Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
This is my favorite game to play while on copious amounts of drugs because it's trippy as gently caress and has an awesome soundtrack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKAp3x5Wcvs

discuss this poo poo and lament about how amusement vision is dead and we will never get another awesome monkey ball or f-zero game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Monkey Bowling.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

What is the best one of these? I've never played them.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Sir John Feelgood posted:

What is the best one of these? I've never played them.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

What about the ones ennui?

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

What about the ones ennui?

idk what that means but 2 is the best

it just sticks you in weird trippy levels like this

and says good luck. and you'll need it cuz it's loving hard

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Sorry, that was my cool way of saying "on Wii."

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Sorry, that was my cool way of saying "on Wii."

ok that's a very cool way of saying it but what's not cool is that any monkey ball that is not called super monkey ball or super monkey ball 2 is complete dog poo poo which includes every monkey ball for the wii or any monkey that's not on gamecube hth

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
why is nobody busting in to defend super monkey ball 2 with me. i thought imp zone was the place where people liked good games

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
super monkey ball 2 and mario sunshine came out the same day.

sega did a great job, and made the superior product

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

g0lbez posted:

ok that's a very cool way of saying it but what's not cool is that any monkey ball that is not called super monkey ball or super monkey ball 2 is complete dog poo poo which includes every monkey ball for the wii or any monkey that's not on gamecube hth
drat, that sucks. I guess I'll get the second one. Thanks for the info.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Liquid Penguins posted:

super monkey ball 2 and mario sunshine came out the same day.

sega did a great job, and made the superior product

sega made this amazing game, and then made f-zero using the same engine.

now, sega makes sonic boom

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
<super monkey ball 2> this stage is called uhh... fluctuation i guess. here's some trippy music and things flying everywhere. good luck fucker

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
anybody else remember spending like literal hours doing this?

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
that stage was a bitch

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

i watch cosmowright do speedruns of monkey ball sometimes and they're cool

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

mabels big day posted:

i watch cosmowright do speedruns of monkey ball sometimes and they're cool

is that the guy who constantly speedruns oot all day every day?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

clearly not if he does monkey ball speedruns too :rolleyes:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

he did for a while, but he got pretty much the best possible run he could hope for, until more time saving glitches are found, so that game is pretty much retired. he's been doing goldeneye lately.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
very few people are posting in this thread about how awesome monkey ball 2 is

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

g0lbez posted:

very few people are posting in this thread about how awesome monkey ball 2 is

it's good; my friend had it when i was younger and we were both pretty bad at it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG8023T6h48

here's a speedrun of it, at agdq. a lot of menu canceling cutscenes but its cool how they hop around the stages at super speed

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

mabels big day posted:

it's good; my friend had it when i was younger and we were both pretty bad at it

here's a speedrun of it, at agdq. a lot of menu canceling cutscenes but its cool how they hop around the stages at super speed

thanks i'll watch it when i give a gently caress about speedruns

which will probably be tomorrow afternoon actually

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

mabels big day posted:

he did for a while, but he got pretty much the best possible run he could hope for, until more time saving glitches are found, so that game is pretty much retired. he's been doing goldeneye lately.

it is pretty scary/sad how watching a cosmo run of oot is the same as watching a modern TAS

anyway heres sega's current endeavors https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPwXKHqdXDw

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mabels big day posted:

this is cool but the going into menu to cancel the celebration animation ruins it for me. its super annoying

i wish theyd just take the time loss to make the run actually watchable

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
who else remembers 8 bracelets

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

g0lbez posted:

who else remembers 8 bracelets

anybody else in the entire loving imp zone play super monkey ball 2 at all loving christ

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

g0lbez posted:

anybody else in the entire loving imp zone play super monkey ball 2 at all loving christ

woah...take a chill pill..

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Bobnumerotres posted:

woah...take a chill pill..

it's a really good game

Iron Casanova
Dec 7, 2012

Visual SHOCK! Speed SHOCK! Sound SHOCK!
I wish the games after 2 were better, the quality of the games just seemed to have dropped off.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Iron Casanova posted:

I wish the games after 2 were better, the quality of the games just seemed to have dropped off.

because they were not made by amusement vision.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
SMB2 is great but I'm torn whether the crazy moving stages are better than the slightly less crazy stages in the original. It certainly makes sense for a sequel, though.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Discount Viscount posted:

SMB2 is great but I'm torn whether the crazy moving stages are better than the slightly less crazy stages in the original. It certainly makes sense for a sequel, though.

this stage is called uhh... BIRTH *blocks fly out from every loving weird angle and you're expected to maneuver past them all*

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Evil Eagle posted:

Monkey Bowling.

I'm sorry, did you mean: Monkey Target.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

g0lbez posted:

this stage is called uhh... BIRTH *blocks fly out from every loving weird angle and you're expected to maneuver past them all*

Like the speedruns show in a lot of them it's pretty much about finding the one block to bounce off and reach the exit immediately.

That's kinda why I'm torn. In the original there were many stages that had that as a solution, but it was like a lateral thinking puzzle after you'd already beaten the stage the straightforward way. In SMB2 it seems more like a requirement.

That or I loving suck at SMB2 since basically I played through the story mode and then didn't play much after that.

The audacity of some of the stages is goddamn hilarious, though. I love when game designers are clearly loving with the player.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Monkey Target is great and I never actually got very good at it.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Discount Viscount posted:

Like the speedruns show in a lot of them it's pretty much about finding the one block to bounce off and reach the exit immediately.

That's kinda why I'm torn. In the original there were many stages that had that as a solution, but it was like a lateral thinking puzzle after you'd already beaten the stage the straightforward way. In SMB2 it seems more like a requirement.

That or I loving suck at SMB2 since basically I played through the story mode and then didn't play much after that.

The audacity of some of the stages is goddamn hilarious, though. I love when game designers are clearly loving with the player.

if you're watching a speedrun to get into the game you're doing it wrong. the only level that requires any sort of speedrun techniques is anthropod because that level is bullshit and also one of the extra stages that's called like "bumps" or something

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

monkey fight, monkey bowling, and moneky target are all good.

Iron Casanova
Dec 7, 2012

Visual SHOCK! Speed SHOCK! Sound SHOCK!

g0lbez posted:

because they were not made by amusement vision.

Well drat, I assumed Sega would have had the same people work on it.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
It's been a while since I played so yeah I might not know wtf I'm talking about.

The video player buttons are a nice gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Monkeyball 2 was the best Monkeyball and an all around great game but the first one had a couple of things going for it: It didn't have as many gimmick levels that aimed for form over function, and monkey target was cooler.

• Locked thread