Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Other neat lil' things I've picked up on in subsequent readings:

- Iida initially gives of the vibe of a super smarts kind of guy but I really like how it seems that he needs to have things explained to him often.
- Demon horns girl is SUPER JAZZED about this fight that's just started.
- I get the sense that we might get to really learn about the whole class here rather than just the lead crew, which is exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

kidcoelacanth posted:

- I get the sense that we might get to really learn about the whole class here rather than just the lead crew, which is exciting.

Translation: MORE FROG GIRL.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
"Taste of a man whose sparkles will never die" is an amazing description for a costume. Navel dude is still pretty great.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Oh, awesome, there is a topic for this.

This comic really has some potential. I know it's been said before, but it's got some serious chances to be a big contender.

I'm sort of mixed on the main character's costume, the big smile throws it off me. Everyone else's costume is great.

I love the fact he used a mix of his normal strength and time spent observing heroes to fight Katsuki. There is just something endearing about beating a villain with your guts and wits and not your powers.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Wow, this is really good. At first I was turned off by it turning out not to be "normal kid batmans his way through Hero School" but this is just as good. He earns his power and even once he gets it, it has serious drawbacks that he has to work through. Plus as this latest chapter shows--he's no pushover without his power. I'm looking forward to a nice mix of overpowered and powerless solutions to Deku's problems.

Covok posted:

Oh, awesome, there is a topic for this.

This comic really has some potential. I know it's been said before, but it's got some serious chances to be a big contender.

I'm sort of mixed on the main character's costume, the big smile throws it off me. Everyone else's costume is great.

I love the fact he used a mix of his normal strength and time spent observing heroes to fight Katsuki. There is just something endearing about beating a villain with your guts and wits and not your powers.

I'm thinking that maybe this one will get wrecked in the fight and he'll get a similar, but new one after. It's half-blasted already.

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 16, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

kidcoelacanth posted:

- Iida initially gives of the vibe of a super smarts kind of guy but I really like how it seems that he needs to have things explained to him often.

I like Iida, he's the "smart guy" but he can also be kind of obtuse and miss obvious things and such; rather than the usual insufferable know-it-all, he comes off a bit more real. I know people like that.

Waffleman_ posted:

Translation: MORE FROG GIRL.

Seconding this.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

I like Iida, he's the "smart guy" but he can also be kind of obtuse and miss obvious things and such; rather than the usual insufferable know-it-all, he comes off a bit more real. I know people like that.

Yeah this is what I was trying to get at but I'm not words good.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Roland Jones posted:

I also like that he doesn't get mad or snippy when he misses something (or just thinks he's missed something).

I wasn't sure about this series for the first chapter or so, but this is pretty drat good so far and looks like it could be great over the long-haul.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The author's put himself in a good position by explaining the quirks away with "it's just the deal, yo" which I hope means we can expect a wild variety of wacky abilities and characters.

I think I'm getting myself too excited about this series but I have really high hopes for it.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Considering her quirk, I feel Uraraka really should've requested heavy-duty armour.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

HiveCommander posted:

Considering her quirk, I feel Uraraka really should've requested heavy-duty armour.

That's actually a pretty good idea, with an emphasis on the heavy. She can just make it weightless. Though I'm wondering about the details on her drawback: does she get nausea because of overuse (number/mass of objects affected), duration of use, or because she makes herself weightless and that just makes her barfy. Depending on what it is, heavy armor might or might not be practical.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Mr. Fowl posted:

That's actually a pretty good idea, with an emphasis on the heavy. She can just make it weightless. Though I'm wondering about the details on her drawback: does she get nausea because of overuse (number/mass of objects affected), duration of use, or because she makes herself weightless and that just makes her barfy. Depending on what it is, heavy armor might or might not be practical.

Yeah i feel like if she constantly had to make herself/clothes weightless just to move she'd just be nauseous all the time.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how Deku and Ochako's powers interact, and I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot of that given how obviously they're being set up as our main couple. Maybe Ochako's null-grav can ease the physical strain from All For One? They're both highly unintuitive powers that are an absolute bitch to use in a proper fight, so that offers plenty of opportunity for the author to get creative.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
We've seen gravity manipulators in Darker than Black, they're pretty terrifying in a fight when you're not expecting it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

We've seen gravity manipulators in Darker than Black, they're pretty terrifying in a fight when you're not expecting it.

