Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

Gonna play this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

I am herald for Terrordon. His chiseled bulk renders him incapable of operating human equipment. Also, we're fairly sure he can't read. Terrordon wishes it stated that any island showdown that does not take place on Long Island is "lame-o." He promises to claim victory for New York, City "The place that puts 'city' in 'Radocity.'" Please do not engage him on the etymology of that word; since this competition began, his rage has already diminished many unworthy subjects beneath his size 1113 Jordans.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

Puntification posted:

I find your choice of Exakt suspicious when AtrociousToaster, Somberbero, and Met all have literal monsters as avatars.

As always, I stand for Terrordon. Terrordon wishes it known that he does not consider smaller beings as monsters, as they are not capable of smashing humans underfoot. Objective criteria for determining monsterhood has always been the subject of much debate, but Terrordon did not earn his Monstergeddon gang tag by being anything less than, "the BIGGEST and the BADDEST and the RADDEST and the MADDEST monster you ever saw." Further communication from Terrordon will be sporadic in the short-term, as his outrage over a volcano being allowed to compete supersedes any consideration for our equipment.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

EccoRaven posted:

Ok jokevoting is now over.

Night 0 I received a one-shot dayvig (some kind of ray gun). The message said I have to use it Day 1 or else it'll blow up in my face and kill me Night 1.

I want to use it now because jokevoting is dumb but unlike literally every other dayvig in the world I am going to use it as the town sees fit.

Who should I shoot? Unacceptable answers: me, merk, asiina, or Ixtlilton.

Hail. As Terrordon's herald, it up to me to interpret his will. Right now he is searching the island after hearing rumors about an appropriately sized basketball court, but I can assure you that he would encourage the disintegration of the silent. If a monster cannot issue forth many mighty roars in great succession, then they are barely a monster at all.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

Puntification posted:

While generally in the absence of a strong read I'd agree with a lurker vig, the day's not been open for that long and it's a weekday, so I think vigging someone now for not participating when they may be at work or whatever, would be kinda uncool.

A delay in this action was considered implicit. Terrordon is over six-hundred years old and as such, he often takes his wisdom for granted. As herald, I have shamed Terrordon by misspeaking and will be devoured after this missive. My eldest son will take on the position of herald, may his words carry the power of Terrordon's mighty feet.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

EccoRaven posted:

Yeah no I'm not wasting it on a lurker thanks for the super helpful suggestion though.

e: super helpful

e2: super. helpful.

e3: I am being sarcastic do you get it?

Terrordon, in his ancient wisdom, recalls a day many moons ago when Repeating Crow spoke to the power of smashing those who lurk beneath the surface. Terrordon supports this consideration, as these subterranean creatures often create inconvenient sink-holes that cause Terrordon much anguish and twisted ankles.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

Even Terrordon's laugh causes His servants to tremble, we beg you not to amuse Him so. Terrordon claims He is far too massive to fear disintegration and has been shouting "TERRORDON'S INTEGRITY IS SUPREME LIKE DELICIOUS NEW YORK PIZZA" so long that His mere proclamation has slain several village elders.

No moderator, Monster or otherwise, is capable of enforcing restriction upon Terrordon. All Terrordon's words and thoughts are transcribed as presented by Terrordon, such is the duty of each herald.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

Terrordon commands His herald to communicate His laughter in such form, "HA HA HA HA HA." Terrordon notes that the numerous HA's are meant to indicate the greatest level of mirth.

Such claims of tiny weapons that smash monsters to bits are ridiculous, as all know that smashing is the prerogative of the huge. Terrordon has been subject to many attempted smashings by small human technology and does not fear another.

My apologies for any insolence, but Terrordon believes that the chattering bird is merely afraid his hollow bones will prove wanting of smashings. Terrordon thinks him right be afraid, as Terrordon is taller than birds even as they fly. So speaks Terrordon, may His footfalls never find our children.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

Terrordon insists His presence is immune to your armchair psychology, as no armchair is large enough to hold Terrordon. Terrordon has not sat in many moons.

