Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Human posted:

2. Adnan and Jay did it together: Adnan and Jay are better friends than they say. Adnan gets Jay's help to kill his ex-girlfriend and Jay goes along for whatever reason. Fun? Didn't think it was actually going to happen? Maybe some type of money making scheme that never came to fruition? It explains a lot about the case - Adnan's memory gaps, why Jay has an elaborate story that is false in the details but accurate in a big picture, lots of things. The one thing that really puts me off about it is that Adnan never turns on Jay. Jay is getting a sweetheart deal while claiming he never did anything but move the body after the fact. If Adnan had sold Jay out as a straight-up accomplice, he would have been able to plead down to a lesser charge and Jay's previous agreement wouldn't hold up because it was for a different crime all together. I don't think Adnan would keep it a secret for all these years.

Going to have to call out Occam's razor on this one.

Adnan cannot turn on Jay because then it proves he know something about the murder and it would just incriminate himself.

Adnan can't sell out Jay without admitting he had something to do with it and has been lying all this time. Right now, Adnan still has his entire family thinking he didn't do it. If he comes out, he will lose his family (who he has admitted even in jail, is still very close to him) for a chance to gain very little.

Adnan gains nothing from admitting it, if he did do it but if he keeps denying it, he might have a chance someone out there at-least getting him out early on parole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Human posted:

I'm not really in a place to rebut, but I'll just say that I don't think your scenario is an Occam's Razor situation. I will say that it is possible, if not the most likely outcome, that Adnan thought it was better to fight it in court rather than take a deal and implicate his accuser.

As in it takes far more assumptions to assume Jay did it or another third party. Jay would have to have been extremely lucky / mastermind to have planned to set up Adnan.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

Disappointing Pie posted:

For me the stories less about what happened in this case and how easily corruptible/broken our legal system is and this is a means to an end to expose it.

This is overblowing it, this is not always true, no system is 100% effective. Our legal system is one of the best in the world but it does involved people and people make mistakes.

Don't drat an entire system because an innocence man might have been put in jail.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

MrWilderheap posted:

This is mostly due to "tough on crime" politicians who have implemented laws that put in place incredibly long mandatory minimum sentences for trivial offenses.

I totally agree but don't confuse broken laws with a broken system.

These laws are placed there because this is what the majority of the people with the power want ether for personal gain or misguided attempt at security. Just look at the push for legalization of pot, laws can change and slowly push towards the norm.

But ultimately, no matter what system you live under, all legal systems use humans and humans are flawed and make mistakes.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

bedpan posted:

If I recall, there was an honest to god serial killer who targeted Asian women operating in the same area at the time. Also, Hae's regular way to and from school took her right past the killer's (or maybe it was just the suspect killer's) house.

If you accept some less than morally appropriate police techniques there are at least two ways to this:

1. The car, having been previously found, is shown to Jay and his identification is massaged into Jay's foreknowledge of the car's location.
2. The police, (recall the question asked of someone 'Where would Adnan get rid of a car?') drive Jay around asking him, "Where is the car?" If his answer comes up dry he is asked again. Finally, the car is discovered and sure enough, Jay knew where the car was!

Police documents show that they did not find the car until Jay took them to the row of houses the car was stashed. They have been looking for days, it would be strange to just happen to find the car the day that Jay came and talked to them.

Also according to the legal documents, Jay knew the precise burial location and according to BPD they did not release the strangulation detail until after Jay told them how Adnan killed her.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

Rumda posted:

Please tell me that's a Photoshop...

http://blog.sfgate.com/hottopics/2014/12/11/best-buy-under-fire-for-serial-tweet/

Nope. It's still up on Best Buy's twitter account.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

axeil posted:

Jay would've had to know that Adnan had no alibi and could have the crime pinned on him. If Adnan was hanging out at school all day or somewhere on camera the whole thing falls apart.

I still think Jay did it, but I don't think he planned to pin it on Adnan until he started realizing the situation and that's why his story is so full of holes.

Or Adnan did it with a lot more of Jay's help than we think. Something along the lines of "Jay was actually there when she died" and that's what all his lies are covering up.

Still calling out Occam's Razor. It makes far more sense that Jay was just making up stories covering for himself and not a mastermind criminal that everything just worked out in his favor.

It's much more simple if Jay helped Adnan bury her and just had second thoughts once the police started questioning everyone. If you hide the truth and helped someone bury a body you will get a accessory to a crime charge at the very least. It was simple to think Jay was trying to wiggle out of jail-time and succeeded.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Seems sorta crazy that Adnan/Jay/whoever may have strangled a girl in a parking lot in broad daylight in the afternoon. Seems like pure luck that they didn't get caught. That is if we accept the theory that she died in either the library parking lot or the best buy parking lot. I guess its really possible it could have been somewhere else.

Doesn't seem so crazy when Adnan said they use to have sex there.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

Jastiger posted:

It is kind of a "dick move" (SK's words, not mine) but that doesn't exonerate him from being ignorant about it. Definitely sketchy at first, but he totally had time to Google her, look it up, and figure out what is going on. I mean he could have just typed in the This American Life website and her name would show up there. The first interview? Totally sketchy. After that though? He intentionally kept himself out of it and is now acting all "b-b-b-but its not fair I didn't get my side told".

No. He had Google, he was an adult, he could have figured out what was happening. I'm not saying he was obligated to participate, I'm just saying the whole argument of "but he didn't' know who she was" is kind of invalidated. By the time he got that email, he knew, and he chose not to participate.

Why?

Really why? Why does he HAVE to talk to her the first time, or do anything in this case?

What gave her the right to come knock on his door and demand him talk to her then turn around and go "Dick move" [for not talking with us]. Guess what she the one who is getting money from his story not him.

Adults do not have to talk to anyone they do not want to unless the person asking the questions are part of law enforcement. Also I don't think its about getting his side told, he was done with it. Its just as simple as he doesn't want to cast in a bad light and have people from the internet calling his house and sending him death threats.

Which they are... 100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

CaptainHollywood posted:

Here's my question: Why did Urick did say he wasn't allowed to talk about the case - but clearly had no issues talking about it with Natasha.

You did read the interview right?

quote:

TI: Why did you not speak to Koenig?

KU: At that time, out of respect for the family. This was a young girl killed at about age 18. Terrible blow to the family. When you deal with victims as a prosecutor, sometimes you have to put them through a trial. Sometimes you have to put them through appeals. Sometimes there’s press coverage that you have to expose them to. But this was 14 years after the fact.

I did not want to be responsible for causing any further anguish for the family. And also, I should’ve put this on the record at the beginning, make it very clear I am no longer employed with the Baltimore City State’s Attorney’s Office. I have not been since 2003. So I’m not a spokesman for the office; I’m not a spokesman for the case. I also took the attitude that if the City State’s Attorney’s Office wanted to have a spokesman, that was their business. I was not going to try to be a spokesman for the case. I have no authority to do so.

He really isn't allowed to talk about the case as he is not a spokesman for the case or office but when something becomes high profile enough people will bend rules.

• Locked thread