Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Also...taking suggestions for low-key, pleasant tunes for me to stick in place of the battle preparation music (like where I put the Metroid music in this video)

Low-key video game music like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23M9j8Rc_0c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_nDadpGCEg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5fNnRUhpdQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMEb6XXXi08
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f6siAA3C9M

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Yeah, feel free to unhide them, it makes finding a video easier for everyone.

(Also it lets me catch up on mobile easier)

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Youtube lets you view videos before they're finished fully processing, yes.

namad
Nov 7, 2013
Yes HD takes longer to process, fresh videos in my sub box are often only in low resolution at first.

I personally like listed videos because if you're not hiding a secret why not? It makes it easier to binge watch the LP for people who want to catch up later? I'm not an lp'er though so I don't know what all the technical benefits of unlisted might be.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Unlisted is suppose to protect videos from YouTube's Content ID bullshit from what I've heard.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

HaroldofTheRock posted:

By the way, does the PSP version have the hidden Yggdra easter egg? With the DS version, if you have the Yggdra Union game in the GBA slot, the tutorial instructor is Yggdra instead of Maria, and there's apparently another character that pops in between scenes occasionally. Pretty cool surprises.

Actually, they just have the Yggdra tutorials instead of Maria, and that character still will show up randomly, even without Yggdra Union save data. If you do have save data from Yggdra Union, you will automatically unlock Yggdra's story mode (new in the PSP version, but originally planned for the DS version; that's why they had Yggdra do the tutorials - they didn't want to waste the face sprite they had already made of her). Yggdra's story normally unlocks after one playthough.

I don't consider the Yggdra route a spoiler, since it is advertized on the back of the box.

Edit: Here are some song suggestions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZBCPPTUrjc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTU-jTmWr-k

You can't go wrong with the first stratum themes from EO.

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 19, 2014

namad
Nov 7, 2013
I'm still wanting to learn to play so a few questions.

Could you perform a weapon attack on the fairy before it was angry? or is it immune to damage before it gets angry hence the weak attack before the real attack? Referring here to comments from turn 4.

So far you haven't shown any of the stuff you do between battles, I hope you can devote more time to this in the future. I know it's not very entertaining but the menu's and systems are so confusing if you don't explain them to me in a video I have no hope of comprehending from the tutorials alone. Perhaps you could use annotations to help people who only want to be entertained skip that part? or do a screenshot segment on it? or do a separate video that just explains boring between scene menus?

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Also...taking suggestions for low-key, pleasant tunes for me to stick in place of the battle preparation music (like where I put the Metroid music in this video)

...I got a lot of ideas for this, and they are kind of all over the map. I get the feeling that some of these will work well and others won't but it's worth a shot suggesting them anyway.
That and you might get so many suggestions a pastebin or googledoc might be warranted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFuSKPhc7qM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8quBhJLZ9s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flAznjug9_g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3C-FrmHn44
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16_-giowP4Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGhnNqlp12Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnu1Wvi1bDs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQp_zJviTjc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v12FHyDXYg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyucnBMPoF4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5iUjXQKomg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLuHvi_WvZ8

HaroldofTheRock posted:

By the way, does the PSP version have the hidden Yggdra easter egg? With the DS version, if you have the Yggdra Union game in the GBA slot, the tutorial instructor is Yggdra instead of Maria, and there's apparently another character that pops in between scenes occasionally. Pretty cool surprises.

More than that, actually: having Yggdra Union save data on your PSP will not only give you Instructor Yggdra, but also unlock Yggdra Mode, in which a weird space-time accident happens and Yggdra ends up in in the Armored Maiden's place in the actual storyline. (Well, the name might be wrong but the content description isn't.)

I'm not sure whether Pamela showing up is bonus-only, but I do remember hearing that she's recruitable under some circumstances or other.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Small suggestion: You don't need to read everything on the enemy data screen out loud. You could probably get away with showing both screens (the main one and the move explanations) briefly, commenting on just particularly notable points like that move with 25 shots and 'Arachnophilia' (:gonk:). People can pause if they want to read the whole thing. :) Things looked considerably more hectic in some turns this time around, but I think you set a good pace once the battle got started.

That stuff about having to respawn objects to get a second key item is already pretty bullshit. :sweatdrop: Sting is never kind to completionists.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
It hasn't been shown but it has been referenced, so I don't think it's a spoiler, but I'll delete if needed.