Terrordon has instructed all His subjects to catch as many birds as possible for Him to feast upon, so that He may develop a taste for feathers and be fully able to enjoy His victory over you. We thank you for this, as Terrordon has feasted indiscriminately upon us since His awakening. May you find shelter in His scales.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

Hark, I am Krak, son of Kra, son of Ra. Kra has gone to join our ancestors in Terrordon's gullet, such is a position of honor as he shall become one with the mighty soul of Terrordon. Such kindness is undeserved, as Terrordon was well displeased by news that some found His "gimmick" uninteresting. As all know, Terrordon is the biggest monster, and as such the most interesting.

merk posted:

In other news, this dude is scum. ##vote Ixt

These posts serve no purpose but try to look like they're helpful.

The Beast's cries for blood please Terrordon. Ixtlilton is obviously small, speaks Terrordon. Terrordon has not smashed an Aztec for seasons beyond seasons, but he remembers it fondly. Small beings should concern themselves with suggestions as to who Terrordon should next squish, not whinge about who should not be squished. Such pleas are futile, as the children often say "All unworthy souls shall be smashed in time." Terrordon itches to smash Met beneath his incomprehensible bulk, but Terrordon is ancient beyond knowing and has learned to pace His smashing. ##vote Ixtlilton

EccoRaven posted:

See while I don't disagree at all in theory, I still feel like we should be trying to actually hunt scum.

Removing worthless, obnoxious, or toxic players is the job of vigilantes (and good-hearted scum), not the town.

Sidebar but I literally just realized how often I split infinitives and now it's my new project to stop STARTING NEXT POST.

Terrordon spits on your nattering, bird. His blessed expectorant is currently dissolving the schoolhouse. Terrordon knows that such behavior is anti-monster, regardless of the monster's intention.

EccoRaven posted:

I've still got a sinking feeling about Somber tbh.

Terrordon has instructed me to suggest that such a sinking feeling is common when comparing one's insignificance to that which is the majesty of Terrordon.

Dr. Hurt posted:

Asiina don't be ablist. Terrodon is so big. Imagine him trying to type a keyboard. you'd be out one keyboard! Keyboards are expensive! Terrordon has to have his followers write for him so we can understand what he's saying. Would you rather he lurk? Because I sure wouldn't!

Such discrimination is unfortunately not beyond the experience of even one as colossal as Terrordon. He now sheds a single tear to show strength in adversity. roars mightily in anger that one might treat Terrordon with anything less than the dignity that His stature demands.

Dr. Hurt posted:

Also I am just gonna go out on a limb and guess that Terrordon is BP or something and that's why he's assuming this larger than life presence. Well either that or Terrordon is a VT and he's just having a blast with his great name.

Hah! Even I, Krak, herald of Terrordon laugh at this. Terrordon has proof against missiles fired by rude and hateful soldiers, so of course He has proof against bullets. Terrordon's wrath is matched only by his generosity, He has instructed me to offer you a boon for amusing Him so. This is an honor few have ever been allowed, cherish your day Armored Arachnid.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

Hark, Terrordon wishes to speak and so all must listen. Terrordon, the Beast of the Northeast, would usually take great pleasure in the destruction of a human pretending to be a monster. However, Terrordon has never heard of Whyohming in His milennia of existence and has many questions he demands be answered.

The research of I, Krak, indicates Whyohming to be a barren land, absent of pizza and basketball. Terrordon asks whether this can be true, as such a blighted desert would be unworthy even of smashing.

Dugong posted:

So scum don't know each other. What do we think is the advantage for them to balance this out?

I'm not sure it would be more vanilla mafia than normal as the gimmick would then become SKs who have to share a kill.

I'm thinking stronger powers for the mafia instead. This has the additional problem of town powers being devalued by role blockers, drivers etc. It could just be they get more shots of their powers.

The randomly selected night is interesting. Combined with not knowing each other it opens up the possibility of scum killing their own members.

As I, Krak the Herald, read this post aloud to Terrordon, he began to shake with uncontrollable rage. He has since calmed and we have already buried most of the dead. He speaks an ancient and immutable wisdom, that many who speak vex themselves over the way monsters will battle instead of themselves battling monsters, are hardly monsters at all, and worthy of destruction. Those who speak such in vague terms to avoid commenting on any recent development are, at best, humans pretending to be monsters. Terrordon speaks that such is disgusting to him.

Tremendous Taste posted:

incidentally meinberg took an excuse to use a scumvig

Such is nonsense, speaks Terrordon. In Terrordon's experience, monsters love to destroy other monsters immediately with powerful attacks. It is forever the humans who play unfairly and save their best weapons until the final moments to cheat Terrordon from complete and utter victory, forcing him to retreat back to His island.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

As always, I speak for Terrordon. Terrordon has given all loyal subjects the weekend off in celebration of His imminent victory over all monsters. The disloyal subjects shall envy the dead.

Girlfriend is out of town this weekend and she took my laptop. Don't wanna lynch Ernie or Meinstein, wanna lynch Dugong or JJ(he will forget the game exists at some point).

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

EccoRaven posted:

I think it's scummy to advance the position Ernie has been, yes. I think it's encouraging the town to make mistakes, and his insistence pushes it away from "disagreement about strategy" to "actively trying to harm the game."

Terrordon sees no merit in your reasoning, and His eyes are so enormous that is only possible if your merit is very small, like an ant.

Ra, father of Kra, father of Krak, believed that the best way to avoid the footfalls of Terrordon was to curl up in a small ball as to reduce the surface area available to be squished. His cousin Ga insisted that the best way to avoid footfalls was to run as quickly as possible. Each believed their plan best, though neither could know without testing. Their insistence meant nothing as both efforts were sincere.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

By Terrordon's incinerating breath, the snark here saddens Krak. Terrordon cares not for passive aggression, it smashes his heart.

I'm not going to vote Ernie. I don't feel like Ecco is being especially genuine in his casing. Listen to merk, please. There is no reason to not vote Ixt. In my experience he rarely posts as scum and I don't think he's a productive townie.

I mean, his defense for today was to whine about being picked on after a long absence. There's plenty of content and time to do work and push for any one of the other contenders, but he won't. He's the kind of guy to duck out after getting heat and hope everyone forgets he exists. Don't give him a pass because he's been away for a bit, it's his responsibility to play when he signs up. What little play he has put forward has been quintessential scum posting.

If nothing else, just listen to merk. Even if he's wrong, that's very useful.
Ernie is posting, and honestly I'm sick of playing with lurkers. Give him a day pass if for no other reason than he's trying, probably harder than you are. I would be angry if I were him too.

I'm fairly certain that Ecco and Dugong are also scum but I lack the patience and real keyboard required to do anything about that.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

EccoRaven posted:

Nah it's not ridiculous at all. Is it like totally 100% flawless? Nope. But it's still a fine enough Day 1 case.

You're ignoring the better candidate on the table because of a professed sentimentality and that's not something I really buy. It just feels like a fake, emotional distraction.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

Dr. Hurt posted:

I could be down for just a plain and simple lurker cuddle. Motley has straight up 2 posts in this game that's "I'm in" and "confirmed." There is nothing lost voting him. He's not a new player. As of right now he hasn't shown that he's anything but dead weight. Let's dump some chumps and make the game stronger overall. ##vote Motley

Alright, but Ixt also has very little content but that very little content is scummy.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

EccoRaven posted:

Nah I'm ignoring Ixt because I don't find the case that persuasive, and I like my feeling on Ernie, and Ernie is in the lead, so, I have no reason to sabotage it.

I am on my phone so I am not going to look it up but I distinctly remember that not being what you said earlier. Apologies if I'm wrong, I'll come back to this.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

I started to write another Terrordon post but I got a text a family member passed. I dunno what my posting will be like this week but I'll keep up my commitment if you all have some patience.

Despite telling people to just listen to merk, I don't want to vote Dr. Hurt. He might be scum but whatever. I'll vote JJ for being around near deadline but contributing a useless vote. I need to look at Ixtlilton again so I'm not sure yet on whether I'd continue to vote him. I will vote Ecco because I don't think he's being honest.

EccoRaven posted:

Ok jokevoting is now over.

Night 0 I received a one-shot dayvig (some kind of ray gun). The message said I have to use it Day 1 or else it'll blow up in my face and kill me Night 1.

I want to use it now because jokevoting is dumb but unlike literally every other dayvig in the world I am going to use it as the town sees fit.

Who should I shoot? Unacceptable answers: me, merk, asiina, or Ixtlilton.

EccoRaven posted:

The second quote you posted bothered me when I first read it, since I don't think anyone was actually arguing Met being a shitheel actually makes him scum in this game; it felt like Ixt was just browsing the thread very casually and wanted to appear helpful. I confess though that I am disinclined vote for him day 1 since he helped me out in a pinch back in September without complaining once.

So, it's been reasonably established that Ecco doesn't want to vote Ixtlilton for meta reasons. That is fine. However, then Ecco starts talking about the strength of the case on Ixtlilton as to why he's not voting. That's a horribly constructed sentence, sorry.

EccoRaven posted:

Nah I'm ignoring Ixt because I don't find the case that persuasive, and I like my feeling on Ernie, and Ernie is in the lead, so, I have no reason to sabotage it.

EccoRaven posted:

I said it was an ok case but I was disinclined to vote for him because of the extra-game stuff.

But Ernie stuff has happened since then, and again, he's in the lead, so.

EccoRaven posted:

I'm sorry Hurt, I never realized you were an eight-year old.

Ok I promise I'll be nicer from here on out!

I think people should vote for Ernie because I think his posting has been a little scummy. I think he's trying to game the game in the scum's favor, either by giving him an excuse for not posting well ("I don't want to be nightkilled!"), or (deviously) getting town players to post less townie making it harder for us to vote properly.

It's not a 100% solid case, it's maybe a B- Day 1 case, and honestly I'm willing to table it to later (especially if Meinberg actually does get an extra daykill).

The Ixt case to me is like a C+ Day 1 case. It's mostly based around Ixt making a few posts that seem weird, which, they were, but they're not so bad it's damning. I preferred the Ernie case to the Ixt case.

The Ecco case is one part "Ecco is trying to manipulate the game!", which someone might view as silly, but I'm nice now so I'm just saying fiery_valkyrie needs to reread the game because she seemed mistaken about the order of events. Then there's Asiina who voted for me from seemingly being on the "Ernie" side of the Debate. And Ernie's case is kinda scattered, I honestly don't 100% understand it but if people want me to respond to it I can.

And that's about it for cases right now in my view! Hurt did something with Motley that is a total shot in the dark, someone else wants us to vote for HiipFire for being mean... idk. It's a normal day 1.

I'm sure Ecco is going to argue that he can dislike a case for multiple reasons. I'd bet he's going to argue that it doesn't really matter why he was reluctant to vote Ixlilton. I'd guess he's going to make some good arguments I can't preempt because I can't anticipate them. I don't really care either way, no offense intended towards Ecco but I do not have the gumption present to fight him through all of day two. Someone else can pick this up if they want, I think there's a lot of scummy content to be found if you can put yourself in an Ecco mindset. I noticed a few times that he was making very vague arguments, saying that something was bad without giving any reason as to why. That caught my attention as uncharacteristic behavior.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

America is poorer today for it, but I will take those results.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

EccoRaven posted:

vv I'm not a math person, I suppose if you consider the already-dead town it brings it closer to parity, but I still really question the efficacy of voting from among the 6 exclusively - even if it were better than random chance, it would only be slight.

Hey merk are you playing this way because you don't want to be killed or because you're phoning it in?

And if it's the former, is it because you're town or because you're scum?

Because if you're town you should roll up your sleeves a bit more, I would like more input from you right now.

Why is it not possible to use the challenge results to play mafia? Why are you choosing to frame the decision to scumhunt inside or outside of the challenge pool as a question of chance?

Why do you want Merk's input when he thinks or recently thought you're scum?

Why are you arguing this position when you haven't voiced any opinions on any challenge contributors today? You don't even seem very convinced in what you're saying, but then vv I'm not a people person so who can say if my argument has any merit haha

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

EccoRaven posted:

It is possible, I just question to what extent it's efficacious. If the 7 challengers are representative of the distribution of the game - there are similar ratios for town, scum, and neutral third parties respectively - then focusing exclusively on the remaining 6 players (as JJ proposed) is not substantively different than RNG'ing a list of players and choosing among those. Sure, it's possible, but why do it?

If we have reason to believe there's more than 1 scum among the challengers (or that the odds of that being the case are better than pure chance), then it's helpful to focus on them exclusively. But we don't.

Again, you're assuming six town and one scum in the challenge group, which is a weird assumption because like you said, we don't know. It is not equivalent to compare a group of seven random players against a group of seven players where at least one is confirmed anti-town. You would probably end up with a similar distribution of alignment in the RNG group, but that means very little.

I understand that the odds of lynching one scum in seven players are not good. If we were randomly lynching players, that would be a bad strategy! As it is, we're combining challenge information with game information to make a useful lynch with which you and I both agree. JJ will probably eat it today and that works for me.

