Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Sign me up I'm a glutton for punishment!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

RRRRROOOOLLLLING SSSSTTTTAAAARRTTT!!! ##vote Cpig

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
The flavour is amazing I am pretty excited by this game, and by how many people were tempted outta "retirement" by it! Confirmed I'm a super sweet robit and friend to the earth.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Whichever film where it turns out man was the monster all along.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Somberbrero posted:

I am herald for Terrordon. His chiseled bulk renders him incapable of operating human equipment. Also, we're fairly sure he can't read. Terrordon wishes it stated that any island showdown that does not take place on Long Island is "lame-o." He promises to claim victory for New York, City "The place that puts 'city' in 'Radocity.'" Please do not engage him on the etymology of that word; since this competition began, his rage has already diminished many unworthy subjects beneath his size 1113 Jordans.

Don as in mob boss, SCUM SPOTTED ##vote Somberbrero

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

EXAKT Science posted:

It means tooth, butthead. Not knowing the etymologies of monster name parts, clear scumslip.

##vote Punt

Trap sprung! ##vote EXAKT science for taking my joke vote seriously.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

EXAKT Science posted:

Ha! My vote was a joke as well!

##vote Punt

Voting the same person twice hey? Seems like someone is faking the appearance of activity while doing nothing...

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Poison Mushroom posted:

I wanna punch a monster. EXAKT's avatar looks like a monster.

I'm gonna punch it with my vote.

##vote EXAKT

I find your choice of Exakt suspicious when AtrociousToaster, Somberbero, and Met all have literal monsters as avatars.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

AtrociousToaster posted:

My Owlbear is very upset that you called him a monster, you made him cry. ##vote Punt

That's clearly a just picture and therefore unable to feel emotions or have the tear ducts to express them fluidly. LYNCH ALL LIARS! ##vote atrocioustoast

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Dugong posted:

What I'm a crab and everyone else is a volcano or a God

Are you at least a giant crab?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
While generally in the absence of a strong read I'd agree with a lurker vig, the day's not been open for that long and it's a weekday, so I think vigging someone now for not participating when they may be at work or whatever, would be kinda uncool.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

EccoRaven posted:

Yeah no I'm not wasting it on a lurker thanks for the super helpful suggestion though.

e: super helpful

e2: :airquote: super. helpful. :airquote:

e3: I am being sarcastic do you get it?

I don't, could you edit your post a couple more times to emphasis it better for me?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Vig bowmore for being afraid to die.

Also I can't think of a time when a player's had a posting gimmick and been scum, admittedly I can only remember 2 instances, ecco in the wire and keane in the league, so if some players with more experience can weigh in on this that would be good cos if my impression right and it's a largely town gimmick I'd happily suggest vigging the people who want somber dead.

I think there's some nice irony in Met being annoyed at people being rude to him after he told them he didn't care about being polite but I don't think it's worth vigging him.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Dr. Hurt posted:

Merk in xmen when he was the Beast. He kept posting winney the pooh meets Dr. Hank McCoy fan fiction.

Those were in two different games, he lied about being beast in x-men, feigned a beast-related meltdown after he realised he's claimed to be beast and town but also claimed not to have read his PM yet, but he posted the Pooh meets Beast fanfic in fanfic mafia, he was scum in both though.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Dugong posted:

So scum don't know each other. What do we think is the advantage for them to balance this out?

I'm not sure it would be more vanilla mafia than normal as the gimmick would then become SKs who have to share a kill.

I'm thinking stronger powers for the mafia instead. This has the additional problem of town powers being devalued by role blockers, drivers etc. It could just be they get more shots of their powers.

The randomly selected night is interesting. Combined with not knowing each other it opens up the possibility of scum killing their own members.

More shots, better powers, greater numbers - it could be any or all of them, given they are blind not even the scum themselves would actually know.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Lifehack - Next time you see something you don't care about don't make the effort to comment on it as it invites further responses on the topic.

I don't like the way Hiipfire is about and posting but exclusively about how he wants other people to stop talking about things he's not interested in rather than bringing up stuff that he thinks is worth discussing/doing anything useful ##vote HiipFire

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Asiina posted:

I agree with Ernie. Anyone who is super obviously town is an easy coordinated attack for scum. The more doubt scum has that town players are actually town, the more likely scum are to hit their own with the night kill.

Everyone needs to walk this line, not just scum.

This works the other way round as well the more doubt town has about who the scum are the more likely we are to lynch town - We could just as easily split uncoordinated votes by the majority of us being "obviously" towny as by all playing borderline scummy and loving up the ability to scumhunt.

I think ecco's right on the money, both about this and about ernie's full-claim proposal being terrible.

But I also note that Hiipfire did a yuming on me and hasn't come back to give any opinions on anything so more people should start voting him imo.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
So if we lynch someone who has volunteered do we instantly lose the challenge?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Opopanax posted:

##vote punt Ok even I got that. The rules are clearly laid out on this same page. You are playing ignorant to make yourself look towny.

I don't think it's particularly towny to be hungover and not read things properly but whatever.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Opopanax posted:

I did but then I got yelled at and voted :qq:

Have you stopped to consider you should feel bad for being terrible?

Merk, I'm not opposed to voting Ixt but I'd much rather be voting hiipfire or opop right now. Can I sell you on either of these two ding-dongs?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Ixtlilton posted:

Also Meinberg's latest post reads like my writing in highschool: way too many commas.

What are you trying to say here?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Asiina posted:

Deadline is today so we should probably start talking.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

bowmore posted:

and then proceeds to say nothing

I was waiting to see if anyone was about.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
The problem I have with ernie's logic, ignoring the fullclaim thing/joke, is that even if perhaps it would maximise our chances as town to confuse scum and hope this leads them to make mistakes with the NK it'd make the game a war of attrition that could become a blind crapshoot as far as scumhunting goes and possibly really drawn out and boring.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Ernie. posted:

how else is a game where the scum don't know each other going to play out???

we'll just divine the identity of the scums one after the other flawlessly?

also confused scum are going to make mistakes during the night-time and during the day time. they vote twice!!!

Well catching them all d1 would be ideal obviously. But seriously, your criticism applies to your own scheme we're also confused and we're intentionally complicating our lynches, so yes they vote twice but will still presumably be the minority so we can't assume confusing them will result in successful lynches and mistargeted NKs anymore than us divining scum identities through magic is a thing that works. I think your idea is a delaying tactic more than a recipe for success.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Dr. Hurt posted:

Ixt thoughts:

This is the only thing pinging my scumdar right now about Ixt's posts. "this guy is scum, okay see ya!" He never ends up explaining why. I guess you could say throughout his posts he's just dropping reads to make it seem like he's dropping reads and not actually giving any explanation.

I don't think his side chatting is scummy, especially this early in the game. There was nothing wrong with vodkachat or Opop chat. Although him getting mad at Ernie for saying that he was scummy seems like he is on a hair trigger. But I do remember him getting easily frustrated. I'm not really seeing him being scum.

Somber on a side note I'm so bummed that you had to drop your Terrordon PR because you have no access to a laptop.

I'd agree his side chatting is no problem but there is definitely legitimate grounds to criticise his supposed game-related posts, I'll not rehash what's already been said by others but his recent responses have been really unimpressive as well:

Ixtlilton posted:

To lynch town D1, sure.
variants on "I'm town" are the most worthless defences to make, you might as well say nothing if you don't argue why, or even better make genuine reads and cases and let your work speak for itself, but he didn't he felt the need to post something worthless instead, which is pretty much how I feel about this next one too:

Ixtlilton posted:

Also Meinberg's latest post reads like my writing in highschool: way too many commas. Opop is a good person too, although terrible he is a man who does things and therefore cannot be lynched. I'd vote Punti just based his "I'd vote" post and his reasoning for the other guy.
He talks about meinberg's comma usage, why? Is he trying to outdo hal's "I found the use of italics suspicious" argument as most facile reasoning employed in mafia ever? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say no but then it means he's just noticed meinberg posted before him and wanted people to think he was paying attention by commenting on it. Next, now we all like opop, he's a cool guy but that's all this read is saying; it relies on nothing game-related and uses no analysis or reasoning to argue against lynching him. Finally he finishes with an OMGUS, where he doesn't even follow through and vote me, but he doesn't bother justifying what he thinks is wrong with my reasoning about voting hiipfire. ##vote Ixt

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Ixtlilton posted:

I talked about Meinberg's comma useage because it was atrocious, did you read his sentence? It's not even a game thing it's a written English thing. Also, it's not a game unless f_v and I think each other are scum, so it's good to see we have a game going here. And in case you don't know my meta at all, my meta is that I don't vote until really late. And I'm not going to justify disagreeing with your read on a guy with like a paragraph written in this game.

