Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

I hope more time is devoted to Hae's boyfriend. Based on Hae & Adnan's on again off again sort of relationship, perhaps he got jealous. Or Adnan was jealous that Hae really had moved on. I feel as though it was a crime of passion, not premeditated, regardless of who did it. Who would plan to strangle a fit young woman in public in the middle of the afternoon? Whatever the truth is, I am really just enjoying how the story is unfolding.

Adnan's attorney was so grating when questioning Jay. I wonder how the trial would have gone with a different attorney representing Adnan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

Shitshow posted:

We don't find that out at all? We learn that one individual - a regular shoplifter, no less - states that there were no phones at Best Buy and that Koenig can't confirm the fact one way or another despite a lot of research.
You have to pay attention to your surroundings to be a good shoplifter, right? I have always been suspicious of the idea that someone could/would strangle an athletic young woman in the parking lot of a Best Buy in the afternoon so easily.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

User-Friendly posted:

He said they went there to have sex before, it's apparently not the most observant of places.
I had forgotten about that. Back to square one.

If the serialpodcast subreddit is to be believed, Adnan is a perfect sociopath murderer. That might sound unreasonable, but some redditor dude's flair said he was Ph.D psychiatrist Muslim former prosecutor so we can trust him. It's funny how all the internet sleuths pick apart Adnan's every word for proof of lies when they are so credulous about unverified internet experts.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

I'd get behind a missing persons thing. A haunted house would make me angry I gave them money.
For too long nobody has been willing to grant ghosts, poltergeists, and spirits the presumption of innocence.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

The manipulation is apparent to the judge but the exact details do not concern us common folk.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

African AIDS cum posted:

Adnan is guilty and his conviction is valid and just. The podcast is very one-sided and disrespectful to the family of the victim.

Edit: hearsay how? Explain
I disagree with the assertion that the podcast is disrespectful to Hae Lee's family. Koenig doesn't smear her or say anything disrespectful about HML. There's no victim-blaming or slut-shaming or whatever. I think Koenig's zealous attempts to get an interview with the family was problematic, but that's not an indictment of the entire podcast. Serial points out how sloppy the state was in its investigation of Hae's murder. That is what's disrespectful in my opinion.

mcmagic posted:

There is just zero reason for Jay to have done it...
Jay does not seem very reasonable, though, so...

My favorite dumb theory about Jay doing it,
What if they were on the down low?! There's 0 evidence to support it but it provides a neat and tidy explanation for everything.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

Adolescents are impulsive and prone to making regrettable decisions. Adnan could easily be the nice 1st generation Muslim-American friends described and still strangle Hae. The psychopath/sociopath angle reeks of armchair sleuths with more knowledge of police procedurals than psychology and criminology. I'm very skeptical of the premeditation angle, because it rests on Jay's word. I can more easily believe Adnan became angry with Hae during their last interaction and snapped.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

By his own admission, Jay helped move and then bury Hae's body. He should not be so incredulous if people think he was involved in her killing.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

rear end Catchcum posted:

who are you people that you just lend boyfriends of friends borrow your car and cellphone. it's weird.

If he's so concerned about his nana, why sell weed there in the first place?

The imam thing is interesting. If that gets confirmed (is that possible?) than I guess that's it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priest%E2%80%93penitent_privilege

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

In what world do you live in where the victim's family and the convicts family is peripheral?
When you consider the lengths Adnan and Hae went to to keep their social/romantic lives secret from their families, I am not sure Hae's family could provide anything relevant to the case/podcast.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

It's very cynical for people who declined to participate in Serial to then complain that the series seems one-sided. What was supposed to make Serial balanced if not more perspectives?

Watermelon City fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 10, 2015

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

rear end Catchcum posted:

This podcast hosed up the rep of quite a few people. I think Sarah did a fine job but i think she probably left with a worse rep than she went in with
Oh no won't anyone think of poor Jay. All he did was assist in the attempted cover up of murder! The prosecutor had to play to the jury's prejudices by painting Adnan as some fanatic who could not handle how free American women are! :qq: Yeah, whatever.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

African AIDS cum posted:

Who committed this murder?
Adnan, Jay, someone else. I don't know.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

You underestimate Adnan's svengali power.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

Koenig does seem somewhat enamored with him. The part where Adnan says something to the effect of you don't really know me and koenig sounds hurt was off putting. It's like why are you seeking validation from some dude in prison wtf

Watermelon City fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

moths posted:

But jurors aren't necessarily going to understand or appreciate that.
Juries are instructed about this.

• Locked thread