Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i am he

20 Historical Facts That Prove Living In The Past Was Actually Kind Of Frightening

1. 2.5% of the population of the United States died in the Civil War.
That equals about 750,000 people.

2. The Native American population declined from about 12 million in 1500 to 237,000 in 1900 due to Europeans arriving on the continent.

3. Between the 16th and 19th centuries, 12.5 million Africans were kidnapped and sold into slavery. Basically, Europeans ruined a lot.

4. The Aztecs made human scarifies to please their Gods. At the dedication of a temple in Tenochtitlan, 20,000 people were sacrificed.

5. The Mayans made human sacrifices too. The most common way they did this was by pulling out the still-beating heart of a victim.

6. People in Great Britain used human skulls as cups during the Ice Age.
Image credit: London's Natural History Museum

7. Dentures made before the mid-1800s were usually made out of the teeth of dead soldiers.

8. Joseph Stalin is believed to have killed between 12 million to 15 million people while dictator of the Soviet Union from 1929-1953.

9. Genghis Khan and his armies killed about 40 million people across Europe and Asia.

10. Some pharaohs were buried with their pets and sevants.

11. Speaking of the servants, they would smear themselves in honey in order to attract flies away from the Pharaohs.

12. A zoologist and his team ate the flesh of a 36,000 year old bison they discovered preserved in ice in Alaska.

13. In the 19th century, the "safety coffin" was made so people who were mistakenly buried alive could ring for help.

Imagine waking up like THIS!

14. A form of contraception in 16th century Canada was a potion that consisted of ground up beaver testicles.

15. In the Middle Ages, animals were put on trial. Their defense probably wasn't that great.

16. Another weird Medieval tradition? In order to prove someone's innocence, the accused would have to stick their arm in a pot of boiling water. If the arm remained unharmed, it proved their innocence because God was seen as protecting them.

17. In the 19th century, a popular medicine for kids included morphine.

18. When in danger of being captured, Japanese samurais would stab themselves with their swords.

It was an act called seppuko.

19. How did Emperor Vlad the Impaler get his name? He impaled 20,000 Turks and displayed them on the banks of the Danube River.

20. If that wasn't bad enough, he would soak their blood in his bread. He is said to be the inspiration for Dracula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am he

Most people think it would be "rad" to live in the past. But did you know that weed didn't even exist yet?

mags

I am a congenital optimist.

i am he posted:

8. Joseph Stalin is believed to have killed between 12 million to 15 million people while dictator of the Soviet Union from 1929-1953.

what a busy guy

i am he

21. Oscar Wilde's classic The Picture of Dorian Gray was published in 1891.

Ace of Baes
a lot of people thiink the past is cool because of stuff like 3 piece suits, fedoras, hitler, magic, dinosaurs

but guess what, there wasn't video games, or anime, or orange juice

i am he

22. Primitive man was a violent beast. Nature's greatest sin.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

seppuko

mags

23. Before Doritos, Man had no way to make his fingers glisten with a bold mix of spices.

treasure bear

CAT BRUSH posted:

23. Before Doritos, Man had no way to make his fingers glisten with a bold mix of spices.

i dont even want to think about this its too unbearable

i am he

[A Grizzled Scientist steps out of a strange metal contraption, steam flying everywhere]: It...it worked...It finally worked. I've done it!

*sees a licensed Doctor prescribe Morphine and cocaine to a child for tuberculosis or small pox*

[The Grizzled Scientist recoils in horror and shock]: My God.. I've been administering severe electrical shocks to baby mice for no reason and shooting lazers at monkey brains to see if they can feel pain for ten years. I come from a society where we live under the constant iron rule of western capitalism, but this... this is something truly frightening... Morphine and cocaine are drugs, not medecine!! I should never have tried to play God! The past is actually scary!! Take me back!"

pig slut lisa

irl is good

this thread was posted in the past, before you are reading this post right now. scary...

mags

*Another scientist steps out of the time machine, sees primitive man drilling a hole in the head of another to alleviate headache pain.*

"gently caress this they don't even know about aspirin."

