Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
This game. I wanted to like it, but getting all the items in the stages was repetitive as hell, so I ended up getting burned pretty early. The game mechanics were very original, though.

I'll be following this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Yapping Eevee posted:

If dodging attacks is getting in the way of explanations, perhaps it might be a good idea to pause (or do something similar, like go into that Conversion menu we saw at the end of the third video). :) We can still see the UI pretty well even with the screen dimmed.
One of the problems of LPing this is that the game expects you to go through a very long tutorial (about 30 mini stages/text screens, can't remember right now) before playing Stage 1 instead of introducing concepts one at a time. I cannot watch the videos right now, but I'm guessing explaining all the Chaos and Law and kind of attacks and damage and items and scenery and... while playing a bullet hell game is kinda difficult.

I'd suggest screenshots with game mechanics ITT.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

After looking it up, this game is part of the Dept. Heaven series. Should I see the previous games/LPs first?

Yes you should. But only because they are good games with unique mechanics, not because you need to in order to follow this one.

Riviera is one of my favourite LPs.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

HaroldofTheRock posted:

1) Generally, I'm a nervous, mushmouthed spaz in real life, so I do apologize if I come off nervous, annoying, or hard to understand or whatever. A LP is really out of my comfort zone, but I do hope I can grow into it.

Now that I've had time to watch the videos, everything is coming along nicely, so don't worry about this. You have already gone through most of the battle mechanics (only movement and breaking stuff left, I think?), so next videos should have less infodumps.

No breaking the chest, though? That's bad form. :colbert:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

It hasn't been shown but it has been referenced, so I don't think it's a spoiler, but I'll delete if needed.

One of the mechanics left to explain is that some kind of units (not our knight) can move when attacking, and then can be substituted by other units in the following rounds. So your first objective in every map is to move your dudes to positions where other kind of dudes with other attack patterns can target random scenery bits. :psyduck:

I'm not sure whether an object that has weapon can hold a key item in a later spawn, but I wouldn't put it past Sting. Sting likes to troll players.

Easy mode makes things, well, easier by giving you more rounds to work with, but you end up passing a lot of rounds and fiddling with inventory items waiting for containers to respawn, which is kinda boring.

tl;dr: gently caress you for wanting to 100% this.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Could you put some :siren: or otherwise make the video links in each update more noticeable, please? I completely missed your last one and only realised it was there after someone said something about the fairy.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

azren posted:

Well, her initial descriptor said she was "frail," so I'm guessing she gets sick really easily, and they confined her to her room to keep her healthier.

Anime love interest 101.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Yeah this is a tough choice for me. Do you think I could do a highlight reel kind of thing, or maybe just show one or two rounds out of a 5 round scene? I don't know how much people want to see me recruit Knight after Knight after Knight for another 40+ scenes, or if it's interesting to hear me plot out the strategy I'll be using before I begin fighting. I definitely want to see how the videos turn out once I get past the heavy mechanics explanations, I think the pace should pick up quite a bit.

I'm interested in hearing your strategy at the start of the battle, especially switching knight tipes at appropriate times. I was never good at that. Regarding cutting some stuff, you could skip rounds that inmediatelly go into MP/EXP and leave the others in. I don't think picking up knights at the start of every scene is going to be a huge bother.

I went back to the game after watching the last episode. I didn't remember how much of a kick in the nuts Transoul is.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Seconding that the timeline stuff is very useful. Watching the game at LP speed means it's hard to remember when the characters pop up.

EDIT: Just watched the latest video. I didn't remember how often (mechanic chat in the spoiler) you'd have to break a container to get ANOTHER key item after they respawn. gently caress you, game.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Dec 26, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Yep, that's the look of an evil witch.

Anyway, I'm interested in where the story is going. So far it seems standard FF fare, with the Grand Vizier being evil and one of his sidekicks being even worse, but our good guy is already dead, and seemingly without influence over the living. Either we're mere spectators or the final battle is going to be weird-

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Now I wonder how Maria is going to work mechanically. She's alive, so maybe she doesn't "dissolve"? Transouling into the living sounds even worse than fusing dead souls together.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

HaroldofTheRock posted:

What do you guys think? Do these people understand they're dead? What do they understand?

My pet theory is that the knights don't know what they're going through until they are recruited. Contact with the wisps may be enough to make them aware of their situation.

How the wisp does this is anybody's guess, though.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I like how the game makes you care about the Knights even with barely any screen time. Most of them seem to be OK guys and gals.

And now they are dead :smith:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Welp, now we have a proper bullet hell. OK, not quite, but it seems we're getting there.

Does it get any worse? I hope it gets worse.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

This upcoming scene looks pretty complex after the last 2-3 with just Maria and a knight and no stuff to break. Kudos to the game for mixing things up a bit and giving you simpler stuff to do once in a while.

And hey, Annalot managed to ask for reinforcements before dying. Horray, I guess :smith:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

DjinnAndTonic posted:

Clearly a Lance Knight like Alonso deserves a THUNDEROUS weapon to match his voice.

I agree with this

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Hilgard. She has the best design.

I agree with this.

Glazius posted:

I'm for Erica, myself. She has the best design. :colbert:

I don't agree with this :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

For some reason I lost this thread around chapter 13-14 or so, and was pleasantly surprised when I saw it pop up on the first page of the subforum. Wanted to say that you're doing a great job with a very difficult game, OP.

• Locked thread