Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

JosephWongKS posted:

Have we seen Invisi-Girl yet? Or has she remained invisible in all the chapters so far?

And how did she get get past the first test? Invisibility doesn't make you much stronger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Samba De Amigo posted:

Oh yea, that actually makes more sense. I would have assumed she passed only on rescue points, but only Deku managed that.

I actually have no clue, somehow it looks like she managed to take out SOME villains. Invisibility hijinks I guess.

Right? There has to be some gimmick there we don't know about. Maybe she's secretly a giant UFC bodybuilder.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

But if he uses individual fingers+his hands, he's got 12 shots. Would it be hilarious if he went "gently caress you!" while using the middle fingers?

He's got toes.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Hot/Cold guy seems pretty powerful in a similar way. What's to keep him from just freezing everything in sight? It doesn't seem like he actually needs to touch things to freeze them. I guess something with a specific ability like being able to generate fire/heat could counter it, but most people would be poo poo out of luck.

Collateral damage seems like a pain.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I went ahead and read chapters 19-21 and they were pretty great. I wonder how they're going to handle Midoriya transitioning to becoming more powerful; it seems like the instant he learns to control his power is also the instant he becomes stronger/more capable than the vast majority of characters in the comic's world.

It's not just control though. His body just doesn't have the musculature to support his power. Which for the purposes of this story means that he will never hit full power because the comic is never going to age him into his mid 20s except possibly in the last chapter. Control < swole.

Also he's going to have a power loss arc. Obviously.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Slime posted:

All Might goes from skinny twerp to a tower of muscles in an instant, though.

I was under the impression that All Might doesn't have the musculature to support his power either and that his control of his quirk was just forcibly buffing him up out of necessity. He's running off of willpower and mentor pride and he keeps bleeding out in twerp form because of it. He bleeds out a lot so that may be his version of Deku's bones breaking.

Honestly this is all speculation until we get a flashback arc. Which I'm hoping we're not getting soon because that'll probably precede him dying horribly.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

As far as they would know a one-in-a-million/billion thing happened and they have the same quirk.
But not literally the same quirk, mind.

Hand guy seems to believe that All Might is a murderous rear end in a top hat that just happens to be popular. He also treats one of his hands like they're his father's. So do his hands belong to family members? Can he use their powers that way? Did All Might kill hand guy's father? Did All Might's predecessor do it? Will they answer these questions in the middle of a beach arc?

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Kyte posted:

Hero Academia is doing amazingly well, it's not gonna get cancelled anytime soon.

Quite a few comics have been unjustly cancelled though.

Mx0!!!!

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Twiddy posted:

Did Mx0 compete with AssClass and One Piece in terms of rankings?

This isn't rocket science. Going by actual measures that most companies use to determine keeping things in circulation, this manga's not getting cancelled any time soon.

Yeah but on the other hand talk of potential cancellation leads to a perfect segue about the unjustness of Mx0's cancellation.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

I'm fairly convinced now that Topless Dominatrix Sensei isn't, in fact, wearing skintight spandex.

Her power hides nipples.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Kyte posted:

Given he could freeze Noumu to immobility I don't think he's that bad off.

It looks kinda evil though. That's tough on marketing.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Rexides posted:

"Hi there, Horie-Kun. Did you see the sketch of you I did for the omake in vol. 1? Yes, the one with the huge knockers! You're welcome :) "

I'd like to think that was some inside joke.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

Uraraka is going straight for Deku's headband.

You know Deku could threaten to lose to a specific team to keep people off of him.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

RatHat posted:

Grape boy's grapes don't stick to himself. Tape guy could probably tape it around his forehead though.

Yeah but they stick to other people and their bandanas. His power is crazy good for this fight.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I'm guessing that Midoriya is going to lose the headband. Otherwise there won't be as much tension for later matches. Either that or he's going to be forced to use All for One.

They're never going to finish the tournament before getting attacked by supervillains.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Gyges posted:

The optimal solution is that Team Deku loses their headband, grabs someone else's and the Deku headband keeps changing hands before the final attempt before time results in no one being in possession of it. Team Mount Erebus ends up the only team to retain their own headband, Team Deku has the highest single headband, and Team Bakugou has the most headbands.