*Gets back in and leaves.*

ulvir

dying from small stuff like the flu or pneumonia are just one of the reasons why the past sucks

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

before the invention of deodorant and anti-perspirant people just smelled bad all the time like woof wowee taint stink everywhere

A Bad King

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
You had some interesting moments though, like wars lasting for decades and things like holy wars being a casus belli.

GEExCEE

just another reason we need the history tag.

smoobles

past people had smelly asses

GEExCEE

St. Catherine of Siena said Jesus gave her his foreskin as a wedding ring.

A Bad King

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

smoobles posted:

past people had smelly asses

This is a misconception of modern pop history. The Vikings, for example, were known to wash their asses so rigorously that the term, Berserker, old Norse for "bedonkadonk" became synonymous with "kicking rear end," in three languages.

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
nobles and monarchs had to interact with others without even knowing their diplomacy score

A Bad King

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
When Caesar said, "the die is caste," he was hoping for yet failed to roll a crit hit.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Bo-Pepper posted:

before the invention of deodorant and anti-perspirant people just smelled bad all the time like woof wowee taint stink everywhere

don't pupt deodorant on your taint you'll get a loving rash

A Bad King

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
There was in fact a large population of Greek furries. Unfortunately, history has only allowed a few of the best known to come down to us as mythology.

ulvir

Angry Fish posted:

This is a misconception of modern pop history. The Vikings, for example, were known to wash their asses so rigorously that the term, Berserker, old Norse for "bedonkadonk" became synonymous with "kicking rear end," in three languages.

uh, actually, "berserk" in old norse would translate to something like "A man in bear skin"

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

don't pupt deodorant on your taint you'll get a loving rash

i do not put deodorant on my taint this is true though the occasional poof of gold bond can be nice

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

Bo-Pepper posted:

i do not put deodorant on my taint this is true though the occasional poof of gold bond can be nice

why do they make underarm deodorant, but not rear end and taint deodorant?

ulvir

my taint always smells nice, I accomplish this by only pooping once during the day (right before a shower) and never fart

ulvir

I feel chronically bloated and cannot seem to get rid of this blasted tummy ache, but I'm sure the connection is only spurious

cuntman.net

guy: 43 students were killed in mexico, its kind of hosed up

me: oh yeah? well the aztecs made human sacrifices to please their gods. at the dedication of a temple in tenochtitlan 20000 people were sacrificed

hemale in pain

Sleepy Owl posted:

guy: 43 students were killed in mexico, its kind of hosed up

me: oh yeah? well the aztecs made human sacrifices to please their gods. at the dedication of a temple in tenochtitlan 20000 people were sacrificed

guy got loving owned by me

joke_explainer

drat thanks man. I'll think twice before going back in time now. Past looks like it totally sucked

alnilam

haha wow omgfacts dot com is really bad holy poo poo

WindmillSlayer

Me, many years in the past: oh my god how much horse piss do I need to drink???

alnilam

http://www.omgfacts.com/lists/16340/20-Horror-Movie-Facts-That-Are-Scarier-Than-The-Movies-They-re-About this one has several typos, at least one factual error (Tom Savini was not the director of night of tthe living dead), some of the facts aren't scary, and there is a repeat post that isn't even true/possible

WindmillSlayer

*staring at leather flask* thats a lot of horse piss!!!

ulvir

alnilam posted:

haha wow omgfacts dot com is really bad holy poo poo

its really shocking to me, that a website with "omg" in it, is bad

WindmillSlayer

ulvir posted:

its really shocking to me, that a website with "omg" in it, is bad

Facebook.com/OMGitsULVIR

ulvir

WindmillSlayer posted:

Facebook.com/OMGitsULVIR

that would be bad, for more than one reason