Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Post about Jazz Jackrabbit, an Epic Megagame by Arjan Brussee and Cliffy B

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbYUAzhhF3s

or about jazz 2...maybe the third one? They're all pretty cool. :) Second game even has a pretty active online community, last I checked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
I used to play this game a lot when I was a kid, it was one of the first games I ever played.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

I didn't have a Gravis gamepad

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

qnqnx posted:

I didn't have a Gravis gamepad
Just as well, it was kinda poo poo. DPad was stiffer than the original 3-button Sega Genesis one, really sucked.

2D games like this are perfectly playable with a keyboard, anyway.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

my dad found the holiday hare 94 version on a shovelware cd and installed it for me. when i played it for the first time and this green rambo rabbit jumped on screen, with groovy soundblaster beat on speakers, i knew this is going to be my favourite game. later we found that the same cd hosts the 95 version too, i liked that one more, even if it had that hard as balls legoland level. but still the music, the attitude, those great 3d bonus levels and wholesome carnage was enough for my 8 year self.

demo of the sequel was on the cover cd of magazine we had subscription for; it was great too.

nowadays i listen more to the soundtracks from the games (thank you whichever game music bundle was that) than playing them proper, because they're kind of bullshit regarding the level design. jj1 gets really hard really fast (tubelectric is the first waking call, and later it gets worse), and there are only couple of good ones in the sequel, along with a lot clipping problems and overall rushed feeling. i still love them to death, have the original one cd-version boxed and the secret files.

of course we assume that gameboy advance thing never happened, right?

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

this + commander keen were and still are the best platformers

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Sub-Actuality posted:

this + commander keen were and still are the best platformers

Which one?

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

bonzibuddy64 posted:

I used to play this game a lot when I was a kid, it was one of the first games I ever played.

Same...

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

THE BAR posted:

Which one?

all the shareware ones obviously

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtiSA2RKDzc

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

Great Joe posted:

Post about Jazz Jackrabbit, an Epic Megagame by Arjan Brussee and Cliffy B

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbYUAzhhF3s

or about jazz 2...maybe the third one? They're all pretty cool. :) Second game even has a pretty active online community, last I checked.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

...FLOPPY EARS AND A BIG GUNTTT

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

My Jazz tastes are a bit too scrubby for this. Still cool that it exists. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-f4-IeNQ3c

laserghost posted:

my dad found the holiday hare 94 version on a shovelware cd and installed it for me. when i played it for the first time and this green rambo rabbit jumped on screen, with groovy soundblaster beat on speakers, i knew this is going to be my favourite game. later we found that the same cd hosts the 95 version too, i liked that one more, even if it had that hard as balls legoland level. but still the music, the attitude, those great 3d bonus levels and wholesome carnage was enough for my 8 year self.
I have so many memories of '95 holiday hare. There was so much detail to the game, the stages were mostly really nicely designed and yeah, there's a reason this has the Music tag. The series music Owns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2idyeFWdmA

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

bonzibuddy64 posted:

me too. we got the family pc and my uncle gave me black & white but there wasnt enough RAM to play black and white so i played this and the fallout games. it was cool.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

the 3d bonus stages were pretty impressive back then, like full-on, smooth mode 7 on your outdated 386

better than skunny kart's (lol) and wacky wheel's solution

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
jizz jerkrabbit

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Great Joe posted:

...maybe the third one?
do u mean the bad gba one or the unreleased jazz 3d beta thats floating around

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

this was my favorite game every as a child and semi recently i was playing one of the lost episodes(the one with planet deserto) and i came across a secret level where you turn into a lizard enemy that i had no idea existed before that

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i clicked the video in the op just to listen to the music

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

thuly posted:

jizz jerkrabbit
sockrubbit

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

bonzibuddy64 posted:

My parents thought it was too violent so I only got to play it at friends' houses, but it's still one of the first games I played

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES
i used to watch my mom play this game she was p good

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I was in way too deep into the JJ2 scene, making maps that I'd run into other players hosting and striking fear into the heart of people online

It was a good game

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

A human heart posted:

do u mean the bad gba one or the unreleased jazz 3d beta thats floating around
What GBA one? There was no GBA one. Get out with that nonsense. It's too bad they didn't complete that 3D one though, the prototype was pretty cool.

deadwing posted:

I was in way too deep into the JJ2 scene, making maps that I'd run into other players hosting and striking fear into the heart of people online

It was a good game
:cool: <- you, you're cool

Budohead
Feb 13, 2011

Head Case
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyMJkR4dyeo

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtJyq0STBu0

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

God dammit... I really need to go play this game again.

I'm just afraid that it won't be as good as I remember though. I can't relive that awesome childhood experience of having 5 people crowded around a tiny CRT monitor each taking turns playing that off of the keyboard.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

just listen to the music, then, and enjoy the memories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvI9ww_5gPY

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

metricchip posted:

I'm just afraid that it won't be as good as I remember though.
They're still decent games, but you can kinda see the seams in Jazz 2. For example, the game was originally meant to play at the same resolution as the first game, so there's a lot of open air above the stage. There's a few easily-found glitches, too, like getting stuck in the corner of a ceiling and a wall, and resetting boss death animations by stomping on them.

It's still really fun, though! :)

cool biRd pics
Aug 28, 2009

you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds
i only had 2 for mac. was the pepper gun meant to actually do something

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

cool biRd pics posted:

i only had 2 for mac. was the pepper gun meant to actually do something
Make a cool noise. :)

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
Spaz jackrabbit was badass

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

There was very little jazz in this game.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

the jazz jackrabbit games are garbage. aero the acrobat tier

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

bhlaab posted:

MODS!?

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

bhlaab posted:

Holy loving poo poo what a bad and wrong opinion

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

actually jazz jackrabbit is probably more like Zool a game where they want you to run fast like sonic but forgot that bad physics and constantly punishing you for going fast makes that not good

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Those fckin turtles...

bhlaab posted:

actually jazz jackrabbit is probably more like Zool a game where they want you to run fast like sonic but forgot that bad physics and constantly punishing you for going fast makes that not good

gently caress u man!!!

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Jazz Jackrabbit suffers from the "Where am I?" problem that platformers often had at the time. The levels would be a mess of platforms and be built like a homogenous cake. It gave no sense of where you were in the world and level. It's the Earthworm Jim class of level design, where you might be high or low in the level and it doesn't really clue you in on either. Some of the Sonic the Hedgehog maps suffered from this too, though they at least made the occasional token effort to add at least one frame of reference (a water plane, or clearly defined ground that looks different from the rest of the platforms). The DKC games would sometimes gently caress this up too with their mine levels and water levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

i actually kind of agree, there was way too much enemies in the first game and the second ones level design was pretty lackluster in places and had bad collision detection

Seshoho Cian posted:

There was very little jazz in this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5eb_qUg5rY

• Locked thread