EccoRaven posted:

Because merk is a good mafia player and I specifically PM'd him to play this game because I wanted to play a game with him, but if he's phoning it in because he's distracted then I am disappointed but understanding.

It seems odds to prod an active player for not being overly active. Saying that merk is phoning it in feels disingenuous at best, like you're trying to discredit his stance on you indirectly. That might be confirmation bias because I'm already fairly convinced you are scum, but your behavior makes so little sense to me I'm having trouble rationalizing it any other way

EccoRaven posted:

Save for Challenger JJ, who is probably scum due to Opop's case.

Somber why are you being so aggressive re:me this game? Is it because Day 1 I threatened - impotently - to shoot you? It encourages you to make mistakes like the third quote, and I know you can do better than that.

My bad. I still think it's telling that you're engaging more in mafia rhetoric rather than scumhunting.

I'm being "aggressive" because I think you're scum. I hardly think aggressive is a fair characterization when I've called out a couple posts and haven't had time to follow up on your responses.

Why are you making my scumhunting personal? Why are you sidelining us into an distracting tangent you initiated and has long since passed having any relevancy? It's not productive. It doesn't feel like you want to find scum this game, Ecco. Even your case against Ernie, which scored a not-town so congratulations, felt safe because your conclusion was based on setup speculation.

Back to your transparent vig claim, what happened to your suspicion on me? Did me repeatedly calling you scum somehow convince you of my alignment? That would be a far more productive case for you to make than whatever you're arguing now.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

merk posted:

This dude is another scum.

On a scale of one to five, how wolfy would you say I am?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

Is your intent to try and type me into submission? I'm at a loss for any other explanation as to why you would take the time to compose a post that accomplishes so little.

Ecco Raving posted:

More empty words. Blah blah blah.

We know at least one of the 6 is scum. True, if we RNG'd people we wouldn't have that certainty. It doesn't actually change what I'm describing though.

Maybe I don't know what you're actually describing then.

If anyone is actually advocating for focusing on the challengers to the exclusion of all other vote candidates, then that's bad. If a number of people were actually advocating that position with any kind of seriousness, then my apologies.

However, it's my interpretation that the challenge data is being used as a contributing vote factor, not the sole factor. That should be absolutely clear, as multiple people are voting JJ for his perceived change in position on Opopanax. I think your semantics to the contrary are anti-town and kind of nonsense as an aside.

EccoRaven posted:

His stance on me seemed totally baseless, in that he said absolutely no words on it either way.

I want to talk with someone who gets really basic poo poo so I don't have to explain it to the rest of you.

That isn't a natural response. I immediately valued merk's opinion on this game less as a result of him being wrong about my alignment.

EccoRaven posted:

I am a bad leader, I don't do things by example, so sue me. I point out when people say things that are silly or unreasonable. Yes it'd be better if I spent my time hunting scum. It'd be even more better ( grammar) if I didn't even have to tell people why "let's only focus on 6 players exclusively" is a dumb way to play the game.

Just once I'd love to play a game with a town of sensible people, who are reasonable and thoughtful from the start, so I don't have to act like the voice of reason and I can just focus on the game. It'd be really nice.

You know, Ecco, if you want to create a meaningful game dialog, maybe don't treat the people you're playing the game with as if they were idiots?

Please show me where popular opinion dictated that today, we the town had collectively agreed that we would focus on the Challenger 7 to the exclusion of all other vote candidates. That is what you are saying happened. That is not what happened. This is not a rhetorical imperative, please cite what you are talking about.

As an aside:

EccoRaven posted:

There's a number of players chomping at the bit to find any reason to vote me, but, it's the truth, do the math.

How presciently defensive. Lucky thing that you have math on your side! Or not, depending on what is convenient.

EccoRaven posted:

I didn't start it" applies here; JJ said something dumb, I said it was dumb, and people disagreed, because people are bad at not being silly sometimes.

Whenever I have to force a town to be sensible, the response from critics always comes down to "but ecco, why did you waste all our time with this dumb thing!!", as if it was my fault multiple players believe a particularly silly line of thinking. It always stems from setup speculation and wild assumptions, be it "there was a weird nightkill once, therefore THERE IS A SERIAL KILLER", or "a kill was stopped and we don't know why, THE CLAIMED DOCTOR MUST BE LYING" (all true stories). Nobody's perfect (in that first example, there actually was an SK, he just sat on his kills all game). But we need to be sensible, because otherwise we run off on tangents and goose chases, and that's a really solid way to lose a game.

