Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Belome posted:

Even if vaccines did have the 1 in 66 chance of causing autism or whatever, is that worse than exposing your kid to a slew of life threatening diseases, especially in a world where a bunch of other people aren't getting vaccinated?

Anti-vaxxers are actually taking advantage of the fact that your child dying, while horrifying, is probably a preferable outcome to some people than being saddled with an autistic child who needs constant care for the rest of your mortal life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Joementum posted:

the right of Hillary

This is just being a non-crazy Republican.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

mandatory lesbian posted:

have you ever heard the phrase "Your poison womb is making heaven too loving crowded"? if not google it, look at the first result, and then realize you are fighting a losing battle

drat, ML shuts down another caremad with a classic gbs line. You go girl!

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
If any democrat had said what Trump did they would have been crucified and the GOP would rally behind the Bush legacy. Only Trump could change the narrative. Thank God for President Trump.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Zwabu posted:

Some of the morning pundit cable TV talkers were commenting that in his most recent appearances Trump seems to be improving his skills, the quality of his answers and presentation from before. Can anyone verify or comment?

Is he... is he... evolving? Becoming stronger?

Trump is Trumping as he always has, but the media needs a reason to explain why they were so wrong about him before. So they pass it off as "Wow, this Trump sure is turning into a real candidate!" Thus their previous "He's not serious" comments are forgiven and they can report on his now crushing lead in the primary.

To be honest I think the real establishment might need to start preparing to cut a deal with the Trump. His tax plan was basically an olive branch in their direction. I think Trump plus (quiet) establishment support could be a real threat to Hillary, who will basically look like a Wall Street stooge next to the iconoclastic Golden God.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

I don't think he ever thought he would win. Probably expected the usual Ron Paul 10% of the vote, but he's flubbed even that.

Yeah the Paul family modus operandi is to make quixotic presidential runs while fleecing libertarian rubes out of donations and merchandise. Trump and Rand have a decent amount of crossover though and Trump stole a large portion of the toy phone's support. So Trump rubbing his victory in Rand's conman face was thoroughly enjoyable.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Ben Carson is Avant Garde as all hell

His schtick would work well for On Cinema or some other adult swim programming.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i caught the beginning of the debate on radio last night. was kasich as close to being in tears as he sounded like?

He was aiming for 'passionate' but came off more like desperate. Basically he realized he had to make a big, bold action to gain any ground so he came out swinging at Trump and Carson. He repeatedly talked about how ridiculous they and their plans are - specifically mentioning the Great Wall of Trump and Carson's HSAs. Unfortunately for him Trump's baleful eye eventually fell on him and he was all but destroyed.

It was a good try though.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

SnakePlissken posted:

Incidentally, I just spoke with a buddy of mine who is kind of liberal-ish, and her impressions of the debate included that the mods really sucked and they did ask some lovely, loaded questions, starting with the lovely leading question of Trump about being a comic book villain. She said she could see why the R team was bitching so much about them.

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't call it "liberal" bias, since if you watched the predebate coverage the CNBC pundits were decrying college kids who they assumed were all voting for Bernie Sanders. But it seemed like a case of "very serious" people trying to bring down the not serious candidates (Trump, Carson) while also trying to get the Republicans to fight each other for ratings. I did find it laughable when Ted Cruz yelled at them and accused them of prompting Kasich to attack the frontrunners when he did that poo poo entirely on his own.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Smoothrich posted:

Hahaha yeah, some of the Graph Art posted in this thread would make a great post-modern political satire exhibit.

Much like................................... Your posts! :smugdog:

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

William Bear posted:

He's definitely most fiscally implausible candidate. Jeb and Rubio's tax plans lead to trillions less debt than Trump's over the next 10 years, plus they don't propose nearly as much spending. Sanders proposes more spending, but also more new taxes.

I don't know if this fact is a weakness for Trump.

It isn't. Trump is the only candidate whose firmly anti-austerity. Bernie comes close but probably would need to raise taxes on more than just rich Americans which isn't going to fly.

It's important to remember that Carter was a pro-austerity president who lost to someone who cut taxes and drove spending way up.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Gregoriev posted:

Reagan raised taxes eleven times.

He implemented a massive tax cut at the beginning of his terms and then slowly rolled it back but never completely undid it.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

GalacticAcid posted:

Teddy was a vicious nationalist who thirsted for eternal war of conquest. His reactionary conceptions of empire coupled with a more vigorous national welfare model put him on par with contemporary conservative leaders like Bismarck.

these are all good things though???

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Shakugan posted:

It sounds like George Bush Sr. very likely won't be around then, and I can't imagine Jeb running when there's no daddy to impress.

Has anyone seen any writeups of Jebs crushing need to impress Gampy? I guess people are avoiding it because it would be "distateful", but Jeb's daddy issues are distinctly unpresidential.

Considering his brother went to war for daddy, I have to imagine that man was a tyrant at home.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I know he's extremely forgettable but I can't believe people are saying the best part of this election so far is anything but Chafee blaming his vote to repeal Glass-Steagall on it being his first day in office.

In all fairness, his dad had just died too. That's a legitimate reason for flubbing a major vote, right?

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
I legitimately do remember the "celebrating Muslims in New Jersey" thing being reported a few times in the immediate chaos that followed 9/11. I also remember reports that there were four more planes in the air waiting to come down and crash, or that every school in Bumfuck, Nowhere had to close due to terrorist threats, or any of the other wacky things people said in those days and weeks of hysteria. The reasonable conclusion is that it was misreported and never happened but eh, Donald Trump.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Cabinet posted:

Rubio will dominate the next debate when he takes Chang on stage and snaps in in half while looking directly into Jeb's eyes.

