Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
In retrospect Pony girls power is really boring because she's just a crappier version of Hawk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
More power per telekinetic thing, less finesse. It's fine.

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

And range limit? Did you miss the part where they're strong and fast enough for her to spear Ojiro in the tail and fly him all the way to the jail without him being able to do a thing to stop them? Doesn't seem like there's a significant limit there. I'm more concerne with the fact that these little horns can hold up a guy like Tetsu's dead weight without any effect on Pony herself. Sure Hawks can do the same with a whole building full of civilians with -feathers- and that's insane, but that annoyed me too and also he's a pro.

The artwork makes it hard to tell but she was wrapped in his tail when she stabbed it and used her horns to carry them both into her team's capture cage. Whereupon she was free to return to the fight cause he had to release her according to the rules set out for the encounter. That's why it says "and conversely, no matter the situation, once someone is imprisoned, they are retired instantly!" It also took all 4 of her horns to carry the two of them at speed. She was able to hold up a person with a single horn but didn't seem like they were able to move quickly with just the one of them.

Yes, her quirk is very strong. Yes, it's definitely a weird weaker copy of Hawk's quirk (which kinda sucks). But it's not that overpowered since the need to either be in close proximity or to be able to see her horns to utilize them (not sure which since the action is a bit convoluted) limits their overall effectiveness.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Rouncer posted:

The artwork makes it hard to tell but she was wrapped in his tail when she stabbed it and used her horns to carry them both into her team's capture cage. Whereupon she was free to return to the fight cause he had to release her according to the rules set out for the encounter. That's why it says "and conversely, no matter the situation, once someone is imprisoned, they are retired instantly!" It also took all 4 of her horns to carry the two of them at speed. She was able to hold up a person with a single horn but didn't seem like they were able to move quickly with just the one of them.

Yes, her quirk is very strong. Yes, it's definitely a weird weaker copy of Hawk's quirk (which kinda sucks). But it's not that overpowered since the need to either be in close proximity or to be able to see her horns to utilize them (not sure which since the action is a bit convoluted) limits their overall effectiveness.
Thanks for this! I need to go back and read the chapter because I only saw Ojiro being carried by the horns, I missed her in there entirely. It's still really silly that he couldn't fight back against it at all, but that makes it a little easier to swallow. I still think the "effortlessly holding up unconcious bodies on one horn" is a bit silly but I did object more to the first bit than the latter.

Pony's still good despite all my complaining. Her last couple of lines in the fight were in English. :)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Hawks only needs one feather to lift a person, they can sense vibrations so they act like a form of sensors and he's got like a hundred of them.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
did you guys know dekus quirk is a weaker versions of all might's?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

drjuggalo posted:

Todoroki's account detected.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

im pretty sure torodoki still secretly thinks dekus all mights bastard child

even though he's actually endeavor's

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Stairmaster posted:

im pretty sure torodoki still secretly thinks dekus all mights bastard child

even though he's actually endeavor's

I would not be surprised if this is not just a common rumor at the school that Deku is oblivious to, but also a growing rumor in the pro hero community.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

drjuggalo posted:

Pony's quirk is a weaker version of Hawks'.

Satou's quirk is a weaker version of Deku's.

Deku's quirk is All Might's.

EDIT: \/ Fair.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 19, 2018

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Deku's quirk is All Might's.

:thejoke:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mr. Fowl posted:

I would not be surprised if this is not just a common rumor at the school that Deku is oblivious to, but also a growing rumor in the pro hero community.

I would be more surprised if it wasn't. Random previously-quirkless kid shows up out of nowhere with a suspiciously strong superpower quirk and makes it into UA of all places, followed by intense personal scrutiny from All Might himself that is also shrouded in a veil of privacy.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kanos posted:

I would be more surprised if it wasn't. Random previously-quirkless kid shows up out of nowhere with a suspiciously strong superpower quirk and makes it into UA of all places, followed by intense personal scrutiny from All Might himself that is also shrouded in a veil of privacy.

the only people who know deku used to be quirkless is bakugo

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Elfgames posted:

the only people who know deku used to be quirkless is bakugo

You think these hero agencies who are scouting new talent aren't going to look into the history of this hot new prospect showing up and placing big in the big sports festival? Deku's academic and medical history are also going to be available to UA so some of the teachers or Nezu will likely know.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Kanos posted:

You think these hero agencies who are scouting new talent aren't going to look into the history of this hot new prospect showing up and placing big in the big sports festival? Deku's academic and medical history are also going to be available to UA so some of the teachers or Nezu will likely know.

