Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Joementum posted:

Republicans – 498 respondents

Jeb Bush 19
Ben Carson 25
Chris Christie 2
Ted Cruz 3
Carly Fiorina 5
Lindsey Graham 0
Mike Huckabee 2
Bobby Jindal 1
John Kasich 3
George Pataki 0
Rand Paul 0
Rick Perry 0
Marco Rubio 6
Rick Santorum 0
Donald Trump 29
Scott Walker 1
Someone else 1
Undecided 4
Margin of error 4

Ahahaha Scott Walker pulling down a solid one percent. Hopefully the Koch brothers dispose of him after this election for his failures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Samuel Clemens posted:

What happened to Scott Walker? I don't recall him being involved in any scandals during the last two months. Is it just because no one cares about him now that Trump's running?

When Trump came out with his crazy repeal the 14th amendment plan Scott Walker went from supporting it, to being vague about it, to being against it over the course of a single week. He also seemed to play with the idea of building a wall on the Canadian border. Having bad/impractical ideas won't sink you in the GOP primary, but being indecisive and lacking the charisma to sell your crazy ideas will.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

That's something I've been wondering as an outsider, why does the Republican Party always put forward such embarrassing clowns? It seems like up until a few decades ago they were a more serious, respectable party. Even with Nixon I get the impression that he was knowledgeable and committed in his own way, though he might have been a bastard. Then Reagan got elected and it just kept getting worse and worse from that point. What happened? Who are these people talking about Harry Potter being satanic and 'legitimate rape' like it's the seventeenth century? They're insane and they're turning the US into a Third World laughing stock in the eyes of the rest of the developed world. I don't know how it's even possible for that kind of political regression to occur, it seems to flout what you'd normally expect.

The Republican party has always been the party of business. Unfortunately after the Great Depression "gently caress the poor" was no longer quite enough to get your party elected, and after the 1950's "my opponent is a secret Communist" was no longer driving out voters like it used to. The great business leaders of the GOP needed to find a way to get their preferred candidates elected. So they hit upon the culture war. They've courted various groups which would otherwise never vote for the business party by pandering to these varying social issues such as Nixon's "silent majority" law and order crowd, Reagan's attacks on "welfare Queens" to appeal to closet racists, and getting in bed with the "moral majority" Christian Right types throughout the 80's and 90's. Basically, all types of angry white people.

The idea had always been to use the culture war stuff as window dressing to get Joe Sixpack to vote against his own economic interest. Now however the GOP has so vigorously courted the various loons, that suddenly the loons are a majority and starting to hold real power within the political party. The right wing news echo chamber of Fox News, AM Talk Radio, and various conservative websites has accelerated this trend. Suddenly the party has forgotten that culture stuff was just a con to get pro-business candidates elected, and ironically now you have people like Donald Trump advocating what appears to be the exact opposite of the original plan in a sort of Populist social-conservative, but economically moderate stance.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Scott Walker polling zero nationally in the CNN poll fills me with joy.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

B B posted:

Governors in Wisconson are not term-limited, so he could run again.

And our elections are in non-presidential years, so with current voting pattern of Democratic voters not bothering to vote unless the president is on the ballot, this loving state will have a Republican governor until the heat death of the universe.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Cigar Aficionado posted:

One thing to note about these polls is that between Trump, Carson, and Fiorina's numbers, combined they attract 50%+ of Republicans. All of them are "political outsiders", and not your typical GOP Presidential candidate.

The establishment candidates: Bush, Rubio, Christie, and Kasich, combine around 25% of the poll responders. 25% is about what Mitt Romney commanded throughout the entire primary process.

Bush, still the betting favourite to be the nominee, has seen his support drop from 15~ to half that, and seen his status go from first, to second, to third, to now floating somewhere between third and fifth overall. So far, it doesn't look like he has much of a plan to rebound.

Anyway, this thing seems completely wide open, without a decisive favourite whatsoever. And the primary itself has already been dragged extremely far right. Denigrating Muslims, Mexicans, gays, women, wanting to build a wall to keep Mexicans out, wanting to tear up the Iran deal and likely go to war, defunding Planned Parenthood and a litany of "mainstream" candidates who want no abortions with no exceptions... Not to mention the usual Obamacare repeal, lower taxes for the rich, deregulating industries, and a putting a gun in every school.

