Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

time to speed another manga to its end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
To be fair MHA has ran for over half a decade now even if it doesn't feel like it. Really sounding like this is the final arc though which is kinda sad, but god only knows how long it'll take given how long many final arcs in long-runners have been.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

OK, how many people thinkwe're never actually going to see Midoriya's father? I'm kinda leaning towards it.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

boku no hero academia? no no, the card is all wrong

Boku? No Hero Acadaemia!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Aurubin posted:

OK, how many people thinkwe're never actually going to see Midoriya's father? I'm kinda leaning towards it.

Deku is gonna be in the middle of a meltdown and start beating up a villain way too badly when suddenly, he hears those familiar words behind him

"are ya winning, son?"

rannum posted:

Boku? No Hero Acadaemia!

lmao

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

rannum posted:

Boku? No Hero Acadaemia!

Can we make this the thread title when the chapter officially drops?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This also seems like a really stupid thing for All Might to sign off on, or encourage. UA is a fortress with an army of students and heroes still with it. Even with things as they are, given that your big-bad whom you presume is still looking for you has a magical all-seeing-eye quirk- going to ground as a vigilante or whatever seems like probably one of the dumbest things you could do. The smartest thing to do is either operate/stay with plenty of backup in a legal capacity, or just gently caress all the way off and leave the country.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Aurubin posted:

He's gonna pop out from behind a tree as Deku walks away and drag him back to school, because it took all their money to send him to UA in the first place and that's why his dad's been overseas trying to make it back without success

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Fabricated posted:

This also seems like a really stupid thing for All Might to sign off on, or encourage. UA is a fortress with an army of students and heroes still with it. Even with things as they are, given that your big-bad whom you presume is still looking for you has a magical all-seeing-eye quirk- going to ground as a vigilante or whatever seems like probably one of the dumbest things you could do. The smartest thing to do is either operate/stay with plenty of backup in a legal capacity, or just gently caress all the way off and leave the country.

After he promised Inko he'd take care of Deku too. I guess in the end, All Might's gruesome death will be by her hands.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Izuku, done with UA, must now go to the one person who can help him in the next stage of his journey: his father.

Chapter ends with Izuku standing before an ominous 7-11.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Viridiant posted:

After he promised Inko he'd take care of Deku too. I guess in the end, All Might's gruesome death will be by her hands.

Inko using her telekinesis to pinch his carotid would be a dark turn, but i'm on board with it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

serious gaylord posted:

Inko using her telekinesis to pinch his carotid would be a dark turn, but i'm on board with it.

Well Deku wants to find out what makes people become villains, right?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Aurubin posted:

Man, Izuku is never going to get into a good college at this rate. Does Japan have a GED equivalent? What do Japanese plumbers make? HVAC?

deku has finished mandatory schooling Japanese high school is optional hero work doesn't require a degree

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

MorningMoon posted:

Spoilers are starting to pop up, and i like it
All Might confesses everything about OfA to Jeanest and Hawks
Endeavour also hears it. Does not understand.
Deku is discharged.
Press conference from the Top 3.
Hero Schools nationwide close down.

Next one is the big one that got me to gush about it here

Deku drops out of UA. Leaves a letter for his classmates and everything. Ends with him looking down over the city.

addendum to the last bit
The letter is apparently (could be someone just hopping in on the spoilertrain to mess with people tho) addressed to Uraraka, specifically, and i'm seeing some people on twitter legitimately angry that it's not to Bakugo lmao. Kinda super loving that i'm in deep enough to see this poo poo.

can we wait for the goddamn chapter to drop before talking about it?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Didn't we have a rule about not posting or discussing spoilers until at least a scanlation had been linked, or was that just the One Piece thread? If not, it should apply here too.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

why

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The only rule in place for this thread was to spoiler discussion of the new chapter until the official English Translation came out, but yeah we had changed the policy in the One Piece thread to not even talk about text leaks, basically no discussion of the new chapter until a fantranslated version came out, because we were getting chapter text spoilers on Monday, literally one day after the official release, which was more than a bit ridiculous, having the thread be spoiler tagged 6 out of 7 days.

I would like to ask all the regular posters in this thread if they would like a similar rule in place, of no talking about text spoilers before the fantranslation comes out, or if they prefer it the way it currently is.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
You can just not click spoilers. Its an entirely optional conversation and its not like there's any other poo poo to talk about at this very second so it's not like you're avoiding landmines to get to something else.

EDIT: yeah no its an entirely pointless rule.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Since the reason spoilers come out is shady at best. And there is an easily available, free legal way of enjoying chapters. I feel like spoiler talk should be discouraged.

