Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Roland Jones posted:

No, I don't mean as limitations of her power, that's a completely different discussion. Legally, she can't just make whatever she wants for non-school/heroics purposes; she'd get in massive trouble if she were found doing that, as I understand it.

I'm pretty sure Yaoyozoru not wanting to make anything she needed was a one-off joke about how she wanted to try shopping at the shopping center instead of just making the clothing she needed since she's a sheltered rich girl. Her counterfeiting a shitload of money or precious metals with her power would be against normal laws without having to make special quirk restriction laws.

I don't recall them saying "people aren't allowed to use their quirks much" beyond school testing still being based on normal people standards so kids aren't allowed to use quirks to assist themselves in PE, because how the gently caress do you test all kids to a fair standard if some people have super strength and some people can teleport or whatever. A society built entirely around people having quirks where the quirkless are a pitied minority would make absolutely zero sense if quirk usage wasn't a regular part of daily life for the general populace. The restrictions probably boil down to common sense stuff like not using super strength to bust down walls instead of walking through doors and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Last Celebration posted:

I thought he was just an animal person like tsuru.

He's actually an animal with a super intelligence quirk.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I think an interesting thing about the All Might vs AfO fight is that AfO ended up handing All Might a massive gift by accident. All Might's declining power and health effectively meant that sooner or later he was going to either get spotted in his true form as his timer shortened or one of the people trying to kill him would actually manage to succeed, which would throw his status as the symbol of peace into jeopardy. Instead, All Might was allowed to have a titanic final clash against an incredibly powerful villain that wounded or disabled multiple other top heroes; this allowed All Might to reveal his true form to the public and retire from heroics as an unbroken heroic champion with the image of the symbol of peace basically untarnished. There would be no propaganda benefit to killing All Might now because everyone knows he can't fight anymore. In effect, by giving him a gigantic last hurrah, AfO made All Might's legend invincible and insurmountable.

Incidentally, Endeavor realizing this and throwing a tantrum about it is one of the most satisfying parts of the conclusion to this arc. :v:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Last Celebration posted:

At the same time things ended up rolling in a way so that his protege is super salty and he's imprisoned next to a fellow extremist hero hater, so it breaks even.

Shigaraki is perpetually salty all the time.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

For a theoretical society based around superpowered heroes to function, you'd either need some level of nationalization(more likely, at which point they're just super police) or commercialization(what happens in stuff like Tiger&Bunny and MHA) for heroes to do their thing, there's just no way around it. Fancy battle equipment, extremely expensive health care for injured heroes, and property damage claims from battles between superpowers clashing aren't going to pay for themselves. Even the hero who Stain respects and puts on a pedestal, All Might, ran a hero agency of his own(albeit a tiny unprofessional one) and took a paid job teaching kids to be heroes.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Charlie Bobson posted:

Stains problem besides the whole murdering thing is that he has beef with people like Ochaco and not just Endeavour level assholes

As far as the public is concerned Endeavor is a big drat hero who is so amazing at saving people and stopping villains that he's considered the second best hero in the business after goddamn All Might, and being a close second place to All Might is like being not quite as bright as the sun. Endeavor being a titanic shitheaded rear end in a top hat is entirely restricted to his private personal life and his family.

Stain's judgement is that of a crazy person with a lot of personal biases and incomplete information. He can't know anything about the vast majority of heroes in the slightest; he has no idea who joins the business for money or fame, who legitimately wants to help people, or who is a dickhead like Endeavor. He just decided that All Might is his platonic ideal of a hero and arbitrarily kills other heroes for not measuring up despite him not really knowing anything about them. He was ready to kill Deku and Todoroki straight up before eventually deciding that they might have the chops to meet his standards. He also doesn't really acknowledge that All Might receives compensation for his heroics just like every other pro hero.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 28, 2016

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Fabricated posted:

All Might is known to refuse awards, commendations, and praise however which is apparently antithetical to most other heroes. That an All Might is unequivocally clear about his message and what he wants to do to help people- he lectures Midoriya that being a hero used to mean doing volunteer work and the like and that you must be in it for "love of the game".

