Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I've played Mafia games before, but never Goon Mafia games.

Let's rumble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Met posted:

That's great. Maybe as this one is wrapping up you'd consider checking out some of our other games.

Mafia New Game Announcement Thread
Mafia Discussion Thread

I was lurking that thread for a couple days, I was actually halfway thinking of the CYOPerhero mafia game but showed up a bit late to the party.

Regardless I am totally on board with Monster Island madness.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

We're all Millers. Didn't you hear? This is Miller Mafia.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Got my role and I am in fact the volcano.

The volcano is a separate entity from the island because

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Maybe it's just me being a rookie, but that sounds awfully specific and contrived.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I've kept up to date on the thread and have read all the poets thus far, but any hunches I have are kept close to my chest for now.

I knew Ecco was bluffing you all, though. :colbert:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I think that Ernie's right, because anyone who seems super town-sided would be easy enough to pick as a target even with a mafia that doesn't know each other, and obfuscating your intentions to some degree helps keep the mafia from being able to make coordinated decisions.

I do think "therefore fullclaim" is a loving bonkers logical endpoint to take that, however, but at the same time with dayvig already burned on a townie (if admittedly one nobody liked). If we mess up and just playing by his own rules (IE, seem scummy to draw attention away from scum trying to target him), then we're down two townies on day one going into night one. That strikes me as... suboptimal at best.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Monathin posted:

I think that Ernie's right, because anyone who seems super town-sided would be easy enough to pick as a target even with a mafia that doesn't know each other, and obfuscating your intentions to some degree helps keep the mafia from being able to make coordinated decisions.

I do think "therefore fullclaim" is a loving bonkers logical endpoint to take that, however, but at the same time with dayvig already burned on a townie (if admittedly one nobody liked) I'm not really sure that's enough to vote Ernie. If we mess up and Ernie's just playing by his own rules (IE, seem scummy to draw attention away from scum trying to target him), then we're down two townies on day one going into night one. That strikes me as... suboptimal at best.

Wow this post is loving incomprehensible in some places, Edit By Way Of Post.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Admittedly I've mostly played it offline with friends. It's a different beast offline.

Also you complain about circlejerk when you're nearly taking up this whole page hahaha good poo poo

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

merk posted:

##vote Ecco

Why're you voting Ecco? We know who hit Ernie, if that's what you mean.

Poison Mushroom posted:

I have two confessions to make.

First, I have barely been reading the thread, because of complicated real life bullshit that have got me avoiding anything too complex or straining. (This is also why I haven't updated my games yet.) So, I skimmed, and I'm going on gut reads, because that's all I've got.

Second, I already put in my night action. I said I can punch monsters, and I told the truth.

I punched Ernie.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Puntification posted:

Was this a serious claim and are you the same volcano that the event was centred around?

Man if I had known that there was going to be an actual volcano event I would have claimed I was a psychic instead. :shobon:

(No, it wasnt serious, I was helping run the jokes on that page into the ground.)

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Peta posted:

Hi Monathin.

Don't be a gently caress; answer this question! :buddy:

Ive been reading the goon mafia wiki off and on as there are some terms I'm unfamiliar with that you guys use, though the basic stuff is still more or less clear to me. I'm slowly getting the hang of it, though.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Also my secret hunches basically boiled down to Ecco being too overambitious to scumhunt, but I think those are kind of a moot point since it seems like Ecco was being earnest. I didn't really want to jump into it because I wasn't really prepared enough to have a conversation, but it probably didnt need saying. I'm also on my phone which makes things a bit harder.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Peta posted:

Hey Monathin did you come by EBWOP in a wiki article

Yeah, since the rules stated in the OP were "standard Mafia rules apply with a list of exceptions" and I am -notoriously- edit-heavy in my posts on other parts of the forums since I tend to make a bunch of mistakes (see: The post I did for EBWOP, which had like half a sentence of two separate sentences missing).

I am trying to keep up with this thread, I've just been busy this last week, but I guess I can put forth some stuff I've been dwelling on.