One of the mechanics left to explain is that some kind of units (not our knight) can move when attacking, and then can be substituted by other units in the following rounds. So your first objective in every map is to move your dudes to positions where other kind of dudes with other attack patterns can target random scenery bits. :psyduck:

I'm not sure whether an object that has weapon can hold a key item in a later spawn, but I wouldn't put it past Sting. Sting likes to troll players.

Easy mode makes things, well, easier by giving you more rounds to work with, but you end up passing a lot of rounds and fiddling with inventory items waiting for containers to respawn, which is kinda boring.

tl;dr: gently caress you for wanting to 100% this.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Thanks for the music suggestions, guys. Hopefully before too long, I'll have enough information covered to be able to jump in to the game rather than yammer for ages beforehand. When that day finally comes, I'll leave in the game's music. I've mentioned it a couple times in the LP but it's my favorite song in the game. I also went ahead and made the videos public, thanks for the heads up.

I had no idea about the PSP Yggdra space-time playthrough thing, either. I wish it was on the DS :mad: Kind of gives the impression that Sting has some affection for that character.

namad posted:

I'm still wanting to learn to play so a few questions.

Could you perform a weapon attack on the fairy before it was angry? or is it immune to damage before it gets angry hence the weak attack before the real attack? Referring here to comments from turn 4.

So far you haven't shown any of the stuff you do between battles, I hope you can devote more time to this in the future. I know it's not very entertaining but the menu's and systems are so confusing if you don't explain them to me in a video I have no hope of comprehending from the tutorials alone. Perhaps you could use annotations to help people who only want to be entertained skip that part? or do a screenshot segment on it? or do a separate video that just explains boring between scene menus?

These are good questions. The fairy would not have taken damage while it was idle, so yes, I wanted to piss it off with a Regular attack (no weapon attached) before bothering with a Skill attack (weapon attached). A Skill attack would have pissed off the fairy as well, but it would have cost me a magic point as well as 0.5 vitality from my Knight (Regular attacks only cost 0.1 vitality). I haven't covered vitality yet, it will most likely be when I discuss the inventory screen.

On that subject, my plan was to make a separate video once I had enough to work with. The problem is that right now I don't really have a lot of raw materials to upgrade my weapons, and I don't have a lot of Knights to use for transoul. So, I don't have much right now to talk about regarding a significant portion of the inventory screen's function. After this next scene, I'll have a few more Knights and I'll spend some time off camera gathering resources, so I should be able to do an inventory video soon. Would that work? Or do you have specific questions we can answer in the thread right now? We seem to be in good company, several posters have shown they are pretty knowledgeable about the game, so definitely feel free to ask if something doesn't make sense.

Yapping Eevee posted:

Small suggestion: You don't need to read everything on the enemy data screen out loud. You could probably get away with showing both screens (the main one and the move explanations) briefly, commenting on just particularly notable points like that move with 25 shots and 'Arachnophilia' (:gonk:). People can pause if they want to read the whole thing. :) Things looked considerably more hectic in some turns this time around, but I think you set a good pace once the battle got started.

That stuff about having to respawn objects to get a second key item is already pretty bullshit. :sweatdrop: Sting is never kind to completionists.

Yeah this is a good idea, I'll linger on the screens for a second or two then move on, unless the monster warrants special comments :)

Fat Samurai posted:

It hasn't been shown but it has been referenced, so I don't think it's a spoiler, but I'll delete if needed.

One of the mechanics left to explain is that some kind of units (not our knight) can move when attacking, and then can be substituted by other units in the following rounds. So your first objective in every map is to move your dudes to positions where other kind of dudes with other attack patterns can target random scenery bits. :psyduck:

I'm not sure whether an object that has weapon can hold a key item in a later spawn, but I wouldn't put it past Sting. Sting likes to troll players.

Easy mode makes things, well, easier by giving you more rounds to work with, but you end up passing a lot of rounds and fiddling with inventory items waiting for containers to respawn, which is kinda boring.

tl;dr: gently caress you for wanting to 100% this.

Yep this is correct, so once we get a Knight that can move, priorities will be updated again. I thought it was going to be a Duelist but looks like there's a Lance Knight on the field for next scene.

Also, for what it's worth, I don't consider gameplay mechanics to be spoilers (unless they're plot related). I would like to ask that if people do mention a new gameplay mechanic, they put it in context (which you did) so people aren't confused or think it's something that's already been covered.