Those views are not supported by a collective 50%+ of Americans. It's very hard to see a way forward for that policy package taking a majority of the delegates next November unless something drastic happens in the world.

I think it's a little unfair to group Fiorina in with the "outsider" crowd, because her whole campaign has been an astroturf effort sponsored by the Republican party's big donors. I mean sure, she's technically from outside Washington, but her views and sponsors are 100% Republican mainstream (as terrifying as that is).

The weirdest point for me was after the second debate when an army of talking heads were declaring that unlike the first debate, Trump lost this one and Fiorina was the big winner. But I swear after the first debate the talking heads were also declaring a Trump loss and Fiorina win.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

NotJesus posted:

Is that really that weird? Wouldn't that army of talking heads be pretty much the same people who are astroturfing Fiorina's campaign?
It's not like this would be the very first instance of revisionist doubletalk ever for them.

Well no, but I was a little naively hopeful that someone outside of Rush/Levin would go "hey, Fiorina really wasn't all that impressive". Reading the headlines on google news the day after the debate felt like there was complete consensus that Fiorina was triumphant.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Fulchrum posted:

By what metric is it mediocre instead of terrible?

Soundly beating Scott Walker's zero percent in the most recent CNN poll!

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

UnoriginalMind posted:

As someone from Wisconsin, I knew this would happen the moment he got onto the debate stage. He gets away with crap here because his party has a gerrymandered stranglehold.

Anyhow, his problems are all pretty closely connected. He's got no charisma. He doesn't think on his feet well. He's bad at being aggressive. And honestly? He's just not smart and comes off as such. He's a college dropout. This doesn't translate well to the national level of politics.

He appealed well to petty spiteful assholes who wanted to blame teachers and unions living big off the government teat for all their problems. On the national stage there are better candidates at grabbing the mean rear end in a top hat demographic though, hence Walker seeing all of his support evaporate. This is completely unscientific, but looking at the polling trends over time, I get the feeling a lot of his supporters jumped ship for Trump.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The best part of this primary has been watching serious political commentators being proved repeatedly wrong about Trump's vote ceiling, favorables/nonfavorables, ability to preform head-to-head against specific candidates, longevity, and how every scandal is going to be The One that finally sinks the Trump campaign. I'm actually suspicious if this isn't part of the reason Trump has gathered so much support. Supporting Trump is going against the expected, an act of rebellion against the status quo and the "elites" in the media. Trump repeatedly picking fights with members of the media is an extremely intelligent thing to do. The media is not very popular in this country, and to appear non-biased they will frequently refrain from hitting back if you attack them. I want to say it was Nixon who first hit on the tactic of using the media as a punching bag, and Trump would be wise to keep up his little feuds with Fox News personnel.

At this point I'm willing to say Trump really has a real chance at winning the nomination. Not because he's a great candidate, but because every other person in the GOP field is flawed and uncharismatic to a degree that it seems hard to imagine that any of them winning this nomination either.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Sure the global warming and respiratory diseases caused from massive reliance on fossil fuels is bad, but have you considered ATOMS.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Guiliani's weakness was in his horrible strategy, ignoring all states until Florida and allowing his campaign to slow to zero momentum. Trump is currently leading in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

spunkshui posted:

Carson doesn't believe in evolution.

I know a bunch of people agree with him but not enough for presidency.

Gaze into the abyss and weep:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/21814/evolution-creationism-intelligent-design.aspx

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

I'm only capable of forming political opinions based on how similar a candidate is to Hitler. How much Hitler correlation are we talking about here? Obviously 1.0 Hitler would be awful, but I might be willing to tolerate a <0.1 Hitler politician. Please continue to elucidate the Hitler correlation of candidates for me, thanks.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Venom Snake posted:

Well the train cars he would be using to "centralize" these "ethnic" troublemakers would be gold plated AND high speed, so I would say about a .7

Good. Now I know that Donald Trump is a bad person, because his policies bear a similarity to Adolf Hitler, who is a very bad person.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Patter Song posted:

Suffolk/USAToday national poll:

Trump 23
Carson/Fiorina 13
Rubio 9
Bush 8
Cruz 6
Kasich/Huckabee/Paul 2
Christie/Jindal/Graham 1
Gilmore/Pataki/Santorum 0

I love how we've steadily watched Jeb go from consistently hitting first to second to third and now fifth and people still insist that his campaign has fine fundamentals that totally compensate for a lazy gaffe-prone candidate who is totally out of touch with his party's ideology and is openly despised by most of the primary electorate.

