Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I just binged through the first 8 episodes of this (will listen to the newest tomorrow at work) and it's fascinating. At this point I honestly have no clue if he did it or not, but I can say that if this is the information that was presented to me as a jury member I'd say there is a reasonable doubt, and wouldn't be able to find him guilty. It's incredibly well put together, and super in depth.

I see that they're raising funds for a second season, but I'm honestly not sure how I feel about that. Like...what do you cover as a follow up to this? Another murder case? Something totally different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Pillowpants posted:

But it will be a different story, won't it?

Anyways, I've listened to all the episodes over the past 10 days. I'm pretty sure Jay did, but I also think Adnan was involved. What I am having trouble with is how a jury found Adnan guilty "Beyond a reasonable doubt"

Jay was what I thought too, right up until the episode focusing on him. At this point if I had to make a guess I'd say that it was some third party who we don't even know about, with Jay as an accessory setting up Adnan. Maybe someone who also knew the girl that received the call from his phone?

The whole thing about them at Jay's friends house, with the woman insisting that Adnan was talking to someone on the phone about making up a story to cover for the murder doesn't sit right with me either, though. If that happened who's the third man in that situation?

But man, maybe he just straight up did it, or Jay did it and Adnan helped, or any other number of situations. You're totally right about the reasonable doubt thing, there's too many questions here.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Seeing as, according to the website, they're recording these as they come out, and we've had no news of Adnan from anywhere else, I don't think we're getting a conclusion to this. We are going to be left with just as many, if not more, questions than we started with, and it might take years and years for the Innocence Project to do anything with the case. I think that the main takeaway from it is going to be that we will never know what really happened, and that even so the justice system is still hosed up.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bad day posted:

I don't really get the Pumpkin Spice Latte craze aspect of Serial, nor the resulting backlash. I've read the SJW articles decrying a white reporter talking about ethnic people, and the responses, responses-to-responses, etc.

What I don't understand is: why can't people just LIKE something anymore? Why does everything have to become A THING THAT EVERYONE HAS AN OPINION ON. There's actually very little to discuss about this show outside of the show itself - Rabia's blogs have been pretty uninteresting after the first few, most of the information from the court documents has been in the program already, the reddit discussion is just an opinion circle jerk because NOBODY has any new information.

So - I know Serial is a good podcast, why do people have to ruin it by trying to make it into something else?

People have always had opinions on everything, but the internet lets them express them more openly. Stop reading things about it if you don't want to know peoples opinions on it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bad day posted:

I understand criticism, I don't understand the sort of overblown enthusiasm or unwarranted backlash, reminds me a lot of shippers.

Stuff like this: http://www.buzzfeed.com/juliafurlan/the-definitive-serial-obsessive-poll
Or this: http://observer.com/2014/11/no-privilege-needed-in-defense-of-serial/

It just seems overblown for such a mild-mannered radio show.

I don't see anything wrong or overblown with the 2nd link, it's just responding to crazies on tumblr, and the first one is a buzzfeed article. Your first mistake was going to buzzfeed.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'd like it to stick to true crime stuff, personally. I don't know of any other good crime based podcasts out there.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

This is where I go to bat for Criminal. It's relatively new (That timing sucks) and it's a different case each week, but it usually interviews the people involved. Some of the crimes are a little on the sillier side and there's one from the last few weeks that's a little heartbreaking. The latest one is basically just an interview with Mafiaboy, who was 15 when he got raided and arrested for hacking. My only complaint is that the episodes are not long enough.

I listened to the first episode and it was all about a person who wasn't even involved in the case at handing thinking that the answer to a husband murdering his wife was "an owl did it."

African AIDS cum posted:

People (millennials) cannot discuss anything without it becoming about themselves, search those articles for personal pronouns and your computer will explode. Trash generation. Blogs and twitter and media is all fraud and lies.

loving lol if this is a serious post.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

African AIDS cum posted:

Yes, prolific games poster, it is serious. Thoughts?

I hardly post in games? This is some low level trolling, but I will say that in a world where both the baby boomers and generation x exist calling millennials the most self centered generation is hilarious. Maybe the most honest about it, but that's about it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

When I was in high school there were people I gave rides to all the time that I barely knew. Because they had weed.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

outlier posted:

Motive is a real sticking point for any of the suspects. The most we've had are cliches that aren't backed by the evidence (e.g jealousy).

