Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
What is this?
Major League Baseball is sending a team of All-Stars to face off against the Japanese National team "Samurai Japan." You may or may not remember the last time something like this happened back in 2006,

When is this happening?
Here's a schedule of the games:
• Wednesday: Game No. 1 at Kyocera Dome, Osaka (6 p.m. JT/4 a.m. ET)
• Friday, Nov. 14: Game No. 2 at Tokyo Dome, Tokyo (6 p.m. JT/4 a.m. ET)
• Saturday, Nov. 15: Game No. 3 at Tokyo Dome, Tokyo (6 p.m. JT/4 a.m. ET)
• Sunday, Nov. 16: Game No. 4 at Tokyo Dome, Tokyo (6 p.m. JT/4 a.m. ET)
• Tuesday, Nov. 18: Game No. 5 at Sapporo Dome, Sapporo (7 p.m. JT/5 a.m. ET)
• Thursday, Nov. 20: Exhibition game vs. Samurai Japan, Okinawa Cellular Stadium, Okinawa (6 p.m. JT/4 a.m. ET)

Hey didn't this start yesterday?
Yes and no. Tuesday's featured the MLB All-Stars against a Japanese All-star team, but it was against a team made up of only players from the Yomiuri Giants and Hanshin Tigers. Real answer: Nobody made a thread.

Who all is playing?
The MLB Roster features such players as Yasiel Puig, Robinson Cano, Jose Altuve, Mark Melancon, Jose Veras, Jeremy Guthrie, Salvador Perez, and many more. The team is managed by John Farrell.

Where are these games being held?
In Japan, silly. Some information about the ballparks is here.

Are there any different rules I should be aware of?
Yes:

quote:

• Pitchers may not throw more than 80 pitches in a game. If a pitcher exceeds that limit while facing a batter, he is allowed to finish the plate appearance, but he must leave the game immediately upon its conclusion.
• If a pitcher throws more than 30 pitches in any one outing or appears in two consecutive games, he must have a day of rest before pitching again. This rule does not apply for either of the exhibition games (Nov. 11 and 20).
• The designated hitter will be in play in all games.
• If there is a tie after the 10th inning, the game will go into a tiebreak with runners on first and second base. The batting order will not change, with the two last batters from the previous inning starting on the bases. The game will end as a draw if both teams are tied after the 12th inning. The two exhibition games will end as a draw if tied after the ninth.

How can I watch this?
Subscribers to MLB.tv can watch every game for free using MLB.tv. Alternatively, the games will be broadcasted on MLB Network in the US.

If you happen to live in Japan, NTV, TV Asahi and TBS will share the live game broadcasts with NTV airing each of the first three games (Nov. 12-15), TV Asahi broadcasting the game on Nov. 16, and TBS covering each of the final two games (Nov. 18-20). MLB.TV subscribers in Japan also will be able to watch the live streams with no blackout restrictions.

If you happen to reside outside of both the US and Japan, you can watch the series on either MLB.tv or on one of the following networks:
• MBC Sports+ (South Korea)
• Fox Sports Asia (Pan-Asia)
• Fox Sports Europe (Netherlands, Italy, Turkey, Cyprus, Malta)
• Fox Sports Latin America (Pan-Latin America)
• ESPN Pac Rim (Australia, New Zealand)
• RDS (Canada)
• UTS (Aruba, Curacao, St. Maarten, Bonaire).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
I have had all of 4 hours sleep in the past 24 hours. I will most likely get no sleep other than a brief nap for the next 20.

Considering that I'm already having internet issues, staying up to watch this game is most likely the dumbest thing I have ever done, and considering some of the stuff I've done that's saying a lot.

But baseball in November?
:getin:

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Let's go :japan:

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.
The last baseball I see until February in this series. Better bases-ball it up dudes.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I haven't stayed up until 4 am in a while, but fuckit, I want to watch this game live.

The games are getting replayed at 6pm/9pm, for anyone who doesn't want to be awake at this ungodly hour.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I can't enjoy sports on tape delay. It's just not the same.

Chance for Japan here!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Japan's second baseman made a gorgeous play.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
Do my eyes deceive me or are the MLB players wearing ads on their jerseys?

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

Do my eyes deceive me or are the MLB players wearing ads on their jerseys?

Nah they definitely have patches on their sleeves. I hadn't noticed.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

That was the slickest 6-4 fielder's choice I've ever seen and would've been an amazing DP if they'd turned it.

Edit: Escobar and Cano are a slick combination, but the Japanese players don't hit the ball hard enough for DPs.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Nov 12, 2014

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
Now that I'm thinking about it, the managerial choice had to be done at the beginning of the year, as I can think of no other reason why John "71-91" Farrell is managing the best of Major League Baseball.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

Now that I'm thinking about it, the managerial choice had to be done at the beginning of the year, as I can think of no other reason why John "71-91" Farrell is managing the best of Major League Baseball.

Ron Washington was originally announced as the manager. Although that just raises more questions.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Ohtani's warming up in the bullpen.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I love submarine pitching.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Norimoto is perfect through 5 innings.

Sadly 80 pitch limit means he won't finish the game (he's at 60) but one hell of a performance so far for him.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
3 outs from a no-hitter! I wonder if we get a free pizza.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Nishino closes out the no-no, with some help from Kikuchi. Amazing all around.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Am I crazy? Do they not have the starting pitchers for tonight listed anywhere on MLB's website? I know Iwakuma is going for MLB but I'm curious who the Samurai starter is.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

The Nards Pan posted:

Am I crazy? Do they not have the starting pitchers for tonight listed anywhere on MLB's website? I know Iwakuma is going for MLB but I'm curious who the Samurai starter is.

Iwakuma went game before last, tonight it's the Chris Capuano Experience vs Shintaro Fujinami.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Thanks, I guess I really have no idea what's going on. Has Kenta Maeda gone yet?

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Yep.

Game 5 will be Otani.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I don't think a sweep is happening...

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

Time to die.
I had to miss out on last night's game and I missed this:

And a Melancon appearance but I'm more angry about missing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Hope Japan can at least put up a run after Kikuchi's leadoff triple.... I'd be sad if their offense just died after game 3.

e: Well, there it is.

• Locked thread