HaroldofTheRock fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 19, 2014

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
To be honest, I think the Sting team loves Pamela more than Yggdra, and I dislike Pamela, considering my first encounter with Dept. Heaven and my favorite so far was Riviera, which didn't have either character in it and was probably better for it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Could you put some :siren: or otherwise make the video links in each update more noticeable, please? I completely missed your last one and only realised it was there after someone said something about the fairy.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

HaroldofTheRock posted:

I had no idea about the PSP Yggdra space-time playthrough thing, either. I wish it was on the DS :mad: Kind of gives the impression that Sting has some affection for that character.

You really aren't missing anything. All of the stages are the exact same as Maria's route, just with Yggdra instead of Maria. There are no new characters for the route.

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

Yggdra mode also happens once you beat both routes once.

Gungnir was such a rage inducing game. Barely anything actually happened.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug

Fat Samurai posted:

Could you put some :siren: or otherwise make the video links in each update more noticeable, please? I completely missed your last one and only realised it was there after someone said something about the fairy.

Yeah sure, sorry about that.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

HaroldofTheRock posted:

I'm recording this on a 3DS with a capture card, so unfortunately, that won't work.

I can't find anything on google that says capture cards won't work with flash cards. Does it take up the cartridge slot (SLOT 1)? From what I can see, it shouldn't interfere with the hardware.

If you're using a real cartridge already then I can see that it would be ridiculous to go through this trouble for an alternate setup.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I dug out my copy of the game to see where I left off in my last play through, and figure out why I quit despite being on track for the good ending. Then I saw the name Flanier's Rampart pop up and it all came rushing back to me... There are harder stages in the game, but I don't think there are any more frustrating if you're trying to recruit everyone.

Shame the WiiU didn't exist at the time, the tablet controller would be a perfect fit, and a bigger screen would do wonders for the clarity.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The one that that always stressed me out was using guys too often to the point where they are completely exhausted. I understand that I can always reload but always having that number ticking down on everyone like an expiration riles me up.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
This game is such a kick in the balls. And yet I keep coming back to replay it.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
:siren::siren:NEW VIDEO:Scene 3 :siren::siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1EV_h6QHCA

:siren::siren:NEW VIDEO:Scene 3 :siren::siren:

KNIGHTS WE RECRUITED LAST TIME
Moira Chateletze of the 11th Order

"I wanted to support him..."
Class: Hermit
Atlus says this of Moira:
“A calm and collected woman with combat experience to spare. She is engaged to Wunsche of the 4th Order.”
The Tome of Lost Souls says this:
Iron Rose
“She is a strong and beautiful woman who commands a great deal of respect from her subordinates. Her unit has been known to get rowdy at times, but she has a lot of pride in all of them. Although she is generally calm, when Moira gets angry, she does not hold anything back, and her subordinates have learned how to keep her content. Moira is currently taking care of the stray dog that Cress found, and she is betrothed to Wunsche.”

Bonn Clavell of the 11th Order

“I know I shouldn’t drink so much, but…oh well!”
Class: Warrior
Atlus.com says this of Bonn:
“A man known for his lackadaisical attitude and his penchant for spending evenings at the bar. However those who know him well know he has a soft side.”
The Tome of Lost Souls says:
Loyal Companion
“A carefree hedonist, he sees knightly formalities as just obstacles that bar him from drinking and having a good time. Nevertheless, despite his irresponsible inclinations, Bonn is a reliable and capable ally on the battlefield. He is eternally regretful that he did not pursue Moira earlier, before Wunsche, his superior, proposed to her.”

mastersord posted:

I can't find anything on google that says capture cards won't work with flash cards. Does it take up the cartridge slot (SLOT 1)? From what I can see, it shouldn't interfere with the hardware.

If you're using a real cartridge already then I can see that it would be ridiculous to go through this trouble for an alternate setup.

Yeah, real cartridge here. The capture card is actually installed inside the 3DS. Anyway I'm just going to have to be careful with how I save. At least now, I'm averaging one scene per video, so it won't be the end of the world if I need to abort a recording and start over.

Rangpur posted:

Shame the WiiU didn't exist at the time, the tablet controller would be a perfect fit, and a bigger screen would do wonders for the clarity.

Yeah that would actually sell a WiiU to me. The bad news is I'd be shocked to see a sequel for this game, maybe we could hope for a remastered version I guess.

