Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
When I was a kid, we had games. Some games were better than others, and some games were the best, but we didn't feel a need to put a label on them. Then when I was a teenager people started using the term "AAA". It meant Mario, Zelda, Halo and Half-Life. That was it. MAYBE Metal Gear. Maybe. Nowadays, people are using it for any game with an MSRP over $10. People are calling Assassin's Creed "AAA". Assassin's Creed. It needs to stop. I understand that it costs a lot of money to make a real game these days and I guess we need a way to differentiate them from indie/mobile/Facebook garbage, but there's got to be a word or a phrase we can use that isn't so loving retarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
assassin's creed is one of the biggest franchises though

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

MondayHotDog posted:

When I was a kid, we had games. Some games were better than others, and some games were the best, but we didn't feel a need to put a label on them. Then when I was a teenager people started using the term "AAA". It meant Mario, Zelda, Halo and Half-Life. That was it. MAYBE Metal Gear. Maybe. Nowadays, people are using it for any game with an MSRP over $10. People are calling Assassin's Creed "AAA". Assassin's Creed. It needs to stop. I understand that it costs a lot of money to make a real game these days and I guess we need a way to differentiate them from indie/mobile/Facebook garbage, but there's got to be a word or a phrase we can use that isn't so loving retarded.

I didn't read this.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
it's like egg rating

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Endorph posted:

assassin's creed is one of the biggest franchises though

Yeah but it sucks.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Its wide use reflects a market reality: low-tier and middle-tier games have mostly disappeared. Most of the games people talk about now are AAA.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

MondayHotDog posted:

Yeah sure thing tiny Achewood avatar guy with Hot Dog in his name. Mucho heed paid to this sage advice from the man with a potty mouth and some words to say about the gaming industry.

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo-x0IlgrE0

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
AAA just loving means "big budget," is that so hard to get. It's shorthand for "triple-A production quality," in particular big flashy graphics, explosive setpieces, professional voice acting, etc. Nobody ever in the history of the known universe has assumed it is indicative of actual gameplay quality.

The op is an idiot

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

yeah you don't know video games op

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

AAA means major publisher.

Indie means like 3 guys in a basement.

middleware doesn't really exist anymore.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Mach2 posted:

The op is an idiot
This is true of most posts.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

AAA posting

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
AAA is an indicator of budget, not quality.

Real hurthling! posted:

Middleware still exists, it's companies like inXile or Larian.

Falsum fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 12, 2014

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Mach2 posted:

Nobody ever in the history of the known universe has assumed it is indicative of actual gameplay quality.

except maybe the gaming public at large. those poor folks...

Mach2 posted:

The op is an idiot

Now this I can get behind.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

The thumbnail looks like the guy has an unhinged jaw and is screaming at you.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

Exactly this, but not at all, because it's wrong as hell. Games like, say the Persona and Disgaea series aren't "AAA" games despite decent budgets and good exposure. Some more Non-AAA, Non-Indie Games include Dynasty Warriors, Psychonauts, Saints Row 1 and 2, anything by Suda51, etc etc I'm bored of this.

Schnedwob posted:

except maybe the gaming public at large. those poor folks...

gently caress normies

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

Humphrey Vasel posted:

The thumbnail looks like the guy has an unhinged jaw and is screaming at you.

Maybe if you are brain damaged.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Mach2 posted:

gently caress normies

Link 23:24 says "Gamer, forgive them, for they know not they are fail."

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Ok. I'll stop using the term "AAA" for every loving game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

"The games that are expensive and famous now are not the same ones from my childhood. Please make it the 90s again for me, a 90s kid. P.S. I'm the guy who sucks." -- the OP

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Help guys. I got angry and confused at the OP's bullshit and said something irredeemable to a AAA Agent.

Whats the apology etiquette for telling a customer service rep, that they aren't a retarded no0b?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I get that "big budget" needs a name, but why can't that name be "big budget"?

What I'm saying is that "AAA" isn't descriptive at all. I mean, what's a "AA" game? What's an "A" game? Are there "B" and "C" games? The "AAA" moniker implies all those things and yet none of them exist.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Nov 12, 2014

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

AAA is the XXX of gaming

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

speaking of AAA games, have you checked out binding of isaac rebirth, it's pretty cheap for a AAA game

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I was just thinking we need another word for something we already have a perfectly descriptive word for, as understood by people without brain damage.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
rumble roses is a DDD game

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

thuly posted:

rumble roses is a DDD game
:wiggle:

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
most video game terminology is loving stupid, i mean video games are inherently stupid in nature anyway but the most stupidity of all is when journalists talk about them

i mean, "cutscene", where the gently caress did that come from, it's just two random film making words stuck together

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Abandon posted:

i mean, "cutscene", where the gently caress did that come from, it's just two random film making words stuck together
It came from the fact that there was a cut away from gameplay and then a scene would play. The guys behind Maniac Mansion came up with it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Great Joe posted:

It came from the fact that there was a cut away from gameplay and then a scene would play. The guys behind Maniac Mansion came up with it.
Maniac Mansion, where the gently caress did that come from, it's just two random M words stuck together.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
I've often wondered what it would be like to learn English through osmosis.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Schnedwob posted:

Link 23:24 says "Gamer, forgive them, for they know not they are fail."

Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your rear end

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
Where is the OP and are they ashamed of themselves?

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

"The games that are expensive and famous now are not the same ones from my childhood. Please make it the 90s again for me, a 90s kid. P.S. I'm the guy who sucks." -- the OP

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I was just thinking we need another word for something we already have a perfectly descriptive word for, as understood by people without brain damage.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

EA said a couple months back that they are working on the worlds first AAAA game and I kinda wonder what happened with it.

e: microsoft not ea

Plebian Parasite fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
That was some sweet AAA self-ownage OP.

• Locked thread