I'm done talking about this particular point for now and forever more. Let's please avoid speculation and just try to focus on the game.

This entire paragraph is completely unrelated to the game. It is a distraction and it is scummy.

EccoRaven posted:

When you started saying "Ecco is scum!", I had to back off you a bit. I have a gut feeling about you, but I can't substantiate it, and if I still ran with it, it could (and you would) easily dismiss it as OMGUSm, or if we got embroiled into it people would dismiss us both as "townie slapfighting." This is because of mafia politics; you can't go after someone who is going after you unless you have some meat to the case. It's stupid but, wishes and horses and all.

Right, which is why I'm reacting exactly that way to merk.

I KNOW THIS IS ALL VERY BORING EVERYONE BUT AT LEAST READ THIS PART

You're still not talking about whether or not I am scum right now. You practically refuse to say, and that is scummy. You have so much content you could analyze on this page alone, but it's still not enough to substantiate your gut? Why not actually play mafia, Ecco Raven? I wasn't sure you were scum, I kept working at it. Your increasingly evasive responses, general disinterest in finding scum, manufactured distractions, and status as a challenger have convinced me that you are scum. See how that works?

It's so bizarre that you say you were afraid to argue with me because of how it would appear. I don't play the game that way as town. Maybe you do, but I find it unlikely.

THANKS FOR READING ^ THIS MUCH APPRECIATED

EccoRaven posted:

I dislike that you're going after me for silly points; you didn't like that I didn't want to vote Ixt over Ernie. So what? You don't like that I have opinions about challengers. So what? It's all a lot of nothing, Somber - you're saying a lot of words to say ultimately very little (and believe me I know what that's like).

I have no idea what you're talking about. That might have been a point I had made, but it's so far removed that I'm not sure what relevance it has in this current conversation.

EccoRaven posted:

And you haven't even voted for me yet! Again, mafia politics - I was kinda expecting you to vote me first thing, it's weird that you haven't.

I didn't realize the deadline was imminent, my apologies.

EccoRaven posted:

It's weird that you've more or less ignored everything else that's happening today just to go after me. I made it "personal" because it feels personal - because it doesn't feel like it's coming from a sincere place, since so many of your points against me are so silly or otherwise not representative of what's actually happening. It feels like you're going after me because you want to, not because you actually think I'm scum trying to lie and deceive the town.

Let me be clear, I am not under the illusion that I will get you lynched today. JJ is a good candidate, I feel I can say he's scum, you're good at mafia, and I am too drained to keep up with your volume of posting.

What part of this case seems convenient or opportunistic to you? That's the point you're getting to, right? You're doing that thing where you dismiss a bunch of points at once by being generally negative without actually responding to them. What content am I ignoring? I haven't really noticed any scumhunting going on outside of The People v. JJ and myself.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

Ecco if you are town then find a scum.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

EccoRaven posted:

I did, now you.

Done. ##vote EccoRaven

Ernie was a survivor so you casing him means nothing and claiming otherwise is nonsense or scummy.

Mad Rancher posted:

I firmly disagree with this statement; ecco's putting his thoughts about a lot of things in a single post. Just because one of those things isn't directly related to "WHO IS SCUM IN THIS GAME?!" doesn't make it scummy.

I would argue those thoughts aren't related to this game at all. He's talking about having to handhold the precious simpletons of Mafia Past as an anecdote meant to explain his frustration with all the idiots in this game, who keep making all these terrible posts that only he can see. He could be haunted by mafia, I guess?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

Yeah, and a beautiful human to boot.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

Monathin posted:

Ive been reading the goon mafia wiki off and on as there are some terms I'm unfamiliar with that you guys use, though the basic stuff is still more or less clear to me. I'm slowly getting the hang of it, though.

Who do you think is scum, Mona?

preview edit:

Monathin posted:

Also my secret hunches basically boiled down to Ecco being too overambitious to scumhunt, but I think those are kind of a moot point since it seems like Ecco was being earnest. I didn't really want to jump into it because I wasn't really prepared enough to have a conversation, but it probably didnt need saying. I'm also on my phone which makes things a bit harder.

