Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
lol at everyone upset that real life isn't as exciting as Law and Order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

bad day posted:

Actually I'm just disappointed that they didn't have any information that wasn't already in the publicly available court documents. I read many of the documents and summaries while waiting for new episodes of Serial to come out, thinking maybe Koenig had at least uncovered some sort of new information that would:

a. provide one new fact or scrap of evidence that points more decisively towards Adnan's guilt or innocence.
b. provide a plausible alternative narrative for Hae's death.

The show failed on both accounts, and wound up being an extended contemplation on how the truth is ultimately unknowable, and it's the journey that's more important than the ending, and no one will ever know what really happened to Hae.. and of course SK's experience working the case because that's what's really important.

..Which would have made a fantastic This American Life episode. But if I were her producer I wouldn't have let this go to air until she produced something - some concrete tangible fact that casts new light on the case. I would have told her to shelve the story until she came up with something that wasn't already part of the public record. Or I would have insisted she edit it down into a one or two-part TAL episode.

In any case I really hope whatever story she chooses for season 2 doesn't end with "welp, I guess we'll never know the truth" because then why do a show at all? Investigative journalists don't usually get front page articles based on "well we did a bunch of digging and came up with nothing so we're going to pretend it was a story about digging all along".
It was still interesting true crime. drat you SK for telling this story and not magically producing more evidence or coming to a more definite conclusion. I demand to be entertained more! More, I say!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DARPA posted:

lol at everyone upset that real life isn't as exciting as Law and Order
Are you really that surprised though?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Last Chance posted:

It was still interesting true crime. drat you SK for telling this story and not magically producing more evidence or coming to a more definite conclusion. I demand to be entertained more! More, I say!

i really think she expected to find some new exonerating evidence but when in the end it looked like adnan really probably did choke hae and bury her then lie about it she fell back on the weakass 'well regardless if u think he actually did it, legally speaking maybe he shouldnt have been convicted' which is a huge goddamn nothing. the amount of time she wasted on that ridiculous buttdial poo poo just shows how desperate she was. it wasnt a normal true crime thing because from the start it was supposed to be a re-evaluation of a closed case rather than just a description of one. she obviously believed a bit too much in that rabia persons advocacy for this as a wrongful conviction case when it's just a pretty itneresting jealous ex boyfriend chokes ex girlfriend case.

Orkin Mang fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 10, 2015

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

bad day posted:

But if I were her producer I wouldn't have let this go to air until she produced something - some concrete tangible fact that casts new light on the case. I would have told her to shelve the story until she came up with something that wasn't already part of the public record. Or I would have insisted she edit it down into a one or two-part TAL episode.

And you would have been the producer that turned down the biggest podcast of all time.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I feel like SK airing Adnan's desperation near the end was probably the closest Serial wanted to get to having a conclusive ending. I mean, unless you believe that the real killer would make a guy pancakes or write long rambling letters to the press.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

moths posted:

I mean, unless you believe that the real killer would make a guy pancakes or write long rambling letters to the press.

uhhhh

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

I think that's :thejoke:

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
Adnan Syed, convicted killer in 'Serial,' gets big break in quest for new trial

Looks like he has at least a hint of hope. That's too bad.

Despite being a large portion of the podcast, The walk from the school to Best Buy is doable in the time Anand claims was impossible to drive.

DARPA fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 20, 2015

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think even if you think he's guilty you should not have a problem with a new trial. He did not have adequate representation.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The problem with endless retrials is that they invariably present a weaker case for the prosecution.

If Charles Manson were to get a fresh trial today, there's a non-zero chance he'd be acquitted. That doesn't mean he's innocent, it just means the case has degraded.

It's kinda hosed for Hae's family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

moths posted:

The problem with endless retrials is that they invariably present a weaker case for the prosecution.

If Charles Manson were to get a fresh trial today, there's a non-zero chance he'd be acquitted. That doesn't mean he's innocent, it just means the case has degraded.

It's kinda hosed for Hae's family.

"Endless retrials" don't exist. A court of appeals may kick something back down to a lower court but only if there was an error in procedure or sentencing and even then the lower court can refuse to reopen the case, as might happen. Adnan didn't get a retrial, what he has is permission to file a request to reopen a post-conviction hearing.

As for Charles Manson, I think you are bringing up something of a false dilemma. He doesn't just get a do-over or a mulligan because he lost. His case is closed, the matter decided. To reopen it, to get a fresh trial, he would have to go through an appeal process and would need to demonstrate that the original trial was wrong in procedures or practices enough to warrant a retrial. So yeah, Charles Manson has a non-zero chance of acquittal in a new trial, the problem is getting a new trial and that problem is a big one.

The order is here if you want to read it. It is only 5 pages and is pretty concise.

bedpan fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 20, 2015

• Locked thread