Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Arist posted:

I feel like I've already laid this out in my previous posts. Even if the characters don't like him, that doesn't actually mean much because the series itself through external rewards (winning the sports festival) and characters we are supposed to trust the instincts of talking him up (Deku all the time in the early bits, Aizawa kinda in his fight with Uraraka) continually reinforce his "greatness."

Winning the sports festival wasn't a reward, at least not in any way that mattered to Bakugo. His behavior during the tournament and the award ceremony also led directly to him getting kidnapped.

Viridiant fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Arist posted:

I feel like I've already laid this out in my previous posts. Even if the characters don't like him, that doesn't actually mean much because the series itself through external rewards (winning the sports festival) and characters we are supposed to trust the instincts of talking him up (Deku, Aizawa) continually reinforce his "greatness."

His abilities are separate from his personality, and the manga has gone out of its way several times to reinforce this. He's physically strong, tactically smart, and doesn't underestimate his opponents. These are the aspects that make him worth praising, because these would make him a very strong hero, but not a good one.

But he's also a huge rear end in a top hat with an attitude problem, and will let something like his hate for Deku get in the way of his success. He throws tantrums when he doesn't get his way. He's rude to people, and almost too quick to fight. These are the reasons he fails the provisional test, why he almost fails the midterm with All Might, and even fails his very first practical test at UA. The midterm and provisional test even go out of their way to say that his personality is what's holding him back from being a good hero. You don't need to like him or anything, but saying that the manga ignores or praises his bad qualities is wrong.

e:
Yeah, this
v v v v v v

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Bakugo is a good, interesting character and I like him.

He's also an absolute rear end in a top hat and I hate him.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
People and fictional characters can have both virtues and vices, and sometimes a good quality can have downsides or a bad one can have upsides. Whether or not Bakugo is arrogant and abrasive isn't determinative of whether he is an effective hero, although it can certainly influence that. Sometimes you need a jerk who can get the job done quickly when time is of the essence and you can't hold out for someone who is both pleasant and decisive.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

but would you guys gently caress bakugou is the thing

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

winning the sports festival was really frustrating for bakugou because todoroki wasn't giving it his all. he wasn't happy with it and it wasn't a reward for him

the series treats bakugou the same as endeavor. like todoroki's comment about the divide between endeavor the hero and endeavor the dad completely applies to bakugou and is reflected in the way people react to him

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Shere posted:

Bakugo is a good, interesting character and I like him.

He's also an absolute rear end in a top hat and I hate him.

:agreed:

It would have been to easy too have him turn bad, or act as a double agent, by joining the League once he got captured.

Instead he stays true to that same desire to be a hero that drives Deku. Bakugo's a shithead and doesn't know how to do the interpersonal parts of being a hero, and he's well on the way to having an image not unlike Endeavor's pre-number 1 public face, but he's quite skilled in actually working a crisis situation as seen in the exam. His characterization is a great way to show why Deku was chosen in the first place. Bakugo serves the narrative while also retaining a distinct role.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Sato and Koda have similar personalities, and so they kind of blend into each other and each come off weak because of it. The only thing that differentiates them as characters is their powers. Shoji and Ojiro have the same problem.

The fact that they're all firmly plastered in the background doesn't help, of course.

Meanwhile, everyone else in Class A has a separate, distinct, fun personality.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My point was never "Bakugo is not a compelling character" it was always "I find him intolerable." It is a totally separate issue from whether I like the character or not, and has more to do with my finding the character to be toxic and expressing doubt that his arc will ever resolve in a way that properly addresses his "abrasiveness." Part of that doubt is that if you were to make Bakugo less of an rear end in a top hat to the point I could tolerate him, and show him actually making amends, you kind of destroy his character and the people who do like him for whatever weird reason would hate it. The reason I disliked him in the first place wasn't even the bad poo poo in chapter 1, it's the weird way Deku goes "you're amazing," because the way in which he's an rear end in a top hat is inextricable to me with the kind of hero he is and it's infuriating to see the characters try to compartmentalize that.

But we're a million light-years away from whatever point I was originally trying to make here and I'm probably going to drop this.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i mean at this point i'd just be happy if you'd stopping putting it so that everyone who is able to appreciate bakugou's character is some kind of a weirdo

it's fine if you can't stand the character just stop acting like you not being able to stand the character means everyone who does sucks

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
But I am some kind of weirdo. :ohdear:

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
i thought that second deku/bakugou fight really established what that relationship is about now but i would still like deku to punch kacchan one more time

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think you have to like bakugou but I don't think some of the arguments for why you shouldn't expressed itt have been accurate to what's actually happened

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

winning the sports festival was really frustrating for bakugou because todoroki wasn't giving it his all. he wasn't happy with it and it wasn't a reward for him

the series treats bakugou the same as endeavor. like todoroki's comment about the divide between endeavor the hero and endeavor the dad completely applies to bakugou and is reflected in the way people react to him

Well, it treats Bakugo as someone with the potential to be like Endeavor. His whole arc is people trying to get the kid to pump the loving brakes before that happens.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Patware posted:

i mean at this point i'd just be happy if you'd stopping putting it so that everyone who is able to appreciate bakugou's character is some kind of a weirdo

it's fine if you can't stand the character just stop acting like you not being able to stand the character means everyone who does sucks

I was being facetious, sorry.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't think you have the room to be facetious when you've done this whole thing multiple times.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

kidcoelacanth posted:

Let that child alone

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Let that child alone

They didn't say which Bakugo.

