Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

TheJoker138 posted:

The whole thing about them at Jay's friends house, with the woman insisting that Adnan was talking to someone on the phone about making up a story to cover for the murder doesn't sit right with me either, though. If that happened who's the third man in that situation?

This is brought up again in the most recent episode which you may not have listened to.

I just finished binging through all the episodes so far and it's been a great listen. To be honest, the only thing I think we can say definitively is that Jay was involved - either with Adnan, with an unknown third party, or on his own. He knew where Hae's car was, and that's a 100% indicator that he has definite knowledge of what happened. It's not subjective, it's not coerced, or tweaked to fit with other things the police have said to him. To me, it 100% confirms Jay's involvement.

I'm looking forward to hearing everything play out, but I've got a sinking feeling we'll never get a definite answer.

At the moment my personal opinion is that Adnan probably did it and that Jay was much more involved than he lets on, maybe even to the point of assisting in the actual murder (not just disposing of the body). I have a feeling that Jay's story shifts around to keep his involvement minimised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Shitshow posted:

Has any defender of Adnan been able to explain why, on the afternoon of Hae's disappearance, a) his cellphone pinged a tower from Leakin Park and b) it was used to call Asia, a girl who he had been dating and that Jay had never met?

I'm not a defender of Adnan (at the moment I'm leaning towards he and Jay did it), but:

a) there's a lot of reasons why cellphones ping the towers that they do, and only one of those reasons is that "this tower is closest". Radio waves can bounce in very odd ways off of buildings, terrain, even the atmosphere. Even the way particular towers are oriented could mean that your phone connects to a tower that it isn't physically very close to. And as the experts they consulted said, it "probably" means he was near the tower, but it's not really beyond a reasonable doubt that he was there. It certainly isn't a slam dunk.

b) I think this is what Sarah Koenig calls the Nisha (Neesha?) call, right? The one at 3:36 or something, when Adnan was supposedly at track practice. His explanation is a butt-dial and answering machine, though Nisha testified that her house never had an answering machine so it's iffy at best. But then again, she also said it was both Jay and Adnan who called her, and said she should come by the video store where Jay worked - except he didn't start working there until weeks after the murder, so she's pretty clearly remembering a different conversation (or at least conflating two different ones). But yeah alibi-wise, there isn't really a satisfactory explanation for this call.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

If Serial is really going in that direction, the season one twist is going to be that Sarah Koenig is actually Hae in disguise.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

bedpan posted:

Nothing, aside from Jay's say so, connects Adnan to the crime and Jay had to give the prosecutor Adnan or else Jay would have his deal revoked and probably be the prosecutor's next target.

What makes you certain that Adnan killed Hae?

I can't answer for that guy, but the crucial piece of evidence is that Jay knew where Hae's car was. That proves beyond any doubt that Jay was involved with her death, and we can completely rule out unknown third parties (eg serial killers, sex pests, Mr S etc).

I'm not a big fan of the "Jay did it" theories, because as others have pointed out he has no motive (that we've heard on the show, I haven't read any other material), and he'd basically need to be a criminal mastermind to engineer the perfect situation where he has Adnan's phone and car during a tiny window when Adnan has no alibi. I haven't heard anything so far that makes me think that that's the case.

Which leaves us with Adnan. Either he killed her alone and enlisted Jay's help afterwards (roughly as per Jay's testimony), or they were both in on it together and Jay later turned on Adnan for unclear reasons (but most likely a guilty conscience).

I think the latter is the most likely scenario, based on what we've heard so far.

That said. I don't think he should have been convicted on the strength of evidence we've been shown; in my mind there's certainly enough reasonable doubt that he's not guilty. If the burden of proof were lower, and we were looking at the balance of probabilities, I'd be more inclined to say guilty.

• Locked thread