- I assume Hiipfire has been busy, but they said they wanted to put together some cases on the volcano group, which was full of the more active types. There's no real saying if there was someone in there who is still alive who is scum, since Ernie was in that group and -could- have voted Sabotage, but there may yet be someone from that group who, currently, looks scummier than Ernie did D1. I don't think hunting exclusively in the volcano group is necessarily the right call, but I think there's something there. I'd do it myself if I could make better cases.

- I generally agree with what merk is saying regarding how scum would be playing, ideally. Of course, this doesn't necessarily mean that all mafia are going to play this way, but ideally they're all trying to figure out who is mafia without throwing themselves under the bus to defend someone wh comes off as obviously scummy or whatever.

Somberbrero posted:

Do you consider your previous feelings on Ecco invalid, since he was casing a not-town but not-mafia player? If so, why? Do you have any thoughts on my posts about Ecco? Who are you going to vote today?

I think Ecco is earnest about hunting anyone who isn't town, and while that's mostly a gut feeling, I'm not sure I could make a compelling argument of what he's doing that's outright scummy, except for maybe "if he's leading discussion so much, why didn't the mafia gun for him day one?" In my experiences offline, usually the discussion leader early on is one of the first to bite it, unless someone is actively protecting them. Doubly so since an Ecco death could have shifted blame to Ernie in the event they were still alive.

However, weren't there three deaths last night? Then again, there is an unknown number of vigs, so there could have been more and maybe the scum -did- go after Ecco. There's not enough data to prove that either way, and I'd say the absence of targeting Ecco would prove as suspicion in a sort of "absence of attention" way.

Somberbrero posted:

Who do you think is scum, Mona?

Asiina or possibly SoS. Both seem to be kind of just dropping in to throw a sort of bandwagon vote and then immediately vanishing off again, which sort of makes me suspicious. Admittedly, I'm more inclined to vote Asiina because they're trying to make a case for Ecco when I don't see it and haven't put forth the effort you been having, which strikes me as insincere.

Peta also makes me a bit suspicious since they have a whole lot of posts that essentially amount to trying to shut down excessive discussion, which strikes me as a bit odd. Admittedly, there could be bias there since they did try to vote me and instigate others to do the same. Not really enough to make a case out of though, in my opinion.

I -do- think Ecco isn't scum, I think he's abrasive and thus an easy target to be piled onto, and if I were scum I'd be waiting on the sidelines letting to see if he's going to hang himself with the rope he's been given, so to speak.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

By "absence of attention" I mean more that the longer the game goes on the more likely it might seem that Ecco is scum due to spearheading suggestions for so long and not attracting scum attention.

Also is Hiipfire doesnt come forth with volcano cases or doesnt say they arent working on them due to having new evidence to follow I'd just as likely consider them to be scum as well, honestly.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Anyway I have to be up in like six hours to go to work so I'll catch you guys later.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I'm not entirely sold on JJ's case, I'm not entirely sure why. But, hey, until he comes forward...

##vote Hiipfire

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Still not sure on JJ, but Asiina I've got a good feeling about.

Ffffuck it

##vote Asiina

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Knew there was a reason I didn't like the JJ vote.

##vote Asiina

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Yeah sure why not.

##vote meinberg

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

With everyone jumping from Asiina (who a good majority was/is convinced is scum) to Meinberg (for the sake of essentially lynching someone who was not participating at all except for some dayvigs), I figured it was kosher to change my vote for that sake. I'm not sure I've been flying that under the radar, though I was relatively inactive during the last day (and the previous day I was actually fairly active, although with Ecco posting everywhere it might have got lost in the shuffle).

I still think Asiina is scum, for the record, and I have had them pretty high on my list for a while now. If you're looking for someone who's scum trying to fly under the radar, I'd pick them before trying to build a case on me.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

You were until everyone called you out on that, Asiina and then you posted up a storm that amounted to basically nothing and laughing at people who were voting you, and your only real votes have been either Ixt (who you claim is scum) or self-preservation votes on whoever leads the vote that isn't you. I think that's incredibly suspicious, especially since you've dropped the Ixt case with little fanfare when you said "I will vote Ixt until I die."

Also I suppose that's fair, Somber. I didn't think I was lurking that hard, but I thought that Asiina was an easy vote yesterday due to past scummy behavior and kind of tuned out, and then Meinberg stuff happened and it all went to hell.