True, but I'm pretty sure any hero who tried to fight like a Contractor would get booted out before they could get through their first villainous 'mwahaha'. This is a very different sort of story.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Gravity/mass manipulation is pretty OP as gently caress. If it works on people, make them massless and flick them into the stratosphere. If not, just make debris light as air, throw it, turn its mass back on before it gets to the target.

If you want to get really pedantic on a "this is why this power is really ridiculous" level if she can remove the "gravity" from the air itself couldn't she turn the area you're in to 0 atmospheres of pressure and kill you?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Roland Jones posted:

The thing I really like about Iida is the one step beyond that - I have a feeling he's the smart guy BECAUSE he is constantly asking questions. Whenever he doesn't understand something, he asks questions about it! And he accepts whatever answer you may give him, nods along, and then keeps asking questions if he is still confused. Sometimes he is asking questions about things that are super obvious, sure, but I really like that he'll ask those questions anyway. He is the Smart Guy BECAUSE he keeps questioning everything and everyone around him, and that's a nice touch. It's way better than the know it all approach, for sure.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Mr. Fowl posted:

"normal kid batmans his way through Hero School"

Boy do I have a cancelled series that you should read!

Also this manga's great. I'm not really up on Western artists, can anyone tell me where All Might's true form might be coming from? It reminds me of something but I'm not sure what.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Rodyle posted:

That just got me curious on what that guy's been up to ever since his Mirrors romcom ended/got canceled. Well, the good news he is doing something more action-focused again on Jump's online manga. The bad news is that it's even more fanservice-driven because it's online. Kinda like a fanservice version of Parasyte oddly enough.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Throw me into the pile of people that got into the series because of the frog girl and and are now following it because it's pretty cool. :getin:

Also yeah, gravity powers are loving terrifying when you realize that mass and density stays the same when all you're doing is modulating how much force gravity has on something, and thus how much it weighs. Swing around a thick block of lead like it's nothing and you can do some serious damage.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm surprised how interested everyone is in frog girl. Didn't even notice her till you all brought it up.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Frogs are cute and girls are cute, so when you put them together, you get double cute. Worked with Eruka from Soul Eater.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I want to start reading this but the translation of chapter 1 is horrible. I'm having trouble even finishing it. Are there any better ones available? I'm contemplating just looking for raws at this point...

EDIT: Apparently the one on Batoto is different from the one I found. Nevermind!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Batoto's the only one I've seen with the good translation for chapter 1, yeah. Everywhere else is fine to stick with the old awful one.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

tlarn posted:

Throw me into the pile of people that got into the series because of the frog girl and and are now following it because it's pretty cool. :getin:

Also yeah, gravity powers are loving terrifying when you realize that mass and density stays the same when all you're doing is modulating how much force gravity has on something, and thus how much it weighs. Swing around a thick block of lead like it's nothing and you can do some serious damage.

Yeah gravity girl has a ridiculous power. She only has to touch a person once and they're basically hosed and can't fight anymore(unless they can fly). Most of the powers we've seen so far are pretty good actually.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Rodyle posted:

Also this manga's great. I'm not really up on Western artists, can anyone tell me where All Might's true form might be coming from? It reminds me of something but I'm not sure what.

I get kind of a Jhonen Vasquez vibe, but maybe that's just me.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

RatHat posted:

Yeah gravity girl has a ridiculous power. She only has to touch a person once and they're basically hosed and can't fight anymore(unless they can fly). Most of the powers we've seen so far are pretty good actually.
Well yeah, when you extrapolate what a power does significantly and raise its power to the extreme almost every power looks good. More realistically (from an in-universe standpoint) the actual effectiveness of their power will come from how costly it is to use. For an example with gravity girl, I imagine that the energy cost to making something weightless increases exponentially as its mass does, so I'm not sure if she can start tossing around boulders yet. As much as I kind of love the idea of her turning off all the gravitational force in a star to cause it to explode, I imagine that things are gonna be significantly more mundane.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
But like I said, you guys seem to be jumping to the 'murder everything' option. This is an idealistic superhero show where the lead character is currently trying to avoid using his power because it doesn't yet have a non-lethal setting. That seems to imply that the usual methods for making a character like Ochako powerful won't really fit.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Twiddy posted:

But like I said, you guys seem to be jumping to the 'murder everything' option. This is an idealistic superhero show where the lead character is currently trying to avoid using his power because it doesn't yet have a non-lethal setting. That seems to imply that the usual methods for making a character like Ochako powerful won't really fit.