Casting yourself as the invincible symbol of peace for all of society is the direct opposite of refusing praise and commendation. Making himself the biggest name in the business in order to serve as a deterrent to villains and an inspiration to the people was literally the entire point of All Might's career. He did it for a good, noble cause, but to deny that All Might has materially benefited from hero society is dead wrong; like I said, he ran a hero agency just like everyone else(albeit a tiny and impovershed one compared to the big agencies like Endeavor and Ingenium) and accepted a teaching position based on his hero experience and prestige.

Stain has no way to know what heroes are doing their thing because they want to help people(All Might), for personal gain, or some mixture of both(Mt. Lady and probably the vast majority of heroes), he just kind of arbitrarily decided that All Might was the only one with pure motives.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Nahxela posted:

I think the omake chapters had shown the kids helping All Might relocate offices?
I don't know if those were canon pieces, though.

Yep, he had a dinky little office that he also lived in and the kids helped him move it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Mr. Fowl posted:

I'm pretty sure this is exactly it. There's probably also some legal reason, I'd imagine. All the active professionals we've met so far are part of an agency--wouldn't be surprised if they encourage that and discourage "lone heroes". It's easier to send the bill for all the damage if there's an office number, after all.

I would imagine that being tied to some sort of agency is a requirement for heroes simply for liability reasons, yeah. It's really hard to regulate a bunch of masked, costumed vigilantes without them having a registered point of contact. People like Ingenium and Endeavor leverage these mandatory agencies to recruit sidekicks and probably do endorsements and sponsorships and stuff; All Might lived out of his agency and never took any sidekicks or anything like that so he probably just used it as a glorified PO box.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I'm surprised that All Might didn't need to drop the bomb about how and why exactly Deku suddenly manifested a quirk.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 30, 2016

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Serious Frolicking posted:

That would be an excellent reason for her to never trust him.

On the one hand, it is directly All Might's fault that Deku is in a position where he has been put in extreme danger and is pursuing a career path that will put him in further danger in the future. All Might allowing Deku to accept One For All without consulting her is the height of hubris and irresponsibility, since he's not an adult, he's a teenager and she's his parent.

On the other hand, it is directly All Might's fault that Deku has an opportunity to actually achieve his sole driving dream and motivation since childhood which was previously thought to be impossible while also granting her son the greatest power in the world and the opportunity to learn how to use it. Prior to his meeting with All Might, Deku had pretty much retreated into a hopeless fantasy world and was living in denial.

I could see it going either way, really. All Might got pretty close to spilling the beans already by talking about how he believed Deku was his successor.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Fabricated posted:

To be fair taking Izuku out of UA at this time would be pointless. Shigaraki knows his name, his face, and he wants him dead. I doubt he'd give a hot poo poo if Izuku actually ended up withdrawing from UA.

I still don't get how dorming the students is a major improvement when the enemy still has a dude who can just teleport people anywhere he wants and knows UA campus already. You can't hide the dorms for too long if they're not obvious.

Every time the kids have been attacked by villains in the past, the reason why it's been a huge deal is that the pro heroes were too far away or too scattered to intervene immediately. If the kids are all living at a dorm in UA, presumably there will be a dedicated guard of pro heroes around a relatively concentrated area all the time.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Begemot posted:

Turns out her parents are a bird person and a rock person, deepening the mystery.

Maybe she's an invisible bird rock.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Aizawa's speech is super necessary because there needs to be a reality check for the students. The students have kind of slowly been getting used to repeatedly disregarding all orders to the contrary and putting themselves in terrible danger while separating themselves from the protection of the adults who are supposed to be their guardians and getting away with it with little slaps on the wrist, and it's really not a good thing; Deku is the obvious guilty party here, but several others like Iida and Todoroki have sort of become accustomed to going "Yeah we were told to keep our heads down and shut up here but we're HEROES so let's go help out!" like they did against Stain. Everything has worked out so far through a combination of luck and pluck on the part of the kids, but it's really, really easy for one of them to get terribly hurt or killed doing the stuff they're doing. Aizawa doesn't want to see that happen on multiple levels; aside from the tragedy of a kid getting hurt or killed, it would also be disastrous for UA, potentially disastrous for hero society in general due to the turbulence of All Might's retirement, and it would be crushing for him on a personal level because like Mordaelil mentioned, Aizawa has bled more for his students than anyone, even All Might. He obviously cares for them deeply.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Fabricated posted:

All Might couldn't bear to tell Midoriya he wouldn't likely be there when he finally faces AFO way back. I doubt he was foreseeing his death in combat, or speaking figuratively about not being able to fight. I imagine he probably will waste away from his injury.

