Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

man, thinking about it quirks would open up a whole new field of amazingly lovely names that parents could give their kids

i guess exibt a is tetsutetsu tetsutetsu

Horikoshi has already thoroughly plumbed the depths of lovely name puns. Imagine being called 'Explosion Victory'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Not gonna lie I’m kinda surprised Bakugou’s ultimate move isn’t just a giant V made out explosions called Explosion Victory.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Nephthys posted:

Horikoshi has already thoroughly plumbed the depths of lovely name puns. Imagine being called 'Explosion Victory'.

gently caress you Explosion Victory is an awesome name.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

Not gonna lie I’m kinda surprised Bakugou’s ultimate move isn’t just a giant V made out explosions called Explosion Victory.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

MangaPlus 317
Viz 317

"Mom said it's my turn to be the Number One Hero."

Getting an ultra 90's Comic Book Dark Age vibe from this.

"DEKU? No, I abandoned that name long ago. Just call me... BLEEDINGKILL DEATHBLOOD (tm)"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

Getting an ultra 90's Comic Book Dark Age vibe from this.

"DEKU? No, I abandoned that name long ago. Just call me... BLEEDINGKILL DEATHBLOOD (tm)"

"The Bleedingkill Deathblood who always does his best!"

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
His equipment looks busted. Is he even getting regular maintenance on his gear? The stuff that's supposed to protect him against the recoil.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

:hmmyes:

I hope this show gets a revamped anime, like Shaman King.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

It is a drat brain puzzle why the anime is so subpar. Every pacing problem endemic to standard shonen anime that ought to be solved by doing seasons with breaks in between still crops up.

And it's not like the producers are just ignorant of these things. At the end of season 3, they had the miraculous brain epiphany that not all arcs fit neatly into 12 episode stretches and started the Overhaul arc in the last 2 episodes. They really should have realized that the Joint Training Arc was only 7-8 episodes of actual content and moved on to something else, even it it meant that the OP didn't reflect the content for a little bit.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's a kids tv show it ain't that deep

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I just wanna say the random baddy covered in tattoos of brides that Deku stomped looked neat and I bet he had a weird marriage themed quirk.

Also breathing a sigh of relief that All Mights car is okay.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

oh jay posted:

It is a drat brain puzzle why the anime is so subpar. Every pacing problem endemic to standard shonen anime that ought to be solved by doing seasons with breaks in between still crops up.

And it's not like the producers are just ignorant of these things. At the end of season 3, they had the miraculous brain epiphany that not all arcs fit neatly into 12 episode stretches and started the Overhaul arc in the last 2 episodes. They really should have realized that the Joint Training Arc was only 7-8 episodes of actual content and moved on to something else, even it it meant that the OP didn't reflect the content for a little bit.

I ditched the anime at the end of the Rescue Bakugo story and never looked back. Don't feel like getting particularly granular about the specifics, but it really felt like the gears weren't clicking except in rare, admittedly hype moments.

It never was one of the capital S Stronger Jump anime adaptations, and while I don't know if it's fallen into the depths of One Piece-esque self-parody, I'm not really all that interested in going back when the comic's plenty good and there's stuff like Kimetsu and Jujutsu Kaisen around

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The anime has been a solid adaptation IMO, I just think it has suffered at times from its movies being in simultaneous production. I know those are different base teams but it's pretty clear that some of BONES' better key animators and better free-lancers they regularly work with have been on the movies at various points and not on the TV anime itself. BONES isn't a sweat shop like MAPPA and doesn't gently caress up staffing/scheduling like almost every other studio so MHA's anime has never really outright had entire episodes that look like trash (see: any of the long-running anime adaptations, of which there are not many left), but it's weird what moments they decide get the big key animators.

It doesn't look like they're gonna skip MVA but I sincerely hope they don't gently caress it up because it's "too dark" or whatever for the time slot they got, or truncate it because "the main character isn't in this arc!".

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 21, 2021

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It would be cool if Stain, Gentle, and Overhaul (unlikely buuuut...) team up to calm Deku down. Show him that he got through to them.

If the class and instructors couldn't do it, why not the people he put away?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In any case, I’m imagining that “Punished Deku” as it were is just a temporary thing at best and he’ll be back to his old self later on (or at least, I’m hoping that’s the case)

But yes, more Gentle and La Brava please.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gentle should show up again because he's a good character and his arc was the best this series ever got

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
The anime adaptation is usually excellent when it needs to be, the Joint Training Arc is just correctly criticized for being underwhelming and the Overhaul arc had similar issues. It's just a rough span of the series all around. If I had a legit complaint it would be that they kind of flubbed the Gentle arc, it was much more enjoyable in the manga, but that's really because Horikoshi seems to love every chapter equally where the anime keeps picking and choosing highlight moments/episodes to give extra attention to.

Fabricated posted:

It doesn't look like they're gonna skip MVA but I sincerely hope they don't gently caress it up because it's "too dark" or whatever for the time slot they got, or truncate it because "the main character isn't in this arc!".