Imagine taking off at a full tilt sprint, and youre just as strong as before, but suddenly you weigh 20 lbs. Youd either immediately faceplant or rocket into a wall. I can imagine a ton of ways to use her power nonleathally. In this test she doesnt even have to fight, Rocket legs is smart but dumb, I can imagine shed be able to just pick up the fake nuke and walk out of the building with it if she came up behind him, he wouldnt expect someone to just walk away with the big heavy target.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Meme Emulator posted:

Imagine taking off at a full tilt sprint, and youre just as strong as before, but suddenly you weigh 20 lbs. Youd either immediately faceplant or rocket into a wall. I can imagine a ton of ways to use her power nonleathally. In this test she doesnt even have to fight, Rocket legs is smart but dumb, I can imagine shed be able to just pick up the fake nuke and walk out of the building with it if she came up behind him, he wouldnt expect someone to just walk away with the big heavy target.

Stormlight Archives book series has someone with powers that can change the direction and force of gravity on himself he jumps in the air feet first at a guy wearing armor and increases his gravity pull in that direction breaking the guys armor and his legs.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Meme Emulator posted:

It's actually paper mache, Iida himself pointed this out. (I missed it the first time too, laughed when I was rereading the chapter and saw that.) Though picking it up and walking away with it would still be pretty funny.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Rodyle posted:

First thing I thought of was he jumped out of Hyde and Closer, lotta pointy angular dudes with kooky toothy grins there. As far as anemic alter-egos go, there's probably a wide range of inspiration there in concept if not in design, first that springs to mind is Shazam of course.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

It's actually paper mache, Iida himself pointed this out. (I missed it the first time too, laughed when I was rereading the chapter and saw that.) Though picking it up and walking away with it would still be pretty funny.

In that case, increase the gravity on it until it collapses through the floor! Though there probably won't be much left of the prop afterwards...

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don't think she can make stuff heavier(yet), just make stuff lighter.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

RatHat posted:

I don't think she can make stuff heavier(yet), just make stuff lighter.

Yet is definitely the key word here :getin:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Having let Hero Academia sink in for a day, two things came out at me:

All Might's name makes a lot more sense when you consider his power. I'd initially chalked it up to your run-of-the-mill odd use of English. But it's really a good representation of his power--the combined might of who knows how many people--and of course the word almighty. All For One Might, you might say. Dunno, thought it was neat.

Also, I realized that Deku's costume isn't just meant to refer to All Might--with that smile and his build, he looks a lot more like All Might's true form than anything else. Except maybe a demented rabbit or a flea. Silly that I didn't think of it sooner.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

:allears: I am very glad I clicked the link and found this, this is amazing and I hope it continues to be amazing.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Fabricated posted:

If you want to get really pedantic on a "this is why this power is really ridiculous" level if she can remove the "gravity" from the air itself couldn't she turn the area you're in to 0 atmospheres of pressure and kill you?

There's a Jojo villain who does exactly this, it's pretty rad.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Fabricated posted:

I'm having trouble making the connection here. That doesn't seem like it follows even using goofy comic book physics.

EDIT: Seems like it might be a good way to create wind, though.

Zero_Tactility fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Mr. Fowl posted:

Having let Hero Academia sink in for a day, two things came out at me:

All Might's name makes a lot more sense when you consider his power. I'd initially chalked it up to your run-of-the-mill odd use of English. But it's really a good representation of his power--the combined might of who knows how many people--and of course the word almighty. All For One Might, you might say. Dunno, thought it was neat.

Also, I realized that Deku's costume isn't just meant to refer to All Might--with that smile and his build, he looks a lot more like All Might's true form than anything else. Except maybe a demented rabbit or a flea. Silly that I didn't think of it sooner.

It really looks like the costume designers used Donny Darko as their inspiration to make Deku's costume not be a blatant rip-off of All Might's.