I mean, Mitsuki is right there.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

kidcoelacanth posted:

Yeah, gently caress Bakugou! What a jerk!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

That awkward moment when you forget Bakugo is in fact his last name...

"Who the heck is Katsuki."
"Kaachan?"
"...Oohhhh."

Bakugo, Bakugoh, Bakugou

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

I also think they’re similar in that I feel Horikoshi regrets how much of an awful person they were in their first appearance. They were obviously supposed to come off as bad but probably not that bad.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Nah. Bakugo got walked back a bit, but Endeavor is staring his mistakes in the face as his children take turns telling him how much he sucks.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Baku go home.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Vinylshadow posted:

That awkward moment when you forget Bakugo is in fact his last name...

"Who the heck is Katsuki."
"Kaachan?"
"...Oohhhh."

Bakugo, Bakugoh, Bakugou

I really thought there was going to be more to the villains going after "Bakugo" and the kids trying to protect "Kachan" when Mandalay gave out the message not knowing who he was, but near as I can tell nothing really happened. Everyone knew who everyone was talking about. Unless I missed something.

Rhonne posted:

Baku go home.

I wish these posters would just Baku Go To The Polls.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Izuku: Kacchan, quick, do a swan dive off the roof to save that falling baby!
Katsuki: ...did you just hold a grudge...?

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I like IcyHot a lot, which is weird cause I normally hate that archtype of character.

Same. Horikoshi subverts that archetype really well.

Fans: That character is so stoic and cool! I wonder what he's thinking?!

Horikoshi:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

All Class A kids knew that Kacchan was Deku's nickname for him.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Nah. Bakugo got walked back a bit, but Endeavor is staring his mistakes in the face as his children take turns telling him how much he sucks.

I just feel like Endeavor in his first appearance rather than only being a tremendously lovely dad and person kinda comes off as being a legitimate super villain in regards to how he feels about his family. Like in the sense that seemingly his marriage and the conception of his children meant absolutely nothing to him except as a device to create the perfect icyhot baby in order to finally defeat the pillar of society that's always been way cooler and more successful than him. And I don't feel he's quite that heinous in future appearances.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Terper posted:

All Class A kids knew that Kacchan was Deku's nickname for him.

I know, but Mandalay didn't, and the villains probably didn't either. I thought something was going to come of the difference, because otherwise why bother writing it that way?

I'm not saying it was wrong or anything, it was just a weird beat to include, to me.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

SpacePig posted:

I know, but Mandalay didn't, and the villains probably didn't either. I thought something was going to come of the difference, because otherwise why bother writing it that way?

I'm not saying it was wrong or anything, it was just a weird beat to include, to me.

Because then the kids, and Bakugou, would know that the one who discovered that information was Deku. It's there to add to Bakugo's "loving DEKU, OF COURSE" counter.

Terper fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 2, 2018

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah sometimes Shōnen does walk early characterization back and it can get a little confusing.

Hell sometimes they walk back the entire tone of a series!

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i chalk that up to those first introductions to endeavor being, you know, from the mouth of shouto who has every reason to feel that way and also isn't really wrong

parents don't really become people to us until like... the 30s, anyway. before that they're archetypes

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Nah, Endeavor tells All Might that he 'created that thing' to beat him and we see what Endeavor is like in full flashbacks. He's one of the most monstrous people in the series and that isn't just Shoto's perspective. I don't think Horikoshi regrets making him as bad as he was, he was very deliberately set up as an absolute loving bastard and last chapter it was just clearly referenced that he was an absolute loving bastard.

SpacePig posted:

It was really embarrassing for Bakagou, that's why.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 2, 2018

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Bagoku

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

SpacePig posted:

It made Bakugou ignore the warning because it was coming (correctly guessed) from Deku

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

So close, yet so far
https://twitter.com/DaArtiMari/status/999350587375398914

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Bakugou in Vegeta armor just looks like Trunks.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Bakugou is alright, but I enjoy the fact that there's a diverse cast and plenty to enjoy. I like IcyHot a lot, which is weird cause I normally hate that archtype of character.

Frog Girl remains the best though, followed by Gravity GIrl and the mechanic with Sniper Eyes.

I also wish the Sugar Muscle Boy and the kid who talks to bugs would get some screen time.

smh at anyone who is still Team Froppy at this point

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

Eej posted:

smh at anyone who is still Team Froppy at this point

froppy was cool until she cried like a punk and joined every other loving girl in class 1-A being a insecure low self esteem waifu bait for nerds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I....I uh, dont think her crying was the series trying to make her waifu material.