I really just think they decided to swap Endeavor Agency and MVA because MVA makes a better season finale and Endeavor Agency ties into the movie, which seems to focus on the Bakugo/Todoroki/Deku trio anyway. They've given me no reason as of yet to think they would skip a whole arc for any reason or drastically alter the content.

From before the season even started it was evident that if they kept their usual pace they would have time to cover Joint Training + MVA + Endeavor Agency and as of this week they're still precisely on that pace.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Let the Cruller save the day, you cowards

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Arist posted:

Gentle should show up again because he's a good character and his arc was the best this series ever got

Hell considering the way they're talking at this point they might pull out a "we will take anyone who can stand up and throw a punch to hero" deal and like make him a probationary hero or something.

Edit:doing this would set Stain right off too.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I feel like Gentle could beat Stain. He'd just turn his swords into rubber!

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

god bless

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Look, he's trying, but it's not his fault he's got the face of a newborn lamb

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Milk is a terrible drink to represent Midoriya. It builds bones that are harder to break. :v:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Milk is a terrible drink to represent Midoriya. It builds bones that are harder to break. :v:

Hence why he keeps coming up with new and interesting ways to break them even harder than before

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Deku looking like Todd McFarlane's Venom and I kinda love it negl.

If this isn't building up to Bakugou slapping the poo poo out of him I'm gonna riot

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

It, in fact, does not. The milk industry poisoned like all of america's collective brain in the 70's. Now its just a common misconception.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Vinylshadow posted:

MangaPlus 317
Viz 317

"Mom said it's my turn to be the Number One Hero."

Deku looks like he just walked out of Berserk, god drat.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

M_Gargantua posted:

It, in fact, does not. The milk industry poisoned like all of america's collective brain in the 70's. Now its just a common misconception.

Yeah I saw a video of Steve Jobs talking about what a great marketing job the milk industry did of convincing people milk was good for them and it was honestly mind blowing.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Milk actually does have calcium, which helps bones, but isn't as great a source as people think, and paradoxically too much vitamin A might be bad for bones.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Doc Fission posted:

Deku looking like Todd McFarlane's Venom and I kinda love it negl.

If this isn't building up to Bakugou slapping the poo poo out of him I'm gonna riot

This kinda feels like where it's going. Deku at least helped him get his head on straighter. Can't imagine Bakugou would let him continue on like this, especially considering his whole 'You can't do this alone, you idiot' bit.

I imagine Uraraka will be right behind him with another smack.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

Oh drat. It's always unsettling to find out something like that.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

hiddenriverninja posted:

Let the Cruller save the day, you cowards

The Hauler doesn't get to show up in the mainline series until Vigilantes finishes.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Azubah posted:

It would be cool if Stain, Gentle, and Overhaul (unlikely buuuut...) team up to calm Deku down. Show him that he got through to them.

If the class and instructors couldn't do it, why not the people he put away?

Wouldn't using Gentle to stop him and get him to calm down and eat something be a pretty effective way? Especially if he's been legitimately training to use his power with more control and precision since during their big fight earlier he served as a pretty decent counter to Deku's power at the time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Not going to lie, the Cruller showing up to talk to Deku All-Might Nerd to All-Might Nerd would be incredibly hype even though I know it won't happen.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

ImpAtom posted:

Not going to lie, the Cruller showing up to talk to Deku All-Might Nerd to All-Might Nerd would be incredibly hype even though I know it won't happen.

If it happened, I'd want it to be entirely by coincidence. Like, Deku is sitting on a bench or something and Hauler just walks up to him because he looks lonely, Deku notices his All Might hoodie, and then they just talk for a bit and he unintentionally helps Deku realize his mistakes.

EDIT: Also, Captain Celebrity should show up to help at some point.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Gentle invites Deku out for tea to calm him down. The chapter ends with Deku with tears in his eyes because Gentle pours the tea outdoors and the wind blows it into Deku's face.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

cool kids inc. posted:

This kinda feels like where it's going. Deku at least helped him get his head on straighter. Can't imagine Bakugou would let him continue on like this, especially considering his whole 'You can't do this alone, you idiot' bit.

I imagine Uraraka will be right behind him with another smack.

Something I saw suggested that I like was that Bakugo could try to make Deku see reason on this whole "I MUST FIGHT EVERY VILLAIN ALONE! NO NEED FOR LUNCH!" thing, things escalate, they fight, Bakugo's on the ropes despite coming up with every trick he could...

And then the rest of 1-A comes in for the save with Bakugo revealing that was the plan all along, reversing Deku and Bakugo's positions from the first villain test and letting Uraraka's whole "who saves the heroes?" pay off.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Shadowlyger posted:

Deku looks like he just walked out of Berserk, god drat.

now that you mention it, yeah. i wonder if it was an intentional tribute?

deku facing off against All The Evil and starting to lose himself was definitely already in the plan but the art style there seems like a nod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Gentle invites Deku out for tea to calm him down. The chapter ends with Deku with tears in his eyes because Gentle pours the tea outdoors and the wind blows it into Deku's face.

hahaha