It's so dumb to see poo poo about My Hero and One Piece trending on twitter days before the chapter actually comes out. It's even dumber when little Twitter shits start messaging the mangaka directly on Twitter (like they did when Bakugou took that blow for Deku a few months ago)
And I feel like every little bit to contribute in discouraging this should be taken.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I don't read text spoilers for the same reason that I don't read a wiki summary before I watch a movie, and they're annoying as poo poo for the same reason it's annoying to be surrounded by people who DID read the wiki summary and are excitedly whispering in hushed tones all around you. Sure, you don't HAVE to listen in, but it's still annoying as gently caress to see spoiler bars for a page or three and have to just not engage in the discussion at all, in the thread for engaging in discussion about MHA.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I don't really mind either way but someone in the One Piece brought up the concern that having the text spoilers and having them discussed means that by the time the chapter drops, a lot of people have said their piece or don't want to repeat points they brought up before so it stymies actual discussion that everyone can participate in which I kind of agree with.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

As long as all posts and replies to them are spoiler marked I don't mind. It's only annoying when they're posted several days before even the raws are out. This thread is usually the night before the fan scan which I don't have a problem with.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Rohan Kishibe posted:

I don't really mind either way but someone in the One Piece brought up the concern that having the text spoilers and having them discussed means that by the time the chapter drops, a lot of people have said their piece or don't want to repeat points they brought up before so it stymies actual discussion that everyone can participate in which I kind of agree with.

Everyone can participate in the spoiler discussion. Some people don't want to, which is entirely different. I don't post here too often but as a regular reader of this thread I would not like such a rule.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Cast vote for no regulation beside enforcing spoiler bars before official release

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
I'd vote for the same rules as in the One Piece thread - no spoilers at all until the scanlation comes out, then spoilers remain tagged until the official release.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I don't care about spoilers or being spoiled, but I do think leak chat is the worst kind of discussion possible about an on-going manga. Personally, I've even stopped reading the scanlations because in the past they've just been awful to the point of causing misunderstanding. The scans were smudgy/washed out and the translations stilted and awkward. Personally, it was hurting my enjoyment of the series. Talking about un-sourced chapter spoilers is somehow another step removed from even that for discussing the actual work as the author intended it to be received. It's lame, first and foremost, and I think it paints interpretations the wrong way from time to time. If I were the author/mangaka I would probably hate that anyone consumes my work that way.

That said, I understand the eagerness to know what happens next in an on-going series you enjoy and if people choose to engage with the work that way I think they're entitled to that, and having it posted here is better than having to go scrape through reddit for it or whatever. It's easy enough for me to see that someone posted leak spoilers and just ignore the thread until official release day. It's sad that all of the initial chapter discussion seems to happen around the leaks, but it's not like prohibiting that discussion would improve the thread, those folks would probably just go talk about it somewhere else.

There shouldn't be more arbitrary rules, they don't actually help foster discussion.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Rohan Kishibe posted:

this is basically how I feel. It's frustrating to see all the discussion happen when its just scans being out and then not much discussion when the official version drops and it's ten times more annoying when it's leaks

if we weren't pretty sure that the series is ending soonish I'd honestly prefer a separate thread for people to go hog wild with spoilers and scanlations, similar to how we have separate threads for anime and manga

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The raid took, what, a year? And the fallout is still going. I can't see this comic ending within the next 50 chapters.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I"d be against the rule, personally

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the One Piece thread became unbearable because the spoilers would start up again literally the day after the official release. as long as it's not that bad here, whatever

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i know what we can do to replace spoilers for the raws: talk about vriska, from homestuck. vriskachat is a much better alternative

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm always against discussing leaks because it's just annoying as hell and kills actual discussion.

I really don't understand why people choose to consume the story that way, it's hearsay of hearsay.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

anyway let the people who want to talk about the leaks talk about the leaks

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Aurora posted:

are we going to talk about our favorite heroes when spoilers are out or what. let people talk about spoiler discussion if they want

we've got two days until the official release so let's get to it. my favorite hero is batman

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
hey shut up

https://w23.readheroacademia.com/manga/boku-no-hero-academia-chapter-306/

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Aurora posted:

i know what we can do to replace spoilers for the raws: talk about vriska, from homestuck. vriskachat is a much better alternative

Jokes on you, I :s: Vriskachat.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Not spoilerchat:

How does everyone feel that Midoriya being a regular person is what makes him special now?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

deku really pulling his best alternate universe hibiki tachibana look lol

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Electric Phantasm posted:

Not spoilerchat:

How does everyone feel that Midoriya being a regular person is what makes him special now?

I like it.

It finally puts to bed the question of whether or not Mirio would have made the better successor and more importantly makes Nighteye wrong about something else.

But being a regular person is what made Deku special in the first place and that got lost along the way as he started to control his power. This brings that back in a way and thematically it sets up the conflict between someone who was born with the strongest power and someone who was born without any power and had to earn every bit of it and accept help from others along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Ha, I was right about them cutting away from the two mystery OFA holders.