Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's hard to say for certain if he's guilty, but there is nowhere near enough evidence to have justified a conviction here. Even at trial there were a lot of inconsistencies on Jay's part, which was the cornerstone of the state's case. Based on what they presented, he should have been acquitted. Unfortunately there really isn't enough physical evidence in this case to say what really happened. It's almost entirely down to testimony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Civil and criminal cases carry completely different standards for a reason.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Watermelon City posted:

By his own admission, Jay helped move and then bury Hae's body. He should not be so incredulous if people think he was involved in her killing.
He's also the only person in this case who has admitted to being with the dead body and burying it. I have no idea what world he's in if he thinks everyone believes he's just some cool dude and not an accessory to murder, at minimum.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

He was somehow able to plead that accessory charge down to criminal mischief or something equally minor, and ended up with just probation.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

mennoknight posted:

why would you guys believe Jay when he says that imam thing? he uh, has kind of lied before.
Yeah I'm not sure either. Does he say how he knows this?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Honestly with a case like this, the idea of it being that other guy they mentioned in Episode 12 makes sense to a degree.

But yeah, I don't understand why many are giving Jay's claims credibility when his story keeps changing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah she clearly pointed out in that episode that she knew that it wasn't the greatest move to go to his house, but she believed that was their best chance of him talking to them at all, which he did.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I agree with the last part that she should have had some kind of ID or something basic.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

She made it pretty clear in that episode that she wanted to do everything possible to speak with him since he was so crucial to the case. The family of Hae or Adnan are peripheral, and we don't know how hard she tried there or not. I don't have an issue with the approach.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

In what world do you live in where the victim's family and the convicts family is peripheral?
I didn't write that properly, but my point was that you need to be more careful as a journalist with those two groups as opposed to this one witness who was already implicated as an accessory. Like she's not going to show up at either one's houses, because I think we can agree that would be inappropriate.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

xbilkis posted:

In the third part of the interview with The Intercept Jay says he suspects Sarah of leaking confidential documents to Reddit, so there's no way someone that stupid could have framed someone else for murder
And it's probably because Reddit told him she did it or something stupid

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think it's hard to argue otherwise, yeah.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Based on what? The cell phone records and that other call are not enough for a 1st degree murder conviction.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

redcheval posted:

Not to mention with Jay's interview and 'this is the real story this time', all the phone record 'evidence' that corroborated his original story goes out the window.
I would also point out that according to the podcast, it sounds like he probably would have been acquitted during the first trial had his lawyer not screwed up. So this could have gone in a completely different way.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kelly posted:

Jay let what was essentially a kid rot in the ground for six weeks without telling anyone and didn't serve a day in jail. He deserves worse than he's getting.
Didn't he also just claim that he knew beforehand that this girl was going to die and did nothing?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I love how people are suddenly sure that he's guilty because the prosecutor said so.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Drunk Tomato posted:

There is no evidence. There is only what "may have" happened, based on two halves of an untrustworthy source: spotty cell phone records and Jay's shoddy testimony.
Yeah that's my problem. It's a very circumstantial case with nothing beyond a lot of speculation and the word of one guy who had plenty of reason to try and save his own rear end at the time.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Euthyphro posted:

Where is the stuff about Adnan's imam pleading the fifth? I haven't been doing much internet sleuthing, but I'd love to check that out.
Jay claims that Adnan confessed to the Imam, but I have not heard anything about that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Also the fact that internet detectives are trying to exonerate Adnan is really loving sad. Don't get me wrong, that Innocence Project endeavor is one thing (and the fact that that woman seemed so confident he was worth trying to exonerate him when she's seen it all is probably the biggest thing I personally find in Adnan's favor). But some loving Redditor stalking Jay's family or some poo poo in an effort to "crack the case" is both pathetic and creepy.
I think we can all agree that Reddit is awful

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

moths posted:

The mosque skimming also led to one of Adnan's more demonstrably manipulative moments: SK portrayed him in a negative light so he withheld communication and "friendship" for a week. I'm no court-qualified expert in identifying manipulative people, but this is the sort of thing people learn to recognize from lovely relationships or bossy co-workers.
People get upset at accusations of theft. I don't think he was playing games. I mean the guy seems remarkably well-adjusted for being in jail for life as it is. That will mess with the best of us.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

stickyfngrdboy posted:

What was jay told, or what did he tell the police, in the interview rooms before they started recording? Has that been covered anywhere? Im just asking questions, see.
I don't think so, because the cops aren't talking, and nothing was recorded.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

drat that was fast.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Wow, color me surprised. Never thought in a million years they would give him that chance.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Spaced God posted:

There just isn't enough evidence to say anything beyond a reasonable doubt.
This is the only part that matters

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Orkin Mang posted:

out the front of his grandma's house i think. he was selling drugs from there at the time. he says this is why he kept lying about where the trunk popped occurred, because he didnt want to get his grandmother into any kind of trouble related to his drug dealing. she's dead so that's why he says he's comfortable telling the truth about it now.
Even though this is about the 10th version of that story he's told now

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah they will still outright ignore instructions at times, this is all too common.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

DARPA posted:

lol at everyone upset that real life isn't as exciting as Law and Order
Are you really that surprised though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think even if you think he's guilty you should not have a problem with a new trial. He did not have adequate representation.

• Locked thread