Do you consider your previous feelings on Ecco invalid, since he was casing a not-town but not-mafia player? If so, why? Do you have any thoughts on my posts about Ecco? Who are you going to vote today?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

Puntification posted:

Hey somber, did you see my question to you?

I did, but I forgot. Let me review.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

Somberbrero posted:

I did, but I forgot. Let me review.

Probably. He contributed to a no-lynch yesterday and is ignoring a lot of the relevant content today to push a non-starter.

That seems standard for the game so far, though. I feel like the town isn't communicating well.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

I feel pretty confident in Ecco as scum. I will point you to this.

EccoRaven posted:

didn't read your post somber never will AITCH-TEE-AITCH

When would Ecco ever pass up an opportunity to legitimately berate someone who was wrong? Ecco loves to agonize over semantics, as evidenced by the past couple pages. The easiest way to deal with a compelling argument as scum is just to ignore it.

The thing about bowmore is that non-activity is fairly typical with him. I don't disagree with your assessment, it's just not a very interesting vote.

Dugong posted:

^the joint vote leader is JJ and while it is a good case, town not communicating is highlighted by merk voting and then disappearing. Yeah he is in the champions game but it doesn't leave much to talk about.

If it's a good case, why aren't you voting with it?

Opopanax posted:

Hey I don't know if anyone else say this but this is a baaaddd post

Can you expand on that? I don't get it. Because he's taking credit for catching the SK? Ecco has been doing much the same, but with a Survivor.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

EccoRaven posted:

When you started off your post saying more stupid crap about the ratios argument and I threw my hands in the air and said "gently caress it." Duh.

Also, rude.

True but I really doubt it's compelling, if it was anything like the posts leading up to it.

You're ignoring my posts because you don't care what I have to say or you're scum. I guess the distinction doesn't really matter.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

Me posted:

The easiest way to deal with a compelling argument as scum is just to ignore it.

EccoRaven posted:

True but I really doubt it's compelling, if it was anything like the posts leading up to it.

Ecco feels the need to discredit a post that he says he ~d~i~d~ ~n~o~t~ ~r~e~a~d~ ~.~

How is that possibly town?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

fiery_valkyrie posted:

##vote Meinberg

Two reasons.

First, his use of the vig was scummy. He didn't attempt to discern player alignment before using it, he just saw a player he could shoot with no blowback and did it.

Second, this post just comes across as awkward and an attempt to say something without actually getting involved in the game.
edited in: "A Sunday deadline? Why I never!

Things have been pretty quiet, so I don't have any new thoughts, but I'll think real hard, and try to come up with something."

I don't really see the vig use as scummy. Firing from the hip seems townie, since most people shut their brain off the moment they see they have a kill as town. If I were a scum vig I would hold onto that for a long time.

I agree that sort of noncontent is scummy but I think Punt's casing on bowmore is a little more substantive regarding that particular behavior.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

EccoRaven posted:

I'm telling you if it was a good case someone would have responded to it or voted with it or something. Or, for that matter, you'd have tried to condense it into something readable and short and vote-able (which I would have read and responded to).

It probably wasn't a good case, then!

You can try again, it's not the end of the world.

Whether or not someone takes action on my points against you actually doesn't speak to their quality at all. If you were "posting and putting in effort and trying to find scum despite the constraints" you probably would have seen that I prioritized one paragraph over the rest of the response.

I've been trying to get you to respond to me for nearly two days and I still do not have a direct answer. You're scum.

Ecco Raven posted:

When you started saying "Ecco is scum!", I had to back off you a bit. I have a gut feeling about you, but I can't substantiate it, and if I still ran with it, it could (and you would) easily dismiss it as OMGUSm, or if we got embroiled into it people would dismiss us both as "townie slapfighting." This is because of mafia politics; you can't go after someone who is going after you unless you have some meat to the case. It's stupid but, wishes and horses and all.

Me posted:

I KNOW THIS IS ALL VERY BORING EVERYONE BUT AT LEAST READ THIS PART

You're still not talking about whether or not I am scum right now. You practically refuse to say, and that is scummy. You have so much content you could analyze on this page alone, but it's still not enough to substantiate your gut? Why not actually play mafia, Ecco Raven? I wasn't sure you were scum, I kept working at it. Your increasingly evasive responses, general disinterest in finding scum, manufactured distractions, and status as a challenger have convinced me that you are scum. See how that works?