It sounds like someone needs to go look at Nate Silver's Endorsement scorecard again! Who cares if everyone hates Jeb! and nobody wants to vote for him? He has endorsements.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Have some Wisconsin polling

Trump 20, Carson 16, Rubio 14, Fiorina 11, Bush 7, Cruz 5, Paul 5, Kasich 3, Huckabee 3, Christie 3, Jindal 1, Santorum 1, Graham 0, Walker, Perry

I especially enjoy how Marquette's website chooses to present their data in a table ordered based on the sum of the first and second choice of voters...because that's how we vote in this country, right? Choose the two people you like the most on the ballot? Amazingly enough this unique method of presenting their data results in Rubio being in first and Trump being in fourth! How fortuitous!

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

zen death robot posted:

Well it does help get a feel for what people would do when other candidates drop out.

Why would anyone drop out who isn't hilariously overpaying their campaign staff? Newt Gingrich showed us the path of future presidential campaigns in 2012. Find one decrepit rich guy to finance you, then spend the next year enjoying free publicity for your new book/FoxNews commentator gig.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Shageletic posted:

I'm reposting this article since someone brought up the "low white turnout gave Obama 2012" sibboleth a few pages ago and I apparently have nothing better to do.

http://www.brookings.edu/research/papers/2013/05/10-election-2012-minority-voter-turnout-frey

Which is also why the Republican primary is such a flaming tire fire btw.

And anyone who makes the tiniest baby steps toward not actively villifying Hispanics or Blacks is denounced as a traitor and RINO. See the GOP's efforts to agree on any sort of immigration "reform".

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Boosted_C5 posted:

Oh look, this tired and false talking point that retirees and students are driving the decline and everything is fine that I definitely have not seen over and over and over again.

The current participation rate among working aged Americans specifically, aged 25-54 i.e. excluding older Americans and typical college undergraduate AND graduate students, is also down and at over a 3 decade low.

But thanks for playing.

Where does alternate 1985 fit into this timeline?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

A shocking rumor emerges days before the South Carolina primary that Trump, Carson, Rubio, Fiorina and Cruz have all fathered illegitimate black children.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Neurolimal posted:

A true example of the power of bootstraps: if Jeb!'s campaign can succeed in spite of Jeb!, why cant you!

Kyoon warned us all long ago about the Illuminati's plan to "elect" a candidate with 1% support to demonstrate total media control. At this point, if JEB! manages to win the nomination, I think I'm going to buy into that Illuminati theory.

e: Yeah that's the good stuff http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2831406

Subvisual Haze fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 5, 2015

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Everyone should watch this, it's amazing. The amount of loathing this focus group has for Jeb! is wonderful.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

My problem with Nate Silver is that he got famous by being "the numbers guy". And if you go purely by the numbers not only has Trump lead the GOP national polling for 3 months solid, but he's had the lead in almost every state level poll they've taken too (which is really surprising, usually a candidate will have good and bad states, but Trump's hanging around 25% just about everywhere). I honestly don't think that when the dust settles Trump will be the GOP nominee, but there's not really any purely polling based reason why I can point to that being true, it's just a gut feeling.

And that's why I find Nate Silver to be disappointing so far in this primary season. He keeps making blind guesses that Bush/Walker/Rubio/whoever will be the nominee based on his gut feeling. His most recent chatlog thing had him guessing a 30% chance that Jeb! would be the party's nominee. There's no rational, stats based reason why you would ever assign anywhere close to that level of confidence to a candidate who's currently polling 5-6th place nationally, with <8% support and worse favorables/unfavorables than Trump.

He seems less the analytical statistician, and more a conventional wisdom regurgitating pundit that you can find by the dozens on any other website/blog/TV channel.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Good to see the rapid disintegration of support for the Trump campaign continues like the punditry predicted.

Outside of Carson canibalizing Cruz's base, its actually pretty impressive how little things have moved since August.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Montasque posted:

I want to have a chat about "Conventional Wisdom" in regards to this GOP primary.