Burn the headbands.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

tsob posted:

There isn't a hope in hell that All Might will go out defeated. When he goes, he's going out in a blaze of glory dragging the villains corpse through the gates of Valhalla in his teeth while playing his own theme song on a flaming guitar and riding atop about several horses as Valkyries simultaneously swoon and sing back up vocals.

Nope. Goes out saving Deku. Manga becomes Gurren Lagann.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Gyges posted:

Either he ends up with the headband of team Endo-Ectothermic or in the struggle both headbands get destroyed. I'm betting on both headbands getting destroyed and Bakugou destroying all the others in his rage attack. With everyone at zero an alternative scoring method will have to be used. Copycat pushed the envelope way to far, Bakugou ain't the type of guy you needlessly taunt.

If you destroy all the formations then the headbands won't matter right? They would need to be reformed to make points count.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Squidster posted:

Personally, I hope he fails out of the academy, and when the villains come to recruit him, he beats the hell out of them. I want him to be a standalone vigilante proving himself on the streets. He needs to be the angry grenade Batman to Deku's Superman.

He's Marvel to Deku's DC.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Vengarr posted:

I want to know who has the quirk "One for All". You know its gotta be out there somewhere.

Either it was Deku's secret quirk all along or some villain has it.

Presumably the Three Musketeers. Except villainous so Three Murderteers? D'eathagnon, Arson, Poisonthos, and Armedmass?

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

TriffTshngo posted:

I am all about it. Bring on the quirk exhibition.

I just want laser navel to take all of them out in one glorious page of reaction shots.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

There are a lot of ways failure can be internalized into a personal lesson, man, I'm just trying to give an example. We expect him to win because he's the protagonist, even with the odds stacked heavily against him. I'm just saying failure is an option and potentially a constructive one; one I wouldn't mind seeing.

Even the classic "It's okay to fail, everyone fails" would be at home here.

He's not going to fail because he was mind controlled because that's a super boring way to lose. Iida is actually probably the best place for him to lose at. Then Iida can win it all and be surprised killed by the villain's association. Maximum tragedy.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Peel posted:

I have no time for deus ex machina but I had no problem with this chapter. It wasn't a bullshit twist to get the writer out of a corner, but the introduction of a plot element in a low-stakes situation so it can be redeployed and developed later without being a deus ex machina. This was the first round of the competion, against someone Deku has barely interacted with. Of course he wasn't going to lose.

I'm also liking Shinsou. I expect he's not really a bad guy, just resentful of (through no fault of his own) having a quirk that a lot of people will automatically hate and mistrust. And his being a huge tool all fight is tactically vital for him since getting a rise out of his opponent is the only way he can win.

Deku would actually be a good partner for him because Shinsou could order him to do smashes that Deku wants to do but physically would have difficulty pulling off due to pain.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Captain McStabbin posted:

I don't understand everyone saying Deku got deus ex machina'd out of the mind control. Dude had zero control over his body, what the hell was he supposed to do? I know we all want more complex/uncommon stories, but having the main character get knocked out in the first round seems like a bad idea given this still runs in a publication targeted at kids.

Honestly it's more annoying that Deku seemed to be dumber for that one fight but it was plot necessary to introduce other aspects of One For All.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

Kind of surprised he had Yaoyorozu lose so early on.

Uh she pretty consistently loses. She was on the only team that lost against the supervillains. She's been outsmarted by grape boy twice. She lost the presidency to Deku and then somehow lost it to Iida despite him not being in the running.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

At one point he'll probably learn to supercharge his healing ability.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

The Summer Break arc will be Diamond is Unbreakable but with superheroes.

That's just Diamond is Unbreakable.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

kinmik posted:

It was awfully nice of Midoriya to give the bear it's fangs back though.

:v: Oh hey, Iida (or Shiozaki), I gave Todoroki a reason to not hold back anymore! Good luck on not dying in the next round, I guess!
:geno:

And if people can wax poetic about a fifteen-year-old frog girl's secretions here, I don't know what to tell you.