Nezu already knows about One for All though. He'd probably be able to keep Deku's quirkless history from the other teachers.

Deku also didn't get any internship offers after the Sports Festival(other than Gran Torino), so I think most heroes just think he's just some kid with a weirdly strong quirk that hurts himself too much.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kanos posted:

Rhonne posted:

Nezu already knows about One for All though. He'd probably be able to keep Deku's quirkless history from the other teachers.

Deku also didn't get any internship offers after the Sports Festival(other than Gran Torino), so I think most heroes just think he's just some kid with a weirdly strong quirk that hurts himself too much.

Guys I think he was just talking about students.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

RareAcumen posted:

Guys I think he was just talking about students.

They also referred to the pro hero community, though.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Uh deku mentions nobody knows the exact nature of all might's quirk so it's obviously something that you can't just go and look up

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Well so far it seems that the public opinion on Deku is "That crazy motherfucker that blows up his own limbs at you"

He might be safe from background checks just because nobody wants anything to do with that.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
For people complaining about the quirks not really having drawbacks its also important to remember that it has been explicitly stated that quirks are getting stronger. Thats aside from Endeavour getting Todoroki an ice quirk that will be able to combat the weakness of his fire

Deku uses one for all completely differently to all might which to most people will stop them thinking its the same quirk

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

To be fair Deku would have a easier time hiding his relation to All Might if he hadn't named literally every move of his after one of All Might's.

People can only give you the benefit of the doubt so long when you keep screaming "SMAAAAAAAAAASH"

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Yeah, but talk to him for a second and it's obvious that he's a HUUUUGE All Might fanboy. So maybe they write it off as fanboyism.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
His costume was even originally designed to visually resemble All Might. Deku is incredibly unsubtle.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

And yet that may be the best cover they could hope for.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

In case we forgot.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mulderman posted:

Yeah, but talk to him for a second and it's obvious that he's a HUUUUGE All Might fanboy. So maybe they write it off as fanboyism.

Also All Might was the #1 hero for what, decades? How long was he active? And on top of that friendly, affable, inspiring and willing to sacrifice himself to the bitter end. You think about that final battle he had against All for One and I can't imagine seeing someone modeling themselves after All Might to be any weirder than passing by someone who tank treads for feet on the street.

What I wanna know is if anyone think Deku's a lovely clone the government made just in case something happened to him/spare parts.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Also All Might was the #1 hero for what, decades? How long was he active? And on top of that friendly, affable, inspiring and willing to sacrifice himself to the bitter end. You think about that final battle he had against All for One and I can't imagine seeing someone modeling themselves after All Might to be any weirder than passing by someone who tank treads for feet on the street.

What I wanna know is if anyone think Deku's a lovely clone the government made just in case something happened to him/spare parts.

"he's obviously a terrible clone, just look at how he keeps breaking bones at the drop of a hat"

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mulderman posted:

This was literally Shigaraki's reaction to Deku at USJ after the SMASH Noumu intercepted, on that topic.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Flytrap posted:

Well so far it seems that the public opinion on Deku is "That crazy motherfucker that blows up his own limbs at you"

He might be safe from background checks just because nobody wants anything to do with that.

Yeah, you have to remember that, for as heroic and inspiring Deku is to his friends and classmates, all the public has to go on is his Sports Festival performance where he looked like a psycho breaking his own body apart. No one really knows about all of his accomplishments over the year. Endeavor got credit for taking down Stain, all people know about Summer Camp is that he almost died and not that he took down a known serial killer, only the other kids and the UA staff knows that Deku and pals went to save Bakugo, No one really knows about the Gentle fight except for a few staff members I think. The Overhaul stuff is a bit weird, because it feels like more people should know about what he did(he fought a giant monster in the middle of town!), but no one seems to talk about it. I think the idea is that the League of Villains attack overshadowed Deku's accomplishments there, but still.