I feel like it's likely that All Might's health will worsen pretty significantly over time due to his injury, yeah. Without the raw power of One For All bolstering his health, somebody who took the kind of massive internal trauma that he did doesn't have a long lifespan.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Soylentbits posted:

All Might promised to not die so he won't die. Obviously.

Well, he obviously won't die any time in the very near future. He was perfectly fine during the student visitation.

He'll probably deteriorate over the course of some years. If this series ever ends I could definitely see an epilogue scene of Adult Midoriya visiting an older All Might in a hospital room where he gets to pass on peacefully having seen Midoriya become everything he hoped. :unsmith:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Fabricated posted:

Midoriya and Banquet of Darkness Level Tokoyami are probably the only students at the camp who could've probably taken Muscular one on one. I could see Todoroki getting completely wrecked by muscular.

Todoroki pulling out all the stops and utilizing the full breadth of his powers is probably capable of beating almost anyone. The problem he has is that it's likely really hard to modulate his powers to stop someone as strong and dangerous as muscle dude without kicking the power level up to "whoops I loving killed him by burning him to death/asphyxiating/necrotizing him in a gigantic block of ice, this is incredibly awkward".

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

I don't think he can deal with someone who is agile or fast enough to avoid his stuff, like Stain or All Might (and probably also Muscle Dude, who was really fast). Really strong guys are also probably capable of just busting through his ice. Muscle Guy probably could have just launched himself at Todoroki and defeated him in one hit.

Given that Todoroki has shown the ability to basically create miniature glaciers almost instantly on command in the tournament arc, he could probably create ice sufficiently thick/dense to stop most straight bruisers(doubtful that he could stop the crazy guys like All Might or the anti-All Might Noumu, of course). In desperation, he could probably unleash his fire side's potential and straight up burn someone to death(though he would obviously never do that, since it's not a heroic thing to do at all).

He's got an amazingly bullshit quirk. Endeavor might be an awful eugenics-practicing shithead, but you can't deny that his messed up breeding program did produce one crazy-rear end powerful kid.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Space-Bird posted:

That's kind of one of the themes of Todoroki, he has to overcome the legacy and abuse of a really lovely dad, and he doesn't want to endorse his idiot father's dumb eugenics idea that not only didn't seem to work, basically wrecked his family, so he is hesitant to use his 'fire side'. The Yield to Trauma ratio isn't worth it, and the entire message is very anti-eugenics. A lot like how OfA came out of evil, I guess Todoroki's power did too, which is probably why he still wants to be a hero, even he is loathing to follow in this fathers footsteps.

He already got over the fire side hate in the tournament arc and the arcs immediately following it; the lesson that Deku helped teach him is that he's his own person and he doesn't need to hate half of himself just because his father is a horrible poo poo. Deliberately not using his fire powers for good would be like One For All users not using their powers for good because they came from an evil dickhead.

It's just that it's really hard and requires a lot of training and practice to use heat and fire effectively in combat without seriously harming or killing your targets, which is distinctly unheroic. It's way easier to just freeze someone in place temporarily or make a wall of ice to restrain them. It says a lot about Endeavor's skills that he can maintain a position as the second best hero in the business after only All Might despite having a power that would easily cause a lot of nasty collateral damage or injury, come to think of it. I can't imagine a hero would be popular if they kept horribly burning and mangling the villains they fought.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Switching to kicks doesn't even necessarily have to be a permanent solution, either, just a very helpful stopgap. He turned his arms to beef jerky and nearly destroyed them when he first started using OFA and had no idea how to control it in the slightest, so now they're hosed and if he stresses them too much with his imperfect control they'll be crippled. Comparatively, he's only hosed his legs up a couple of times, which means they're a lot fresher and less messed up internally; since he has far greater control over OFA than he did when he first started, he can continue being an active hero and practicing his power control without permanently destroying his limbs if something goes wrong or he has to go too hard.

