Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
I reread chapter 1 of the team-up spinoff and it seems relevant to the ongoing thread conversation about villainy.

So the villain there has a Quirk that makes him release poison into the atmosphere. If he can't bleed it off in controlled bursts he either vents it all into the world around him or he dies (not sure which?), but he can't do controlled bursts because he's not licensed, so he just has to wait until he literally cannot keep it inside himself, at which point he's a villain by default and without his consent. Still, he tries to stay away from populated areas as best he can. The heroes throw him up into the sky so he can burn off all his reserves of toxic gas, which are killing him, and I thought "oh, this is kind of addressing the concerns I've had."

And then he goes to jail!

Like, what were his options, here? What non-illegal choice did he have besides "die in full compliance with Quirk regulations"? I realize the reasonable solution would probably be "ask a hero for help" or "find an uninhabited area," but considering the stigma against villainous quirks, the fact that they chose Mirko, noted fan of violence-first solutions, as the teamup for this chapter, and the difficulties and costs of living somewhere you can just illegally spew toxins into the atmosphere on a regular basis, etc. I'm not all that surprised at this result.

EDIT: wow this seems like a great way to start a page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's pretty consistent in vigilantes as well that society at least in Japan doesn't deal with more divergent quirks super well. The bug man who got hit with trigger and turned into a giant bug man ended up basically homeless after the heroes and police beat him up and released him, with All Might's detective friend basically telling him to apply for housing assistance. He ended up living in a warehouse.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Early scans are out for this weekend's chapter.

It's pretty much the actual payoff for the past few months of buildup. I'm super stoked to see the final version in a couple days and for the next 1-2 months of fighting.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

SKULL.GIF posted:

Early scans are out for this weekend's chapter.

It's pretty much the actual payoff for the past few months of buildup. I'm super stoked to see the final version in a couple days and for the next 1-2 months of fighting.
lol the doctor (whose new name I forget) did in fact mass produce the anti-quirk bullets but the machine with them was destroyed.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I read a fan theory that stated Bakugo was an angry asshat because his Quirk's production of nitroglycerin constantly brings his heart rate down so he needs to stay amped at all times

it makes sense but I kind of feel that it tries a bit too hard to make his character flaws more tragic

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Bakugo is a intense rear end in a top hat cause hes cool

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Bakugo should prepare for big battles by going through drug withdrawal, so he can get a good cold sweat going.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Bakugou should prepare for big battles by eating spicy food like curry and peppers

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

ya, being an intense rear end in a top hat just because is better than trying to make it needlessly tragic

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also has he tried running?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I'm going to say it's more that he's had unfair expectations placed on him due to his quirk being considered a very "good" one. That and learning his coping mechanisms from his dominant parent being his mom.

That being said I do love the idea that his quirk has subconsciously influenced his behavior because of an animalistic instinct that comes with it. The body understands it needs to be sweaty to protect itself so it keeps his heart rate going which makes him an amped-up dude because that's how he copes with his anxiety.

If this manga was a seinen I would love for that wrinkle to be introduced to the nurture vs nature debate. Are villains truly villains or is there quirk simply wiring them to behave a way that contracts society's expectations. I understand this is being explored to an extent with Toga which I think is really cool.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
That guys realizes what he's saying is dumb as hell right at the end but just smashes the post button anyways.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Very interesting take, though as a scholar myself, I much prefer viewing current events through the lens of the tried and tested Harry Potter school of philosophy.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Sorry, but I'll need a pony photoshopped in there before I can empathize with the situation.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 30, 2020

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, that take is just silly. I mean we all know that the current U.S. closely parallels late Roman republic anyways, there is no need to complicate things with bringing some random manga into the mix.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

I read a fan theory that stated Bakugo was an angry asshat because his Quirk's production of nitroglycerin constantly brings his heart rate down so he needs to stay amped at all times

it makes sense but I kind of feel that it tries a bit too hard to make his character flaws more tragic

Carlosologist posted:

ya, being an intense rear end in a top hat just because is better than trying to make it needlessly tragic

They just wanted to make a Crank joke.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Sorry, but I'll need a pony photoshopped in there before I can empathize with the situation.

One cursed image coming right up

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

No, we meant Tsunotori!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Time to pony up this week’s chapter: https://w16.readheroacademia.com/manga/boku-no-hero-academia-chapter-273/

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Good luck, Toga-Chan.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

bakugo sucks and is awful and i do not understand at all why people like him

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Ramadu posted:

Running over this same old ground, and have we fou-ou-ound...

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Well,

godspeed Endeavour.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 30, 2020

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I wonder if we're gonna go for a timeskip soon.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"Try to turn fire to dust, fucko."

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I don't think Endeavor is going to die here, but he's definitely not coming out of this without a souvenir.

Ramadu posted:

This is a pretty weird response to him carrying a child with his mouth.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
The fact that the little area he was standing on and the machine next to him survived the Decay wave makes me wonder if Shigaraki can control what he does and doesn't decay now?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Could this be the end of Endeavour? It feels like they wouldn't kill him without the proper Dabi reveal, but he's also in an absurdly dangerous situation and it's hard to see how he's supposed to just trade some blows and then part ways with Shiggy.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Dolash posted:

Could this be the end of Endeavour? It feels like they wouldn't kill him without the proper Dabi reveal, but he's also in an absurdly dangerous situation and it's hard to see how he's supposed to just trade some blows and then part ways with Shiggy.

I could see this ending in a way that puts Endeavor out of commission without killing him off. Maybe Shiggy steals his quirk or just horribly cripples him? Or both!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I like the tree stump visual motif.

(The kanji in the name Shigaraki apparently translate to something like "dead tree" or something like that.)

Dolash posted:

Good thing that Machia is about to bring the rest of the League, Dabi included, from the hideout to Shigaraki.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I'm trying to figure out what's going on with Shigaraki's left hand. The two little finger stockings make sense, as it gives him use of his fingers without activating his quirk, but then there's the thing attached to the rest of his hand. I can't decide if those socket things are meant for prosthetic fingers or if we're going to see AFO stuff happen there.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ramadu posted:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Ramadu posted:

He's cool and fun and tries to be a good hero even if he's a big abrasive jerk and even when he's being maximum sand-paper personality he's usually giving decent advice or being truthful which is way better than Sweet Soft Protag's only internal self inspection or Todoroki's whole characterization which is just this face o_o.

He's loud and obnoxious and a cool and good dude. See:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Bakugo is good

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think Bakugo’s popularity (and if fujoshi fanart is to be believed status as Ochako’s love interest) is at least in part due to Deku having all the personality and charisma of a wet soapy dishrag

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think Bakugo’s popularity (and if fujoshi fanart is to be believed status as Ochako’s love interest) is at least in part due to Deku having all the personality and charisma of a wet soapy dishrag

Deku is pretty popular because he's an earnest good boy tho

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

...Why do they call it "Crumbling" when we know what the name of Shiggy's Quirk and its effect is?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Vinylshadow posted:

...Why do they call it "Crumbling" when we know what the name of Shiggy's Quirk and its effect is?

It looks like it's just a weird translation given how often they repeat that specific phrasing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I would caution against taking seriously text from a scanlation