issues that the board had regarding the company's performance.[48] The board proposed a plan to shift her authority to HP division heads, which Fiorina resisted.[49] A week after the meeting, the confidential plan was leaked to the Wall Street Journal.[50] Less than a month later, the board brought back Tom Perkins and forced Fiorina to resign as chair and chief executive officer of the company.[51] The company's stock jumped on news of Fiorina's departure.[52] Under the company's agreement with Fiorina, which was characterized as a golden parachute by Meredith Vieira[53] and TIME magazine[54] and Yahoo![55] she was paid slightly more than $20 million in severance.[56]

Fiorina's tenure at HP has been both criticised and defended. In 2008, InfoWorld grouped her with a list of products and ideas as flops, declaring her tenure as CEO of HP to be to be the the 6th worst tech flop of all-time and characterizing her as the "anti-Steve Jobs" for reversing the goodwill of American engineers and for alienating existing customers.[57] In 2008, Loren Steffy of The New York Times suggested that the EDS acquisition well after Fiorina's tenure was evidence that her actions as CEO were justified.[58] Fiorina has often been ranked as one of the worst tech CEOs of all time.[4][5][6][7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carly_Fiorina#Hewlett-Packard

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

Do these people really still exist? I don't know anything about the South from personal experience, but it seems to me after 40 years they probably don't

Felon beats Obama in West Virginia

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

We can agree this is the greatest thing we've all ever seen, right?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

This surely is the greatest day.

EDIT: I guess some "politics" happened today too

quote:

MONTICELLO, Iowa—Hillary Clinton launched her presidential campaign here Tuesday with aggressive attacks on the financial system as she offered broad strokes of her case for running at her first formal event.

"I think it’s fair to say that if you look across the country, the deck is stacked in favor of those already at the top," she said at a roundtable in an auto tech lab at Kirkwood Community College. "There’s something wrong when CEOs make 300 times more than the American worker … There’s something wrong when American workers keep getting more productive … but that productivity is not matched in their paychecks."

And, the former secretary of state continued, "there’s something wrong when hedge fund managers pay less in taxes than nurses or the truckers I saw on I-80” while driving from New York to Iowa over the past two days

The visit here was her second semi-public stop of the day, after a morning run for chai and conversation at a coffee shop in Le Claire, just north of the Quad Cities. There, she joked about "drink[ing] my way across Iowa," but even more important than those drinks are the conversations she plans to have with intentionally small groups of voters.

Around a U-shaped table, Clinton spent an hour with a handful of high school and college students, a teacher, and the college's president. She listened to their views about education and the economy, asking pointed questions along the way.

But she made more than a few nods to the dozens of members of the media who gathered to see her. "I'm running for president because I think Americans and their families need a champion and I want to be that champion," she said, echoing her comments in Sunday's announcement video.

Clinton said she’s anxious to hear from Americans about what’s important for them and what policies they see working in their own communities, but also that she decided to start with a baseline of "four big fights” she wants to wage:

—To "build the economy of tomorrow not yesterday.”

—To “strengthen families and communities.”

—To “fix our dysfunctional political system and get unaccountable money out of it once and for all – even if that means a constitutional amendment.”

—And to protect the country "from the threats that we see and the ones that are on the horizon."

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...e-fund-managers

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 14, 2015

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

PupsOfWar posted:

John C. Calhoun and Thad Stevens rise from the dead and commence eternal mano-a-mano warfare on the Washington Mall. The Chesapeake area has to be evacuated to prevent collateral damage from the clash of undead titans.

Looking at their pictures, they're exactly the type of guys able to punch their way out of the afterlife.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Would mitt be the least bad republican of the current and likely field?

I kind of like Bush's personality - he actually seems smarter than W.