And I feel like if anyone outside of the school did do a background check on Midoriya, they might be more likely to be suspicious of him. A previously quirkless kid suddenly shows up at UA with a powerful quick he can't control, then his class is repeatedly attacked by villains, and the leader of those villains has the power to give and take quirks as he pleases(assuming the public knows about All For One's power)? It would all seem a bit odd to someone who doesn't know what kind of person Deku is.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Deku is definitely in more of a security by obscurity kind of place right now. The link between AFO and OFA is pretty deeply buried, though. The criminal underground seems to know the most (or really anything) about All For One, and I'm not sure even they know what his power is.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Rhonne posted:

The Overhaul stuff is a bit weird, because it feels like more people should know about what he did(he fought a giant monster in the middle of town!), but no one seems to talk about it. I think the idea is that the League of Villains attack overshadowed Deku's accomplishments there, but still.

iirc it was a residential area so it was mostly housing around, so most people holed up in their homes and probably didn't see the fight before he punched overhaul into the air, so there weren't as many eyewitnesses as you would get in one of the major area attacks. also the outside fight was fairly brief? like <5 minutes. so that's not enough time for word to spread and people to congregate. i'm also assuming the details of the case were kept mostly under wraps from the public because they wanted to keep eri safe afterwards. so people probably know deku was part of the team, but not what exactly his role was.

Rhonne posted:

(assuming the public knows about All For One's power)

i'm going to guess that this wasn't made public. if it wasn't they would have mentioned that the member of the pussycats that got her quirk taken had her quirk stolen rather than saying she "became unable to use her quirk".

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I imagine Midoriya's secret doesn't survive to the end of the series. At least as far as his classmates go.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Fabricated posted:

I imagine Midoriya's secret doesn't survive to the end of the series. At least as far as his classmates go.

Oh yeah totally. At some point I bet the League is going to start targeting Midoriya because he has OfA(All for One figured it out, so other people within his organization probably know as well) and he'll either have to come clean to his friends and mother about why the villains are going after him specifically, or they'll out him themselves.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The discussion wasn't "everyone understands the link between Deku and All Might with perfect accuracy", it's "there's this nobody kid who has a quirk in the same category as All Might's superpower quirk who is now going to UA and seems to be being personally mentored by All Might himself for some reason, maybe there's some kind of blood relation there?"

If anything people not understanding the actual nature of One For All and how it's passed down would increase the likelihood of people speculating that Deku is some kind of illegitimate relation, not reduce it.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, but outside of his classmates, does anyone actually know that All Might has taken a special interest in Midoriya? It's not like they've been seen together outside of school except when All Might's skinny form was still unknown to the public.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The class has a betting pool on what exactly Izuku's deal is.

Shoto's "All Might's illegitimate child" theory has the most money riding on it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

The class has a betting pool on what exactly Izuku's deal is.

Shoto's "All Might's illegitimate child" theory has the most money riding on it.

For some reason, Kaminari is convinced that he's a vessel for All Might's soul and that's why he's got such strong punches and kicks and why he keeps screaming Smash all the time.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Rhonne posted:

Yeah, but outside of his classmates, does anyone actually know that All Might has taken a special interest in Midoriya? It's not like they've been seen together outside of school except when All Might's skinny form was still unknown to the public.

Aizawa has very clearly taken notice of All Might's personal interest in Deku and has commented on it, and it would be pretty unlikely if none of the other staff at UA noticed. All Might has been about as subtle as a brick with his meetings with Midoriya.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Many of the students have noticed that All Might dotes on Midoriya, but the only thing that has been said so far is from Iida, Uraraka, and Shouto.

Iida and Uraraka think it's because their quirks are similar and that All Might is giving him extra guidance since he appears to be so unskilled with his super strength.

Shouto of course thought he was All Might's secret love child, which would be hilarious if that came up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

Aizawa has very clearly taken notice of All Might's personal interest in Deku and has commented on it, and it would be pretty unlikely if none of the other staff at UA noticed. All Might has been about as subtle as a brick with his meetings with Midoriya.

Right, but no one outside of the school know about All Might's interest in Midoriya except people who already know about OfA.

It's odd that Aizawa hasn't figured it out or been told about OfA by now though. With all he's been through with this class, you'd think they would trust him enough with the secret.