Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ChronoReverse posted:

The reason All Might was the pillar was because he has the power to pull it off. It's easy to say "that's silly, they should believe in all the heroes" but logically that's only a valid premise if the other heroes could (collectively) do what All Might does.

The MHA world right from the beginning was cultivating young heroes, distributed heroing all around, had the top heroes (not just All Might) inspiring more, etc. but Allmade possible because All Might recognized the need for and stood up to be the pillar.

This idea that All Might was somehow stalling the transition is wrong in the first place and the whole reason the pillar collapsed is because of a singularly immense threat that nothing but he could stand up to in the first place.

The modern peaceful hero world we see in MHA has only existed in the lifetime and tenure of All Might. Heroes existed before All Might dunked AfO the first time, but we are explicitly told that society was corrupt and lived under a veneer of fear because AfO was controlling everything. All Might broke that and became society's safety blanket - his catchphrase "I Am Here" made everyone think that he would always be present and capable of handling anything that ever happened, which he was, up until the point that he suddenly wasn't. Even if AfO hadn't crippled All Might, All Might would have eventually gotten old and died or retired, and the same uncertainty would have occurred, just later.

The fact that we see a high powered political meeting shortly after the Kamino fight where government officials have a furious, heated debate about "what the gently caress do we do now that All Might is out" is a pretty strong indication that society and the powers that be don't actually have any real faith in the hero system as a whole without All Might. The response to All Might retiring from the number one spot being "okay we'll just promote a new Number One, congratulations, Endeavor, you're the new All Might" means that they still haven't broken from the idea that society needs to be anchored and lynchpinned around one Super Awesome Dude.

Hammering relentlessly on the Justice League comparisons, when poo poo is going south in Justice League, the public doesn't speed dial Superman - they call the Justice League and assume the JL as a whole can handle it even if Superman is unavailable, which means that if Superman is unavailable everything doesn't go to poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
So basically you agree? I can't completely make out what you're trying to say because heroing in MHA was transitioning towards not needing the pillar until it turned out that it was still needed. Not because society had withdrawal symptoms but because there were still threats that needed a pillar to stand against.

What exactly are you saying should have been done that was not already happening right from the beginning of MHA?

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 20, 2020

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ChronoReverse posted:

So basically you agree? I can't make out what you're trying to say because heroing in MHA was transitioning towards not needing the pillar until it turned out that it was still needed.

What exactly are you saying should have been done that was not already happening right from the beginning of MHA?

All Might's entire approach after first dethroning AfO was fundamentally flawed because he tried to take too much onto himself. Heroing in MHA was never transitioning towards not needing a pillar because people assumed the pillar would always be there, and the moment the pillar collapsed they immediately tried to set up a new pillar with the next guy in line.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Kanos posted:

All Might's entire approach after first dethroning AfO was fundamentally flawed because he tried to take too much onto himself. Heroing in MHA was never transitioning towards not needing a pillar because people assumed the pillar would always be there, and the moment the pillar collapsed they immediately tried to set up a new pillar with the next guy in line.
I'm saying this is incorrect because
(1) Endeavor took the most cases not All Might
(2) There are tons of heroing schools nurturing the next generation with emphasis on inspiring more heroes (and we're explicitly shown that heroes not inspired by All Might exist and have already inspired subsequent generations)
(3) All Might himself hesitated to just concentrate more power into Mirio but eventually gave it to Deku for the sake of more heroes

The world was clearly in transition towards not needing a pillar but it turned out that it needed a pillar more than ever. If anything, if they had not been moving in transition away from the pillar, the world would have had fewer problems because Mirio would have been there as the pillar by now and would have been able to take care of each of the big events we've seen in MHA.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 20, 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Just thought about Deku's successor tapping into the spirits of One for All and asking him in One Space what his Quirk was and Deku's like "uhhh, I have a really thick notebook of Hero notes"

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Looking through Horikoshi's old pre-MHA art and he really does have some motifs he digs

Motif.

Mo' teef.

:suicide:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oh hey I just noticed the bag straps form two hands holding.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Since last week had a lot of people interested in this week, spoilers are probably gonna be spammed all over now that they're showing up if you try to avoid them just FYI.

So, fair warning- stuff happens this chapter:
https://pastebin.com/rV4bs1ft

Also as usual, I'm excited to see the official scans. The early 2000's era phonecam quality spoilers look like poo poo, and the details in this chapter will be more murdered by the lovely speedscans than usual.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 24, 2020

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

you gotta have bigger warning signs on a spoiler like that

but I'm still a dumbass for clicking

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

galenanorth posted:

you gotta have bigger warning signs on a spoiler like that

but I'm still a dumbass for clicking
I just put it in a pastebin. I don't really have issues with spoilertalk for anything elsewhere since a lot of boards tend to have spoilertags that require clicking rather than a mouseover.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Fabricated posted:

So, fair warning- stuff happens this chapter:
https://pastebin.com/rV4bs1ft

That would be an interesting development, but goddamn I'd have to feel at least a little sorry for him at that point.