Deku will tell Iida how to win the tournament and then Iida will give a speech about how great Deku is. It will be like the student election all over again.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

I want Bakugou to win and then just challenge Deku for the hell of it. Also presumably all of Bakugou's liquids have the possibility to explode.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Since the Hero Killer has been contacted by the Villain Alliance guys I guess we're probably getting to the All Might death arc sooner than I thought.

...Come on, you gotta be thinking that. It's getting deathflaggy as hell. You think they're gonna have more than 2 "Villain Alliance tries to kill All Might" arcs? Standard stakes raising dictates it; I mean it's kinda early to potentially off a student.

I actually really hope it isn't the death arc yet, All Might is awesome.

It's a superhero homage. If All Might dies he'll come back as a villain somehow. Also Deku will lose an arm for some reason.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

tsob posted:

I'm sorry, what are you basing that on exactly? I'm trying to think of heroes that've died and come back as villains and outside of the Black Lanterns nothing is springing to mind. I'm sure it's happened on occasion, I just don't think it's nearly as often as you seem to be implying to say that Horikoshi will homage it with All Might. More often it's that death is just undone and the hero resurrected if we're talking Western comics. Superman, Batman, Spider-man and so on - they've all died, they've all come back like it never happened, which please god, won't happen here.

Besides which, it wouldn't make sense to happen. If All Might died and then came back, he'd have no powers, because Deku would have full control of One for All at that point and there's nothing to indicate the link goes two ways to say that zombie All Might would be able to wrest some/all of it back.

Wolverine for the Hand. Phoenix. Ant-Man in Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Kid Loki. All zombie comics. Every live action Marvel event has ended this season with a missing hand. Honestly I really didn't put much thought into this except that the main villain in this series collects hands and one appears to be his father's. I just figured he would collect somebody's hands at some point and that the person behind the hand guy would probably fashion another meat puppet out of All Might's corpse.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Since he's the 9th owner of All For One maybe Midoriya could've picked "Mighty No. 9". :iamafag:

It's a manga so Deku's teacher will be a 100 year old 10 year old girl. Or Mt. Lady.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

RatHat posted:

We technically haven't got an info panel on invisible girl's powers either but like Mina they're pretty self explanatory.

Invisibility is not invisible girl's power. That's just what she looks like.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

I wonder if Spaceman No. 13 is immune to Midnight's power thanks to his spacesuit?

Isn't he made out of black hole?

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

In that case, wouldn't the non-mutants be the mutants?

Nope.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

MrCinos posted:

I wonder how much Stain would mess up IIda. This chapter made me think that Stain, just like in this chapter, will see in Iida a potential to be someone who goes against society's norm and rules. So he will spare and spur Iida on giving even more fuel for more twisted sense of vengeance.

I just want Iida to go full Flash powers before he makes his turn.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Fabricated posted:

All Might has already been kinda irresponsible for not explaining what Midoriya was getting himself into.

He didn't tell him he was going to have to deal with destroying his body until he figured the power out, he didn't tell him that "oh yeah, there's this villain who is like literal quirk hitler who is 150 years old and killed my predecessor and nearly killed me and you'll prolly have to fight him...without me because I'll be dead", nevermind if giving away OfA kills you or otherwise saps your lifespan.

Even All For One was some major player in the deaths of each previous holder at BEST each person has lasted maybe 15 years with the quirk.

All Might thought that villain was dead. And he never had the body destroying issue. He's a pretty lousy teacher though.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Tsuyu has proven to be a good team player. She also was paired with birdboy in the original battle assessment.

If she and birdboy have a kid then that kid would be unstoppable.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Oh really? Gosh, I must've missed that detail somewhere along the line. Huh! I wonder what it could be then? Does she somehow distort space and time around herself? Or maybe it's some kind of psychic power? If it's some form of active camouflage or holographic field that she's somehow projecting, maybe she can account for things sticking to her.

You're assuming that her invisibility is related to her power. I mean birdboy is a bird but his power is SHADOWS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Well, the difference being that he's not cold and brooding, he's hotheaded, which makes him neat!

That makes him Naruto not Sasuke.