Here are some pearls of Conventional Wisdom past:

1. Polls this far out don't matter as no one is paying attention.
2. Ad buys are powerful at shaping narrative.
3. The Republicans never attack their own. "Reagan's law"
4. Although they may grumble, Republicans falls lockstep inline with the establishment.
5. The Candidate with the most establishment support will be the nominee.

Do these conventions hold up? IS THIS TIME DIFFERENT?

Conventional wisdom is right until it isn't. Politics is predictive to a certain degree, but every once in a while an exceptionally charismatic individual will come along and break the entire model. Take Reagan for example. In the aftermath of Watergate, could any rationale human being predict that not only would the GOP re-capture the Presidency after only losing it for one term, but that their President would win with 91% and 97% of the electoral votes?

Nobody knows anything, all is chaos.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Full Battle Rattle posted:

In that video he says that there were 3 states that Rove was able to flip. I wonder what they were. Romney had a pretty massive electoral deficit to overcome, It's possible that even if they had tried to steal the election it wouldn't have worked because Obama kicked their asses so thoroughly.

Right, even if Obama lost the "big three" of Ohio Virginia and Florida he still had enough electoral votes to win.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Now that Carson has established himself as the only non-clown who can effectively challenge Trump, does Trump revoke their non-aggression pact? I don't think he will just because Carson's very nature (quiet, friendly, not even challenging Trump on anti-vaccine bullshit) makes him really hard to attack. The GOP voters seem to universally like Carson, and attacking him would probably just backfire.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The GOP never shuts the gently caress up about how much they love Saint Ronald Reagan, and how every candidate is the true heir to Reagan's Holy Path. You can almost picture Trump and Carson as two halves of the Reagan memory.

Carson has the quiet, aww shucks, calming grandpa-like demeanor that just makes everyone want to like him.

Trump has the stinging quips, charismatic media personality, and ability to attack the hated others (go team!).

It's not surprising that both of them have resonated in different ways with a base that is looking for an alternative to the establishment candidates. Thankfully for this country though, one is too mean and the other too passive to have the full Reagan resonance, otherwise the Democrats might be in real trouble in the general.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Antti posted:

I guess America truly is colour blind because all of your Carson theorycrafting seems to just assume that his being black won't cause any problems with a huge portion of the Republican base.

Nah, he's cool until he deviates from the party line. See Colen Powell.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

DarkCrawler posted:

The fact that Donald Trump is STILL the GOP frontrunner is magical. Is he just really loving good at this or did he enter just at the right moment and he's just lucky?

Right wing radio and TV have primed their audience to fall in behind the meanest rear end in a top hat in the room. They built this army of angry crazies for Trump.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Smoothrich posted:

Its not just that, I watch lots of foreign policy think tank presentations, and they've been poo poo talking Obama for years, and not understanding why no one cares about the analysts. There was even a memo recently that DoD analysts got together to complain to higher ups that the Obama administration was changing the words of their reports to make things like training Syrian rebels sound better than it really was. The same thing that seemed to of happened with Benghazi, when that lady was going around TV saying it was about a Muhammad Youtube and angry protesters. But reading about the consulate attack, it was done by soldiers. They set up mortars, cleared the area, came in by trucks and unloaded troops that surrounded the place, used suppressing fire on the rooftop to pin down and fatally wound 2 marines who fought to the death, used RPGs to blow up the entrance. Vilerat died of smoke inhalation, because they loving destroyed this place with artillery and RPGs in a full out assault, and the Ambassador I think locals desperately tried to save him but he died from wounds. Because they knew he was so important, he was really well-respected by Libyans as someone who gave a gently caress and provided order, which is why American bases and buildings exist all over the world, and his death was a real loss for them too. Then the entire nation fell apart. The security that the State Department hired for the consulate, literally abandoned the building before any of this happened, instead of being U.S. Marines or anything worth a drat. Its all one big disgrace for America, which is what Hillary is lol

These sure are some great insights into the Republican primary! Thank you for sharing!

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Montasque posted:

His campaign also has a relatively low burn-rate and he is quietly building up a massive ground game across the south and in early states.

He is also a favorite of the talk-radio jocks who often site him as the most 'consistently conservative' of all candidates... He will pick up a big chunk of the Trump/Carson support if those candidates go away.