He is more conservative than his brother.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 18, 2015

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

There's a pretty gross brietbart article talking about Walker's new position and refers to it as fighting back against "racial pandering" and a conscious plan by Democrats to change "demographics" by legal immigration, so at least its out in the open. Feel free to search for it if you want to gag.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DaveWoo posted:

There's also the White House Correspondents' Dinner tomorrow.

Speaking of which, do we normally have a separate thread for that, or are we allowed to do TV IV-style posting in these threads?

Separate thread from going of previous years. I look forward to this and the Values Summit with the glee and anticipation normal people view traditional holidays.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

computer parts posted:

Hillary Clinton would be a better administrator than Bernie Sanders, which is most of what the President does.

I think the last couple of years has been a good argument for that. Real progressive policy seems to be decided on the agency level. And can be rolled back there incredibly easy without the rigors of legislative strictures, as the Bush administration (and in smaller microcosm, conservative states and agencies like Texas' Railroad Commission) has shown.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

computer parts posted:

During his work as a Senator he toed the line but he also literally went and volunteered to go teach poor Mexican kids who couldn't go to college because of their race.

The part in Robert Caro's biography about him bringing electricity to Texas' Hill Country (where he is still wildly popular) I found particularily affecting.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rubentum! Its catching on!

quote:

Based on new Public Policy Polling (PPP) data, Rubio received more support from Iowans than former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, current Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky and Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas. Rubio, however, lost first place to Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin. Walker received 23 percent of the poll about the Republican Party field, while Rubio received 13 percent and 12 percent for Bush. Huckabee accounted for 10 percent as the remaining GOP options received single-digit figures.

Despite Rubio's second place position, PPP noted his standing "reflects his rise nationally." The PPP reported added, "Boding well for him is that beyond being in second place overall, he is also tied with Walker for being the most frequent second choice of voters at 13 percent. That gives him a lot of room to grow if other candidates falter along the way."

When Republican respondents were asked to pick their second GOP candidate choice for president, Rubio tied with Walker at 13 percent for the top position.

http://www.latinpost.com/articles/50674/20150430/2016-presidential-election-polls-marco-rubio-improves-momentum-edges-jeb.htm

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Here's a informative section about Martin O'Malley in this interview of David Simon:

quote:

The drug war began it, certainly, but the stake through the heart of police procedure in Baltimore was Martin O’Malley3. He destroyed police work in some real respects. Whatever was left of it when he took over the police department, if there were two bricks together that were the suggestion of an edifice that you could have called meaningful police work, he found a way to pull them apart. Everyone thinks I’ve got a hard-on for Marty because we battled over “The Wire,” whether it was bad for the city, whether we’d be filming it in Baltimore. But it’s been years, and I mean, that’s over. I shook hands with him on the train last year and we buried it. And, hey, if he's the Democratic nominee, I’m going to end up voting for him. It’s not personal and I admire some of his other stances on the death penalty and gay rights. But to be honest, what happened under his watch as Baltimore’s mayor was that he wanted to be governor. And at a certain point, with the crime rate high and with his promises of a reduced crime rate on the line, he put no faith in real policing.

Originally, early in his tenure, O’Malley brought Ed Norris in as commissioner and Ed knew his business. He’d been a criminal investigator and commander in New York and he knew police work. And so, for a time, real crime suppression and good retroactive investigation was emphasized, and for the Baltimore department, it was kind of like a fat man going on a diet. Just leave the French fries on the plate and you lose the first ten pounds. The initial crime reductions in Baltimore under O’Malley were legit and O’Malley deserved some credit.

But that wasn’t enough. O’Malley needed to show crime reduction stats that were not only improbable, but unsustainable without manipulation. And so there were people from City Hall who walked over Norris and made it clear to the district commanders that crime was going to fall by some astonishing rates. Eventually, Norris got fed up with the interference from City Hall and walked, and then more malleable police commissioners followed, until indeed, the crime rate fell dramatically. On paper.