Plus, Deku has a drastically different body type than All Might; he's a lot skinnier even with all his training, less like All Might's bodybuilder physique and more like a runner. Kicks might just be a better thing to focus on based on the nature of his body.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

GodofDiscord posted:

I would be pretty surprised if both Hagakure and Kaminari are both traitors, just not working together.
Really, the one thing I don't want is that the traitor could be the police guy, because that's the most predictable and consequently, boring and trite decision.

Police guy would be an odd choice because the villains apparently had no idea exactly how diminished All Might was, but police dude was definitely aware of All Might's true condition.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

All For One must have been terrifying in his prime.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

JD posted:

I think Deku's dad will maybe turn out to be a hero that died in the line of duty. Or maybe not a professional hero, but a regular guy that died doing something heroic, that might be even better.

If this were the case I'm pretty sure his mom would be a whole lot more reluctant to encourage his hero fantasies.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Fabricated posted:

I think it's silly that the provisional license is played up so much when the kids are probably more competent than the loving mook sidekicks and mid-tier pro-heroes who were getting loving wrecked by B-class Noumus.

Logically, one would need more than raw combat power as a prerequisite to being a licensed hero, otherwise heroes like the Pussycats would have serious trouble qualifying because half of them didn't have combat quirks at all. A lot of Class A is ludicrously strong in the raw combat power area, but a lot of them have emotional or judgment problems that still need ironing out. For example, Bakugou might be able to kick the poo poo out of every single mid-tier pro hero who currently exists in a one on one fight but he's still definitely not professional hero material in his current state, and Deku might be a walking encyclopedia of hero and villain knowledge endowed with the potential strongest quirk in the world but he's really loving bad at knowing his own limits.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Petiso posted:

Since we're talking about it, why is Jirou x Hagakure so popular? I must have forgotten something because I don't remember them interacting.

In the anime there's a scene where she gushes about how brave he was during the initial attack on the school where the kids got scattered.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The U.A not losing a single member is contrived and boring.

Their entire class has a substantial amount of experience dealing with actual life and death situations against honest to god villains trying to kill them, so they have a pretty huge edge on most of their opponents, and all of them are utilizing teamwork to cover each other from any major "gotcha" moments when they get ambushed by an unknown quirk(such as Kaminari saving Bakugou and Kirishima despite those two getting blindsided). It wouldn't be terribly contrived for all of them to pass(they haven't all passed yet).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

RatHat posted:

All Might's death would still be a huge blow to the hero world, even after he's depowered.

Yeah, the optics of the former top hero in the entire world getting brutally murdered by vengeful villains while totally helpless would not be good.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I think Yaoyozoru is the closest thing to a Batman analogue, ability-wise. Her ability to create anything is dependent entirely on her own personal knowledge about what she needs to make and how to make it and her normal human physical ability to deploy the items she makes effectively. It's not really that far away from Batman's infinite financial resources and utility belt; both of them are physically "normal" humans(insofar as any comic book hero can be considered physically normal) who manage to be superheroes by virtue of having genius level intellects and infinite material resources, they just go about it in different ways.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Rhonne posted:

I worry that Bakugou's words are going to cause Deku to second guess himself during this round.

I'd like to think that All Might's retirement and private mantle-passing to Deku has largely cured Deku of his second guessing and hesitation. The very fact that Deku's response to a person going "hey, can't you let us pass?" was going "nope, sorry, gotta do this" was already a pretty big indication of his growth in that area.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I was guessing that Wind Dude hated Todoroki cause he was threatened by Endeavor into giving up his spot for UA so Todoroki could get in, but I'm no longer sure if that's the case after this chapter, since he seems to be implying that they met before.