Annointed posted:

The one that that always stressed me out was using guys too often to the point where they are completely exhausted. I understand that I can always reload but always having that number ticking down on everyone like an expiration riles me up.

I can totally relate, this game just has an oppressive, hopeless feeling, like you're fighting entropy. In this video, one of the knights has a brush with death uh, afterlife death.

HaroldofTheRock fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 14, 2014

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
One thing the ds version definitely does better then the psp is controls. It's so simple to jam attacks with the stylus, but the psp's analog stick makes it kinda difficult, especially as the numbers rise.

And this game probably has the most effective bleak atmposphere. It almost gets depressing.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Nice job Atlus - you named it the Upola statue in both Riviera and Yggdra Union, and the voice acting in Riviera's PSP version also called it the Upola Statue.

So of course you decide to call it the Upora Statue here :downs:.

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 23, 2014

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

One thing the ds version definitely does better then the psp is controls. It's so simple to jam attacks with the stylus, but the psp's analog stick makes it kinda difficult, especially as the numbers rise.

And this game probably has the most effective bleak atmposphere. It almost gets depressing.

I didn't mention this in the video, but I'm actually pretty inept with spinning the gears. I think my problem is I draw the circles too small. I can say with complete confidence that there will be many videos where I botch it horribly.

BlazeEmblem posted:

Nice job Atlus - you named it the Upola statue in both Riviera and Yggdra Union, and the voice acting in Riviera's PSP version also called it the Upola Statue.

So of course you decide to call it the Upora Statue here :downs:.

This actually reminds me; someone help me out: how do you pronounce "Piche"? One thing I never took into consideration when I decided to make a video LP is that now the whole world will see how illiterate I am.

namad posted:

Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I'm working on that update now, but it's gotten a little ugly. I just plain didn't realize the sheer volume of information I need to put in the inventory/setup screen update. So I'm plugging away, but unfortunately, Thanksgiving is coming up and I need to be realistic. I most likely won't have this update done until the week after. So, if you have any specific questions, please ask them in the thread. Sorry I can't hurry this along, but yeah there's a ton of stuff to cover and I want to be thorough.

On that note, a general update for the whole thread:

:siren:NEXT UPDATE WILL MOST LIKELY BE THE WEEK AFTER THANKSGIVING. SORRY FOR THE DELAY :(:siren:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

HaroldofTheRock posted:

This actually reminds me; someone help me out: how do you pronounce "Piche"? One thing I never took into consideration when I decided to make a video LP is that now the whole world will see how illiterate I am.

The original kana is ピスチェ, which taken straight is something like... piece-che (a more exact Romanization here would be pisuche). As has been noted Atlus and Sting tend not to agree on romanization where proper names are concerned, though, so really don't feel bad about this, sometimes not even the fandom* can agree on which spellings they like better. The other common spelling I've seen for her name is Pisce, which is kind of odd since there's nothing fishy about her specifically. Is there something fishy about the fact that she's apparently been locked up in some room for a long time? Probably.

*disclaimer, I don't really interact with main fandom bodies of any sort

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

AweStriker posted:

The original kana is ピスチェ, which taken straight is something like... piece-che (a more exact Romanization here would be pisuche). As has been noted Atlus and Sting tend not to agree on romanization where proper names are concerned, though, so really don't feel bad about this, sometimes not even the fandom* can agree on which spellings they like better. The other common spelling I've seen for her name is Pisce, which is kind of odd since there's nothing fishy about her specifically. Is there something fishy about the fact that she's apparently been locked up in some room for a long time? Probably.

Just to make it fit into the general theme in the names of certain characters, which will become clearer the farther the game goes.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

AweStriker posted:

Is there something fishy about the fact that she's apparently been locked up in some room for a long time? Probably.

Well, her initial descriptor said she was "frail," so I'm guessing she gets sick really easily, and they confined her to her room to keep her healthier.

Judging from the overall atmosphere of the game so far, though, I'm probably wrong. Just watch, she has some serious Dark Souls-level depressing backstory/upcoming life event that will make me want to cry.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

azren posted:

Well, her initial descriptor said she was "frail," so I'm guessing she gets sick really easily, and they confined her to her room to keep her healthier.

