Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

psydude posted:

What's the standard delivery mechanism for most of these, malicious code in ad networks?

That's how one of our folks got hit. Went to Yahoo and a flash ad infected them. Not sure if their Flash was fully patched, or if it was an unknown exploit.

I've disabled java and flash in all of my browsers, installed secunia psi to make sure all my apps are patched, and unmapped any network drives I had. I also moved all my documents to my OneDrive.

The only additional thing I think I'm going to do is disconnect my external drive that takes weekly image backups of my machine when it's not being used.

I can't wait until a big portal gets sued for serving up malicious ads. They don't even bother scanning the ad content first.

edit: and why haven't we figured out a way for this poo poo to run in a sandbox type environment yet?

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread