Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I'll reluctantly play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Vig Met. Last time he was scum he lurked and poo poo on people. Last time he was town he lurked and poo poo on people.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I'm talking about this game where Met lurked the entire time and then launched personal attacks against winvirus and me when we tried to get him to play. You could arguably excuse his play because he was scum, but then he double downed on it in end game by attacking us again for calling him on it.

ninja: read the whole page, not just the post I linked.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Ixtlilton posted:

I have heard Ernie say before that he only claims SK when he's not town. But then I read some more and he claimed it before he got his role pm. Why would you shoot Somberbrero? He's just chilling. Also, Monathin is town, thank me later. You could vig Met I don't remember him all that well has he posted? Apparently he used an incorrect gender pronoun and then was a dick about it. I'm also going to a hockey game tomorrow with some people and maybe it'll be okay but I'm worried our team sucks this year because all of Michigan's teams suck this year. We'll see.

Is anyone around?

Also, the psychadelic octopus is the only person who's pinged me at all for scum.

Ixtlilton posted:

In my brief skim of Met's play in a Star Trek game he didn't seem that hard to read or as bad as you guys are saying. Can I get linked to objectionable material?
In other news, this dude is scum. ##vote Ixt

These posts serve no purpose but try to look like they're helpful.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

EccoRaven posted:

Removing worthless, obnoxious, or toxic players is the job of vigilantes (and good-hearted scum), not the town.

Which is why my comments were appropriate in the vigilante discussion.

What do you think of Ixt?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I kind of want to act scummy so the scum team thinks I'm scum and avoids nightkilling me.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Meinberg posted:

Well, Ecco has failed us. It's time for Meinberg to shine.

You can just call me a Social Justice... Vigilante.

##shoot Met

Meinberg for President 2016

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I don't think Ernie's mindset is a town mindset. I completely don't agree with his argument that town should try to look a little scummy. I think he is approaching the game from a mindset of how, as scum, does he identify his buddies.

##vote Ernie

I generally disfavor arguments that are based on disagreements over general mafia theory. I also disagree with Ernie, but I don't think he's scum for trying to advance that strategy. A better argument for Ernie being scum would be what Ecco said on the last page. What do you think about that argument?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Unless you're calling someone scum because of the preexisting discussion of the Ernie strat, let's stop talking about the Ernie strat.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Vote Ixt.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Puntification posted:

Have you stopped to consider you should feel bad for being terrible?

Merk, I'm not opposed to voting Ixt but I'd much rather be voting hiipfire or opop right now. Can I sell you on either of these two ding-dongs?

Probably not Opo.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Ernie. posted:

up next: merk, he's playing at a safe distance. one page before my theory of everything this game should be, merk himself agreed that everyone needs to act a little scummy

but then when I made a post declaring it he stays back and goes 'let's discuss whether ernie is scummy'. eventually noticing that when there's a little momentum on me, he doesn't actually need to push it, which is why his most recent post is 'what do we think of ixt' not 'i think ixt is a better target than ernie because i agree with ernie'

and ecco ties in here, too:

ecco's read every post in this thread, but he felt like i'm an easier target to build momentum on than merk. that's why when both merk and i said the same thing, he chose to call me scummy for it instead of merk

I don't think you're scummy for advancing the game theory. The only post I found that is semi persuasive for why you might be scum is this post:

EccoRaven posted:

"I just want us to remember that there probably aren't watchers or trackers!"

- doesn't help us find scum.

"Cops are probably more likely scum than town!"

"I am a dumb butt whose face is a butt and my words are farts and also I have a butt on my butt"

All it does is risk a townie saying "actually, I'm a tracker," or "I'm a cop and town," even if obliquely. It just plain isn't helpful.

So everyone stop, and also consider voting Ernie because wow.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

merk posted:

I generally disfavor arguments that are based on disagreements over general mafia theory. I also disagree with Ernie, but I don't think he's scum for trying to advance that strategy. A better argument for Ernie being scum would be what Ecco said on the last page. What do you think about that argument?

I even mention what I said in my last post here.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Ernie. posted:

just because ecco appended 'doesn't help us find scum' to a bunch of my words

a) doesn't make it true
b) and even if it were true doesn't make me scummy

if the logic is that things that don't progress The General State of Scumhunting are inherently scummy, then everyone who hasn't posted is scummy

This is a ridiculous post, friend.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Ernie. posted:

more to the point

merk you yourself have scumhunted before by seeing what people are willing to do/not do around/about you

what do you think of this?

ignore the difference between my and your case and the way i went about mine. ecco absolutely ignored that you yourself advocated people act a little scummy/didn't confront you with it

I think Ecco is scummy if he thinks the case on you, built solely from that game theory stuff, is the strongest case of the day.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

EccoRaven posted:

I think Ernie wants us to deliberately play sub-optimally ("scummy") because he's genuinely afraid he won't be able to post townie this game, so if he gets even a few townies to follow him he'll get to hide better.