Also, having just look at the raw scans, it seems like Endeavor's not really going for a non-lethal takedown anymore. I mean, I can't blame him but :stonk:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 24, 2020

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

jfc Twitter just burst into flames

Can't wait for this chapter

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Vinylshadow posted:

jfc Twitter just burst into flames

Can't wait for this chapter
I'm skipping speedscans this week. They're gonna look even more like trash than usual.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Countdown to this thread dipping back into an old, tumultuous well

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Welp, gonna try and avoid spoilers. See y'all Sunday!

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/CDCubed/status/1309240236145139712?s=20 smh the spoiler fandom got obnoxious enough to spoil the drat translator

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
Deku just fucken wailing on Shigaraki at 100% like he's a paddleboard but also I just can't see how this isn't going to cause significant lasting damage. I guess Endeavor's probably gonna be dead now too.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Professorjuggalo posted:

https://twitter.com/CDCubed/status/1309240236145139712?s=20 smh the spoiler fandom got obnoxious enough to spoil the drat translator

ngl every time this thread starts posting early scans and poo poo I understand exactly where caleb is coming from

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
As long as it’s tagged it’s all gravy imo, I feel like the official scans ‘reset’ any chapter discussion anyway. But it’s also fair game to not read spoiler posts and post your own thoughts before you look at any of the spoiler tagged backlog

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
im sorry but for those of you that dislike spoilers, why do you get so upset about people talking about them so long as they are tagged appropriately in here? i do not understand and am asking sincerely, i am stating it this way in an attempt to be unambiguous and i dont intend to come across as sacrastic or anything

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Kithkar posted:

Deku just fucken wailing on Shigaraki at 100% like he's a paddleboard but also I just can't see how this isn't going to cause significant lasting damage. I guess Endeavor's probably gonna be dead now too.

i mean i fuckin hope!! like poo poo is incredibly dire.. shigaraki has the power, motivation and insanity to kill everyone and everything if given a moment's respite... there's no real time to philosophize here, he's just got to be killed. this is one of those times where you can ask questions later and be pretty justified about it i think

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
*quickly flips through the thread index of other classic topics* uhhhhh stain was pretty cool

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I know in the past the only thing that really prevented me from making the official translation my go-to source for reading is that by the time it came out the discussions in these threads were pretty much over.

That doesn't seem like as big a problem now that more people are reading the official translation and it comes out earlier than it used to, but there can still sometimes be a ton of discussion that you just can't participate in that can mostly die out by Sunday.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

tbp posted:

im sorry but for those of you that dislike spoilers, why do you get so upset about people talking about them so long as they are tagged appropriately in here? i do not understand and am asking sincerely, i am stating it this way in an attempt to be unambiguous and i dont intend to come across as sacrastic or anything

Professorjuggalo posted:

As long as it’s tagged it’s all gravy imo, I feel like the official scans ‘reset’ any chapter discussion anyway. But it’s also fair game to not read spoiler posts and post your own thoughts before you look at any of the spoiler tagged backlog

Well, for starters, this is just false. The spoiler talk consumes full pages sometimes and then the actual chapter release occasionally doesn't even get posted, and if it does it can be a footnote.

There aren't even speedscans yet, spoilerchat is basically reporting some dude's hearsay from a language you don't speak. Remember when Twice died? And this thread couldn't stop making GBS threads on Dabi because the early spoilers said it was his fault? And then that turned out to be completely wrong?

I also just don't feel like my desire to have the main thread for this manga not be talking about things that haven't happened yet in the released manga three days a week is really that unreasonable. What purpose does it serve besides vicarious pre-enjoyment? If you need to talk about spoilers that bad make a new thread for it, I'm sick of wading through black bars and being told I'm the one who needs to unbookmark this thread Thursday through Sunday.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arist posted:

Well, for starters, this is just false. The spoiler talk consumes full pages sometimes and then the actual chapter release occasionally doesn't even get posted, and if it does it can be a footnote.

There aren't even speedscans yet, spoilerchat is basically reporting some dude's hearsay from a language you don't speak. Remember when Twice died? And this thread couldn't stop making GBS threads on Dabi because the early spoilers said it was his fault? And then that turned out to be completely wrong?

I also just don't feel like my desire to have the main thread for this manga not be talking about things that haven't happened yet in the released manga three days a week is really that unreasonable. What purpose does it serve besides vicarious pre-enjoyment? If you need to talk about spoilers that bad make a new thread for it, I'm sick of wading through black bars and being told I'm the one who needs to unbookmark this thread Thursday through Sunday.