Yeah, I don't buy the jealousy motive at all. He got along with her new boyfriend, and the two of them even looked at her car together that one time it broke down. If you're insanely jealous to the point of murder you don't do poo poo like that. If Adnan did it I'm convinced that's not why.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

UFOs would be one five minute episode long, with someone just saying "It's military aircraft, people are wrong about what they're seeing, or people are making poo poo up. Thank you, this has been Serial."

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

kdrudy posted:

Then the next season they can do a ghost story too how about, that'd be about on par with a UFO story.

"I'm Sarah Koenig, and this is Serial. This season we're going to look into the story of two teenagers, parked alone on a summer night. On the radio a news story about an escaped convict with a hook for a hand plays, but they ignore it. It would be the last mistake they would ever make."

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It should just become an old time radio Serial, like The Shadow.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'd get behind a missing persons thing. A haunted house would make me angry I gave them money.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Toxxupation posted:

do you think hae was killed by feminist gamers? poo poo...

Zoe Quinn killed Hae.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mister Chief posted:

When's the next episode supposed to come out?

Thursday.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gutierrez sounded like a complete piece of poo poo regardless of what made her talk like that. Demanding $10,000 cash for an expert she never even used and threatening to take away their house? gently caress her.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

n8r posted:

I think Adnan did it - he had the motive and despite Jay's flaws he had no reason to point the finger at Adnan if he didn't do it. Adnan's explanations for every little detail are too well thought out.

He's had years and years in jail to think about them, so...

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It was me. I killed Hae Lee. But I only did it because she was actually a vampire.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Blue Star Error posted:

Based on the evidence presented in the podcast, if I was on the jury there is no way I would have found him guilty. But in my mind there is a difference between the amount of evidence I'd need to see to put a man into the American prison system for life, and the amount I'd need to say "I reckon he did it".

Unless you want to add in the ridiculous amount of complication neccessary to implicate a third party, there's only really two suspects, Adnan and Jay, and for it to be Jay, you have to suppose that he's a mastermind of criminal planning that committed a murder with bugger all motive, and he's clearly not.

Why does everyone keep saying Jay would have to be a mastermind to come up with "No, I didn't do it. Her ex-boyfriend did it!" when the cops came to talk to him? And then having a story that was more full of holes than swiss cheese? The first part is basically the most obvious thing possible to deflect attention, and the second is proof that he's a really, really terrible liar not a "criminal mastermind."

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ninjahedgehog posted:

I'm going to put the same amount of effort into my rebuttal that you put into your post. More, actually, since I'm actually bothering to use punctuation.

Nope.

With voting at least you get the will of the people, even if it's something no one actually follows or cares about. When a governor appoints judges you have them appointing all their political buddies and end up with judges who don't think blacks are really people, or want women to never show their ankles whenever a republican gets the governorship.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rumda posted:

Yeah but when you vote you get people willing to pervert justice just to get elected

And when they're appointed they pervert justice for entirely different reasons.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MrWilderheap posted:

The idea is that judges should not be taking popular opinion into account when they make decisions, only the law. If you think the people are going to elect a lovely governor who is just going to appoint cronies then that's a problem with the state of democracy right now and solutions can be found in fixing the electoral process and working toward a more informed public. Why would the same electorate that's electing this bigoted, nepotistic governor you are postulating be any better at electing judges?

They wouldn't. But removing electing judges isn't going to fix anything. The public is the problem, not the basic idea behind the current system. Basically everything is hosed.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I think it's been blatantly obvious that Sarah is, beyond moments of doubt, believing Adnan TOO much. She's seemed at least 95% convinced of his innocence since episode one, and every time she brings up Jay her voice betrays a "I'm going to tell you what he said and try and be impartial, but come on this guy is obviously full of poo poo" attitude. I can almost hear her making that "jerk off" motion whenever she brings him up.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bad day posted:

I think people have attached a lot of their own sentiments to Serial (i.e. millennials making everything about themselves) but from the start I assumed SK would provide a resolution of some sort. If she really spent a year on this, then she would have some evidence or substantial theory that provided a sense of closure. Otherwise you just get "here's this thing that happened, and a lot of details, look at this thing" and that's NOT a story. It's half a story. SK hasn't even really looked into alternative narratives.

For example, Jay's plea bargain. He pled to accessory after the fact and got off with probation, which he later violated (and retained the same lawyer for) and spent some time in the clink. His father was arrested three times for drug possession (non-marijuana) in three consecutive months that same year. Jen has a pretty lengthy criminal history as well.