Todoroki got in on recommendation, which is basically the elite of the elite. Endeavor probably pulled some strings but Todoroki wasn't scrabbling for a spot, especially given his insane level of power and aptitude for a kid.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

This was the highlight for me. I love how Cousin It was given a "oh you done hosed up now" moment.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Fabricated posted:

Since fighting seriously will get them expelled and not interrupting this fight will cause them to get notable injuries which can't be concealed and thus get them found out and thus expelled...this fight is almost certainly going to be interrupted.

Yeah, the manga has spent a ton of time hammering home that it's absolutely positively not okay at all for the students to go off half-cocked and use their powers willy nilly without consequences. It would feel kind of weird if we went from an entire plot arc about the students needing to go through a ridiculously hard exam just to get a provisional license to use their powers in limited situations to immediately jumping to an impromptu street fight because Bakugo's ego hurts without there being horrible consequences.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Gyges posted:

Everyone in Class A have seen Deku using 100% of his power. That was the only way he used his power until just recently. From their point of view Deku powered down to the manageable 5% and Bakugou just saw him move slightly back toward 100%.

Remember that Bakugou has already fought 100% Deku, so the 5% to 8% shift isn't much to him either.

Bakugou has never actually fought 100% Deku, because Deku never actually used OFA against him. Deku used OFA to win their battle by punching through the ceiling but not to actually attack Bakugou in any way, because using 100% OFA against Bakugou with Deku's lovely level of control would lead to chunky salsa Kacchan sprayed across the walls. Most of their previous fight consisted of Deku using normal teenager strength martial arts to try to disable/dissuade Bakugou.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Blackheart posted:

Instead of raising the % of OfA he uses Deku should just learn the kaioken.

OfA basically is the Kaioken. It's a ridiculously powerful power-multiplying ability that only the main character has access to and he has to be careful about how he uses it because abusing it or pushing it too hard rips his body to pieces.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Dr Subterfuge posted:

No, One for All is a very impressive quirk. All Might could punch so hard that he changed the weather, and he's also super fast and super durable. It's kind of a bog standard Superman set, but his power is overwhelming. Part of being the Symbol ofPeace was the threat of being on the receiving end of that. The series goes out of it's way to say that All Might wasn't just indomitable, but it also goes out of its way to highlight that Deku needs to appreciate that aspect of All Might more.

Yeah, All Might-level One For All is in the tippy top class of quirk power. Remember that All For One put together a punch out of like thirty different quirks specifically to kill a weakened and almost dead All Might fighting on the final wisps of his power and AfO still got his rear end beat in a straight up punch off, no guile or tricks involved.

Deku, a weedy teenager who had just received the quirk and had no idea how to control it at all, managed to jump 100 feet in the air and blow up a 20 story robot by punching it once. Later he managed to blow through multiple floors of a concrete building with loving air pressure released by his fist.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

KittyEmpress posted:

Uh did you forget Ectoplasm the teacher? He looks evil as could be, and is super cool.

Ectoplasm rules. His power is to unhinge his terrifying monster jaw and vomit clones of himself everywhere, which is some pretty powerful nightmare fuel. I wonder how much of an uphill battle it was for people to accept him as a pro hero.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Gyges posted:

Aren't they all operating on their, essentially, place holder hero names until they become full fledged heroes? Still time for the debut of The Unbreakable Red Riot.

I don't remember that ever being stated but it would make sense that heroes wouldn't stick with the names they came up with as dumb teenagers.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Man, imagine if Overhaul's plan succeeded. Everyone basically collectively poo poo themselves when All Might retired and it's having seismic effects on society. If other pro heroes suddenly lost their powers permanently it would be pretty much the end of the world.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Gyges posted:

If it is successful it's just a matter of time until all quirks that do not provide an immunity to being shot by dart bullets are gone and the world is ruled by the hardened fists of Red Riot and his eternal rival Tetsutetsu Tetsutestu.

But what happens when someone shoots Red Riot with a dart while he's sleeping???????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

RedMagus posted:

:yeah:
No wonder the guy was really big into All Might, and that seeing his eventual death really crushed his spirit. Someone who thinks that way needs a friend/partner to help keep things light.

It also explains why he mandates that his employees be funny and upbeat.