Anime love interest 101.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
:siren::siren: NEW UPDATE VIDEO INVENTORY MANAGEMENT SCREEN, AND TONS OF OTHER DETAILS :siren::siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoWfcd7IoXY

This update covers the inventory screen, and lots of information on how the game works. Very little gameplay in this update, and the little there is was recorded for mechanic demonstration purposes. This video could most likely be skipped if you're not interested in a ton of smaller details on how the game works.

At some point, the contents of this new video will be made into a post with screen shots. At least, that's the plan...someday...

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
The ideas in this game are incredible, but there is so much of the usual Sting bullshit (like the having to break items, which can only be done by one class, so they have to respawn, so you have to wait for them, and break them again, to maybe get another Key Item). Also things like Rush Count: I don't get how it is useful, since in the middle of combat you'll be too distracted to keep accurate count of your R.C. so it can land in exactly the number you want. Is it more like a little bonus advantage/disadvantage system that triggers mostly at random? I couldn't get far in the game due to my OCD combined with my laziness to actually collect all the items. Also I think that by the time I gave up I already had a couple of hours invested in the tutorials every time.

Is there any reason to not combine items into one single durability item? Unless you just want to upgrade a small stack to see what RC effects you'll get. But it costs the same to upgrade one giant or small stack and they can be easily downgraded so...

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Markovnikov posted:

Is there any reason to not combine items into one single durability item? Unless you just want to upgrade a small stack to see what RC effects you'll get. But it costs the same to upgrade one giant or small stack and they can be easily downgraded so...

The only reason I can think of is that you can find items with different levels of upgrades to them. If you combine those, then the combined item only has the lower level of upgrade, so you are losing the upgrades by combining those.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Markovnikov posted:

...in the middle of combat you'll be too distracted to keep accurate count of your R.C. so it can land in exactly the number you want.

The actual Rush Count is displayed at the upper-left corner of the screen, so I think the harder part here is probably just remembering how many hits the skills you're using put in per attack.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Well the Rush Count Effects are pretty much all over the map in terms of what they do. I agree with Markovnikov's notion that they're meant to be random crazy effects. If you really knew your poo poo, you could manipulate them, but there's always going to be an element of chance. Say you have a weapon that hits the enemy 8 times, but the enemy will only survive 4 of those hits and the 5 hit kills it. You're only getting 5 hits added to your Rush Count, so hopefully you planned for that. Or, another enemy wandered in to your attack blast and died after 4 hits, but the first enemy you were aiming for died after 7 hits. Or, there's an enemy in the periphery of your attack, so he's only going to get 30% of the damage...that translates to x number of hits. :psyduck: Keeping track of that poo poo is beyond me.

However, you can use Regular attacks to help fine tune the Rush Count; a Regular attack always counts for one hit per enemy. So if you're aiming for a Rush Count of 75 and you get it to 73, you could do a fast Regular attack, hit 2 guys, and get your Rush Count.

Having said all that, I'm usually too occupied to pay attention to the Rush Count, and I suspect I don't even notice half the time when they activate.

Markovnikov posted:

Like BlazeEmblem said, you sometimes get a Frozen Axe +4, but your stack is +9, so you might have differing upgrades. I guess if you were hardcore and wanted a +4 for certain situations, but a +9 for others, you could keep a variety. Or let's say you don't like the +9's charge time, but you like the 3rd Rush Count Effect: Enemies are frozen for 15 seconds. You could upgrade one with a smaller duration and pull it out only during rounds when you want the Rush Count Effect, and in the meantime use a Frozen Axe +4 or whatever.

I didn't really get into this in the video, but with the comparison between Frozen Axe +1 and Frozen Axe +9: The +1 had a 29% bonus to damage, while the +9 had a 58%. That's twice the bonus damage...and it actually took twice as long to charge.

So, it's an interesting choice. You could argue that the +9 is more efficient, because if you compare two +1 attacks vs one +9 attack, you're doing the same damage for less magic points and vitality, but it is a significant investment of time (10 seconds!) into one attack, and you also get 2 lovely Rush Count Effects and 1 good one. To be honest, I don't really like waiting forever for the +9 to charge, and when I resume with the game, I might restore the +1 or make a +4 or something.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I might suggest making a ordered playlist of the LP and of the Inventory juggling sections. Other than that, thanks for LPing this weird but interesting title.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
:siren::siren::UPDATE: BOSS FIGHT:siren::siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ2tL3UEYks

We get a new knight class: the Archer. We fight a boss. Youtube seems to be having trouble processing this one, so if you can't get a good resolution, try again later I guess.