Now, that doesn't mean Jay is lying about this one thing, or if Adnan is lying. But there is a reality surrounding Hae's murder that SK cannot even begin to penetrate. I'm interested in whodunit but also howdunit and maybe whydunit, but only this most recent episode touched on the latter. Also there are obvious questions posed by the cellphone record that have not been mentioned - the night before, those conversations, locations, etc.

I'm not accusing SK of bad reporting. This is a good show. But I hope there's some sort of revelatory information next episode.

You're going to be let down so hard. It seemed clear to me from episode one that nothing was going to be solved in this.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

If that eye witness ties him to the murder then isn't it possible the eye witness could've done it, being as they were both there.

You're talking to the same guy who went on a totally serious rant about millennials earlier in this thread. He's a really, really lovely troll.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The podcast was never about solving the mystery, it was about looking at this particular case and going "welp, the justice system is hosed."

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

African AIDS cum posted:

Explain then how Jay knew where the car was and that she'd been strangled?

Something to do with Millennials, probably.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

African AIDS cum posted:

Lol at you still being irate over a single post made weeks ago

I'm not irate, making fun of you for being an idiot it's just fun and easy. Millennials.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

African AIDS cum posted:

You registered on this site to post about WWE, comic books, and video games. Please take your autism fueled anger back to one of those forums and don't post at me any more you weirdo

You're the one apparently going through my post history, you sperg. Also you seem to have registered to post about how much you hate people younger than you and poorly play devil's advocate in a podcast thread, so... Glass houses and all, freak.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Tell me how to discuss things like an adult, fourms user African AIDS cum

Watch out, bro. If you keep making fun of him he'll look at your post history and make fun of the other threads you post in.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

AngryBooch posted:

The DNA evidence was found on items determined to be only tangentially related to the crime in the first place. Absence of Adnan's DNA on a bottle that could have been littered at any point in time does nothing to exonerate him. The only way it helps Adnan is if it does match that serial killer/other known murderer/somebody else Hae knew that happens to have DNA on file.

Under the victim's fingernails: Only tangentially related to the crime.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The only thing that will help is a positive hit on a serial killer or another possible suspect. Whether or not Adnan shows up can only hurt him, not help him, because the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.

This is the opposite of how "innocent until proven guilty" is supposed to work. There was such an absence of evidence to begin with he never should have been convicted, and now he's basically hosed.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It would be, if that was the evidence they convicted him with. They never used it, so that's not really applicable here.

But there was no "evidence" is my point. You have one guys word, and that guy knows where the car is. All that proves is that Jay was somehow involved. Personally, I think Adnan probably did it, but he should not have been convicted on the paper thin case they had.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Shitshow posted:

It's a legal travesty for sure and I don't think anyone is arguing that. We're just stating the fact that it's a long shot that the DNA evidence exonerates Adnan.

I think the reason the innocence project is doing it is because if a retrial is held, there being zero DNA evidence linking him to the crime will sound good to a jury.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hat Thoughts posted:

I would not admit that, because if teenagers committed suicide or murder as often as they talked about it there would be like 5 teenagers.

It's a Gone Girl joke :ssh:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bad day posted:

The absence of Adnan's DNA does not prove he was not there - it only really shows they did not have sex that day. The presence of someone else's dna would be substantial, absence no.

Also, you know, the world is not CSI, people who commit crimes don't leave semen everywhere, most convictions are not made on the basis of forensic analysis.

There's more DNA than just semen, and why would semen be under her fingernails even if they did have sex?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bad day posted:

But I dunno, maybe you didn't get laid as a teen, and spent all your time masturbating to Zelda games or whatever. Perhaps you aren't familiar with the primal rush of two nubile teenage bodies mashed against each other, and the sweatiness and feelings that inevitably ensue. In any case, it's not my place to tell you these things, I'm sorry that your parents failed you.

You're my new favorite poster. The bolded part is the creepiest poo poo I've ever read on these forums, and I've read Aatrek's posts.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Tormented posted:

Doesn't seem so crazy when Adnan said they use to have sex there.

I assume they used to have sex there like...at night. Not in the middle of the day when it's full of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Tots posted:

Honestly, dude sounds pretty credible. He's got more answers than Adnan.

They're completely different answers than all the answers he previously gave. That doesn't equal credibility, that equals making poo poo up.

• Locked thread