How? There were two initiatives. First, the department began sweeping the streets of the inner city, taking bodies on ridiculous humbles, mass arrests, sending thousands of people to city jail, hundreds every night, thousands in a month. They actually had police supervisors stationed with printed forms at the city jail – forms that said, essentially, you can go home now if you sign away any liability the city has for false arrest, or you can not sign the form and spend the weekend in jail until you see a court commissioner. And tens of thousands of people signed that form.

“Now, the mass arrests made clear, we can lock up anybody, we don't have to figure out who's committing crimes, we don't have to investigate anything.”

My own crew members [on “The Wire”] used to get picked up trying to come from the set at night. We’d wrap at like one in the morning, and we’d be in the middle of East Baltimore and they’d start to drive home, they’d get pulled over. My first assistant director — Anthony Hemingway — ended up at city jail. No charge. Driving while black, and then trying to explain that he had every right to be where he was, and he ended up on Eager Street4. Charges were non-existent, or were dismissed en masse. Martin O’Malley’s logic was pretty basic: If we clear the streets, they’ll stop shooting at each other. We’ll lower the murder rate because there will be no one on the corners.

The city eventually got sued by the ACLU and had to settle, but O’Malley defends the wholesale denigration of black civil rights to this day. Never mind what it did to your jury pool: now every single person of color in Baltimore knows the police will lie — and that's your jury pool for when you really need them for when you have, say, a felony murder case. But what it taught the police department was that they could go a step beyond the manufactured probable cause, and the drug-free zones and the humbles – the targeting of suspects through less-than-constitutional procedure. Now, the mass arrests made clear, we can lock up anybody, we don't have to figure out who's committing crimes, we don't have to investigate anything, we just gather all the bodies — everybody goes to jail. And yet people were scared enough of crime in those years that O’Malley had his supporters for this policy, council members and community leaders who thought, They’re all just thugs.

But they weren’t. They were anybody who was slow to clear the sidewalk or who stayed seated on their front stoop for too long when an officer tried to roust them. Schoolteachers, Johns Hopkins employees, film crew people, kids, retirees, everybody went to the city jail. If you think I’m exaggerating look it up. It was an amazing performance by the city’s mayor and his administration.

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2015/04/29/david-simon-on-baltimore-s-anguish

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'm really interested to see recent polls regarding Clinton v. Generic Republican in West Virginia.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Most recent poll is from a year ago, but Clinton loses to all Republicans in West Virginia by 9-12 points. The closest she comes to winning is against Cruz, where she loses by 3.

I'm somewhat surprised, in a weirdly non-terrible way.

EDIT:

Naet posted:

I wonder what Jeb thinks about Charles Murray's conclusions about women.

quote:

Women have their own cognitive advantages over men, many of them involving verbal fluency and interpersonal skills. If this were a comprehensive survey, detailing those advantages would take up as much space as I have devoted to a particular male advantage.

That doesn’t really sound male-supremacist, does it?

https://www.aei.org/publication/charles-murray-no-i-dont-think-women-are-genetically-inferior/

This is his defense, a non-ironic separate but equal argument. This man is a clown.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 1, 2015

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Also, the guy even used used for his example the number of Democratic presidencies following a two-timer, in the 19th century. That's just bizaare.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bob Ojeda posted:

Even if we accept your arguments that the 19th century Democratic Party is hugely relevant to the 2016 election - there's only been, like, what, four two-term Democratic Presidents? I make it Jackson, Wilson, FDR, and Clinton. So the Democrats actually won the presidency after a two-term candidate in fully 50% of the elections where that was possible. Literally your argument boils down to 2000 and Warren Harding. And I don't like Warren Harding much either, but that seems like a little too strong of a conclusion to draw from him winning.

You're an idiot.

It's probably meaningful to something, but not really to the presidential primary, I don't think. Dude didn't have a chance anyway.