I fear that doing this to the Spear of Destiny will have apocalyptic repercussions.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

See y'all at the range, 'less ya bringin a Ford huehue :dukedog:

Haha you're the kind of dumb that thinks it's smart.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Powercrazy posted:

America still has extremely obvious problems with sexuality and consent. Maybe some good can come out of the discussion for once?

Modern uptight liberals whining about their rapist hero getting taken to task for it is going to be the best thing about 2016.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Just because the Republicans will lose the presidency, it does not mean they are losing overall.

Why are liberals the world over so politically hopeless?

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

blue squares posted:

Please don't try to make the claim that racism is just a function of economics.

Institutional racism is. Intersectionality is bunk, don't buy into idpol framing.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Jewel Repetition posted:

I still don't think Bill's a rapist but I do think he's a disgusting PoS.

At the very least he's a serial sexual harasser.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

point of return posted:

trump raped his wife

She says he didn't.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Lord of Pie posted:

Hillary was in the slut shaming business before she ever got into politics.

She argued that one of her clients hosed a 12 year old into a coma because the girl was from a broken home and therefore was a dirty slut that wanted it, and the guy only ended up getting a year in the county jail on a lesser charge of "unlawful fondling" or whatever with that defense.

I'm about as anti-Hillary as they come but I think a public defender defending their client is an objectively good thing, period.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Boosted_C5 posted:

Isn't it wonderful waking up everyday and once again realizing we live in the best possible timeline???

It really is. My beltway DC reporter friend was insisting Rubio was a lock and all I could do was shake my head at the poor deluded man.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Schnorkles posted:

Rubio is still probably the favorite for this, but he keeps acting like he doesn't actually want to be the nominee.

A Rubio victory is hard for me to fathom at this point, I think it's Trump or Cruz almost certainly. Rubio does not want to be president now and it shows.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Kennedy's tax bill lowered the top marginal rate from 91% to 70% and the corporate rate from 52% to 48%. I wholeheartedly agree with Ted Cruz that we should return to these values.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

Communists didn't kidnap and force-work 10 million Africans to death.

But they did starve 50 million Chinese and 20 million Ukrainians to death. If we're counting...

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008
Should have gone with "Contra Trump" for a title, IMO.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

TheTatteredKing posted:

Jeb Bush is the personification of the donor class disconnect with the country.

It gives me so much joy to think Bush and his supporters are so completely distant from reality that they really thought Barbara Bush of all people was going to swing things. How incredibly myopic do you have to be for this to be your Hail Mary move?

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Pick posted:

Our low food prices rely on much of our agricultural labor being paid less than the minimum wage for American citizens, hth

I love watching people who think they're liberals argue that we should maintain a semi-permanent racial underclass to provide the wealthy with gardeners and maids.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

stephenfry posted:

You don't post tritely. I'm fascinated. Please go on.

e: sure, white/male fragility is something that only exists within a society with outstanding white/male privileges, so I regrettably omitted limiting my statement to, say, C17th up to present day, but I'm sure you're saying something more meaningful than that

sudden enforcement of consequences where, for their whole lives, there have been none

In a thread full of white folks this is the palest cracker post of them all.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

a cop posted:

There's lots of fragility. Mostly leftist.

Shrieking about white males gives that honkey the hit of righteous indignation he needs.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

The Saurus posted:

I like how you try to attack him for actually being integrated in the global economy meaning he has the know-how to clamp down on corporate inversion and abuse of H1-B visas and illegal immigration to cut wages, but then you say that he's a big dum dum idiot who would cause an immediate catastrophic depression. Which is it?

... A constant shifting of rhetorical focus - oh poo poo the anti-Trumpeters are the real fascists!

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

stoutfish posted:

wouldn't be a problem if you eat the rich

And this is why Bernie should be everyone's number one choice. But if Make It Better doesn't work out then Burn It Down is a decent second option.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

China has imploded and we aren't being invaded by Mexicans. Literally nothing Trump is talking about has any basis in reality and if you nod your head when he talks you are loving nuts.

Now seems like the perfect time to implement common-sense immigration reforms then. Unless you think it will never be an issue ever again. Which seems mega-retarded.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

blablablabla posted:

We all lose with protectionism anyway

What is this NWO globalist bullshit doing here????

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

TheTatteredKing posted:

Deport everyone isn't common sense, which is what is being discussed

Trump's negotiating style is to take the most extreme position as a bargaining tactic. He isn't actually going to deport everyone. He also isn't actually going to have Mexico pay for the wall, except possibly through increased tariffs. Democrats who have abandoned every major plank of their party at the slightest republican objection wouldn't understand this, admittedly.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

American immigration law for a really long time was "If you show up on our door step and are white enough yeah sign here you can come in" and done. This entire country's success has been derived from taking anyone and everyone who could come in. The Chinese built our railroads, immigrants helped the US win the Civil War, and we wouldn't gave gotten the atom bomb had it not been for all the scientist that chose America to flee to.

There is no resource shortage here so there really is no reason to clamp down on immigration. Stopping criminals yeah that's important which is why we are currently doing it

This was during a time where the world was much less globalized and immigration had higher material and economic barriers. I actually fully support increasing legal immigration and believe this is one of the best ways to maintain the social safety network in the face of declining birth rates. But a desire to reduce illegal immigration isn't based out of racism as much as it is the economic decline of the white middle class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

blablablabla posted:

Yes let's go down the protectionist route, make everything more expensive, and put our economy into cryo stasis because some dumbass in West Va doesn't want to learn how to code

Neoliberal garbage.

• Locked thread