Got to agree.

Speaking purely personal, I'm able to roll with speedscans. It's not as good as the real thing, but it means you're getting the same basic experience, just lower quality.

But when it's raws, you're getting all the spoilers (and often a lot of bullshit) without the context that makes a story instead of someone yelling "Darth Vader is Luke's Father!" or "It was his sled!" in an unrelated thread. It's the worst version of the manga, and when the discussion revolves around that, it just means people who care about context (or legality) are locked out of the discussion loop.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I wonder how many people who read the speed scans don’t actually check out the real pages.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

chiasaur11 posted:

Got to agree.

Speaking purely personal, I'm able to roll with speedscans. It's not as good as the real thing, but it means you're getting the same basic experience, just lower quality.

But when it's raws, you're getting all the spoilers (and often a lot of bullshit) without the context that makes a story instead of someone yelling "Darth Vader is Luke's Father!" or "It was his sled!" in an unrelated thread. It's the worst version of the manga, and when the discussion revolves around that, it just means people who care about context (or legality) are locked out of the discussion loop.
The speedscans can have translations that are so bad that they're more misleading than the bad untranslated raws.

Arist posted:

Anyone here raise your hand if you don't know where the Viz website is

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Arist posted:

It's kind of odd how much of a specific issue it is with the MHA thread. Even the One Piece thread doesn't talk about the spoilers until at least a fantranslation comes out, and there's still plenty of chat after the official comes out too.

It might not be a bad idea to spin off this thread into two threads-an open spoilers manga thread and a No Spoilers manga thread. Especially since this thread is over 1000 pages and is almost 6 years old at this point.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Julias posted:

It's kind of odd how much of a specific issue it is with the MHA thread. Even the One Piece thread doesn't talk about the spoilers until at least a fantranslation comes out, and there's still plenty of chat after the official comes out too.

It might not be a bad idea to spin off this thread into two threads-an open spoilers manga thread and a No Spoilers manga thread. Especially since this thread is over 1000 pages and is almost 6 years old at this point.
Eh, we could just not post spoilers. It's fine- they're pretty reliably out every Thursday until the next wave of raw providers get arrested and everyone knows where to find them (Twitter). Might be worth telling people to mute the bnha/mha tags on Twitter though when big stuff drops because this chapter trended on a couple different topics.

Also spoilers get discussed in the Chainsaw Man thread because there's -really- fast speedscans done for it.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I feel like OP is an exception since it had a really long time wrt the spoiler/scanlations stuff, and this manga had fallen angels scanlations doing that early chunk too. But valid points y’all make regardless

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I think this thread would be better without spoiler chat. Or at least it would be better to wait until there's an actual speed scan out.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't even like speedscan chat because then you get pages of people arguing over poo poo that's been mistranslated for days.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Julias posted:

I think spoiler chat is fine once the fan translations are out, I'm fine reading sloppy translations and then proper ones again a few days later - it helps my dumb brain parse action scenes and it's fun to see different takes on the same source material. Having a dedicated spoiler thread would suck for situations like this one where spoiler info gets leaked before the actual speed scans are up, so it's either "get fully spoiled on everything out of context" or "wait 2-3 days longer before you can find out what happens"

Yeah yeah I know an extra 2 days isn't the end of the world BUT I'M IMPATIENT OKAY

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I actually thought this thread has been pretty good about containing spoiler discussion behind spoilers, while also still having a bunch of discussion once the actual chapter comes out. I'm surprised there are some people who don't agree.

The previous chapter had an early scan that was incomprehensible, we reacted to it initially and went "Neat", and then the actual chapter came out and we had a couple pages discussing Bakugo being introspective about how he's treated Deku. Was there a problem with how we handled that?

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I think the spoiler rules are fine as is.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
as someone who's done both scans and official for various comics, its fine as long as they're behind tags. ppl post plenty afterward and now that im reading the official chapters i tend to just scroll back and read the couple pages of spoilers if i want to see more discussion :shrug:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ya that's basically been my policy. Read the officials then go back for any spoilers.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Professorjuggalo posted:

i understand where he's coming from but lol you can read the newest chapters for free

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Jose posted:

i understand where he's coming from but lol you can read the newest chapters for free

I think the point is he’s the one doing all the work so you can read the chapters for free. And yet twitter trolls start to get mad at him for being slower or even harass him about work he would be starting the next day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

M_Gargantua posted:

I think the point is he’s the one doing all the work so you can read the chapters for free. And yet twitter trolls start to get mad at him for being slower or even harass him about work he would be starting the next day.
People on twitter who read speedscans or spoilers even know he exists?