It's so bizarre that you say you were afraid to argue with me because of how it would appear. I don't play the game that way as town. Maybe you do, but I find it unlikely.

THANKS FOR READING ^ THIS MUCH APPRECIATED

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

Half of my effort this game has been devoted towards trying really loving hard to be polite.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

That response from Ecco makes me want to unvote him. I'm at the gym right now but I'll think on the game and come at it tomorrow.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

I'm trying to write fewer words and it's hard.

If I had to guess whether Ecco is scum or not, and I do, I would guess yeah. Part of that is merk backing the vote, part of that is that Ecco admitting he wasn't playing in good faith doesn't mean anything as to his alignment, and part of it is the emotionality he's using. For day one-point-five I think it's a fair lynch.

I think lynching Hipfire is productive but I have no idea whether or not he is scum. I would prefer to vote bowmore if we're going to push a lurker.

Ixtlilton posted:

Asiina is the cum (wo)man, I have foreseen. f_v is doing her town thing and so is Ecco. I can't read Somber very well since he just posts up a storm as any alignment but this seems more sincere than his scum posting. merk was right for the right reasons and scum merk would probably be less right for less right reasons maybe, merk's not a busser as far I can remember and casing properly is almost like bussing.

Peta is a guy, hi Peta. Bowmore is lazy as town but this is more like lazy scum bowmore as far as I can tell. Although he didn't insult me before voting me so that gives me pause there. I was about to read PM but then realized he's dead.

Pig, if I update the alive lists every day will you edit the OP by copy/pasting them?

In conclusion, the town are f_v, Ecco, merk, and Motley. The scum are probably Asiina, and maybe bowmore or Punti. The other people can wait.

This is a scum post though. ##vote Ixtlilton Ixtlilton mentions half a dozen folk but only gives one opinion that comes close to being useful. The reasoning is complete nonsense and pearl-clutching over merk bussing is, as I'm sure someone has pointed out, hilarious and awkward.

fv is "doing her town thing." What is her town thing? How is it different from her scum thing? I have a hard time reading fv's alignment so I'd like some insight.

What is Ecco's town thing? How is he doing it here?

When was the last time you played with me where I was scum, Ixt? I think it might be "never."

I dare you to explain what you said about bowmore in a way that makes any sense + gives meaning.

Ecco is fine but I'm sold on Ixt.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

Asiina posted:

Ixt is a scum. Makes a bunch of definitive scum calls, has voted for nobody but himself.

Afraid of accidentally cuddling a scumbuddy?

haha I didn't even notice that, amazing.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

EXAKT Science posted:

Hey I'm here too. There are just a lot of people posting who are very much better at Mafia than I am, as well as the fact that this is the largest game I've been in yet and it's all a bit intimidating

Ecco, I'm not sure how to feel about you, partially because I've never played with you before and thus have no meta whatsoever to go off of. Your D1 callout of Ernie's (imo flawed) "hey everybody let's act scummy" seemed pretty townie to me, but I don't know how to feel about the repeated volleys beetween you and Somber. It seems to me more like two townies going at each other to me than anything else, though.

Hurt's flip is really interesting to me. He came up as Military-Aligned, and while that may just be a third party group of which he was the only member, it could also mean that we're dealing with multiple scumteams.

also I forgot, but I kept this post open in another tab because Exakt is likely scum.

1) "I'm a newbie, what's mafia?" - I guess I could understand this, but Exakt is a good player despite being newer and I've never seen him lack confidence before.

2) Non-opinion on Ecco - Why even mention this other than to look like you're generating relevant content?

3) 3rd Party Distraction - Talking about Hurt's flip helps us in no real way today and just provides the illusion of contribution.

Ixtlilton posted:

Well at least I'm getting the vote off Ecco and Somberbrero can continue being wrong about me in more words than I'm going to read.

Why would you be more sure of Ecco's alignment than your own?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

The Pit Awaits

Ixtlilton posted:

Also, I ran a game with Ecco where you were scum and you were so insincere like holy poo poo.

Oh hey, you knew my alignment whilst reading a game and it gave you insight into my play that game? What does that have to do with this game?

Also you barely read that game.

• Locked thread