I still think that Asiina has far more incriminating evidence on them than I do, though I'll admit that I've been in and out of this game in terms of participation.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

There was also a lot of bad posts by Asiina while she was saving herself that I think are a lot more incriminating of her behavior but, I guess yes, that is essentially what I'm saying.

She reacted to everyone voting her in a way that came off, to me, as incredibly scummy and "oh poo poo, I've been caught, better distract them with copied posts from the 2+2 thread" and other such short posts. She's come off as fishing for a case on Ixt (and before that was voting Ecco with very little evidence as well), it seems, to me at least, like someone who was trying to either A) Find an easy target to jump on the bandwagon on or B) fishing desperately for a case for someone who seemed scummy enough that a bandwagon could be instigated.

I do not think the storm of posting Asiina had after being vote leader is the kind of posting you'd expect from someone who's town. That's my hunch, at least. It seems like a bit of a meltdown.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Almost exactly five and a half hours from now (It's currently 5:30 PM EST)

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Somberbrero posted:

This point might just be confirmation bias, but it is unusual you'd comment on the time and not that your top scum candidate just got cleared by an investigation.

Yeah I meant to make a post about that earlier but yeah, guess this clears Asiina. I dunno, I thought it was a good hunch! :downs:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Ixtlilton posted:

Might wanna read the whole thread there dude.

Oh, right, yeah. The alignment switching. That's uh, interesting. I've been trying to figure out how that impacts stuff and figure things out from there. I've never had experience with that before so I'm a bit stumped.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Oh, right. Ugh, that's another point, sorry. I've been completely unable to focus on the game in a meaningful way, I'm getting back into it now but there are clear holes in what I'm trying to put together now.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Are we just lynching whoever is clearly going to be inactive? Day before Thanksgiving of all days?

I mean, I'll do it, but I won't like it.

##vote The Science of Suck

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

fiery_valkyrie posted:

My preference is Opop and then you, will you vote either of those?

Didn't Opop claim Jailer? Though I guess in the interests of self-preservation I'll stick with SoS or Opop.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

fiery_valkyrie posted:

His claiming jailer means nothing. He could have that role as scum. He could be lying about jailing Asiina.

That's true, I suppose, but I feel like Opop is earnest, that's what my read tells me. I think SoS has been kind of hanging around on the fringes and not really contributing much and, while lynching someone who's being pulled away from the game due to Thanksgiving makes me feel bad, I think he's probably the shadiest-seeming of the three of us, strictly speaking.

Also, since Somber is asking for claims, I'll state I'm a 2-Shot Roleblocker. I used my first on Asiina (probably not the wisest move ever), and still have one more.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I blocked Asiina Night 2, after we lynched JJ instead at the last second. Should've specified, but otherwise correct.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

And what's your claim then, bowmore?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

bowmore posted:

interesting engagement strategy, how's it working out for you?

Funny you say that when you're refusing to claim, but I think it's going alright.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Your story stinks, bowmore. Between you barely having poked your head in to vote until today despite saying you'd have the free time to play and the fact that you've barely even attempted to case anyone on your own, plus not wanting to claim when most people already have.

##vote bowmore

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Honestly I just wanted to say "your story stinks".

I still think you're scum though.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

It's a lurker vote, I don't really care either way if you're voting for me, but I think based on how you've been active in the game that there's something scummy there.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Also I had to look up OMGUS I won't lie.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I mayyy have played up my inexperience with the online format of mafia a bit. :shobon:

I am kind of surprised I managed to keep a hunch on two of my fellow scumbuds, though. I felt confident Bowmore was scum and at least tried a meta where I tried my hardest to be town even if I was suspicious myself. It seemed to work well enough for my survival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

bowmore posted:

yeah I knew you were scum, thus why I backed off

yeah I kinda figured that if the game didn't end I had made enough of a nuisance of myself to get lynched the next day so I'd try to make as much noise as possible. I didn't post nearly as much as I should have though. Sorry f_v.

(Also for the record I claimed roleblocker because I used to play on Epicmafia with some acquaintences on other boards and there was always a Drunk/Townie Roleblocker in every game so I thought it was a safe bet)

• Locked thread