Using the Republicans in the 19th century would make more sense, considering the similarities in political ideological intensity between now and then, and even regarding their politics. And the Republicans, also due to the incredible rise of political clashes and identity, had a unbroken streak of presidencies for more than 20 years.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Under the vegetable posted:

hosed up how Hillary has a neoconservative foreign policy more enthusiastic about war than rand paul or jeb bush, is inextricably tied to wall street and raises most of her money from the same wealthy donors who support Republicans, has no interest in regulating banking or commerce, and claims the bible is the biggest influence on her thinking.

She supports the bare minimum of social policies necessary to still be considered a democrat though, so I must be crazy.

Supports the Iran deal. Proposed mandatory parental leave and minimum wage increase. Supports Dodd Frank and CFPB.

Yes there really is no light between the candidates.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Good substantive posts. Thanks for contributing.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Probably the pull quote from Carson's genuinely entertaining announcement spectacle:

quote:

We are going to change the government into something that looks more like a well-run business than a Behemoth.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Alter Ego posted:

So Fiorina's just Palin with the ability to speak in complete sentences. Do I have that about right? Completely devoid of accomplishments and useful only as an attack dog?

At least Palin had been elected governor and had some political experience, even though it was woefully inadequate for a national stage. Fiorina doesn't even have that.

Her resume argues differently.

http://interactive.guim.co.uk/embed/2015/05/2015-05-fiorina-resume/index.html?candidate=fiorina

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Glenn Zimmerman posted:

I'm honestly not really sure what Hillary could do to make think President Hillary will not backtrack on most of Candidate Hillary's promises. I mean, she'll probably be more effective then Obama at them, but her record on campaign donations makes me somewhat skeptical of her sincerity.

This whole article is worth reading, but this part is particularily relevant

quote:

he relationship between Senator Elizabeth Warren and Hillary Clinton, the Party’s most likely Presidential nominee, goes back to the second half of the Clinton Administration. Warren told me recently that the most dramatic policy fight of her life was one in which Bill and Hillary Clinton were intimately involved. She recalls it as the “ten-year war.” Between 1995 and 2005, Warren, a professor who had established herself as one of the country’s foremost experts on bankruptcy law, managed to turn an arcane issue of financial regulation into a major political issue.

In the late nineteen-nineties, Congress was trying to pass a bankruptcy bill that Warren felt was written, essentially, by the credit-card industry. For several years, through a growing network of allies in Washington, she helped liberals in Congress fight the bill, but at the end of the Clinton Administration the bill seemed on the verge of passage. Clinton’s economic team was divided, much as Democrats today are split over economic policy. His progressive aides opposed the bill; aides who were more sympathetic to the financial industry supported it. Warren targeted the one person in the White House who she believed could stop the legislation: the First Lady. They met alone for half an hour, and, according to Warren, Hillary stood up and declared, “Well, I’m convinced. It is our job to stop that awful bill. You help me and I’ll help you.” In the Administration’s closing weeks, Hillary persuaded Bill Clinton not to sign the legislation, effectively vetoing it.

In Warren's own words

quote:

This time freshman Senator Hillary Clinton voted in favor of the bill. Had the bill been transformed to get rid of all those awful provisions that had so concerned First Lady Hillary Clinton? No. The bill was essentially the same, but Hillary Rodham Clinton was not. As First Lady, Mrs. Clinton had been persuaded that the bill was bad for families, and she was willing to fight for her beliefs. Her husband was a lame duck at the time he vetoed the bill; he could afford to forgo future campaign contributions. As New York’s newest senator, however, it seems that Hillary Clinton could not afford such a principled position. Campaigns cost money, and that money wasn’t coming from families in financial trouble. Senator Clinton received $140,000 in campaign contributions from banking industry executives in a single year, making her one of the top two recipients in the Senate. Big banks were now part of Senator Clinton’s constituency. She wanted their support, and they wanted hers—including a vote in favor of “that awful bill.”

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/05/04/the-virtual-candidate

• Locked thread