Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've been on the edge of LPing this game ever since Yggdra Union and I'm so glad someone else decided to do it. I'd agree with others that item collection really drags the game down (see every Dept. Heaven game) but it's still pretty fun and has a pretty unique presentation and gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mraagvpeine posted:

After looking it up, this game is part of the Dept. Heaven series. Should I see the previous games/LPs first?

They only have the vaguest relations to each other, in terms of mythology. They're technically in order, but they either take place so far apart time wise or world wise that you don't need to know much from Riviera or Yggdra Union. Riviera at least builds up the lore that does get referenced a little bit, but you can go into this one blind.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

BlazeEmblem posted:

Not exactly... Riviera was released first, and in chronologically last in the timeline. Gungnir was released last, but is currently the earliest story.

Anyway, I am so glad that someone is LPing this. I love the Dept. Heaven series, so I am always eager to see an LP of one of the games.

Since you are doing the DS version instead of the PSP version, are you going put up a side post about what was added to the PSP port?

That makes more sense. Riviera didn't fit as the first, chronologically. I was going off some old, poorly translated info I guess. Do you have a link to any of the series info? I stopped following around the time Gungnir came out.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Hey I really hope I'm not stepping on your toes with this LP; if you still feel the desire to do one, please do so! One of my regrets with this LP is that I'm pretty ignorant to the other Dept. Heaven games, you'd certainly have more interesting things to talk about than I do...:)

Nope nope nope. I just really wanted to see it done, and worse case scenario I'd pick up the torch. I'm far from an expert at this game anyways, so it's nice to see someone else's approach to it. Besides, I apparently sound like a stoned robot when I talk, and you are much more commentary friendly. Now all I have to do is waffle on Gungnir until someone takes it.

I say go with the live commentary and introduce new mechanics as they become relevant. You can probably skip certain mechanics as well, until people are more familiar with the gameplay, and then go back to a more detailed explanation when it's more fitting. The learning curve of this game is like a 90 degree angle, so it's a lot to take in at once.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I found the PSP controls serviceable, but I liked the DS controls better. It seems like it was pretty well thought out for how complex it is.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
One thing the ds version definitely does better then the psp is controls. It's so simple to jam attacks with the stylus, but the psp's analog stick makes it kinda difficult, especially as the numbers rise.

And this game probably has the most effective bleak atmposphere. It almost gets depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Boss fights are a high point in the game, IMO. They're brought down a bit when you're waiting for treasure respawns, but past that the later ones see some serious touhou poo poo. A game like this with 30 bosses and no item collection (or vastly revamped) would kick rear end.

Hmm, thinking about digging out my PSP to do my own run. I still haven't gotten anything better than a terrible ending.

I haven't seen anything and it's way down the line, but assuming you're not completely burned out at this game by the end, are you planning a blue campaign?

• Locked thread