I mean think about it, if the scum never know the others' identities, then us playing like scum makes the game a crapshoot

To be more clear, this post is a "pretty scummy post" as far as scummy posts go. I find it hard to believe that Ecco legitimately believes this ridiculous argument.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
The thing about Ecco is that there's no way you're going to get him lynched day 1, so you may as well forget about it until later. Ixt, however, is definitely a dude we can get lynched on day 1.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

merk posted:

The thing about Ecco is that there's no way you're going to get him lynched day 1, so you may as well forget about it until later. Ixt, however, is definitely a dude we can get lynched on day 1.

Well, I guess in this game since the scum don't even know each other, the traditional stuff you kind of have to throw out the window. I don't really even know how we scum hunt in this game after today. I usually look for connections.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

EccoRaven posted:

("Playing like town" means posting often, not hiding their thoughts, and being sincere in their scumhunting. It's harder than a normal game because of the lack of connections, but if town actually rolls up their sleeves and tries, it really won't be that bad.)

If I was scum this game, I'd probably get nightkilled by the scum.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Dr. Hurt posted:

I dunno why you'd jynx it but I know you could always "jinx" it. It seems so petty for me to say that a two vote (edit: now one vote) lead when it's a 4 v. 2 scenario is this make him the easiest to vote off. Technically yes but we are still a long long way to go.

Dr. Hurt posted:

Thank god you are here telling us what is good and what is not good. We would be lost like babes in the wood if you weren't here telling us when something is a good thing or a bad thing. Tell us more, oh great Ecco.

Dr. Hurt posted:

You are just mafiadadding pretty hard and are pretty condescending in the process and I am not a fan of it.

What are you doing?

Who would switch to Hurt? This poo poo is unhelpful.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Yeah.... ##vote Dr. Hurt

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Dr. Hurt posted:

This is the only thing pinging my scumdar right now about Ixt's posts.

I guarantee to you that Dr. Hurt is scum based on this sentence.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I've been convinced of myself before, but this might be the most convinced I've been of myself on a day 1 case in many a month.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

merk posted:

I guarantee to you that Dr. Hurt is scum based on this sentence.

For those that don't get it, the scum mind set here is (and I did this myself and recently took it out of my game once I realized it): I really should look like I have something to say about the current majority lynch candidate. What can I say that is completely unhelpful but looks helpful?

Combine that with him willingly diving into an argument with Ecco that does not do even the slightest poo poo towards finding us scum and you have yourself an amazing d1 case - a d1 case that you should vote behind.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I AM SO RIGHT HERE

PLEASE

PLEASE GOONS

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Hurt is diving into this Ecco discussion and has not even voted anyone or explained to us who he thinks is scum. He is playing like a Survivor.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Man, I'll vote Ixt, but I am certain of Hurt.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
##vote Ixt

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Always bet on merk.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
##vote Ecco

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Opopanax posted:

I don't like that JJ made a big show of humming and hawing over who might have sabotaged the mission when I was on the vote and he was 100% convinced I was scum yesterday. To not even mention me now and bend over backwards trying to blame Ernie or at least look conflicted about it is suspicious.

Yeah, ##vote JJ

See you day 3.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I think JJ is scum based on Opo's case. I found the serial killer on day 1. I'm in a game on another forum with 6000 posts.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I may light up when I see more stuff.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Somberbrero posted:

Why is it not possible to use the challenge results to play mafia? Why are you choosing to frame the decision to scumhunt inside or outside of the challenge pool as a question of chance?

Why do you want Merk's input when he thinks or recently thought you're scum?

Why are you arguing this position when you haven't voiced any opinions on any challenge contributors today? You don't even seem very convinced in what you're saying, but then v:shobon:v I'm not a people person so who can say if my argument has any merit haha

This dude is another scum.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Ecco, how am I phoning it in when yesterday I caught the Serial Killer?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
If I was scum, since I don't know my scum buddies, I'd be playing this game like a Survivor. I wouldn't give a poo poo who got lynched as long as it wasn't me, and I'd look drat persuasive not giving any of that poo poo when I made cases. I wasn't using the SK thing to throw in your face as a LAMIST (hate that acronym) but more of a 'how can you say I'm not trying when my efforts got us the SK?'

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
wolfy

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
We're scum hunting in the wrong way. We need to be looking for people who are trying to find their scum buddies while themselves faking content. Ecco's d1 case on Ernie is a really lovely case, which is why I kind of think he's scum.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Like, yeah: ##vote Ecco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

merk posted:

We're scum hunting in the wrong way. We need to be looking for people who are trying to find their scum buddies while themselves faking content. Ecco's d1 case on Ernie is a really lovely case, which is why I kind of think he's scum.

To be clear, I don't think Ecco had any confidence whatsoever in his case. He found something that he could argue against from a general mafia principle, so he went down that road thinking it was likely that Ernie was not one of his buddies.

• Locked thread