KNIGHT WE RECRUITED LAST TIME

Michel Kareem Levine of the 8th Order

“I’ll…I’ll do my best.”
Class: Warrior
Atlus.com says this of Michel:
“He joined the knights only to support his sick grandmother, despite being unfit to do so. He is frail and boyish, turning to his ocarina to forget his sorrows.”
Innocent Apprentice
“He is a fairly young knight who enlisted alongside his friend Johann. Although his body is somewhat frail, he joined the knights to help support his sick grandfather. What Michel is most passionate about, though, is playing the ocarina.”
**note** I guess both grandparents are sick?

Mardin Scott of the 11th order

“I must improve…I have to.”
Class: Lance Knight
Atlus.com says this of Mardin:
“Mardin shoulders a strong sense of responsibility, to the point that others consider him too immersed in his work. He has a tendency to be pessimistic.”
Vigilant Cavalier
“A stoic pessimist, the only area of his life in which Mardin has confidence is his ability to throw darts. He worries about others to the point that their problems soon become his own. Although he is embarrassed to admit it, he idolizes Wunsche and hopes to be like him one day. Mardin’s best friend is Fritz.”

Tylana posted:

I might suggest making a ordered playlist of the LP and of the Inventory juggling sections. Other than that, thanks for LPing this weird but interesting title.

Yeah that's a good idea, the channel could use some cleaning up. What do you think, should I make a main playlist containing the menu video for the Inventory stuff, then if someone clicks on one of the annotations, it takes them to a new playlist that is just the Inventory update?

HaroldofTheRock fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 14, 2014

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
Really enjoying the careful, detailed, and deliberate approach to this LP. I don't think this is one that could be presented fast and loose, especially as frontloaded as the mechanics are.

I mean this in the best way: It feels like a great series of Youtube tutorials for some really arcane piece of corporate software.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You'd be surprised. I played pretty much this entire game fast and loose, and in fact, the last stages go by way faster because of it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Boss fights are a high point in the game, IMO. They're brought down a bit when you're waiting for treasure respawns, but past that the later ones see some serious touhou poo poo. A game like this with 30 bosses and no item collection (or vastly revamped) would kick rear end.

Hmm, thinking about digging out my PSP to do my own run. I still haven't gotten anything better than a terrible ending.

I haven't seen anything and it's way down the line, but assuming you're not completely burned out at this game by the end, are you planning a blue campaign?

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug

Man Dancer posted:

Really enjoying the careful, detailed, and deliberate approach to this LP. I don't think this is one that could be presented fast and loose, especially as frontloaded as the mechanics are.

I mean this in the best way: It feels like a great series of Youtube tutorials for some really arcane piece of corporate software.

Thanks! I appreciate that you skirted around words like "slow", "boring", or "TMI" :D I think I'm actually getting somewhat close to being done covering the biggest details. Eventually this LP will see a change; I'd like to do post commentary when I don't need to demonstrate stuff directly. When that happens, the videos should be able to go right into gameplay after battle setup is done rather than me droning on for 50% of the run time. I'm not sure how the commentary will go down, I might still blather on about small details, or it might turn into a "shoot the poo poo while we watch gameplay" kind of thing. Probably a combination of both.

Boss fights are a high point in the game, IMO. They're brought down a bit when you're waiting for treasure respawns, but past that the later ones see some serious touhou poo poo. A game like this with 30 bosses and no item collection (or vastly revamped) would kick rear end.
I agree, the bosses are really fun in this game and usually have great attacks to dodge and superior music. Too bad the bosses aren't replayable in the Leveling menu, although every other stage is :sigh:

quote:

Hmm, thinking about digging out my PSP to do my own run. I still haven't gotten anything better than a terrible ending.

I haven't seen anything and it's way down the line, but assuming you're not completely burned out at this game by the end, are you planning a blue campaign?

Well, like you said, that's a long ways down the line, so I guess we'll see. But, on that subject...I know you've said you weren't super keen on doing an LP of this game...however a PSP Blue path would be really cool to see and I think it would be awesome to compare it to a DS Red path LP! Just sayin :)

HaroldofTheRock fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I lik the boss fights, although I dislike the fact they frontload the first half of the game with bosses and then you're stuck playing 15 stage maps for a long while.

• Locked thread