Yeah Master Shake, I mean mark levin, never stops praising Cruz.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Three Olives posted:

I think Jeb! would be a terrible president but I honestly think he is the most qualified to go up against Clinton. Carson/Trump/Cruz would be utter disasters from the Republican party and probably have a major effect on down tickets, Clinton would chew up Rubio and it would probably cause serious harm to the Republican brand so honestly where does that leave them at the convention?

The "benefit" of Jeb! winning the nod would be that down ballot GOP candidates could bad mouth their own candidate and blame his insufficient conservatism for the eventual thrashing by Hillary. At this point Jebs greatest value would being an effective fall guy to shield conservatism. Sort of the role Boehner has played this last year.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Is there anyone who could conduct a GOP debate without widespread claims of liberal or establishment bias? If the questions are lighthearted they get bashed for being unsubstantial, if they dare the challenge someone on policy or past actions its "gotcha" journalism. I mean I agree that the media in general in this country is garbage, but once you start cancelling with the big networks who does it even leave with the thinnest veneer of objectivity? Do we just have Rush and Master Shake audibly fellating Ted Cruz at future debates?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

So far the debates have been more of a risk than a benefit for Trump and Carson. With their combined ~50% polling, they benefit from making the debates even more of a clown car mess. If there are 15 bozos up there no individual will have enough screen time to get a knockout performance and challenge them effectively.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

In the news I'm seeing Chris Christie complaining about the candidates taking control of the debates. The few good moments CC has had so far have been times in the debate where he acts all outaged about something a moderator said. Neutering moderators and diluting to the debates with more candidates would potentially take away the one spotlight where he temporarily shines.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news..._politics_pop_b

quote:

Danny Diaz did not have much to say to his fellow campaign managers. The man behind Jeb Bush's presidential campaign was a surprise arrival at Sunday night's emergency meeting; after all, it was a brainchild of former neurosurgeon Ben Carson, the latest outsider candidate to surge past the once-dominant Bush campaign in the polls. Diaz even managed to avoid the reporters staking out the Hilton Alexandria Old Town, chasing anybody who showed up for what had been code-named "family meeting."

[GOP contenders demand greater control over crucial debates]

The campaign managers were meeting to try to gain more control over the crucial primary debates, which have become a source of anger and frustration for the GOP presidential candidates. The following account of the meeting is based on interviews with several attendees, who asked not to be named because they were describing a private gathering.

According to the sources in the room, Diaz did not say much. He did not chime in when other campaigns shot down the idea of splitting the debates into two randomly-selected contests of seven candidates each, and he did not interrupt as others agreed that Fox Business, the next debate host, could do as it liked. He spoke up only to say that a planned February debate with NBC News, the one "suspended" by the Republican National Committee, needed to be salvaged. The debate partner was supposed to be Telemundo, and Republicans could not stiff the only Spanish-language network allowed into the cycle.

Corey Lewandowski, Donald Trump's crewcut campaign manager, shot him down.

"If you do that," he said, "Trump walks."

"Diaz dropped his head, like he was defeated," an attendee said.

Here was the latest example of political outsiders humbling the Republican establishment. It had entered this election cycle with dreams of expanding the party and winning over Hispanic voters. Instead, it was contorting to meet the demands of Trump, a candidate who began his campaign with a promise to finish a border wall and keep "rapists" out of the country. Diaz's second idea, to give candidates final approval of any chyrons or banners that appeared onscreen, was less controversial.

Help, I can't stop laughing

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Alter Ego posted:

Jesus loving Christ. No, don't question our morality, but we can accuse Democrats of being baby-killing savages, Muslims of being bloodthirsty monsters, and anyone who's not straight, white, Christian and male as being unclean and hellbound.

gently caress these people. News flash, asshats--when you run a campaign that is centered on you being "morally" pure, then you drat sure better be prepared to get questions on morality.

As someone who grew up in an Evangelical church, conservative Christianity has made an art-form out of moral hypocrisy.

If someone within the church family did a bad: Jesus tells us to forgive others, Jesus has washed away my sins, we're all sinners, who are you judge etc.

If someone outside the church did a bad: God's sending you to hell sinner.

See how Newt "I divorced my cancer-stricken wife to get an upgraded model" Gingrich managed to draw widespread evangelical support and lead the moral charge against Bill Clinton's infidelities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Hopefully this is the last time we see Paul, Fiorina and Kasich on the main debate stage.

No way, it's hilarious when Trump sucker punches Rand for no apparent reason.

• Locked thread