Deadline's in two hours, right?

Yes.

The thing is though of you don't bother explaining the problem you have with my read then how can I or anyone else judge whether the complaint's genuine or not? I didn't like him making GBS threads on activity in the thread without doing anything himself and his last post seemed like a promise of effort in the future as a substitution for doing anything, these are both things I've seen scum do and I think it's fair to call it out and vote someone based on this, if you are gonna say my reasoning is worth voting for me over the onus is on you to argue this isn't true and let the arguments be judged on their merits but you didn't bother so it just looks like a lazy OMGUS sans vote.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
*if not of

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Ixtlilton posted:

The activity was witchhunting that ended in a D1 dayvig ending as D1 dayvigs tend to. He hasn't posted anything since then though, but same with like half the thread. Including the octopus dude who had a weird jokevote fight with a dude and I thought they were scum together until I realized the scum don't know each other.

It was before the vig, discussing how players play, even though it was in the context of this guy is an arse, is potentially as much informative meta as it is "drama" - if you have the time to post "no one cares", you are clearly paying enough attention to think we could be discussing something you think is useful and could say as much rather than just shut up. You realise that I'm the guy who had the jokevote exchange with EXAKT (the octopus dude) right?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Hey Cpig will you count opop's misformatted vote?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
I guess it doesn't matter either way now.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
While I don't think limiting ourselves to the volunteers is a great idea, I do need to highlight one thing of vital importance:

EccoRaven posted:

I know there's a number of players chomping at the bit to find any reason to vote me

The correct phrase is CHAMPING, not CHOMPING, at the bit.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

I'm not sure what I should be sucking, the fact your own article says champing at the bit is the original expression or the part where it says that using it is the better choice for dealing with readers who are versed in English?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
There's something I don't get about opop's case, we are supposed to take the fact that JJ doesn't mention opop as a volunteer he thinks is scummy as suspicious, so in this scenario he votes opop and calls him scum repeatedly yesterday but then decides overnight to drop this position and not comment on it again? Or he simply forgets because he wasn't actually invested in what he was saying?

Also saying JJ bent over backwards to blame ernie doesn't really ring true to me either.

merk posted:

This dude is another scum.

Why?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

EccoRaven posted:

I just want someone to talk to who isn't a loon :(

You're on the wrong forums then

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Monathin posted:

Got my role and I am in fact the volcano.

The volcano is a separate entity from the island because

Was this a serious claim and are you the same volcano that the event was centred around?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Hey somb, do you still think dugong is scum?

Peta posted:

Just vote him dude

Eh, I'd say he seems more awkward than scummy at the moment.

However,

bowmore posted:

I agree with this

##vote Ernie

bowmore posted:

I could go Ixt
I feel bowmore is trying pretty hard to fly just under the radar, expressing a desire not to die when vig targets were discussed without really contributing to the discussion and agreeing with other peoples' cases on the vote-leaders are basically all that he's done so far. Let's: ##vote bowmore

Also what are the chances in other peoples' opinions of town getting both a day and a night vig in a game this size (with an SK too)? I'm thinking meinberg may be worth scrutinising as well, if he is a bad dude there's the possibility that he's got more than the one-shot he claimed and that could come back to haunt us.

I'm off to bed now.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Hey somber, did you see my question to you?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Somberbrero posted:

Probably. He contributed to a no-lynch yesterday and is ignoring a lot of the relevant content today to push a non-starter.

That seems standard for the game so far, though. I feel like the town isn't communicating well.

If I could lynch everyone who didn't bother voting/turning up yesterday I would but it's probably not the best strategy. In his defence though I don't really care to lynch any of the people involved in the major arguments of today either, ecco's too abrasive for his own good but not scummy imo and the cases on JJ and monathin aren't great so I can't blame him for pushing someone else, not least cos I'd be willing to go back to Hiipfire myself if no one has any interest in lynching bowmore. This of course would put hiipfire joint leader at the moment, so he's no more a non-starter than the rest of them.

I think one of our major problems is we've had a lot of promises for rereads and cases and very little delivery on that front, the other major problem is players not even bothering to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Short of some dramatic incriminating development/scumclaim I'm really not willing to vote ecco today.

Also I'd quite like to hear more from asiina both about her reasons for voting and the game in general.

• Locked thread